• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Time to perform Srardham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shri Sangom Sir :

Thank you for your views.

No doubt, it is the best, if sradhdhams are performed in one's own house. Cooked by the kuta's wife herself.

According to the niyamangal for performing sradhdha, own house is the best or the rented place in which the kurta dwells or at a place for which the rent for performing the sradhdham is paid (sreshtam seriatum pls.).

All may not be having the facility to conduct sradhdhams in their place of living, due to various reasons. Mixture of other than brahmins in a store type accommodation, less space availability etc. When looking for a place to conduct sradhdhams, the role of places like Sankara Mutt etc. arise.

Your view that spending in one/two occasions a sizeable amount for the satisfaction of one's own pitrus need not be made a hue and cry - is well taken. After all they are our own pitrus.

Incidentally, the cost of performing one parvana sradhdham in Chennai, is Rs.3,000/- (all charges including brahmana dhakshinai, provisions, labour etc.). This is a considerable amount for a middle class family.

Not many women are in a position to do the sradhdha samayal, wearing madisar. Lot of poor brahmana mamis are available to fill this gap and they are ready to take the cooking part. These women should observe sradhdha madi. That is all. This option is the second best.

Karta should observe his niyamangal all thro this paksha, or atleast for a week or 3 days. Our sradhdhai and involvement in its conduct matter.
In my parents' days, my mother and all lady members of the family used to talk, almost all the time, about the annual sradhdhams (two or three in a year) in the family. Male members will be worrying - sthanam brahmanas to come in time, should not be raining that week, fuel to be kept in an easily flammable condition, the menu for the lunch, etc. That much sradhdhai was there. Infact, the karma 'sradhdham' got its name, because of the sradhdhai it involves.

Nowadays, sradhdhams can be performed with very least botheration. Infact, like conducting a small party.

Practice of observing Dharmasasthram is becoming near 'not possible' stage now and we have started relaxing Dharmasasthram to our convenience.
A spade is a spade, sir. Let us not 'it is something-else'.

Regards.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை
அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!

Shri Sangom Sir :

Thank you for your views.

No doubt, it is the best, if sradhdhams are performed in one's own house. Cooked by the kuta's wife herself.

According to the niyamangal for performing sradhdha, own house is the best or the rented place in which the kurta dwells or at a place for which the rent for performing the sradhdham is paid (sreshtam seriatum pls.).

All may not be having the facility to conduct sradhdhams in their place of living, due to various reasons. Mixture of other than brahmins in a store type accommodation, less space availability etc. When looking for a place to conduct sradhdhams, the role of places like Sankara Mutt etc. arise.

Your view that spending in one/two occasions a sizeable amount for the satisfaction of one's own pitrus need not be made a hue and cry - is well taken. After all they are our own pitrus.

Incidentally, the cost of performing one parvana sradhdham in Chennai, is Rs.3,000/- (all charges including brahmana dhakshinai, provisions, labour etc.). This is a considerable amount for a middle class family.

Not many women are in a position to do the sradhdha samayal, wearing madisar. Lot of poor brahmana mamis are available to fill this gap and they are ready to take the cooking part. These women should observe sradhdha madi. That is all. This option is the second best.

Karta should observe his niyamangal all thro this paksha, or atleast for a week or 3 days. Our sradhdhai and involvement in its conduct matter.
In my parents' days, my mother and all lady members of the family used to talk, almost all the time, about the annual sradhdhams (two or three in a year) in the family. Male members will be worrying - sthanam brahmanas to come in time, should not be raining that week, fuel to be kept in an easily flammable condition, the menu for the lunch, etc. That much sradhdhai was there. Infact, the karma 'sradhdham' got its name, because of the sradhdhai it involves.

Nowadays, sradhdhams can be performed with very least botheration. Infact, like conducting a small party.

Practice of observing Dharmasasthram is becoming near 'not possible' stage now and we have started relaxing Dharmasasthram to our convenience.
A spade is a spade, sir. Let us not 'it is something-else'.

Regards.

Shri Soundararajan,
You will see that I had replied to Swami's doubt about daayaati's are allowed to cook (for sraaddham) as per the saastras. Incidentally, I wrote some stipulations which are there in the Dharmasastras and prefixed my words, carefully, with the word "curiously". Thus I was neither criticising current practice/s nor asking for the Dharmasaastras being followed meticulously. My intention was (and is) to show how far these rites have undergone changes so that readers will get an impartial view and learn about the basis on which all these rites were originally instituted.

I feel it is beneficial that this type of information reaches the brahmins in general.

So, I am not here to "argue" but to say that "a spade", meaning what was originally envisaged by our ancestors, is no longer the "spade" it was, but has become a "clover" nowadays.

Namassadhasae.

Shri Sangom Sir,

Thank you for your response.

I also like to share your concern that the following of Dharmasasthram is losing its importance day by day.

Only the pitru karyams (sradhdham and amavasai tharpanam) are followed with some kind of fear psychosis that our sandhadhis may get affected, by most of us.

The more we lose our grip on vedic and sasthram matters, which is our swadharma, the more we face lot of problems in our life. Sasthram is for our sukam. Unfortunately, those who likes to follow them to the extent possible and make some kind of pracharam are called as 'vaisampayanars'.

My opinion also is that nowadays following of these matters in the way it should be done is losing importance and we are helpless due to various reasons.

I respect and bow down to your exposure, knowledge and involvement in these matters sir. I sincerely regret if I have hurt you anyway in expressing my view. In this game, we two are in the same team pls.

Thanks again & Regards.

In his book aapasthamba paarvana srardha prayogam srivatsa somadeva sarma available in bhavani book centre station road west mambalam chennai 33 he has given tamil meaning and srardha niyamangal . 156 pages. he has given all details .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back