• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Triplicane RATHNA CAFE SAMBAR IDLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the years pass, sweet memories come up & we in that age group desire to recollect those sweet days. Persons in the current age group of 50 plus will not know. Like-wise the Cooks employed in those Hotels may not live to-day. their and Next generations never gave that much care because office goers of later years had variously named hotels all over Madras & the craze obviously faded.

Secondly, the latest trend is to capture the eyes of present men & women towards hotels which try to COPY --like Idli Kadai, Dosa /10 varieties/with a number of side chutnies about 5/ 6 ? Can you? who have talked about the decades old Tasty hotels compromise the Sambar/ Chatni taste without getting the so-called Idlis immersed in Sambar to some how eat & come out. Then ? people like me ( I like Rava Muruhal , in a hotel ) come HOME soon & have Thayir Saadam with home made OORUHAI , to ensure no stomach upset .

(Rishikesan
hi sir,

my maternal grand uncle had BRAHMANAAL HOTEL for more than 80 yrs in MADRAS...my maternal grand father had brahmin

hotel in madurai.....my 2 uncles still working BRAHMANAAL HOTEL......so i know very famous old hotels were run by brahmins...

even cooks were brahmins....later yrs many relatives had VRR in southern railways for many yrs....many had canteens like

engg college etc....now a days kids are not interested...they moved away with IT degress....this is called KAALATHIN KATTAYAM...

West mamabalam ratna cafe also closed last month as the poor patronage. In fact the taste of sambar at Ratna cafe is so good and it can be realised only those tasted the same atleast once. Madurai Malli, Kanchipuram Idli, thirunelveli halva like this ratna cafe idli sambar

West mamabalam ratna cafe also closed last month as the poor patronage. In fact the taste of sambar at Ratna cafe is so good and it can be realised only those tasted the same atleast once. Madurai Malli, Kanchipuram Idli, thirunelveli halva like this ratna cafe idli sambar

Why there was poor patronage for such a famous Idly Sambar of Rathna cafe from a place predominantly covered by brahmins. It is for the owners to find out the reason instead of closing the hotel.

Ratna cafe

Why there was poor patronage for such a famous Idly Sambar of Rathna cafe from a place predominantly covered by brahmins. It is for the owners to find out the reason instead of closing the hotel.

DEAR sIR, I live in West mambalam, when Ratna Cafe started here, I was sure that in that location it will not work, for the simple reason, is was located on Brindavan Street , having regular heavy traffic non-stop on either side, , car/ scooter/ cycle can not think of reaching the shop & NO surprize it got closed. I feel next to follow is Grand Sweets located in the same line, similar problems, besides the cost of Sweets/ savories are unreal, not very tasty , compared to Adyar Anand Bhavan , wherein the stuff is really tasty & rates are not high as Krishna Sweets which is situated in West mambalam at the crossing of Brindavan st, & Arya Gowda Road. Even this does not seem to have many buyers, because cost other not-so-good items except the famous Mysore Pak. are not less compared to Adyar Anand Bhavan
I and many others wish Anand Bhavan open in a vantage location may be at the west mambalam / Ashok nagar abetting areas.

Rishikesan

Another reason for the poor patronage for Ratna Cafe is the presence of another established hotel very closeby - Datta Udipi Hotel - which has firmly established itself around that area. As this Udipi hotel is at the intersection of Brindavan Street and Thambiah Road, it has easy accessibility, whereas for Ratna Cafe, one has to walk further down the Brindavan Road stretch towards the subway. Location also matters a lot.

rathna caple thunnukeeran. aanaa, paicrapt road katseela, beechkku kitta oru pombala kai endhi bhavan kanakka idli kutkkum. ippo keetho illayo. adhu aai pochi, iravadhu varshaththukku andhaanda. thundraththukku roma nalla irundhuchi. appo roopaykku anju idli kudukkum.

DAtta Udupi Hotel is also serves Tasty Idly/Sambar equally good like Triplicane Ratna Cafe.

Tiny bit off-topic but please allay my curiousity since orthodoxy is so strong in south. Is bread not taboo? For orthodox Bengali brahmans, all "khambira-yukta" food, i.e. yeast-leavened food is taboo. All "sukta", a term applied to things that were sweet and have turned sour due to fermentation, is forbidden, except cow's milk yoghurt! Buffalo milk yoghurt is "sukta", and non.veg., cannot be used for rituals, and nor can that milk or its products! Goat milk ghee, aajya ghrta, is ok for ayurvedic formulations, not for food in general cases.

Idli fermentation is bacterial fermentation, Leuconostoc spp. in the first 8-10 hours, and less of wild yeasts, unless one keeps dosai batter for utthapams.

In Bengal, all bread was either baked by Portuguese, then Eurasian and later, Muslim bakers, all of whom were experts with yeasted dough. Hence, this type of raised bread, rusk or any yeasted product was a strict NO-NO, even in my childhood. When VERY sick, almost near death, a Bengali was given, pomegranate juice! That meant Yamaraja in the room! Yamaraja on the threshhold necessitated grapes, which in those days were very sweet and came from the northwest! Yamaraja in the knocking at the door meant apples! Mealy, overripe in the moist heat, apples signified you were truly ill! Also, barley water, an interesting concoction sworn to keep miserable Bengalis safe from the minions of Lord Yama. As soon as they were slightly better, they were dosed with a horrid herb, Centella, pennywort, cooked with a slim catfish, of 2 species, depending on how sick you were. No spices of course, and orthodox Bengalis eat fish, but no onions, garlic etc.! So imagine a terrible herb cooked with a slimy monstrous bearded barbed fish + evil head, eyes, and its black skin purely for health purposes, boiled with nothing to ward off smells, and being made to eat the concoction after being very ill for weeks. Sometimes death is more welcome, after the semi-rotten apples fed with great care, and you know how unaffordable those were, and now this!

If you are referring to West MBM branch of Datta Udipi, I think the quality has gone down over the past year. Perhaps, complacency has set it. I don't know about its branches elsewhere.

While analysing the reasons for taste deterioration, it is not difficult to pin-point 1) No brahmin cooks anywhere/ in any hotel.

2)People throng to almost all types of hotels, , each claim to serve mainly Dosas/ Idiyappams/ Chettinadu items / North Indian varieties & whatever you think of are available in each & every Restaurent. The hoteliers import persons / may not be really cooks, but learn at the cost of customers/ I mean, we all take it that all hotels serve genuine , original tasty items ? ALAS not So ?

How can YOU ever think of real soft home made Idlis, or Dosas when the ingredients are noy genuine, nor the quality. By and large, young women take their better- halves to any hotel at week-ends because they want rest & not accustomed to cook earlier days of food items .What you sow/ you reap.
No regrets/ People are getting used to almost same type of Menu Card contents & the available taste & get on with life.

Rishikesan

We lived in Jambulingam street in Nungambakkam in the 60's...There used to be a very famous Udipi hotel close by on opposite side of Valluvar Kottam road..The dosa was so tasty especially the chutney..This hotel is now closed...Another place where we used to have tasty Roti with Kurma was the Shanta Bhavan now Balajee Bhavan in Pondy Bazaar...The Woodlands drive in Cathedral Road was famous for its tiffin items..Now it is closed and place has been taken over by MuKa for a Poonga!

Dear all,

I feel like concluding like this. Those days are past , for ever. Let us feel proud that we happened to live in that period & enjoyed good food, both in our homes as well as in those much-sought after hotels.
Any number of reasons you may go on telling , bur thoughts of past will remain within us. The new generation cannot , obviously even imagine that such situation was there? It is inevitable change. we have to even cosider as to whether our grand children like Idlis/ Dosas in preference to Pizzas/ Noodles & what not ?

Rishikesan

Dear all,

I feel like concluding like this. Those days are past , for ever. Let us feel proud that we happened to live in that period & enjoyed good food, both in our homes as well as in those much-sought after hotels.
Any number of reasons you may go on telling , bur thoughts of past will remain within us. The new generation cannot , obviously even imagine that such situation was there? It is inevitable change. we have to even cosider as to whether our grand children like Idlis/ Dosas in preference to Pizzas/ Noodles & what not ?

Rishikesan

Dear Sir,

The topic of food is dear to us..So this thread may not go to wilderness soon!

Any of our members have an idea why one of the 'Trimurthis' of Tamil cinema was fondly nicknamed 'sAmbAr'?

I have :noidea:

andha kaalaththula gemini ganesana "saambar" ganesannu sollikkuvaanga. dhaasthi saambar kudipparo innavo. ( padhil eithi keeran. eppo vidunvaangalo!)

Rishikesan Sir, In Post 33, you have identified why taste deterioration takes place. While point 2 can be a general phenomena, point 1 is the correct reason for the taste deficiency. The labour and the LOVE the Brahmin cooks put in while preparing the items can not be replicated by the present-day so-called Chefs. There used to be a decent hotel near the T.Nagar Social Club where I have seen Gemini Ganesan and others used to spend the weekends playing cards and eating out at that joint. It was famous for its Keerai Vadai. The very thought of it makes my mouth watery. I think they now call it Woodlands and the menu and taste is just run-of-the mill.

Thayir Sadam for Brahmin boys in my school days.

As I used to move with Rogue boys, cut classes, play Gilly, Goli , and go to Matnee movies, boys were calling me 'Matchan' !!

I also used to call them Matchan... there is thrill in it !!

indha munsAmy aNNane minneyE engO kaNdukkina mARi keedhE!! :spy:

solradh kareet thaan. puchaa aaru vandhukinu keeranga? pona vaatti vandhavaru peru maathi uttukinu indha vaatti varradhuthaan. eppidiyum metteru vera vedadhula oothi moodikichu. sodhappittangale enna? munsaamy moota kattikinu uda vendithuthaan. enna solradhu? ( eithi keeran. udumpodhu patchiko!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back