• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

FATHER's SHRADDA THITHI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Sanath

Same day as Gaayathri Japam -- Tuesday 8th August 2017. Please also note that Pournami thithi expires at 12.43 am, i.e. about three-quarters past midnight that morning.

S NarayanaswamyIyer

It is basic courtesy to send a note of thanks, when members care to answer our query ! :typing:

Smt. Raji Ram

When doing a paropakaaram, you do NOT expect thanks. Ours is a "dharmam-kara sathyam vada" society, not a return-expecting Christianised society. The reward (e.g. "thank-you notes") awaits in the next world (if you believe in next worlds!).

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Very gracious of you, Madam Raji Ram, to "thank me in this janma itself", though never expected this.

You might not be aware that whenever I perform graha-pravesham, bhagavathi seva, jaatha-karmam, naama-karanam, anna-praashanam, aayushya-homam, mahaa-ganapathi homam, sudarshana-chakra homam, other homams, archanas and abhishegams in other Brahmins' homes, I do not accept any aachaarya sambhaavana or gifts in kind in lieu. Even reimbursement of transport expenses is at kartha's total discretion.

So advising on matching of horoscopes, times for shraaddham, upanayanam, marriage, and other functions is also gratis without expectation of any word of thanks.

God/Goddess in His/Her benevolence has given me plenty in this world and in this life. No reason not to share all this with others in need when the chance happens.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

:pray2: Iyer Sir!

You can afford to give free service to fellow brahmins, since you had a fantastic job to earn for a your comfortable life. :couch2:

Madam Raji Ram

The so-called "fantastic job" was community service for decades as a humble and obedient civil servant under colonial and post-colonial masters and thereafter as a practising lawyer defending for a pittance or pro bono those accused of capital crimes, and fighting in the Labour Courts and in the High Court for the rights, remuneration, and repatriation conditions of overseas workers (mostly from India) against wealthy profit-oriented employers denying workers their legal rights.

No high earnings or "comfortable life" as you seem to accuse. Just lived within my means, sharing with deserving others, rather.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Iyer Sir,

Living a comfortable life is a blessing and I am sure you have it, like many others in our dear forum! :D

FYI, I live a comfortable life without a palatial house, microwave oven, fully automatic washing machine,
an I-phone,

whatsApp, FB account and bundles of shares in different companies! Living within means gives all the comforts we need.

Of course, different people
have different perceptions for 'Comfort'
! My perception is simple living and high thinking! :thumb:

"Jack the Ripper" had a fantastic job ridding the world of prostitutes (a community service without pay). It is all perspective.

It is all a perspective.

Using the community (including this forum) without gratitude is wrong.
Even our Gods expect it. We have so many stories about it. Please read Satynayan Katha.
Expressing gratitude is civilization, not exclusive to Christianity as expressed.
There is no reason to cast aspiration on the motives of the individual.
It has become a habit for people to post a question in the forum and never come back.
I think that is rude.

Anyone who can publicly proclaim (with or without forked tongue) that mass murder of degraded women is a community service (with or without pay) needs to have his head examined, in my most humble opinion. Nothing to do with alleged "perspective".

Your Gods expect forum members not to use the forum without expressing gratitude? Where and when have they expressed ingratitude, most respected Sir?

When you perform acts of dharmam, one of the cardinal duties consequent on your birth as a Brahmin, one of the commandments of your Vedams, you do NOT expect thank-you notes, money, or gifts in return.

Even the Christians (whom you seem to put down) have a saying, "Let not the left hand know what the right hand does." They mean charity and charitable acts should be done in private.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Madam Raji Ram

Hope your "comfortable life" includes non-material things.

Like a loving and faithful husband whom you honour and respect and who honours and respects you, and TREASURES you, adoring children who always keep in touch and regale you with tales of the achievements (and failures) of your grandchildren, valuable neighbours with whom you can easily "click" and exchange useful information, forum members and other friends who understand and appreciate you and are worthy of your appreciation. And are ready, eager and willing to come to your help whenever needed.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Please calm down, Iyer Sir. :)

You have been in the U S of A and know that even keeping a door open for the next person who

enters after us, is acknowledged with a smile and thanks. These are NOT generally seen in India!

BTW, there is no need to 'show' ingratitude because

''ingratitude
means a discreditable lack of gratitude''

Dear Iyer Sir,

I might have done lot of puNyam in my previous birth to get my parents, loving siblings, gem of a man as my husband,

an intelligent son with many achievements and a huge group of friends and relatives (especially my in-laws).

Every second, I thank the Almighty for showering his blessings on me! :hail:

hi

using the personal names ....its not good....we can discuss in general.....not in any individual name...it shows LACK OF MATURITY...

may be biologically aged....not in mentally......mental maturity is very important than physical age...

Expressing gratitude for help rendered is a sign of a human being...even animals show gratitude in many ways.
There is no harm saying Thank you to anyone or even to an animal for that matter.

Sometimes some think they act selflessly and say they do not seek any reciprocation but mostly such types of individuals are harsh in dealings and words and have sky high Ahamkara..many great donors have an ego that they get to "give and donate" to others feeling as if they are higher than anyone else.

Sweetness of speech is important it makes a lot of difference.

A simple smile and thank you from anyone(even if we are not really looking for any gratitude) makes a world of a difference.

Generally speaking 99.99% of people who claim they do not expect even a thank you do not say thank you either.

Dear Madam Raji Ram

Can't find words which can adequately express my admiration for you and yours, especially your close family, and faith in the Almighty.

Yes, I have been in USA, UK, Europe, Canada, Australia and other Christianised countries. Have been to their churches, their cemeteries, their basilicas, their cathedrals, their "mother houses", their Assemblies, observed their rites and rituals, read their scriptures, listened to their sermons and orations, their daily catechisms and Bible stories.

But their values are not mine. Though I do observe the advice: oor odu oththu vaazhu, when I am abroad.

Their basic misbeliefs of original sin, mortal sin, venial sin, saviour, resurrection, bodily assumption to heaven, immaculate conception, virgin birth, holy ghosts, holy father without holy mother, buying forgiveness of sin through donations to church and to church fathers, treating everyone else as heathens destined for hell -- none of these appeal to me.

No point disputing that "keeping-door-openers" in USA are acknowledged with thanks. Also that visitors enter our houses with shoes on. Have been to Japan. Even the slightest action is accompanied by a deep bow, and we bow in return.

In India we greet all comers with raised clasped palms, not handshakes. The young stand up when elders enter. We light ghee lamps, not break bottles of champagne, when opening a new office. We garland VIPs, not give them boxes of cigars, or bottles of liquor, and so on. Let us keep it that way.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

A quote to ponder......

8a0863367d121b076fac9de55ca3d1de--interesting-quotes-awesome-quotes.jpg

Source: Google images.

f1f19ffdb8ba92468fbab67628c130fd--hard-day-quotes-random-quotes.jpg

Source: Google images.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expressing gratitude for help rendered is a sign of a human being...even animals show gratitude in many ways.
There is no harm saying Thank you to anyone or even to an animal for that matter.

Sometimes some think they act selflessly and say they do not seek any reciprocation but mostly such types of individuals are harsh in dealings and words and have sky high Ahamkara..many great donors have an ego that they get to "give and donate" to others feeling as if they are higher than anyone else.

Sweetness of speech is important it makes a lot of difference.

A simple smile and thank you from anyone(even if we are not really looking for any gratitude) makes a world of a difference.

Generally speaking 99.99% of people who claim they do not expect even a thank you do not say thank you either.
Dear Renu,

I fully agree with your views, especially the last sentence! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back