• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Widows and Hindu/ Brahmin tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear HH

Please could you elaborate on the sentence in bold. This explanation is based on which slokas of the Gita or from where.

Thanks.

Please see below:

adau krta-yuge varno nrnam hamsa iti smrtah
krta-krtyah praja jatya tasmat krta-yugam viduh

In the beginning, Satya-yuga, there was only one social class, called "hamsa". In that age everyone was perfect (in devotional service) from birth. That age is therefore known as Krta-yuga, or the age in which all religious duties are fulfilled. (Bhag. 11.17.10)

na viseso' sti varnanam sarvam brahmam-idam jagat
brahmana purva-srstam hi karmabhir-varnatam gatam

[Brghu Muni said] Previously there was only one varna. Because every-
one was born of Brahma, everyone was a brahmana. However, later on different castes were categorized according to their activities.
(Mahabharata, Santi Parva 188.10)

Anand,

Thus a small dharmic or adharmic action could lead to a reaction whose impact could be much more powerful.

Please cud you explain what is "dharmic action" and "adharmic action" ?

When we blame karma or previous deeds, there is an inherent understanding that a good deed or bad deed in a previous birth has possibly caused an impact now. In my opinion it is not a fatalistic view but something which gives extra strength to cope with the condition.

Any specific reasons why you think the understanding of a good deed or a bad deed or begetting results of past actions now or karma is not a fatalistic view?

Other than a few eccentric people, I don’t think anyone is interested in who he or she was in their previous birth. Rather to concentrate on present deeds and shape your future destiny if one believed karma.

well, i suppose that makes me 'eccentric' :) in what ways do you think one needs to "concentrate on present deeds and shape the future destiny" ?

I read this beautiful translation from the Upanishads which has got stuck in my mind. I think the message of all these positivity and self-help books is conveyed here.

“You are what your deepest desire is;
As you desire, so is your intention;
As your intention, so is your will;
As is your will, so is your deed;
As is your deed, so is your destiny”

So to begin with, is the deepest desire in us made out of free will, does it occur to us on its own, or do we "make" it?

All religious recognize the above but other religions give one life time for a soul who is judged for his actions on the Day of Judgment.

the day of judgement is not there in all religions. some native beliefs liken the souls to being in a perpetual cycle of rebirths with no intervening judgements, they beleive the soul on "its" own chooses or takes on a new form as a new experience..

The shastras say a soul is given many life times to enjoy or suffer the fruits of its actions. You could say there is no scientific proof for all these but “faith” and “belief” is stronger than science.

which are the shastras that say this, could you provide a few exact verses? just in case you may be inclined to discuss?..if not, its fine as well.

They will continue to exist and as you can see the onus is on science to prove if they are true or false and not the other way around.

Science is not 'different' from a man's quest to understand the unknown thru the quest of his spirit.

There are many things that scriptures cannot prove and science can.

Is tehre a detailed mention of the kind of genetics we see today in the shastras? Nope. Sure tehre is a bit of genetics in the shastras (aanduvamshikishastra), but its present to the extent that a basic beginner wud be learning today.

Was plant toxicology in ayurveda as advanced as the ability to isolate phytochemicals experimentally and study in as much detail as ppl do today? No.

Instead we eulogize the 'scriptures' and claim it has "everything" in it, like the mullahs, who say big bang is present in the quran so everyone must follow the quran since it is divine. According to them, how cud they know about big bang without 'divine revelation'. There is no diff in the way hindus make such claims as well.

Agreed all religious scriptures have something in it, but i often ask such ppl to please prove the scriptures have "everything" in them. In case of hindusim, please don't give me a tribute to hindusim, stephen knapp and such websites. Me too used to be one of the people in the past writing all the stuff that the vedas have in them.

Plain fact is there is a lot more the scriptures do not have, and certainly so in terms of advanced science we see today. It just means we, the human race, has gone along or 'evolved' in thought, ability and everything else.

Please see below:

In the beginning, Satya-yuga, there was only one social class, called "hamsa". In that age everyone was perfect (in devotional service) from birth. That age is therefore known as Krta-yuga, or the age in which all religious duties are fulfilled. (Bhag. 11.17.10)

one was born of Brahma, everyone was a brahmana. However, later on different castes were categorized according to their activities.

Thanks anand. Will respond back tomorrow. Running short of time. Also when it comes to interpretation of castes and varna, wud appreciate if the itihaasas incl gita, puranas and dharmashastras are not used. More detials tomorrow. See ya.

Anand Said
his also leads to your distinction between a “guru-seeker” and a “freethinker”. You seem to imply that they are mutually exclusive and I say they are not. A Guru-seeker’s thinking does not stop when he finds a guru. In our system, the guru is a spiritual guide while the disciple is allowed to explore and find the answers for himself. Whether you take the Acharyas or Sai Baba or any other guru, they have disciples from all walks of life. I don’t think these people are any less a free-thinker than a guru-seeker.
I say: I agree with that in toto cant be put better

Please cud you explain what is "dharmic action" and "adharmic action" ?

It is generally the good vs. bad. I do understand that this has lot of overlapping connotations but we could at least agree on some of the generally accepted ones - for ex, charity is good, helping others is good or stealing is bad, killing is bad etc.

Any specific reasons why you think the understanding of a good deed or a bad deed or begetting results of past actions now or karma is not a fatalistic view?

Why I said it could be considered fatalistic is some people may tend to put all their miseries on karma and not act to remedy a situation. But I don't subscribe to this view.

well, i suppose that makes me 'eccentric' in what ways do you think one needs to "concentrate on present deeds and shape the future destiny" ?

My answer was specifically in response to Arunshanker's question about the endless questioning that would arise about what my previous birth was or past deeds were. The past is something that cannot be undone so it is wise to concentrate on present actions.

So to begin with, is the deepest desire in us made out of free will, does it occur to us on its own, or do we "make" it?

I think man is the only living form who has a free will. Other words he has the ability to decide what is right or not. So I think it is in our hands. I think it fits the doctrine of karma well. So if one has accumulated a lot of bad karma he no doubt suffers for it in this birth but the effect can be reduced in so many ways, some of which can be chanting god's name or helping the poor or a myriad other ways. So every good act can go towards reduction of bad karma. In this way i think "we make it".

the day of judgement is not there in all religions. some native beliefs liken the souls to being in a perpetual cycle of rebirths with no intervening judgements, they beleive the soul on "its" own chooses or takes on a new form as a new experience..

I meant the two other major religions other than Hinduism which is Islam and Christianity, both not believing in reincarnation but a Day of Judgement. In connection with Hinduism, I was referring to the perpetual cycle of rebirths where the soul has to elevate itself and finally attain the Supreme.

which are the shastras that say this, could you provide a few exact verses? just in case you may be inclined to discuss?..if not, its fine as well.

By shastras, I meant the entire works of our Vedas, Upanishads and Dharmashastras and not just the last one. I think qall our scriptures talk about the cycle of births and deaths and liberation from it.

Science is not 'different' from a man's quest to understand the unknown thru the quest of his spirit.

There are many things that scriptures cannot prove and science can.

Is tehre a detailed mention of the kind of genetics we see today in the shastras? Nope. Sure tehre is a bit of genetics in the shastras (aanduvamshikishastra), but its present to the extent that a basic beginner wud be learning today.

Was plant toxicology in ayurveda as advanced as the ability to isolate phytochemicals experimentally and study in as much detail as ppl do today? No.

Instead we eulogize the 'scriptures' and claim it has "everything" in it, like the mullahs, who say big bang is present in the quran so everyone must follow the quran since it is divine. According to them, how cud they know about big bang without 'divine revelation'. There is no diff in the way hindus make such claims as well.

Agreed all religious scriptures have something in it, but i often ask such ppl to please prove the scriptures have "everything" in them. In case of hindusim, please don't give me a tribute to hindusim, stephen knapp and such websites. Me too used to be one of the people in the past writing all the stuff that the vedas have in them.

Plain fact is there is a lot more the scriptures do not have, and certainly so in terms of advanced science we see today. It just means we, the human race, has gone along or 'evolved' in thought, ability and everything else.

I agree with your first sentence.

If someone is going to debunk my “belief” and “faith” based on science, I also have every right to say the other way around. Normally the “faithful” and the “believers” don’t make fun of science. If science makes fun of “faith” and “belief”, the person is just responding to it. That is what I did. It is something like if I have the “belief” that Ram Setu was built by Ram. This is a personal belief which does not cause any harm to anyone. But if M.K. makes fun of my belief, I have the right to respond.

Well, it is not the duty of religious scriptures to do what science has to do. If that is the case it will replace science. Religion’s duty is to elevate the human being to a higher consciousness. In ancient Hinduism, there was no conflict between religion and science. Great scientists like Aryabhatta, Varahamihira, Bhaskaracharya were also greatly religious. In Hinduism, no body claims everything is in the scriptures so abolish science. We don’t have mullahs in Hinduism issuing fatwas for everything. If a few Hindu extremists are tarnishing the name, the entire community cannot be held responsible. Especially if we talk about Christian proselytizing or Islamic Jihad, one directly talks about the Church or the Islamic religious establishments (madrassas) behind it. There is no such accusation about Hindu religious establishments behind violent Hindutva though they are numerous.

The human mind is definitely meant for evolving and growing. We are not born to just sit idle and do nothing. So naturally there will be scientific discoveries as a process of growth. The balance is to tilt the discoveries in favor of stuff that can benefit humanity than the monstrosities that can destroy it. There should also be a spiritual dimension to it so the end purpose is to elevate the conscious level.

Dear HH

Thanks anand. Will respond back tomorrow. Running short of time. Also when it comes to interpretation of castes and varna, wud appreciate if the itihaasas incl gita, puranas and dharmashastras are not used. More detials tomorrow. See ya.

I can see your point about puranas and dharmashastras but the Gita is straight from Krishna considered to be an avatar of the Supreme. As it is from Krishna Paramatma is almost considered to be like Shruti. Personally I find it fascinating as the quotes from the Vedas or Upanishads and that is why I quote.

Dear All
Please do note that I am not trying here to debunk faith or doing anything remotely close to that
I am just questioning everything so that I get an answer that can satisfy me and my kind of thinking

Dear All
Please do note that I am not trying here to debunk faith or doing anything remotely close to that
I am just questioning everything so that I get an answer that can satisfy me and my kind of thinking

arun,

you are a delight to this forum. don't even come close to thinking along those lines re debunking. :)

I can see your point about puranas and dharmashastras but the Gita is straight from Krishna considered to be an avatar of the Supreme. As it is from Krishna Paramatma is almost considered to be like Shruti. Personally I find it fascinating as the quotes from the Vedas or Upanishads and that is why I quote.

Thanks Anand, will get back shortly. Reg Gita, there are ppl who say parts were inserted at a later date, since it contradicts other (older or original) parts. Like Manusmrithi. Also there are ppl who say Gita was composed at one period of time, in whatever time it was composed, our regard for the author does not lessen...taking these things into account, i'd prefer you use the vedas and the upanishads. Thanks.

Please see below:

hi anand,
in Bhagavad gita....srikrishna said ...chathur varnyam maya
sristammm....and in vedas also mentioned about castes/varna
system ...like in purusha suktam...BRAHMANOSYA MUKHAMASEET..
BAAHU RAJANYA KRITAHA...URRU TADH VAISYAHA...PADBHYAM
SUDRO AJAAYATA.... if we beleive in vedas/scriptures...
this is pramana for varna...

regards

hi anand,

regards

Shri TBS ji,

Since you quote Purushasuktham as pramana for varna, am putting forth something, wud like to hear your views on them:

Brahmanah asya mukhaasit:
Popular meaning: Brahmins are the face or head (of the purusha).
Uttaramimansa meaning: The consciousness that leads to cosmic consiousessness, is in the region of the brain. Head represents brahmana, because it represents one who has attained awareness of that region thru yog or has attained his consciousness..in other words it means brahma janati iti brahmana, one whose mind is merged with brahman in meditation is a brahmin.

Vaahuh rajanyah kritah:
Purvamimansa meaning: Hands represent rajanya (kshatriya).
Uttaramimansa interpretation: One who works with his hands is rajanya. Because the terms vaahuh-kritah are not mentioning that hands "became" rajanya of the metaphysical purusha, literal meaning cud be also be one who "does" his hands is rajanya (or 'works' his hands is rajanya) based on kritah = done, made, performed.

Urutahah asya yat vaishya:
Popular interpretation: The thighs became vaishyas.
Monastic interpretation: thigh represents lap, like lap of Lakshmi, where money is saved. Asya = is of, of this. Therefore thighs is of vaishya, one who saves of money is of vaishya. Wud apply to any one who works to earn and save money, or one who works in an office, etc.

Padvyam shudrah ajayata (most popular sentence of all i guess :) ):
Shudra was born from the feet (of the purusha). Padavyam = of the feet, from the feet, or one who is 'of the feet' is a shudrah, or one who supports is a shudrah, or any subordinate who supports is a shudrah, can be applied to anyone working as a subordinate under a boss to support the functions of an office, or to a minister supporting a king.

In the later times,
a) brahmin became applied to the priestly class even though they did not engage their mind in meditation but were ritualists,
b) rajanya became applied to a kshatriya though it referred to a tiller of land before villages developed into a civilized form of an administered unit. The basis of vaahuh rajanya kritah appears to come from the fact that in the rigved times, one who tilled the land was treated as a crop giver, a saviour.
c) vaishya became applied to one who walks to save, since feet are extension of the thighs that help walk, that is it became applied to primitive sellers in a village,
d) and shudrahs that was meant to be be "anyone who serves" became applied to people who were kept as the labor classes by the dharmashastras.

In reality, the purushasuktam was not to show 4 diff castes as varnas, but to show functionary systems of the human body. In other words, each person has all '4 castes' or '4 varnas' in him. To the monastic traditions, all that the purushasuktam explains to man is his own self as the mythical purusha, and methods of union with the brahman.

The feet being the most sensitive part of the body with several acupressure points, were first managed and handled thru yog, to help man conquer his sense of desire to serve, to earn appreciation, money, etc. Then the overcame his thighs, or desire to save money and reproduce. Then he overcame his hands, or movement of fingers and neck at the vishuddha chakra. Finally, the union of mind with the superconsiouness brahman happened.

Shri TBS-ji, what are your views on the differences in the explanations b/w the purvamimansaka dharmashastra followers and those of monasticism schools.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Shri TBS ji,

Since you quote Purushasuktham as pramana for varna, am putting forth something, wud like to hear your views on them:

Brahmanah asya mukhaasit:
Popular meaning: Brahmins are the face or head (of the purusha).
Uttaramimansa meaning: The consciousness that leads to cosmic consiousessness, is in the region of the brain. Head represents brahmana, because it represents one who has attained awareness of that region thru yog or has attained his consciousness..in other words it means brahma janati iti brahmana, one whose mind is merged with brahman in meditation is a brahmin.

Vaahuh rajanyah kritah:
Purvamimansa meaning: Hands represent rajanya (kshatriya).
Uttaramimansa interpretation: One who works with his hands is rajanya. Because the terms vaahuh-kritah are not mentioning that hands "became" rajanya of the metaphysical purusha, literal meaning cud be also be one who "does" his hands is rajanya (or works his hands is rajanya) based on kritah = done, made, performed.

Urutahah asya yat vaishya:
Popular interpretation: The thighs became vaishyas.
Monastic interpretation: thigh represents lap, like lap of Lakshmi, where money is saved. Asya = is of, of this. Therefore thighs is of vaishya, one who saves of money is vaishya. one who works to earn money, works in an office, etc.

Padvyam shudrah ajayata (most popular sentence of all i guess :) ):
Shudra was born from the feet (of the purusha). Padavyam = of the feet, from the feet, or one who is of the feet is a shudrah, or one who supports is a shudrah, or any subordinate who supports is a shudrah, can be applied to anyone working as a subordinate under a boss to support the functions of an office.

In the later times,
a) brahmin became applied to the priestly class even though they did not engage their mind in meditation but performed ritualistic prayers,
b) rajanya became applied to a kshtriya though it was meant for a tiller of a land before villages developed into a civilized form of an administered unit. The basis of vaahuh rajanya kritah appears to come from the fact that in the rigved times, one who tilled the land was treated as a crop giver, a saviour.
c) vaishya became applied to one who walks to save, that is it became applied to primitive sellers in a village,
d) and shudrahs that was meant to be be "anyone who serves" became applied to people who were kept as the labor classes by the dharmashastras.

In reality, the purushasuktam was not to show 4 diff castes as varnas, but to show functionary systems of the human body. In other words, each person has all '4 castes' or '4 varnas' in him. To the monastic traditions, all that the purushasuktam explains to man is his own self as the mythical purusha, and methods of union with the brahman.

The feet being the most sensitive part of the body with several acupressure points, were first managed and handled thru yog, to help man conquer his sense of desire to serve, to earn appreciation, money, etc. Then the overcame his thighs, or desire to save money and reproduce. Then he overcame his hands, or movement of fingers and neck at the vishuddha chakra. Finally, the union of mind with the superconsiouness brahman happened.

Shri TBS-ji, what are your views on the differences in the explanations b/w the purvamimansaka dharmashastra followers and those of monasticism schools.

Thanks.
hi HH ji,
I dont want deviate the original thread called ' widows and
hindu /brahmin tradition'...i feel that i already deviated..
sorry for that...i can explain about purvamiamsaka dharmasaastra/
and uttara mimansaka siddhantas...but im not scholar in
purvamimamsa dharmasastra...i have limited knowledge..

regards

hi HH ji,

regards

i think almost all posts in this thread do not pertain to the topic of the thread.

perhaps we can continue the discussion here and then ask Praveen to move them to a new thread.

so you may please continue with the explanations.

thanks.

i think almost all posts in this thread do not pertain to the topic of the thread.

perhaps we can continue the discussion here and then ask Praveen to move them to a new thread.

so you may please continue with the explanations.

thanks.

Dear HH,

As far as I know, they can only move the 'entire thread' to a different/relevant 'Chapter', but not interchange the 'POSTs" in between threads... Though its technically possible, its a painful job to shift few posts to another 'thread', for relevancy.

Even if its moved, it will severely alter, the continuity/flow of discussion..

In this context, we all should confine our discussions to the 'Title of the thread' and its indeed a standard forum etiquette.. Thats why I suggested Mr.Praveen, to keep the 'header message', visible,as a reminder, in all pages we browse.. He said, he is working on it!!

So, lets stay tuned!!

Last edited:
Dear HH,

As far as I know, they can only move the 'entire thread' to a different/relevant 'Chapter', but not interchange the 'POSTs" in between threads... Though its technically possible, its a painful job to shift few posts to another 'thread', for relevancy.

In this context, we all should confine our discussions to the 'Title of the thread' and its indeed a standard forum etiquette.. Thats why I suggested Mr.Praveen, to keep the 'header message', visible,as a reminder, in all pages we browse.. He said, he is working on it!!

So, lets stay tuned!!

Ah well, tehre are very many threads in this forum that do not relate to the topic of the thread. Ok shall take this to a new page.

Hi Arunshanker

Dear All

Sorry man, my reply may have had a veiled reference about you debunking faith though that is not my intention at all. I was just replying to HH. As Shri. Kunjuppu said your insights are quite valuable and please continue with your line of questioning/reasoning because it is great food for thought.

While Prusha Suktham gives out the Varna divisions without apportioning either merir or birthright, the Gita atanza is extensively cited for both Varna by birth and against.

A few luminaries (natably Kanchi Maha Perival) have cited this verse to support the argument that Varna is by birth. Other luminaries (I must say these are in the majority now), interpret the same verse to mean that Varna is not by birth but by conduct.

Regards,
KRS

hi anand,

regards

Dear Sri tbs Ji,

Having the 'moderator' hat on, let me observe the following, because you made the same statement in a different thread.

This forum encourages free, cordial discussions. I see a tendency on your part to make a few statements but then pick and choose what discussions to continue on your part and to whom you would choose to continue the discussions with. Deviating from the original thread topic or your own lack of expertise are cited.

Sir, you have every right to curtail a discussion. But saying 'I would like to remain silent' and such do not encourage straight forward discussions.

If you want to post a statement and do not want to elicit response from anyone, please say it so in your posting. This way, you do not need to pick and choose who do you want to have a discussion with, discriminating against some members.

Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

hi HH ji,

regards

Dear all,

Most of the threads tend to veer of the intended topic. The originator of any thread has the option to cutail any discussion heading in a different direction or allow it. Also a participant may want to create his/her own topic and continue there.

With the context and content of a couple of threads here with reference to this, I do not see any need to move the discussions elsewhere.

Regards,
KRS

Dear HH,

So, lets stay tuned!!

A few luminaries (natably Kanchi Maha Perival) have cited this verse to support the argument that Varna is by birth. Other luminaries (I must say these are in the majority now), interpret the same verse to mean that Varna is not by birth but by conduct.
Regards,
KRS

KRS,

i am by now means even a speck claiming to be a luminary, but happen to be very uncomfortable with the whole concept of varna, in the modern age.

how can we reconcile our scriptures with our current environment? can we selectively chose what is appropriate and correct to the present?

i am sure that various facets of the scriptures had their ups and downs, and at various periods, such portions were focussed by the community, as being appropriate for those times.

i think, to be blindly clinging to each and every word, written ages ago, might harm our survival as hindus in the long term. not that many would reject hinduism, but just as what is happening to the catholic church in the west, people may become apathetic or indifferent and ultimately lapse.

i think, if one cannot find relevance, atleast one should not find extreme discordance with current social mores, which cannot be explained away with two face arguements - it was divined by the ancients whose (imperfect) descendents we claim to be, yet have a privileged birth in this supposedly egalitarian age.

in this context, happy answered a query of mine re brahmana hatya and the identification of current day brahmins with the brahmana's of ancient times.

does this imply that my blood is worth more than that of non brahmin neighbour in the eye of God? should we all not emphasise that all humans are equal before God, rather than emphasising our differences and proving to be the old pujari holding up god's varams?

to sum up, why will one want to be a member of a club, where most are destined to secondary status?

just some thoughts that's all .. thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Sir

While Prusha Suktham gives out the Varna divisions without apportioning either merir or birthright, the Gita atanza is extensively cited for both Varna by birth and against.

Regards,
KRS

I have read quite a lot on Maha Perivaal's speeches on various issues and one of it is this varna by birth. He actually says that both are the same and explains how. Instead of me a novice trying to explain this, I will give ditto the exact translations of Periavaal's masterly analysis on this subject. Unfortunately the file size is big to be attached here so I need to convert the pdf into word and reproduce the text here which I can do only after 2 days. I do carry a bias towards Periavaal so others may not find it masterly but nevertheless a must read for anyone. Will do this shortly.

Sri anadb Ji,

Yes, I have read the same. He supports Varna by birth citing the verse from Gita. He also says that since one has to start training the children from a young age in scriptures, deciding on aptitude among all is not practical, even if one accepts Varna is not by birth.

I am not crticizing any luminary. I was just trying to point out in response to Sri TBS's posting that this is not a setlled issue in our religion as he made it seem to be, but there are definite divergence of opinion.

Regards,
KRS

I have read quite a lot on Maha Perivaal's speeches on various issues and one of it is this varna by birth. He actually says that both are the same and explains how. Instead of me a novice trying to explain this, I will give ditto the exact translations of Periavaal's masterly analysis on this subject. Unfortunately the file size is big to be attached here so I need to convert the pdf into word and reproduce the text here which I can do only after 2 days. I do carry a bias towards Periavaal so others may not find it masterly but nevertheless a must read for anyone. Will do this shortly.

Dear Sri kunjuppu Ji,

One of the major obstacles facing our religion to deal with modern times is the in built non egalitarianism. Unfortunately, years of practicing a system, whose intent was idealistic to start, has degenerated in to vulgarity, with the modern politicians successfully using the issue to make India a third rate nation, not reflecting the inherent strength of a huge nation. Everything, without second thought is assigned a quota.

All this, while the original intent of Varna system forgotten. One forgets that only about 30% of people represented the 'top' three varnas and they were set up to SUSTAIN and SUPPORT the lives of the rest 70% of people of the fourth Varna. I am constantly surprised that even today there are people who do not understand this basic fact.

India without egalitarianism with the associated meritocracy, will at best remain a third rate nation.

But having said this, there are still some 100 percenters who still practice their Varnas and they got to be supported. These folks live outside of modern life and they escaped the curruption of the system. But I would reckon that they are now a miniscule of our population.

For others, the 30 percenters or less, it won't be too long before those remaining percentages shrink further and I would hope then the equality of all in the eyes of the Lord will take root. If not, we will remain the most prejudiced, racist people on earth (amongst some others), based on jathi, race, skin colour, concept of beauty etc. criteria.

Regards,
KRS

KRS,

i am by now means even a speck claiming to be a luminary, but happen to be very uncomfortable with the whole concept of varna, in the modern age.

how can we reconcile our scriptures with our current environment? can we selectively chose what is appropriate and correct to the present?

i am sure that various facets of the scriptures had their ups and downs, and at various periods, such portions were focussed by the community, as being appropriate for those times.

i think, to be blindly clinging to each and every word, written ages ago, might harm our survival as hindus in the long term. not that many would reject hinduism, but just as what is happening to the catholic church in the west, people may become apathetic or indifferent and ultimately lapse.

in this context, happy answered a query of mine re brahmana hatya and the identification of current day brahmins with the brahmana's of ancient times.

does this imply that my blood is worth more than that of non brahmin neighbour in the eye of God? should we all not emphasise that all humans are equal before God, rather than emphasising our differences and proving to be the old pujari holding up god's varams?

just some thoughts that's all .. thank you.

I have read quite a lot on Maha Perivaal's speeches on various issues and one of it is this varna by birth. He actually says that both are the same and explains how.

Yes, I have read the same. He supports Varna by birth citing the verse from Gita. He also says that since one has to start training the children from a young age in scriptures, deciding on aptitude among all is not practical, even if one accepts Varna is not by birth.

I am not crticizing any luminary. I was just trying to point out in response to Sri TBS's posting that this is not a setlled issue in our religion as he made it seem to be, but there are definite divergence of opinion.

[some views. please exercise your discretion about the contents]

Looks like the issue of varna by birth, applicability of old scriptures in the present, etc cannot be settled if people are gonna mix diff streams of thot into one system, and then hope to settle the issues by applying each of its beliefs to all of the system.

Its like a man can be trained to be both a doctor and an engineer at the same time, but is expected to work as a lawyer and a mettalurgist by applying the principles of medicine and engineering to the fields of law and mettalurgy. It may be done, yes, but tends to make things complicated.

The brahmanas of yore came in all forms of thot. Some were non-ritualist, the kind that offered homa in the mind to burn off vasanas to seek union with the cosmic consiocusness, while some were ritualist who did not beleive in a god outside of themselves and harnessed energies for certain results and so on....

The aryasamaj beleives the varna of a student was assigned after 14 years of study for the children.

Many monastic traditions seem to agree that a child, to begin with was given his father's varna, and was tutored initially according to that. But since the basic subjects of study were common, if a child showed aptitude in any one of them, later his varna was changed, and he was made to specialize accordingly.

To a state, it wud have been useless, if a man with great administrative abilities, or a man with great reflexes as an ace sword fighter, wud have to follow the role of a trader or a priest; if the varna were to be fixed by birth.

imho, the confusion part of varna-by-birth or not-by-birth seems to come in the post-buddhist period.

Popular hindu renaissance in the post-buddist period supposedly saw the establishment of many temples, writing of puranas, writing of dharmashastras (gautama was the earliest i think), establishing of the current gotra system, creation of varna by birth system as fixed by the dharmashastra writers (i still think it was the kings who wanted it that way, because until this time, it appears that many kingdoms had no heredity system and kings were elected from a class of nobles; and in a new system or in fragmented kingdoms, it was easy to establish what each wanted, as heredity ownership), and so on.

Also people wanted quick fixes for probs (like 'do this ritual, you get this result" type of belief), instead of the almost zero ritualism of the buddists, that ppl were probably tired of by this time. It was a lot about the mood of the masses, i guess.

It appears that most dharmashastra writers were from the purvamimansaka ritualist school, who unlike the monks, beleived in no brahmaloka of no-return, but did take on the idea of brahman as something attainable thru purva rituals. So to them, they are brahmins.

In effect, the current argument of monastic schools that claim rituals result in no brahman, and the claim of purvamimansakas that rituals do result in brahman, appears to be a long standing disagreement, more than 2k years old.

To each, the definition of a brahmin varied. However its possible that since the law makers were purva followers, their ideology prevailed, and the monastic schools continued to exist, but on the sidelines as non-popular ones.

Then came Shri Adi Shankara, after all this jhanjhat was fixed, when things were being followed the orderly by-birth way. One advantage was that no one had to suffer unemployment even if he was no good at his job.

Shri Shankara reformed the practices of the purvamimansaka ritualists, who incorporated more of the teachings of brahman of the uttaramimansaka schools into the purva ones, along with bhakti, surrender, etc.

However, what Shri Shankara did establish was monastries of the vedantin uttaramimansaka schools, not establishments of the purvamimansaka ritual followers.

So far it appears that in the past, a sadhu was a renunciate, a purvamimansaka was a ritualist, a brahman was one who attained brahman, a vipra was a theologician vedantin, and so on, but the effects of the reform period, and mingling up of people and ideas in the muslim period, jumbled up the practices of what came to be called present day brahmins.

As regards the vedic brahmins, no one can say for sure who they were. The upanishads were supposedly not written by dharmashastra followers or purvamimansa ritualists, the agamas were supposedly witten by purvamimansa ritualists, several shakhas were lost, and each time a system came to exist based on what was available at that time, 'brahmins' in the buddhist system (who probably were purva ritualists turned buddhist turned dharmashastra followers) became incorporated as brahmins into the hindu system.

Now comes the confusion part of who is a brahmin, is varna by birth or not, and are selective scriptures applicable now. Obviously the system has undergone very many chages. Populations mixed and merged. Old was carried into the new, with some modifications. Changes in the system were either accounted for or unaccounted for, based on whether they happened due to circumstances (as they did during the mughal period), or based on changes made voluntarily by ppl (as they did in the post-buddhist period). But obviously practices were influenced and underwent changes..

And if one were to find an answer to the varna by birth question, then i think that won't be resolved as long as a class tries to represent all definitions of a 'brahmin', of various schools with each of its practices, as it was in different periods of time.

If one were to settle these issues, they probably may need to seperete each school for what it represented, at each period of time. That probably wud either not be possible or wud be troublesome. But it does create confusion, since the practices came to be merged. Bhiksha to a purva follower remains a symbolic practice during upanayanam, probably borrowed from the old monastic traditions and not followed in practice.

However, if instructions given about 'following dharma', were to be a mix of both schools, it does create confusion for a present day stance, like now (in the present time) should a 'brahmin' be a bhikshuk following the monastic traditions, or should he be a paid ritualist like the purva ritual followers?

Quite a dilemma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back