• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The gait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raji Ram

Dear friends,

I was thinking for the past few days, why many elderly people walk with a gait reminding us of the reverse-pendulum of a wall clock!

My doctor dad used to say, 'Pregnant women look like PiLLaiyAr and walk like a duck'. Why does the stylish gait change? The reason

should be managing the center of gravity (CG)! Yes! The heavy weight makes a person keeps the legs far apart , to make sure that the

vertical line from the CG of the body always lies within the two legs, while walking! When the legs are kept in such a way, it is difficult

to bend the feet and the action of a robot starts here! Imagine the gait with legs far apart
and feet not bending! It is sure to resemble

a duck. And, the body will oscillate like a reverse pendulum! The fear of balance also makes an elderly person keep the feet far apart!

So what is the solution? Walking on two imaginary parallel lines with a distance of about ten inches in between, improves the gait

to a great extent - Left line for left foot and right line for right foot! I am sure because I tried this trick in front of a full sized mirror,

several times! The most important point is to maintain normal weight always! :cool:

Any thoughts on this?
icon3.png

I was advised to do this exercise everyday for about 15 minutes to get better balance and minimise falling down risk due to giddiness/ old age/ light head.

Follow a single line, real or imaginary, i.e. keep place the left and right feet on this single line. Perhaps only lady models did this to get attention. It helps.

Progression to anna gati from gajagati!

Dear friends,

I was thinking for the past few days, why many elderly people walk with a gait reminding us of the reverse-pendulum of a wall clock!

My doctor dad used to say, 'Pregnant women look like PiLLaiyAr and walk like a duck'. Why does the stylish gait change?

Any thoughts on this?
icon3.png

Dear RR ji,

When I was a teen I used to perfect my walk by practicing walking with a book on my head at home and making sure it does not fall..keep head straight..shoulders extended back and walk in a manner where my feet cross each other as I walk so that the foot prints form 1 line...it really good in the long run to have good gait and posture..it helps equilibrium and till today I walk like this.

I know people will comment "oh she is doing the cat walk" but who cares what people think cos health is wealth.

Last edited:
men think of functionality as regards gait. pot bellied think of bending exercise besides walking on a straight line fearing also whether they fall apart while attempting these.. ladies specially try straight line walking so that it looks great to others.I prefer the catwalk to potbellied one. who will not

I was advised to do this exercise everyday for about 15 minutes to get better balance and minimise falling down risk due to giddiness/ old age/ light head.

Follow a single line, real or imaginary, i.e. keep place the left and right feet on this single line. Perhaps only lady models did this to get attention. It helps.

Progression to anna gati from gajagati!
Real cool exercise, Sir! Actually when the ten inches between parallel lines is reduced to 4" the gait is much better.

I wrote ten inches for the starters! I have seen some people walk with legs following lines more than 18" apart!!

The single line walk might be like 'cat walk' of the models!! :)

Dear Renu,

For most of the seniors here in forum, this might give an idea to improve their gait!! ;)

So....... Start walking on parallel lines, 10" apart and gradually reduce the distance!

Let all the mAmAs and mAmis be stylish! :thumb:

Tom cat walk!

Real cool exercise, Sir! Actually when the ten inches between parallel lines is reduced to 4" the gait is much better.

I wrote ten inches for the starters! I have seen some people walk with legs following lines more than 18" apart!!

The single line walk might be like 'cat walk' of the models!! :)

Gait problem, top to bottom

HMM.. MAM, April Fool is 4 more weeks to go, i thought there was a job for me in this thread!

anyway the idea is if there is backpain/hip pain get it assessed by a doc. the doc will do some clinical tests to make sure you dont need a scan.

gait problems can originate in the head, spine, hip, limbs....

If the doc feels there is nothing needs to be done then start/continue physiotherapy... a good one, who can spend 30 min assessing your range of movements and prescribe you a set of physiotherapy exercises...

PM me if you need more personalised info (i am in a related field)... the link is for general reading only.:clock:

Back Strengthening Exercises

Dear Sandhya,

Thanks for your kind offer. When I see many elderly mAmAs and mAmis, I immediately remember a reverse pendulum!

So, I started analyzing how the gait changes because of
keeping legs far apart due to fear of falling down while walking.

When a person walks with less space between the two imaginary lines on which he /she walks, the gait looks good. :)

Let us wait for P J Sir to respond! :ranger:

Raji Madam

Thanks for expecting my views on this.

It is very easy to walk and practice in any US cities as there is a separate lane for walking; i do a minimum of 10000/- steps every day keeping a track of my walk using stepometer!!

Amazon.com: Kinetik Stepometer: Health & Personal Care

It amounts to about 5 Km every day.

My wife walks with me whenever possible for her!!

Although this is difficult during icy winter times, occasionally i go to Sports complex with my son, and practice walking on special track provided inside the complex.

I maintain my weight almost same varying between 52-55 kg for the past 40 years or so.

I play with my grandsons, soccer, for a short time in our backyard .

At this age ( just crossed 75) i restrict my diet, starting the day with oats milk, not eating outside, sleep a minimum of 8 hours in a day!!

I am a diabetic patient, take medicines regularly, ( got it from Chennai ).

You wont believe me if you see me in person that i am 76 old!!

Will meet you when come to Chennai in June/July this year!!

Last edited:
Raji mam, your posts in this thread are too technical. What on earth is a reverse pendulum?

Dear Biswa Sir,

Sorry to have confused you! I should have written 'upside down' pendulum!! Please use your imagination!

The pendulum oscillates left and right from the point of suspension. The body oscillates similarly as an

upside down pendulum, with hip as the point of suspension and head as the bob! Tic - Toc - Tic - Toc :D

simple-pendulum-suspension.gif

Picture courtesy: Google images.

Dear P J Sir,

Wow! Your weight is only below 55 kg! That sounds great! Your gait should be worth watching!! :thumb:

You are most welcome to my sweet home!

P.S: The obesity in people spoils their gait because of the constant effort to keep the CG is in the right place! :lol:

Dear Biswa Sir,

Sorry to have confused you! I should have written 'upside down' pendulum!! Please use your imagination!

The pendulum oscillates left and right from the point of suspension. The body oscillates similarly as an

upside down pendulum, with hip as the point of suspension and head as the bob! Tic - Toc - Tic - Toc :D

Picture courtesy: Google images.

OMG Raji mam, you should have sat for IIT entrance yourself. Did you ever consider mechanical engineering? You are scaring everyone with center of gravity, point of suspension, frequency of oscillation etc. Maybe you were Galileo in a previous birth!

That is too much :smow: Biswa Sir!! :)

But FYI, I do all kinds of repair works for our family (siblings of Ram and me included) and nicknamed

'kalaivAni store', where musical instruments are repaired in Coimbatore. My latest new creations are

easy-madisAr saree and two-minutes-kid's-saree!! :thumb:

my wife has mobile download which counts steps and shows calories burnt . do not know its effectiveness. . I prefer my normal walk and not count the steps.

The gait of elephants - really majestic and hence God's gait compared to this!

Mam,

Why compare humans with animals? We are unique creation of God and have our own style of gait, worth watching.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear P J Sir,

Wow! Your weight is only below 55 kg! That sounds great! Your gait should be worth watching!! :thumb:

You are most welcome to my sweet home!

P.S: The obesity in people spoils their gait because of the constant effort to keep the CG is in the right place! :lol:

Raji Madam

Right now my weight is only 52 Kg

This range 52-55 kg is maintained by me for the past 25 years!!

Dear Balu Sir,

Lord Krishna's gait is compared to the elephant's gait! :thumb:

I posted the relevant song of Saint Thyagaraja, already.

....... Right now my weight is only 52 Kg

This range 52-55 kg is maintained by me for the past 25 years!!
You are also my role model, P J Sir, like my brother who maintains his weight perfectly!

Recently, he took over as V C of a university. On the first day, there was a huge gathering to welcome him and
they led him to the lift. But he started climbing the stairs and other doctors had to follow him, fretting and panting!
:bump2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back