• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Great Hindu Tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
siganeswarie,

Why are you posting such large images? And what is the relevance of sitar-players and sitar-playing to this thread? There is nothing about hindu tradition in your post above. I request you to delete your post from this thread and post in a relevant thread.

Anyways,
Vivek, my post to you is here: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/5813-great-hindu-tradition-15.html#post70062 Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

If Wikipedia can be taken as a reliable source of information, then here are the quotes in its article on EVR about brahmins and snake:
Periyar E. V. Ramasamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Periyar was a radical advocate of anti-Brahmanism. His anti-brahmanism was evident from his comments to his followers that if they encountered a Brahmin and a snake on the road they should kill the Brahmin first.[84] He also used violent and vulgar language in his writings against Hindu gods.[85]

However, at the same time, Periyar has also advocated the destruction of Brahmins.

"Only if the Brahmin is destroyed, caste will be destroyed. The Brahmin is a snake entangled in our feet. He will bite. If you take off your leg, that's all. Don't leave. Brahmin is not able to dominate because power is in the hands of the Tamilian[91]

84. Misra, Maria, Vishnu's Crowded Temple: India since the great rebellion, p. 292.
85. Dirks, Nicholas B. (2001). Castes of Mind: Colonialism and the Making of Modern India. Princeton University Press. pp. 262. ISBN 9780691088952.
91. Viduthalai. July 30, 1957.

The book titled 'EvErAvin maRupakkam' by M.Venkatesan (a Dalit) has this quote:
peiyar_marubakkam_part11 (muraNpADu 4)

sai,

wikipedia can be considered just a source, and definitely not authoratative under any circumstances.
the people who contribute are common folks like you and me, and what is written, reflects the prejudice and level of ignorance of the contributor.

i have treated wikipedia more for informative purposes and for starters only.

i can understand tambrams disliking periyar. thanks to him, our society has changed. even tambrams, though they might be reluctant to admit it. atleast i think so.

If Wikipedia can be taken as a reliable source of information,
This is the rub, not everything you see in Wikipedia is reliable. You have to crosscheck and dig a little deeper.

Periyar was a radical advocate of anti-Brahmanism. His anti-brahmanism was evident from his comments to his followers that if they encountered a Brahmin and a snake on the road they should kill the Brahmin first.[84]
The reference [84] is "Misra, Maria, Vishnu's Crowded Temple: India since the great rebellion, p. 292." This book is available in Google Books online and page 292 is open and can be seen. Look it up and you will see that this is no more than hearsay, no footnote of any kind. This means, this part of the Wiki article is unreliable.

He also used violent and vulgar language in his writings against Hindu gods.[85]
Violence and vulgarity when it comes to Hindu gods is quite common, both in the puranas in text form, and visually in temples -- many temple gouprams depict obscene acts of various forms including the gopuram in kallazagar kovil in Thirumaliruncholai.

"Only if the Brahmin is destroyed, caste will be destroyed. The Brahmin is a snake entangled in our feet. He will bite. If you take off your leg, that's all. Don't leave. Brahmin is not able to dominate because power is in the hands of the Tamilian[91]
This is incendiary language alright, but I do not take it literally, and nobody did. Further, even Manu Dharma Shashthras says Brahmins and snakes must never be disrespected. Perhaps EVR was took this and extended it, I do not know.

In any case, nobody took these words literally, Brahmins were not destroyed, to this day they are thriving in all respects, even in Politics at the center if not in Tamil Nadu state politics. The destruction EVR called for is the out-sized power and influence of Brahmins.

The book titled 'EvErAvin maRupakkam' by M.Venkatesan (a Dalit) has this quote:
peiyar_marubakkam_part11 (muraNpADu 4)
Yes, there are lot of contradictions, but nothing here supports the original claim that he advocated direct violence like killing Brahmins. That is what started this line of discussion. If your point is EVR showed extreme antipathy towards Brahmins as a group and their power and position, yes indeed, he did, and for that he has been deified by all NBs, including most Dalits, M. Venkatesan not withstanding. If your point is EVR contradicted himself, alright, good for him.

Thank you ...

This is what you have said to Vivek.

//Vivek, if you are honest, the very least you could do is maintain a sphinx-like silence like suraju06 does when caught in such a predicament. Instead you are doubling down, it is sad indeed."//

It is obvious that I have touched a raw nerve of you. I am amused. Thank you.
I am glad you are amused. I hate to interrupt your moment of bliss, but, where is your answer suraju06 for my question:
How come the present day Brahmin SVs can't follow even the narrowly interpreted words of Azhvars?
You are maintaining a sphinx-like silence on this question and at the same time you accused me of the exact same thing. suraju06, this is what people call hypocrisy.

Of course, I realize your predicament. If you agree with my view that the present day SV acharyas eulogize great commentators like Sri Periyavachchan pillai but refuse to follow their teachings when it comes to caste, then, according to SV code of conduct, you will be committing the gravest of offenses from which even Sriman Narayana won't provide redemption.

At the same time, if you say what the present day SV acharya's teaching regarding adherence to caste consciousness is perfectly correct, then you are implying that the great commentators got it all wrong with caste, which again is an unspeakable offense with grave consequences.

You are caught in a predicament. Added to this, either way you have to concede I have a point, I am sure an ignominious outcome in your mind, worse than loss of hair for Kavariman.

Enjoy your moment of levity, blissfully ignoring the hypocrisy you are swimming in.

Thank you ....

Sow. Happyhindu

"Which literature written by brahmins supports caste by temperment and not family of birth? The author of Bhagavad Gita claimed that brahmins are endowed with certain qualities. But those qualities are said to be in a man since his birth and inherited and honed by the environment in which he is raised."

Wrong. The reference I showed clearly pointed to attributes being born of the individual's own nature. In short, they define the traits that make up a brahmin. And that is exactly the way Arya Samaj, ISCKON see it too.

"Take any self-appointed kshatriya in history, whether it is Harihara raya / Bukka raya, Shivaji, Achyutappa nayaka, or anyone else - you will always find a Vidyaranya, or a Kondadev, or a Govinda dikshita as an advisor. Such brahmins and rulers gained mutually and hence associated with each other."

And these people didn't become kshatriyas just like that either - they rose to prominance with the help of their mentors too. Happyhindu, the DK or yourself may be interested in vilifying the brahmins, but the community does have a legacy way beyond casteism or the mutts and that is something you refuse to see.

"None of these brahmin advisors ever asked the rulers to allow low-castes to change occupations."

But they were significant part of social revolutions way before colonial India, which is something you won't accept as you pin blame on them.

To point, you are again considering history of casteism (like the DK does) to be a puppet show run by brahmins, only so that you can load an attack on the community.

"Finally what matters socially is the stand taken by the orthodoxy or the mutts."

Not just the mutts - all of society. Mutts (run by brahmins) is one side of the equation, which is what you are ignoring.

People who ill-treat dalits, contrary to what you said of climibing up a ladder, do so from their own pleasure in abasing those under them. And why should DK or yourself, make this look like it is exclusively a brahmin issue? Why are you justifying it to be that way?

"Again, we are not talking of DK here. I suggest you finish talking about the hindu history and the shastras, and then move on to DK-bashing. Otherwise your posts are like a jumbled up mess."

I provided you reference. And indeed what is relevant is DK and tamil society at present.

"Whatever you want to say to Sangom sir, say it to him directly on a post addressed to him. Otherwise it would be akin to the indirectly-direct name-calling that some elderly (but possibly cowardly) people indulge in here."

I spoke of Sangom, not to attack him or hurt him - but to point correctly the trend of thinking among some TBs. My posts are here for all to read.

"Arya samaj was established in the colonial period. So yes it is a sprout of colonial india. It is true that the chaturvarna system began from the grihyasutra and dharmashastra periods; and was non-existant before that. But ever since it came into being the chaturvarna system was always based on family of birth."

It wasn't, and I guess that is where we will disagree. To me Arya Samaj's movement was one of revival, not social pressure. Do you have anything to say the Chaturvarna system all of a sudden came to assigned people occupations and then forced them to follow it heriditary?
In any case, to me the definition of brahmin I have pointed in BG, and I think brahmins need to go by ideas in the scriptures (written over various eras) which they can discern for themselves.

"In buddhism, character / temperment decided caste and not the family of birth. Hence in buddhism martial clans like mauryas were called kshatriya although they were not dvijas from the vedic pov."

That was the case in all of early Indian society. The BG too speaks clearly of the individual's nature.

"The spirit of Arya Samaj is admirable in allowing anyone with the inclinition and the ability to train as priests."

It is not only about attaining preisthood, it is about finding your edge. This is why Vivekananda said he wasn't interested in converting anyone to anything but help them perfect what they are, or choose.

"However Arya Samaj is not a mutt. The Samaj played no role in polity, they did not influence leaders or the indian constitution."

They influenced India and the world at too though. You and I wouldn't be discussing them here if they didn't influence.

"They can make no difference to the society at large as long as the brahmanical orthodoxy propagates birth-based divisions."

They already have made a difference. The mutts are echoing the bias of society, as its speakers nothing else. What I don't understand is why casteism for you or DK is merely related to the mutts or denial of temple entry - its much more than that, which is what you need to open your eyes to.

"I do not know how every sanskritised group can claim to be brahmins. I hope to put all details of various sankritization events on a blog someday (am certain it would displease many if not all casteists)."

I never claimed that. Even buddhist monks who didn't study sanskrit were called brahmins, but the legacy of brahmins does extent to earlier times too. As I said, your idea of religions being community markers was not so prevailant among brahmins which is why you can have father, son, grandson, in different faiths. In those times (as I believe it should ideally be even now), it was an individual's choice. Today due defining communities on those basis (the result of modern day politics), things are different.

"Yes its true that NBs suppress low-castes in rural places bcoz they think it wud be a social embarassement to them if those low-castes become their equal. But why do they consider them 'low-caste'? Who designated those 'low-castes' as low-castes'? How did they get designated as 'low-castes'?
Just becoz i mention
1) shastras breed casteism,
2) shastras condition human nature,
3) orthodoxy should give up caste discrimination,
it does not mean that the present day brahmins should be held guilty. It merely means the orthodoxy must give up casteism. It is better you keep a check on your habit of assuming and claiming things."

Nobody reads the scriptures and develops their sense of bias. The true reason, is the same for societies - people tend to develop a sense of bias because of their own wish to exploit.

This happens because they are incapable of projecting their being into the others. That is exactly why Krishna says in the BG to look at others as one looks at him (Krishna). The morals of the Upanishads are not some rosy things laid for the sake of it - they represent the early thought of brahmins, and what was considered ideal in India once.

Arya Samaj is very much voicing from brahmin literature, why does this not influence people ill-treating others? You can only get to the reality of this if you stop blaming TBs and start seeing casteism for what it is. See casteism for what it is, mutts are only part of present day social reality.

"Yes there was no mutts in vedic religion. Nowhere in puranas, itihasas, vedas, do you find rishis living in monastries. Rishis lived in ashrams or gurukuls not in monastries / mutts. The whole concept of mutts happened in the "vedism" in the post-buddhist times."

From my understanding too it came lateer as you say. It is all the more reason you should accept what I am saying about the mutts and their practices not being the entireity of brahmin culture or tradition.

"To the vedic religion, the man who performs yaagams (follows brahmanical texts) is a brahman (this is the purvamimansa school). But to the vedantins, the man who has attained a particular state of mind is a brahman (this is the uttaramimansa school)."

This is exactly what I meant when I said the scriptures are varied. But there is one point when you say "there is no connection", the point is the mutts or arya samaj both regard the vedas - only they come to conclude different things.

"Please prove it. Which texts? Patanjali does not mention any asanas."

And Yoga is much more than asanas. =)

"Zimmer has written extensiely on the pre-aryan origins of yoga. Jaina concepts of yoga are supposedly older than those of Patanjali, although they got written down later."

Those who espoused an idea of pre-aryan and post-aryan or DK's idea of aryan and dravidian are of a separate era.

" Me too think yoga belongs more to the jain tradition and was borrowed into the hindu tradition. Even the concept of fasting is not there in vedic literature. The vedic people used to sacrifice and consume all sorts of animals (they were not the fasting sort or the vegetarian sort). "

And you are mistaken to think there were any one particular group called "vedic people". If you are speaking of those who regarded the vedas, there is huge variety in their own conclusions. If you read Siddhartha Gautama's own journey you will see he went to astika schools where ideas of yoga were relevant - including breathing techniques (as in Arda Kalam's place) like pranayam, anapanasati, samadhi.

"Anyways, what difference does it make to anyone if brahmins fought casteism? Today casteism remains rampant in rural areas. It merely means everyone who fought against casteism all this while lost against the orthodoxy. "

Wrong. It only means the mission is not over though started by others. The point also is DK, nor yourself can come to accept brahmins fighting against casteism as their doing - you can go to call it as "sprout of colonial India" or having done under "social pressure" to justify your biases.

"I appreciate arya samaj very much. But i think they got a few things wrong, esp wrt to manusmrithi and idol-worship, which is a seperate topic by itself and not related to this thread."

What matters socially is not what orthodoxy propogates but what society comes to think. Orthdoxy is changed by eras, hetrodoxy and even revivals are the ones that change an era though. That has been part of brahmin tradition too.

Now your point of argument here seems to say the everyone else, save yourself, got the BG wrong. Is it?

"That can also mean Chanakya did not bother to help Chandragupta to reform brahmanism."

There was nothing like it - you live in your own world for vilifying brahmins when the term brahmana itself had a wider meaning, and when brahmins have themselves a separate legacy.

". As long as his own job (against the nandas) was done, Chanakya was satisfied and so (perhaps) he did not bother if chandragupta converted to jainism (to me, that wud mean chanakya was selfish)."

Yes, to you it would mean everything evil of Chankya because he was a brahmin. Plain and simple right? Chanakya btw, didn't just do "his own job" against the Nandas, he came to be part of one of the greatest empires in India.

"Chanakya did not take talent from "lower stratas of society". The mauryas were already a martial group. Chanakya did not train the mauryas themselves or the vast maurya army in the usage of various arms or in battle strategies."

They were peacock herders. They were not a previlaged group at the time of the Nandas.

"and project themselves as people with nice qualities of self-restraint, purity, honesty, etc, etc. All those descriptions on the qualities of a brahmana are merely self-serving ones."

Get out of your brahmin-hating shell. Its not about "nice qualities" they spoke of themselves, its about traits which suited a particular role in society.

"And how did they become "iyers" after having lived life as jains? Does the text say your family was made into "iyers" because of their temperment?"

No because the accepted the astika school. Brahmanas are mentioned, are in other schools like buddhism too, so don't confuse yourself.

"Anyone who is interested in this topic (ie, history of vedic religion) will know the difference between the vedic period and the itihasa period and how the usage of the terms "arya" and "anarya" changed by the time it came to the itihasa period. It is also well known that Mahabharat was interpolated / modified / written over a long period of time"

I have read till present day researches which put to doubt earlier ideas of the 20th century. You are saying this sudden change came about in meaning because Indians suffered a blow in the head and didn't recover from amnesia? lol.

The point is the ved samhitas, as well as the epics, as well as non-hindu literature which used the term - always, through history gave only one meaning of "arya". The second meaning came from Europe only much later.

Regards,
Vivek.

Last edited:
"Which literature written by brahmins supports caste by temperment and not family of birth? The author of Bhagavad Gita claimed that brahmins are endowed with certain qualities. But those qualities are said to be in a man since his birth and inherited and honed by the environment in which he is raised."

Wrong. The reference I showed clearly pointed to attributes being born of the individual's own nature. In short, they define the traits that make up a brahmin. And that is exactly the way Arya Samaj, ISCKON see it too.
Now your point of argument here seems to say the everyone else, save yourself, got the BG wrong. Is it?
You gave the reference of Bhagavad Gita which the orthodoxy takes to mean caste by birth. Either you will need to accept that the explanation give by Chandrashekhara Swami is wrong and/or you need to provide proof from vedic literature / history that there was a time in history when the hindu chaturvarna system was based on temperment.

And these people didn't become kshatriyas just like that either - they rose to prominance with the help of their mentors too. Happyhindu, the DK or yourself may be interested in vilifying the brahmins, but the community does have a legacy way beyond casteism or the mutts and that is something you refuse to see.
How did the warriors 'rise to prominence' due to their mentors? Did the brahmin mentors train the rulers or their armies in the usage of various arms, in battle-strategies, in organizing various supplies for a battle, in building forts, in administration of provinces, etc. Just how did these mentors help the rulers?

But they were significant part of social revolutions way before colonial India, which is something you won't accept as you pin blame on them.
Brahmins were part of which social revolutions before colonial india?

Not just the mutts - all of society. Mutts (run by brahmins) is one side of the equation, which is what you are ignoring.
Sorry the social stand taken my mutts / orthodoxy matters the most.

People who ill-treat dalits, contrary to what you said of climibing up a ladder, do so from their own pleasure in abasing those under them. And why should DK or yourself, make this look like it is exclusively a brahmin issue? Why are you justifying it to be that way?
Sorry, but its undeniable that the 'low-castes' became designated as 'low-castes' in the shastras. And it is due to the shastras that they cud not change caste in pre-colonial india (bcoz practically all kingdoms followed such 'shastras'). In the present time, the orthodoxy still holds on those labour-laws as some sort of 'divinity'. If anyone changed caste in pre-colonial india, it had to be done on the sly. Only in colonial india, caste changes (and claims) became openly known and common.

I provided you reference. And indeed what is relevant is DK and tamil society at present.
None of your so-called 'references' on DK are valid in this discussion where the context is pre-colonial hindu history of the shastras. We can do DK-bashing later. First let us resolve whether or not the shastras breed casteism.

I spoke of Sangom, not to attack him or hurt him - but to point correctly the trend of thinking among some TBs. My posts are here for all to read.
Please do not make comments directed at Sangom sir or Nara sir on posts addressed to me.

It wasn't, and I guess that is where we will disagree. To me Arya Samaj's movement was one of revival, not social pressure. Do you have anything to say the Chaturvarna system all of a sudden came to assigned people occupations and then forced them to follow it heriditary?
In any case, to me the definition of brahmin I have pointed in BG, and I think brahmins need to go by ideas in the scriptures (written over various eras) which they can discern for themselves.
We can agree to disagree where there is an amount of equitable weightage on both sides of a viewpoint. Here you are merely making empty claims (with no references) and are expecting your claims to be given equal weightage to something that has ample proof all over history and vedic literature.

It does not matter what Arya Samaj is personally to you. It remains a fact that it is a sprout of colonial india.

From the historic pov, the chaturvarna system began from the grihyasutra and dharmashastra periods; and was non-existant before that. Ever since the chaturvarna system was created it has always been on family of birth and not on temperment. There was no point in time when temperment gave way to a heredity basis. If there was, then you need to prove it by providing relevant proof from relevant vedic texts and/or historical texts.

"In buddhism, character / temperment decided caste and not the family of birth. Hence in buddhism martial clans like mauryas were called kshatriya although they were not dvijas from the vedic pov."

That was the case in all of early Indian society. The BG too speaks clearly of the individual's nature.
Please don't just repeat claims without references / proof. Please provide proof from relevant vedic texts and/or historical texts that the vedic chaturvarna system was based on character / temperment and not family of birth.

They influenced India and the world at too though. You and I wouldn't be discussing them here if they didn't influence.
Please do not just blame without proof. Please tell me in what way did the teachers of Arya Samaj influence politicians or the indian constitution ?

They already have made a difference. The mutts are echoing the bias of society, as its speakers nothing else. What I don't understand is why casteism for you or DK is merely related to the mutts or denial of temple entry - its much more than that, which is what you need to open your eyes to.
Sorry Arya samaj has not been able to remove caste-discrimination. They have not been able to make any difference and will not be able to make any difference as long as the orthodoxy continues to propagate caste-discrimination.

I never claimed that. Even buddhist monks who didn't study sanskrit were called brahmins, but the legacy of brahmins does extent to earlier times too. As I said, your idea of religions being community markers was not so prevailant among brahmins which is why you can have father, son, grandson, in different faiths. In those times (as I believe it should ideally be even now), it was an individual's choice. Today due defining communities on those basis (the result of modern day politics), things are different.
Ofcourse you claimed this about Chitpavans -- "And that makes them brahmins nevertheless". Please tell me how can sanskritized groups claim to be brahmins? Please stick to the vedic religion. If you want to support Buddhism / Buddhist concepts / Buddhist texts, you might as well state that you are supporting Buddhism. If you want to talk about vedic religion, then stick to vedic texts.

Nobody reads the scriptures and develops their sense of bias. The true reason, is the same for societies - people tend to develop a sense of bias because of their own wish to exploit.
How do people develop a sense of bias? Why do they feel that "those people" are "low-castes" ? How did the "low-castes" get designated as "low caste"? Who teaches bias to young children if not elders / parents? How did the elders / parents themselves get the opinion that "those people" are "low castes"? Why are they regarded as "low caste"?

This happens because they are incapable of projecting their being into the others. That is exactly why Krishna says in the BG to look at others as one looks at him (Krishna). The morals of the Upanishads are not some rosy things laid for the sake of it - they represent the early thought of brahmins, and what was considered ideal in India once.
Seriously do you think everyone is capable of projecting their being into others? Did brahmins themselves follow that in historical time? Which upanishad says caste is based on temperment and not family of birth?

Arya Samaj is very much voicing from brahmin literature, why does this not influence people ill-treating others? You can only get to the reality of this if you stop blaming TBs and start seeing casteism for what it is. See casteism for what it is, mutts are only part of present day social reality.
Arya Samaj is trying to propagate the vedas by first trying to circumvent the bad portions of the dharmashastras. Surendra Kumar of Arya Samaj came up with a publication in hindi claiming that many portions of Manusmrithi are interpolations. But he does not answer a crucial question -- even if those verses were interpolations, who gained from it if not brahmins? And what really is brahmin literature btw?

"Yes there was no mutts in vedic religion. Nowhere in puranas, itihasas, vedas, do you find rishis living in monastries. Rishis lived in ashrams .. concept of mutts happened in the "vedism" in the post-buddhist times."

From my understanding too it came lateer as you say. It is all the more reason you should accept what I am saying about the mutts and their practices not being the entireity of brahmin culture or tradition.
Are you saying mutts and their practices do not represent the entirety of brahmin culture? Please can you define what is 'brahmin culture' first?

"To the vedic religion, the man who performs yaagams (follows brahmanical texts) is a brahman (this is the purvamimansa school). But to the vedantins, the man who has attained a particular state of mind is a brahman (this is the uttaramimansa school)."

This is exactly what I meant when I said the scriptures are varied. But there is one point when you say "there is no connection", the point is the mutts or arya samaj both regard the vedas - only they come to conclude different things.
Sorry, i already explained in a previous thread to you how the uttaramimansa school itself is a new one.There is no basis for anyone to claim that "scriptures are varied" since an ancient past; and hence definitions of brahmins are varied since an ancient past. This "varied' definition of a 'brahmana' came only in the vedanta period.

There was nothing called vedanta or the prasthana trayi texts in the vedic period. Most upanishads were written after the vedic period. It is well established that Badrayana wrote Brahmasutra after the vedic period.

On what basis do you say that mutts and arya samaj "both regard the vedas" and "conclude different things" ?

And Yoga is much more than asanas. =)
Non-sequitur again. Everyone knows yoga is more than asanas. You need to provide proof which vedic texts espouse yoga before patanjali.

Those who espoused an idea of pre-aryan and post-aryan or DK's idea of aryan and dravidian are of a separate era.
Sure sure and everything you claim without any shread of evidence from vedic literature / historical texts, is the infallible truth, just bcoz you claim so. Are you able to provide proof that yoga is mentioned in the 4 vedas?

Someone on wikipedia has claimed that ascetics were mentioned in the samhitas and brahmanas (in the article on Yoga). Just bcoz ascetics were mentioned in samhitas and brahmanas does not mean that the vedic people and their gods approved of ascetism. Just because vedic samhitas contain references to shishnadeva (linga) does not mean the vedic people approved of it or liked it (they clearly had disdain for it).

And you are mistaken to think there were any one particular group called "vedic people". If you are speaking of those who regarded the vedas, there is huge variety in their own conclusions. If you read Siddhartha Gautama's own journey you will see he went to astika schools where ideas of yoga were relevant - including breathing techniques (as in Arda Kalam's place) like pranayam, anapanasati, samadhi.
There were several groups that were not vedic (that did not offer fire sacrifices to the vedic gods). Jainism is non-vedic. Jainism is older than Buddhism (and it remains a fact that the vedic religion borrowed heavily from everywhere). So Buddha's visits are not a surprise. For you to prove your claims all you need to do is provide proof if yoga was mentioned and approved of in the 4 vedas.

Wrong. It only means the mission is not over though started by others. The point also is DK, nor yourself can come to accept brahmins fighting against casteism as their doing - you can go to call it as "sprout of colonial India" or having done under "social pressure" to justify your biases.
The 'mission' will never be over until the orthodoxy gives up caste-discrimination.

What matters socially is not what orthodoxy propogates but what society comes to think. Orthdoxy is changed by eras, hetrodoxy and even revivals are the ones that change an era though. That has been part of brahmin tradition too.
Sorry what the orthodoxy propagates matters the most. If the orthodoxy propagates 'divine' labour-laws, they need to take responsibility for it. Everyone in a society is not well versed in the shastras. They merely follow what others follow. People regards some as "low-caste" without even knowing why they regard them as "low-caste".

So now you are claiming that that revivals and changes in orthdoxy is part of "brahmin tradition"? May i know how?

They were peacock herders. They were not a previlaged group at the time of the Nandas.
Are you saying the Mauryas were transformed from Peacock herders into a martial group because of Chanakya? Did Chanakya train Chandragupta in the usage of arms? Did Chanakya create and train the vast Maurya army, the sort that was capable of invading other powerful kingdoms successfully?

Get out of your brahmin-hating shell. Its not about "nice qualities" they spoke of themselves, its about traits which suited a particular role in society.
Are you saying that brahmins had traits suitable for a particular role in the society? Which role? Were all those kshatropeta dvijatayahs (military brahmins) endowed with such wonderful qualities and nice temperment as described for brahmins by the Bhagavad Gita? Well its obvious all those verses on the wonderful qualities of a brahmin in the BG are merely self-serving ones.

No because the accepted the astika school. Brahmanas are mentioned, are in other schools like buddhism too, so don't confuse yourself.
So if anyone accepts astika school, they can become brahmin iyers? Were all Jains converted into iyers this way?

Really, on what basis can you claim that your family was converted from jains into brahmin iyers? And that too at the time of Chandragupta Maurya? To top it, you claim (without any basis) that during the Maurya rule, there was an "original varna system" where caste was based on temperment and not family of birth. Wow really.

"Anyone who is interested in this topic (ie, history of vedic religion) will know the difference between the vedic period and the itihasa period and how the usage of the terms "arya" and "anarya" changed by the time it came to the itihasa period. It is also well known that Mahabharat was interpolated / modified / written over a long period of time"

I have read till present day researches which put to doubt earlier ideas of the 20th century. You are saying this sudden change came about in meaning because Indians suffered a blow in the head and didn't recover from amnesia? lol.

The point is the ved samhitas, as well as the epics, as well as non-hindu literature which used the term - always, through history gave only one meaning of "arya". The second meaning came from Europe only much later.

Regards,
Vivek.
Sure you can have your lol. Your outlandish claims notwithstanding, i would give a lot more credit to the intelligence of the readers than to your claims. Especially since this is an era where information is easily available for cross-checking on google books or any library.

Regards.

Last edited:
Mr. Nara,
I am giving below your words:
//How come the present day Brahmin SVs can't follow even the narrowly interpreted words of Azhvars?//

This I think what you had asked me under the thread in which you asked rhetorically 'Enge Srivaishnavam' and went on to misinterpret Azhwars and Acharyas. I have engaged you fully with answers for every point raised by you through my postings in that thread. Please refer-#17 dated 14-11-2009,#21,22,23,27 all dated 16-11-2009,#37 dated 17-11-2009,#60 dated 18-11-2009, #131 dated 21-11-1009, #139 dated 22-11-2009 ( I have copies this reply here below for your easy reference so that you will know what is my position in respect of your question)and #146 dated 24-11-2009. Please go through each of them and you will find that I have answered all your queries squarely and fully.I hope you wont harp on this any more.

I said on 22-11-2009:
//I do not agree with you.I believe their words are infallible because they are not people like me with a lot of விபரீத ஞானம் . They were people who were well versed in all the Vedas and the upaya vedanta. They were also great teachers: "Sidhdham sat sampradhaye sthiradhiyam,srothriyam, anakam, brahma nishtam, satvasththam,satyavaacham,samaya niyadhayaa ,saathu vruthyaa samedham, damba , asooyaathi muktham , jitha vishayi ganam , dheerga bandhum , dhayaalum , skaalithye saasithaaram sva para hitha param desikam bhushnureepseth" என்ற இலக்கணங்களுக்கு முழு எடுத்துக்காட்டாக திகழ்ந்தவர்கள். They were not ordinary human beings. You may disagree with me. But it is your right. I am not interested in joining issue with you on this. I believe that their interpretation is the correct one. No compromise on that. May be you too would have accepted that the Acharyas are great people infallible etc if they had said " மங்கை
எனும் சொல்லை இடையே ஆழ்வார் சேர்த்திட அறியாதவரல்ல. இத்துணை தமிழறிவு நிரம்பப்பெற்ற அவர் கூடுதலாக ஒரு நேரசையும் நிரையசையும் சேர்த்து பாசுரத்தில் தளையும் அடியும் தொடையும் சரியே அமையுமாறு பொருந்த விட்டிருந்தால் நாம் ஐயத்துக்கிடமின்றி அவரது திருவுள்ளத்தை அறிந்திருப்போம் என்றாலும் அப்படி சாதிக்காது விட்டது பற்றிகிலேசப்படாமல் அவர் இப்படிக்கூறிப்போந்ததிலேயே எல்லாம் அடங்கிற்று என்று கொள்ளலாம்". Unfortunately that was not to be. Cheers.

Sow. Happyhindu

"You gave the reference of Bhagavad Gita which the orthodoxy takes to mean caste by birth."

No, ISCKON and Arya Samaj don't interpret it as caste by birth. Do you see what I mean when I say that interpretations are themselves different? Now for you to consider one as characteristically brahmin, while the other not, only reveals your bias.

"How did the warriors 'rise to prominence' due to their mentors? Did the brahmin mentors train the rulers or their armies in the usage of various arms, in battle-strategies, in organizing various supplies for a battle, in building forts, in administration of provinces, etc. Just how did these mentors help the rulers? "

If I knew I would play a larger role =) Things like this don't happen overnight. But there is no denying, the mentors played a significant role.

"Brahmins were part of which social revolutions before colonial india?"

Brahmins were part of the buddhist rise in the world, of they were part of the freedom struggle before British took control too.

"Sorry the social stand taken my mutts / orthodoxy matters the most."

It matters the most to you because it is your ticket to vilify the brahmins. You will thus consider only that as a brahmin role and ignore everything else.

"Sorry, i already explained in a previous thread to you how the uttaramimansa school itself is a new one.There is no basis for anyone to claim that "scriptures are varied" since an ancient past; and hence definitions of brahmins are varied since an ancient past. This "varied' definition of a 'brahmana' came only in the vedanta period. "

No they existed prior to that - which is why it is in the BG and in Buddhist literature. Infact, the birth based definition (as for any caste) is the corruption of the system. The definition of brahman, as in the BG or Buddhist scriptures pertained to the ethos of Indian society, not sacred teachings of either the astika or nastika school in particular. When Ashoka's edicts speak of respect to brahmanas, its not just buddhist or those of a particular school - it generally means respect to men of learning, a discipline etc. (the defnition of which is a brahmana) .

"Are you able to provide proof that yoga is mentioned in the 4 vedas?"

The school of Yoga is an astika school and has existed since a much earlier time. I already said that i haven't read the vedas and by the somethings I have read, I hardly believe the vedas have direct implications. In anycase, we can keep the origin of Yoga in another thread and you can present your points for which you claim it originated in Jainism.

"Someone on wikipedia has claimed that ascetics were mentioned in the samhitas and brahmanas (in the article on Yoga). Just bcoz ascetics were mentioned in samhitas and brahmanas does not mean that the vedic people and their gods approved of ascetism."

Okay then tell me what according to you does it mean? Mentions of tapasya and astetics mean what to you?

"There were several groups that were not vedic (that did not offer fire sacrifices to the vedic gods). Jainism is non-vedic. Jainism is older than Buddhism (and it remains a fact that the vedic religion borrowed heavily from everywhere). So Buddha's visits are not a surprise. For you to prove your claims all you need to do is provide proof if yoga was mentioned and approved of in the 4 vedas. "

Nastika schools too borrowed, all of it came through relations even if their core philosophy has a difference. As I have said earlier, Vedas have no direct claims. But you don't agree with that either. The point remains however, that Buddha did visit many astika schools which had practices considered part of yoga practice.

Yoga seems to have been an ancient tradition in India. If you are saying it had a Jain origin, you can point to Jain scriptures which prove your point. The term Yoga, as used of the school is itself of astika ("Hindu") origin. If it was of Jain origin, I would assume everything of its terms labelled not in Sanskrit, but in the languages of Jain scriptures.

"First let us resolve whether or not the shastras breed casteism."

Why is only the Manu Smriti, a "shastra" for you? So that you can use it to vilify brahmins? Only you have to resolve your hatred for brahmins, the issue of how ISCKON or Arya Samaj consider brahmins or varnas is clear and needs no resolving - its the original meaning.

"We can agree to disagree where there is an amount of equitable weightage on both sides of a viewpoint. Here you are merely making empty claims (with no references) and are expecting your claims to be given equal weightage to something that has ample proof all over history and vedic literature"

Yes, and the BG, the schools of which see no difference with the vedas, don't speak of birth based caste - which I pointed too.

"It remains a fact that it is a sprout of colonial india."

But it still was a genuine revival of ancient scripture as can be seen in BG itself.

"Please do not just blame without proof. Please tell me in what way did the teachers of Arya Samaj influence politicians or the indian constitution ?"

It influenced the people. And the people ill-treating dalits aren't inspired by shastras like Manu Smriti either (which they haven't even read) nor the mutts, which don't teach this as a subject matter, even though they in their part do ill-treatment of low castes.

They (like the mutts) render ill-treatment based on their own biases. You will only point to Manu Smriti because it justifies your stand in demonizing brahmins.

"They have not been able to make any difference and will not be able to make any difference as long as the orthodoxy continues to propagate caste-discrimination. "

Orthodoxy as I said, only voices the opinions of an era. Arya-Samaj in its part did make a significant revolution.

"How do people develop a sense of bias? Why do they feel that "those people" are "low-castes" ? How did the "low-castes" get designated as "low caste"?"

Why would you ask a question whose answer I have said, and which you clearly can find out? Would it make you happy if I said brahmins made them all stand in a ticket line and picked up tickets labelling them?

It obviously comes from social structure, the evolution of which is quiet complex. Those people develop the sense of bias from their arrogance. To you everything evil was a puppet show run by brahmins, isn't it?

"Seriously do you think everyone is capable of projecting their being into others? Did brahmins themselves follow that in historical time? Which upanishad says caste is based on temperment and not family of birth? "

It is not possible by everyone, which is why casteist ill-treatment exist. But the BG tells to look at all as himself (Krishna), the Upanishads like the vedanta speaks of all (irrespective of caste) as Brahman itself. These references the reason changes were seen in our tradition by groups like Arya Samaj or Brahmo Samaj.

"Arya Samaj is trying to propagate the vedas by first trying to circumvent the bad portions of the dharmashastras. Surendra Kumar of Arya Samaj came up with a publication in hindi claiming that many portions of Manusmrithi are interpolations. But he does not answer a crucial question -- even if those verses were interpolations, who gained from it if not brahmins? And what really is brahmin literature btw?"

The group of people who wrote Hindu literature were largely brahmins, or rather called brahmins for the very literary occupation. This is why "brahmin" literature are themselves varied across schools (including nastika schools) and across eras.

The people who gained from ill-treatment was upper caste society, because the draconian laws made it advantageous for them to impose rigid order in society.

"Are you saying mutts and their practices do not represent the entirety of brahmin culture?"

Yes, you yourself said that before me actually - and its true. Existence of brahmins is before the mutts.

"Please can you define what is 'brahmin culture' first?"

There may be a confusion here in what was exchanged. My comment comes from your claim that mutts don't exist in "vedic religion" (which I haven't seen too, so I tend to agree with you).

Having agreed on that, we know then that brahmins are associated earlier in antiquity to the vedas than they are to the mutts.

So my question was how you consider the mutts as only orthdoxy, having said the statement you already did.

Its hard to pin down what brahmin culture is, as hard to pin down what kshatirya culture is.

"Are you saying that brahmins had traits suitable for a particular role in the society? Which role?
Were all those kshatropeta dvijatayahs (military brahmins) endowed with such wonderful qualities and nice temperment as described for brahmins by the Bhagavad Gita? "

You are miscontruing. The BG defines varna based on traits, doesn't say people born into a varna have so and so traits. Of course, as I said earlier, due to caste politics, its become communities and the idea of varna as in the BG can't be used.

"So if anyone accepts astika school, they can become brahmin iyers? Were all Jains converted into iyers this way?
Really, on what basis can you claim that your family was converted from jains into brahmin iyers? And that too at the time of Chandragupta Maurya? To top it, you claim (without any basis) that during the Maurya rule, there was an "original varna system" where caste was based on temperment and not family of birth. Wow really. "

You are quick to accept that in Buddhist scriptures it was based on temperament, yet the verses following BG 18.41 don't appeal to you. The truth about it is both had varna based on the invidual's traits in the earlier time.

You are reluctant to accept that because you wish to hold on your idea to justify your revile on brahmins. Important to you mainly are, interpretations of the mutts (though brahmin culture goes way beyond it), and speak of only Manu Smriti.

To you, casteism followed by all others is to climb a ladder, as ordered by the mutts and evil part of Indian history is a puppet show played by brahmins.

And yet with this close-minded rhetoric you wish to discuss an issue, when eveyrthing you are asking is easy to find out, and much of which I have already repeated.

Regarding my own claims about my family, I wasn't speaking from what is written in one place, but guessing from a trend in history. It would need a deeper probe from my side to establish the truth of what happened.

What I read was that the village had 8000 Jains - but is also the origin of the Ashtasahasram Iyers. The words Ashtasahasram and Ennayiram both mean 8000. Also given that Jainism wasn't liked in TN at a point (as a verse from Thirupuggal, which my mom reads, suggested), I presumed we did change at that point. The details (and complete validity of this claim) aren't something I claim to know. But its worth probing.

Regards,
Vivek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back