• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Your inputs please:

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Some classical songs are made 'filmi' by pop singers and hits the charts But I have no ears for these in non classical version !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRY3b5zdJk

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=1BDC0AB262524CED51161BDC0AB262524CED5116

Another song - Chintayamam - Bairavi - Panch Booth kriti of Dikshitar. I enjoy this kriti by Vedavalli which is really classic and not the one by Bombay Jaishree which looks "filmi" I would like to have the link Vedavalli singing this since I have lost it!

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I think it depends on one's mood for the day which voice we prefer.

Most males prefer Bhakti songs rendered by females becos it gives them the motherly comfort.

I as a female prefer Bhakti songs sung by males becos I prefer the concept of a Male God cos I like God to be Hot and Handsome.

So a good male voice can take me to fantasy land!

But female voices..? Nope..I dont like the mother concept for God.Maternal feeling is like an Aunty feeling.
So female Bhakti songs do not appeal to me.

My all time favorite is Shiva Tandav Strotram supposedly composed by Ravana.

When sung by SP Bala(I think) it is rendered so powerful that one starts to imagine a handsome Ravan singing it and get carried away by that thought.

[video]https://youtu.be/5SIAD8yaKwQ[/video]

....... When sung by SP Bala(I think) it is rendered so powerful that one starts to imagine a handsome Ravan singing it and get carried away by that thought.

Dear Renu,

The singer is Ghantasala. :)

The topic of the OP has already meandered.

While I wait for inputs on why women music directors are rare, I enjoy participating in the male voice Vs female voice argument.

1. "filmi" is not a four lettered dirty word. When a song is filmi, it gets nearer to the large audience. When it remains a kutcheri stuff it is away. It is enjoyed only by those few who have a ear for the dukhrinjkarane of the ragas.

I for one would like less of dukhrinjkarane and more of bhava in music even if this involves taking liberties with ragas. But there is a crowd in the music circles which will ban me out of the country if I propagate this idea.

2. To me classical singing style is heavy and I enjoy it because I understand the nuances. But I am sad that this goes over the head of many less fortunate ones. The so called "filmi" music is down to earth and makes me as well as the rikshawallah on the street tap our foot. I like it more.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I think it depends on one's mood for the day which voice we prefer.

Most males prefer Bhakti songs rendered by females becos it gives them the motherly comfort.

I as a female prefer Bhakti songs sung by males becos I prefer the concept of a Male God cos I like God to be Hot and Handsome.

So a good male voice can take me to fantasy land!

But female voices..? Nope..I dont like the mother concept for God.Maternal feeling is like an Aunty feeling.
So female Bhakti songs do not appeal to me.

My all time favorite is Shiva Tandav Strotram supposedly composed by Ravana.

When sung by SP Bala(I think) it is rendered so powerful that one starts to imagine a handsome Ravan singing it and get carried away by that thought.

Dear Renukaji,

Yes the mood matters. But as I said in an earlier post the equipment matters too. LOL.

I enjoy a baritone deeply melancholic male voice as much as the sweet and soft whisper of a female voice. That does not make me less of a male. I enjoy Balamurali krishna's singing and KJY's singing as much as I enjoy the singing of S.Janaki, Lata and Sudha Reghunathan.

I do not fantasize much while listening to music.

When your blue may be my red and my green may be your pink, there are limitations in explaining our experiences while speaking about music. I understand that and am really sad about it. But that is the given situation and we are created like that. In our search for common denominators let us not waste time and miss the fun. LOL.

Hope you perceive.

Last edited:
In the 1960s, S Janaki was used to call as 'ARAII KURAL JANAKI.' After the advent of Ilaiyaraja, she became very popular. He gave her lot of chances.

I enjoy lot of female singers be it Vani Jayaram for her mellifluous voice or that of Sudha for her majestic and dynamic vocal tapestries...Like Bombay Jayashri too for her mesmerizing and soulful rendition

Filmi songs are NOT easy to render even if in dappAngkooththu category; it needs sruthi suddham too! :)

You can listen to many apaswarams in the Airtel super singer contest, which is telecast on Vijay TV.

Taking care of the home is mostly done by females and so unless unmarried and carefree, females can not become music directors.

Also, the musical imagination in male heads might be more elaborate then in female heads! ;)
Even in Carnatic music, the 'asurA' kind of swaram singing is done mostly by the males! :clap2:

Even in Carnatic music, the 'asurA' kind of swaram singing is done mostly by the males!

And the assembled devas run away helter skelter and end up in the canteen. LOL.

Filmi songs are NOT easy to render even if in dappAngkooththu category; it needs sruthi suddham too! :)

Overall South Indian filmi songs are not easy to sing..one needs a proper music training background to render South Indian songs effortlessly ...but somehow even an untrained voice can sing Hindi songs.

I have heard many Non Indians without any vocal training sing Hindi songs very well.

But ask them to try a Tamil song and they totally cant manage.

Taking care of the home is mostly done by females and so unless unmarried and carefree, females can not become music directors.

Also, the musical imagination in male heads might be more elaborate then in female heads! ;)
Even in Carnatic music, the 'asurA' kind of swaram singing is done mostly by the males! :clap2:

T V Sankaranarayanan, now 70 and a close relative of late Madurai Mani Iyer, still maintains his high pitch voice and speed. For the last couple of years, he had been adjudged as the best performer in Music Academy concerts, during Sangeetha Season.

T V Sankaranarayanan, now 70 and a close relative of late Madurai Mani Iyer, still maintains his high pitch voice and speed. For the last couple of years, he had been adjudged as the best performer in Music Academy concerts, during Sangeetha Season.
He is the most sincere artist, imho! :clap2:

He sang a concert for a wedding reception that I attended recently and the Q of invitees to present gifts (some recycled??)

to the newly weds was right in front of him, eclipsing the view of the stage for the sitting invitees! But, the standard of the

concert never diminished and I wondered how he was able to manage, in spite of the disturbances! :thumb:

He sang a concert for a wedding reception that I attended recently and the Q of invitees to present gifts (some recycled??)

to the newly weds was right in front of him, eclipsing the view of the stage for the sitting invitees! But, the standard of the

concert never diminished and I wondered how he was able to manage, in spite of the disturbances! :thumb:

I still remember his performance in one of my colleague's wedding reception in 1986.

Thiruvalangadu Vembu Iyer Sankaranarayana, popularly known as T V Sankaranarayanan, is a versatile personality.

He is a lawyer by profession, a good cricketer and singer. His school mate was former in and out India Offspinner S Venkataraghavan.

His uncle Late Madurai Mani Iyer suggested him to take up singing, which he obliged.

He is a recipient of Padma Bhushan and Sangidha Kalanidhi.

It depends on the type of music, I am a great fan of MS she has such soothing voice but its all devotional. The female kind is closer to god and hence any activity performed by them which is of a devotional nature it get amplified but if its of materialistic nature its gets diminished.

Sincere, knowledgeable and very orthodox. But poor voice culture. My view.

What is the need?

Do women have to do every type of job in the world?....

at one point of time in my life, i had to cook my food myself staying alone far away from home and living in a rented house.

i had to wash my cloths, clean utensils, clean the house periodically all by myself and do many many more things.

I realized I cannot do all these and hence outsourced it.

I thought to myself, only a superhuman being can do all these by himself/herself.

I later remembered, my Mother did all this and many more things, serving my Father, serving us, serving her in-laws. She never grumbled or murmured. She never reached SSLC in school and had dropped out since her Father, my grandfather passed away while she was so young. I remembered the song, 'amma endrazhaikkadha uyir illaye....neril vandhu pesum dheivam...''

What is the need?

Do women have to do every type of job in the world?

Do you want to see Saraswathi, Lakshmi, Parvathi, Abhirami, Sivagami, Gomathi, Kanthimathi and all Goddesses in one? Please see your mother.

If you are a mother, please look at your own self in a mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back