Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where does the Human soul live in the body?

0 Not allowed!
    Where does the Human soul live in the body?

Bhagawat Gita in 2.17
    This verse more clearly explains the real nature of the soul, which is spread all over the body. Anyone can understand what is spread all over the body: it is consciousness.
    Bhagavad Gita As It Is, 2: Contents of the Gita Summarized, Text 17.
    Where does the soul reside in the body? Is the soul same in animals too? - Yahoo! Answers India

Neuroscientists seems to think that soul lives in the Brain
    Where Does Your Soul Live? | Create Your Health

According to Brama kumaris

The ‘seat of the soul’ is the third eye (approximately in the center of the forehead, where the pituitary and pineal glands are located).
    Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual Organization (Raja Yoga)

Buddhism denies the existence of a permanent entity that remains constant behind the changing corporeal and incorporeal components of a living being.
    Soul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Testament does not distinguish between physical and spiritual organs.
    The Old Testament View of Human Nature

The learned members please give your views on this fascinating subject,
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Sri. Padmanabhan, Greetings.

I don't know if the soul 'lives' all over the body. I don't think we lose part of the soul in the event of a limb or two gets dismembered in an accident. On the other hand, body system shuts off the blood supply to the extremeties if low on fluids. In other words, naturally our body is designed to keep our brain supplied. Going by that, it is quite difficult to think 'soul' could be situated other than our brain. But then again, I don't even know if we have a soul.

Cheers!
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Soul has a specific biblical meaning. It is arising out of a belief system and is outside of our ability to reason. In addition it also happens to be an unreasonable concept as well.

Sukshma Sarira is often translated as Soul which leaves the physical body at death. Based on context it is accurate to refer it as Atma. However the word Atma has a significantly different meaning which is not inconsistent with it being used to refer to even the body-mind-sense complex.

Hence the biblical word Soul is translated as Atma. However there is no Soul per se.

This overloaded term called Atma has presented challenges to both casual readers and well informed authors as to how to explain it all. So there is call kind of concoctions made and the net result is a view that is most unlikely. Someone may use the word 'bound', or 'self and Self', 'trapped Atma in a body' etc but believing this requires a mind trained to accept unreasonable ideas. When too many axiomatic items are brought in to explain anything even using the best metaphor there is it is wrong and our scriptures thankfully do not imply the common meanings as explained or translated at all ...

The summary presented in the Op as to various belief system is various religion is nice. But if someone is committed to not accepting that is unreasonable (which is a different concept from 'above reason') then they have to reject the understanding presented. It is hard to have a casual conversation in my view to explain what is correct because that is what every book tries to assert. Even if one thinks they understand the meaning of certain essential verses, reconciling all the 700 verses of B.Gita requires a proper teacher that is hard to find.

My view is that to understand the concepts of Atma and Sukshma Sarira one needs a 'qualified teacher' and a willingness to not accept a single idea that is not reasonable. Questioning and not accepting what is unreasonable is an expression of Shraddha.

Sukshma Sarira is thought to pervade the physical gross body since it is not associated with space and it is not "I " anyway. Just like the physical body is objectified by me so it is not "I". Therefore nothing happens to my "real I" at death
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Jeevaatma is compartmentalized individual consciousness which pervades the body.

Paramaatma is described as All Pervading Universal Consciousness.

Microcosm mimics Macrocosm.

What is in the Brahmanda is in the Pindana and vice versa.

But technically if you look at it ..it seems that there is actually only the Universal Consciousness animating all entities..so going by that there is only the Super Soul and nothing more.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Jeevaatma is compartmentalized individual consciousness which pervades the body.

Paramaatma is described as All Pervading Universal Consciousness.

Microcosm mimics Macrocosm.

What is in the Brahmanda is in the Pindana and vice versa.

But technically if you look at it ..it seems that there is actually only the Universal Consciousness animating all entities..so going by that there is only the Super Soul and nothing more.
    Consciousness 'pervades' (I dislike that word :-) ) space and time since it beyond space and time. It 'pervades' inanimate and living objects and continues to 'pervade' dead body too ...

I tend to avoid use of words like 'compartmentalized' which imply space limitation by some unknown entity. We know there is no such entity.

The individual lines above can be argued as correct but it is the last line that in more precise ...
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Renukaji
    Your answer is more confusing; your end statement 'there is only the Super Soul and nothing more' mean there is no individual soul? Am I right ?
    As you are a Doctor, do you not see any logic in
    Neuroscientists belief that soul lives in the Brain?
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tks View Post
    Consciousness 'pervades' (I dislike that word :-) ) space and time since it beyond space and time. It 'pervades' inanimate and living objects and continues to 'pervade' dead body too ...
    Dear TKS ji,

I fully agree with what you wrote.

Yes..even a dead body is pervaded but since the Subtle Body has left the Physical Body..the body can not be animated and hence dead.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Raghy Sir

Greetings
    You are cleverly avoiding any direct answer;Going through this sentence "On the other hand, body system shuts off the blood supply to the extremeties if low on fluids. In other words, naturally our body is designed to keep our brain supplied. Going by that, it is quite difficult to think 'soul' could be situated other than our brain" one would believe that you support that Soul lives in the Brain; but your last sentence " I don't even know if we have a soul"
    throws every thing out!!
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    videya videya Ramayana keetu seethaikku raman chittappa ngra mathirilla irukku. ada kadavule.

is it that hard?
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmanabhan Janakiraman View Post
    Renukaji
    Your answer is more confusing; your end statement 'there is only the Super Soul and nothing more' mean there is no individual soul? Am I right ?
    As you are a Doctor, do you not see any logic in
    Neuroscientists belief that soul lives in the Brain?
    Dear Sir,

Neuroscientists do not acknowledge the presence of a subtle body as far as I know off.

Rene Descartes(1596-1650) came close to describe the seat of the soul as in the pineal gland..more later.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast