• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Significance of Madisaru ( 9 yard Saree)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even brahmacharis did wear panchakacham (deivathin kural) and no tattdai for anyone except sanyasis. Many old photos of chennai and other towns are in circulation. Virtually everyone is in katchams.

Definitely skin tight peel off jeans, high heels and leotards are very comfortable.

Mandatory is uncomfortable, choice is comfort.

Panchakachcham for 16-year-old boys and madisaaru for 8-11 year old girls. Should have been torture for them.

The scots are still proud of their kilts, I think. In a movie I saw long ago (carry on series I think) when the scot regiment in kilts charges the enemy, some swoon and the rest drop the arms and run away.

Must we lament all the changes in society? I too miss some old tradition, but if people are adopting new mores, so be it. Since when men can successfully make a custom without the tacit support of women? At least my wife did not say I can make that statement, LOL.

.......... Let me see if I can convince my wife to wear it all the time ( she wears it only when we have a vishesham at home).
'All the time'?? OMG! I don't think you can ever convince your wife, Sir!
You must be knowing that this lo......ng saree, if used daily, has to be washed too! :washing:

Who has got the patience, in this generation?

PS: The number of 'daily use' dress will be at least 50, if not more. Who will buy so many 9 yards sarees?

I watch IPL games. I do see few people wearing Indian cloths (leave alone sarees). Everybody is in jeans and t-shirts. Instead of lamenting for madisharu, worry about saries disappearing.

These days, even in homes of Sastrigal who are practicing Vaideeham,
women do not wear 9 yards Saree. Only on occasions like Seetha Kalyanam,
Sumangali Prarthanai days, etc. when we call them, they come in 9 yards
saree. Rather they too prefer Chudi Dhar for convenience just like others,
perhaps their desire to wear. After all they are also human beings.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

When people can wash rotten and swollen jeans why not 9-yard?

Dear Sir,

Did you ever think how the jeans become 'rotten ans swollen'? (also ragged and torn??)

Because they are washed once in a blue moon!!!

BTW did you read the episode of my 'stitching the edge of a torn jeans'?

For those who have not read, here it is - copy pasted!

சும்மாக் கிடந்த ஜீன்ஸை...

குருகுலவாசம் என்பது காணாமல் போய்விட்ட இந்தக் காலத்தில், எனக்குக் கிடைத்தாள் ஒரு குருகுல சிஷ்யை! எங்கள்

உறவில் ஒரு பெண்; வீணை வாசிக்கக் கற்றுக்கொள்ள, ஒரு மாதம் எங்கள் இனிய இல்லத்தில் தங்கியிருந்து, பாடம் கற்றுக்

கொள்வதாகச் சொன்னாள்! எனக்குக் கிடைத்த புதிய அனுபவமாக எண்ணி, நானும் ஏற்றுக் கொண்டேன்!

இரு நாட்கள் வில்லங்கம் இல்லாமல் சென்றன! நம் சாப்பாட்டையும், பஜ்ஜி, சொஜ்ஜி இத்யாதிகளையும் விரும்பிச்

சாப்பிட்டதால், எனக்கும் பிரச்சனையே இல்லை! ஏன் சொல்லுகிறேன் என்றால்: இதற்கும் இரு ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்,

என்னவரின் சகோதரி மகன் வந்தபோது, தோசை முதல் அனைத்துச் சிற்றுண்டிகளுக்கும் 'Peanut Butter ' தேய்க்க வேண்டும்

எனக் கேட்க, நீலகிரி ஸ்டோருக்கு சென்ற என்னவரின் 'உசிலை மணி' 'பர்ஸ்', 'தனுஷ்' போல ஒட்டி உலர்ந்து போனது!

மூன்றாம் நாள், ஒரு அரை ஜீன்ஸை அவள் அணிந்தபடி நடந்தாள்! அதன் ஓரம் முழுதும் பிய்ந்து போய்த் தொங்கியது!

'ஐயோ, பாவம்! இதன் ஓரம் தைத்துக் கொடுக்க அவளின் அம்மாவுக்கு முடியவில்லை போல! அமெரிக்காவில்

இதற்கெல்லாம் ஏது வசதி!' என்று எண்ணியபடி,
அடுத்த நாள் அதைத் துவைத்து உலர்த்திய பின், என் 'தையல் நாயகி'

வேலையை ஆரம்பித்தேன். மூன்று ஊசிகளை பலி கொடுத்து, எப்படியோ அந்த ஜீன்ஸின் ஓரத்தைத் தைத்து முடித்தேன்!

ஹிமாலய சாதனை செய்தது போல முகத்தை வைத்துக்கொண்டு, அவளிடம் ஜீன்ஸை நீட்டினேன்! அவள் ஆனந்தத்தில்

குதிப்பாள் என்று எண்ணிய எனக்கு, பயங்கர 'ஷாக்'! நான் கட்டையை எடுத்து அடித்தது போல அவள் 'ஓ' என்று அலறி, அழ

ஆரம்பித்தாள்! புரியாமல் விழித்த என்னிடம், கண்ணீர் மல்கும் விழிகளோடு. 'ஆன்டீ! எத்தனை கஷ்டப்பட்டு, ஒரு காய்கறி

வெட்டும் கத்தியால்(!) இதை 'அறுத்து' வைத்தேன்! இன்னும் ஆறு மாதம் துவைத்தால்தான், நான் நினைத்தபடி 'நூல்

தொங்கும் ஓரம்' கிடைக்கும்! அதைத் தைத்துக் கெடுத்துட்டீர்களே!' என்று புலம்பினாள்!

இத்துடன் கதை முடியவில்லை. 'சும்மாக் கிடந்த ஜீன்ஸை, தைத்துக் கெடுத்த நான் அழாக் குறையாக, அந்த கெட்டித்

தையலை, படாத பாடுபட்டு, இரண்டு மணி நேரம் போராடி, பிரித்து எடுத்தேன்; பெருமூச்சு விட்டேன்!

:ballchain: . . . :peace:

'வண்ண வண்ண மனிதர்கள்' நூலிலிருந்து....

......... Instead of lamenting for madisharu, worry about saries disappearing.
I feel happy to see ladies wear slightly loose fitting churidhar set. Those who know to stitch can make two tops and one bottom

or one bottom and two tops from a six yards saree. It covers the whole body, comfortable while travelling and very very easy to

maintain! I have used about 20 of my sarees in this way, for my trips to the US.

Many temples in Kerala were objecting to dresses like jeans, pyjamas, salwars earlier. My recent visit to Kerala revealed that

only a few temple object now! Rules are changing. Most of the temples allow churidhar sets but not jeans!

I appreciated Ms. J J, when she announced that girls should wear salwar - kameez as school uniform!! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back