• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Language Issue

sravna

People from the north and the government too thinks Hindi should be the language for all while south oppose it. It is a tricky issue as with any issue concerning diversity. You just cannot promote one at the expense of others. What then is the solution? How about rotation of languages that would be given focus. 4 languages one from north, south, east and west will be focused upon for popularizing and promoting every 5 years. English along with the language of the state and the selected languages should be the preferred languages in a state. There will be 5 or 6 languages in vogue in a state. No big deal as we already have 3 language systems. An extra effort in learning and promoting other Indian languages will immensely help harmony and peace.

Technology may solve some problems of communication but the culture rooted in languages is beyond the scope of technology.

Honestly, just use English as the national language.
Its easier for India.
In Malaysia, the national language is Malay.
We dont study in English medium.
I didnt study in English medium..I studied in Malay medium but English is a compulsory subject and English is widely used everywhere.
In the hospitals we only use English to write reports, notes etc.
When speaking, most of us speak at least 3 languages..Malay, English and mother tongue.
Malay too is widely spoken and mainly used in government documents but medical and legal documents still use English.
Its a healthy balance and no issues.
You would find usage of Tamil and Mandarin widely too especially in signboards in certain places.
The Malaysia airlines flying to India makes announcements in English,Malay and Tamil.

For India, since there is no one language for all, so a problem arises.

I remember once when I was on flight from Malaysia to Bangalore, a North Indian woman from India seated next to me got annoyed that Msian airlines made announcement in Tamil.
She told me " why should it be Tamil..Tamil is not the national language of India..the announcement should be in Hindi"

I didnt want to argue with her so I told her.." Majority of those on flight are Tamilians from Msia, hence the announcement in Tamil.
Anyway, we are on the way to Blore..so may be the announcement should also be in Kannada...if its heading towards Delhi, then it could be Hindi..if to Punjab..then Punjabi etc"

She didnt say a word.
Intolerance is very high in India.
Its just personal importance.

Using English is easier. But you will be killing other languages. Just like studying Physics and chemistry you need to study one or two more languages. Unburden students of unnecessary subjects and include more languages. You get to study more about other cultures too. So it is a balance between science and culture. Also people are emotionally attached to their language. You cannot do that away with coercion.

Honestly, just use English as the national language.
Its easier for India.
In Malaysia, the national language is Malay.
We dont study in English medium.
I didnt study in English medium..I studied in Malay medium but English is a compulsory subject and English is widely used everywhere.
In the hospitals we only use English to write reports, notes etc.
When speaking, most of us speak at least 3 languages..Malay, English and mother tongue.
Malay too is widely spoken and mainly used in government documents but medical and legal documents still use English.
Its a healthy balance and no issues.
You would find usage of Tamil and Mandarin widely too especially in signboards in certain places.
The Malaysia airlines flying to India makes announcements in English,Malay and Tamil.

For India, since there is no one language for all, so a problem arises.

I remember once when I was on flight from Malaysia to Bangalore, a North Indian woman from India seated next to me got annoyed that Msian airlines made announcement in Tamil.
She told me " why should it be Tamil..Tamil is not the national language of India..the announcement should be in Hindi"

I didnt want to argue with her so I told her.." Majority of those on flight are Tamilians from Msia, hence the announcement in Tamil.
Anyway, we are on the way to Blore..so may be the announcement should also be in Kannada...if its heading towards Delhi, then it could be Hindi..if to Punjab..then Punjabi etc"

She didnt say a word.
Intolerance is very high in India.
Its just personal importance.
1694842750734.png

Nice. Not only in the flight wherever we travel in North and friends there will ask us to learn and speak in Hindi next time. But they won't bother to talk or learn English though their vocabulary in English is smarter than any other South Indian. Only with their vocabulary mixing we can understand their communication.

Nice. Not only in the flight wherever we travel in North and friends there will ask us to learn and speak in Hindi next time. But they won't bother to talk or learn English though their vocabulary in English is smarter than any other South Indian. Only with their vocabulary mixing we can understand their communication.
Usually they dont make any effort to multilingual.

Claims of Hindi imposition are vastly exaggerated in TN because of politics. TN politics is first and foremost anti- something. Anti-brahmin, Anti-hindi, Anti North India etc etc. Brahmins of all people should not get sucked into this anti-hindi thing. TN is a hellhole for brahmins and it is in their best interest to learn another Indian language in addition to English. Also, other southern states don't share the same intensity of animosity against Hindi. For example, there is no issue of Navodaya schools operating in other states including Kerala. Tamil, being mother tongue, is easy to learn and comes natural. In addition, it is in our best interest to learn English and at least one other Indian language, preferably Hindi.

Claims of Hindi imposition are vastly exaggerated in TN because of politics. TN politics is first and foremost anti- something. Anti-brahmin, Anti-hindi, Anti North India etc etc. Brahmins of all people should not get sucked into this anti-hindi thing. TN is a hellhole for brahmins and it is in their best interest to learn another Indian language in addition to English. Also, other southern states don't share the same intensity of animosity against Hindi. For example, there is no issue of Navodaya schools operating in other states including Kerala. Tamil, being mother tongue, is easy to learn and comes natural. In addition, it is in our best interest to learn English and at least one other Indian language, preferably Hindi.
hi

i have compulsory hindi as third language in kerala....i studied sanskrit first language....english second

language...hindi third language..its must in kerala education system in my SSLC EXAM...

Hi

i studied in high school.....the communist government....education minister muslim....BUT I STUDIED

SANSKRIT FIRST LANGUAGE....ENGLISH SECOND LANGUAGE.....HINDI THIRD LANGUAGE....NO STATE/

REGIONAL LANGUAGE IN MY SSLC EXAM....its called kerala state....highest literacy state in india..

When we can see Aradhana & s new theatre came Little An and why not learn Hindi. Its for ones ien good. Let's not fall a pray to politicians who have own agendas

When we can see Aradhana & s new theatre came Little An and why not learn Hindi. Its for ones ien good. Let's not fall a pray to politicians who have own agendas

HI

I AM ALWAYS PROUD KERALA EDUCATION SYSTEM INDIA......HIGHLY EDUCATED STATE IN INDIA....EVERY HOUSE....THERE IS GRADUATE IN EVER HOUSE....

HI

I AM ALWAYS PROUD KERALA EDUCATION SYSTEM INDIA......HIGHLY EDUCATED STATE IN INDIA....EVERY HOUSE....THERE IS GRADUATE IN EVER HOUSE....
Good..but at the same time, there is a great difference between having a college degree and being truly educated.

Actually there is no harm learning any language.
I myself do read Hindi quite well owing to the fact I know Sanskrit but my spoken Hindi isnt as fluent but enough for simple conversations.
Whenever I forget some words I replace it with some Sanskrit words or Arabic words..so it ends up sounding either Sanskritized or sounding like Urdu but enough to handle simple conversations.

I usually speak Hindi to the Pakistani origin workers who work here, they usually do repair works.
They are happy when someone speaks to them in Hindi and simple people appreciate anyone speaking their language.
The Pakistani workers out here speak fluent Malay and some even pick up Tamil.

But I dont speak Hindi to anyone who feels that they got a right to impose it to others..for these types, I only speak English.

Actually there is no harm learning any language.
I myself do read Hindi quite well owing to the fact I know Sanskrit but my spoken Hindi isnt as fluent but enough for simple conversations.
Whenever I forget some words I replace it with some Sanskrit words or Arabic words..so it ends up sounding either Sanskritized or sounding like Urdu but enough to handle simple conversations.

I usually speak Hindi to the Pakistani origin workers who work here, they usually do repair works.
They are happy when someone speaks to them in Hindi and simple people appreciate anyone speaking their language.
The Pakistani workers out here speak fluent Malay and some even pick up Tamil.

But I dont speak Hindi to anyone who feels that they got a right to impose it to others..for these types, I only speak English.
Hi
in TN.....learning hindi /sanskrit..just dream only in govt schools.....never happened.....

Tambrahms have no language issue. In school our children learn English, Hindí and language of the state we live in. We speak english with our children and tamil among ourselves. The children pick up tamil from us.
No problem.

Latest ads

Back