• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Should we accept our daughter's love marriage proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not, a robber wrote the Itihasa, a carpenter became a poet, history is replete with such cases and moreover he already is suffering the consequences of his misdeeds. Until Kalki comes, it’s a painful existence for him. The man has suffered long enough…moreover if someone as pious as Prabhu Shri Ram, if his descendant can fight against the Pandavas at Kurushektra, anything can happen.

Exact reason behind it maybe someone more knowledge can highlight on that.
Fair enough..somewhat like Milarepa.
He killed many people through sorcery and witchcraft( following his mother's advice because his uncle had swindled all the family money)...but finally after feeling remorse he became a well know Siddha Purusha.

Fair enough..somewhat like Milarepa.
He killed many people through sorcery and witchcraft( following his mother's advice because his uncle had swindled all the family money)...but finally after feeling remorse he became a well know Siddha Purusha.
Who confers the title of "Siddha Purush"? Can I confer the title of 'MD" to myself and start practicing Brain Surgery?

All these are stories. Most of the authors have no authority to comment on anything. It might sound possible but lacks proof. Believe in these myths at your own peril. None of the conclusions will pass any fact-check.

Who confers the title of "Siddha Purush"? Can I confer the title of 'MD" to myself and start practicing Brain Surgery?

All these are stories. Most of the authors have no authority to comment on anything. It might sound possible but lacks proof. Believe in these myths at your own peril. None of the conclusions will pass any fact-check.
Dear Prasad ji,
Since a child, I never had doubts about any story which I read about Siddhas,Yogis etc.
To a great extent you sound a lot like my dad and my maternal uncle.
They are into Brahman and Advaita but doesnt simply believe anything that is written and feels that many titles like siddha purusha or realized souls have no real evidence.

But for me, I feel " What if someone is really a Siddha Purusha? Do I want to commit the error of thinking they are not?...even if they are not Siddhas but the lives they lead or their transformation serves as examples for us humans to ponder about..giving us the glimmer of hope that even if we have commited grave sins like killing someone, we would face the karmic consequences but yet be able to transcend that by our shraddha and bhakti..so what do we lose by learning from anyone be it Siddha Purusha or not?

Sometimes we need to ask ourselves why we cant admit perfection or greatness in others?
What is standing in the way?
If we ask ourselves this question we can actually know more about our own mind.

Dont worry about the title. If you are practicing quackery it doesnt matter. Science as is practised now doesn't pass the test of reality. You can let others following a dubious philosophy to confer umpteen titles upon you. They are at best worth for packing sundal or flying kites.

Last edited:
Dont worry about the title. If you are practicing quackery it doesnt matter. Science as is practised now doesn't pass the test of reality. You can let others following a dubious philosophy to confer umpteen titles upon you. It is at best worth for packing sundal.
Sravna..you and Prasad ji are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
You reject science and Prasadji rejects unproven spirituality.

If both of you could become Ardha Prasad-Sravneshwara, it would be the perfect balance.
I wish I was an artist, I would be able to paint of potrait of half Prasad Ji and half Sravna.

Sravna..you and Prasad ji are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
You reject science and Prasadji rejects unproven spirituality.

If both of you could become Ardha Prasad-Sravneshwara, it would be the perfect balance.
I wish I was an artist, I would be able to paint of potrait of half Prasad Ji and half Sravna.
Renuka,

I don't reject science in general but only that science that rejects spirituality. There is scope for both.

Opposite ends yes but balance can be struck. I don't mind sharing the limelight. Half means full as the other half is also me!.

Dear Prasad ji,

Sometimes we need to ask ourselves why we cant admit perfection or greatness in others?
To me, you are an accomplished person, and I like you, Would I say you are perfect? No.
I loved Swami Chinmayananda, I still belong to that group. Do I consider him to be perfect? No far from it.

I might consider some historical figures as respectable, knowledgeable, and far superior to myself, but I can not accept them as "perfect" as I am not convinced.

I like Jaggi Vasudev or Sadguru, but he is not perfect.

Getting 99% is not perfect.

Varna which later became caste signifies the extent of spiritual development. Sattva being the highest spiritual development. But why bother about when you summarily dismiss spirituality. I actually go with it because spiritual route is not the only route for acquiring knowledge.

Dear Prasad ji,
Since a child, I never had doubts about any story which I read about Siddhas,Yogis etc.
To a great extent you sound a lot like my dad and my maternal uncle.
They are into Brahman and Advaita but doesnt simply believe anything that is written and feels that many titles like siddha purusha or realized souls have no real evidence.

But for me, I feel " What if someone is really a Siddha Purusha? Do I want to commit the error of thinking they are not?...even if they are not Siddhas but the lives they lead or their transformation serves as examples for us humans to ponder about..giving us the glimmer of hope that even if we have commited grave sins like killing someone, we would face the karmic consequences but yet be able to transcend that by our shraddha and bhakti..so what do we lose by learning from anyone be it Siddha Purusha or not?

Highly mature Renuka

Varna which later became caste signifies the extent of spiritual development. Sattva being the highest spiritual development. But why bother about when you summarily dismiss spirituality. I actually go with it because spiritual route is not the only route for acquiring knowledge.
You talk in the dirtiest way about spirituality but want to be included in the highest spiritual category. Better learn from the actual people in that category to how to get there.

To me, you are an accomplished person, and I like you, Would I say you are perfect? No.
I loved Swami Chinmayananda, I still belong to that group. Do I consider him to be perfect? No far from it.

I might consider some historical figures as respectable, knowledgeable, and far superior to myself, but I can not accept them as "perfect" as I am not convinced.

I like Jaggi Vasudev or Sadguru, but he is not perfect.

Getting 99% is not perfect.
No one is 100%
Even Siddhas are 99.9999999%
100% is only God.
Poorna Avatars are 100%

No one is 100%
Even Siddhas are 99.9999999%
100% is only God.
Poorna Avatars are 100%
Poorna avatars or nirguna are only 100%. Even saguna brahman is differentiated from nirguna brahman. So humans cannot be perfect and when they become perfect they are one with God.

When I first saw this thread I felt sorry for the parents but as I see the back and forth banter which has eventually ensued and the more I think about the societal causes for this happening.. I am only getting angry/ irritated..

When I was trying to summarise my thoughts on this thread I came on this video..

We all know the guy in the video is a scoundrel but look at the words that he is saying.. and think about it.. it is but the truth..

For your viewing pleasure I am posting the video here... for the full and hopeful regurgitation of salt and pepper from your last meal..

I hate to be rude but cannot help myself here.. so here is the pungent truth right from nithyanandas mouth.. please take the time to listen to the video fully.

When I first saw this thread I felt sorry for the parents but as I see the back and forth banter which has eventually ensued and the more I think about the societal causes for this happening.. I am only getting angry/ irritated..

When I was trying to summarise my thoughts on this thread I came on this video..

We all know the guy in the video is a scoundrel but look at the words that he is saying.. and think about it.. it is but the truth..

For your viewing pleasure I am posting the video here... for the full and hopeful regurgitation of salt and pepper from your last meal..

I hate to be rude but cannot help myself here.. so here is the pungent truth right from nithyanandas mouth.. please take the time to listen to the video fully.

View attachment 20116
There is truth. In general it has to be a bottom up evolution or top down evolution. There are two ways. Learn to love yourself. You will love everything.

Or impose your love on living beings, humanity, country men, mother tongue, Varna and you will start loving yourself.

Eventually, if you start loving yourself, your thoughts are in harmony with nature and all is fine. Both easier said than done.

Harshita Pandey said:
Actually no! Our ancestors survived poverty and they still upholded janeu, it's the psychological slavery that killed the South Indian Brahmin community. Psychological western slavery of trying to be an Englishman killed the community n the most guilty of all are the priests who evaluate sahastra howsoever they want so that they can get their daughters married to some mallech instead of saving their daughters and teaching them the right thing. Periyar and Ambedkar successfully uprooted varna vyavastha from a lot of regions from India and the result is that cows are being slaughtered in those regions today. Ambedkar wrote in his book, "If you want to finish the brahmins then marry the Brahmin women. Dalits should marry Brahmin women and take them out of their varna. Then Brahmins the micro minority 3 percent population of india will have no women left to marry and breed. They will die a natural death and become extinct". We have become so money driven that we have stopped caring about the stability of the society. I m just scared for the last of Brahmins, the North Indian ones, they need to be protected at all costs. Even though most of their children are staunch when it comes to upholding janeu but even 10% of examples would be enough to pollute the minds of the next generation. Thankfully! Unlike our south indian counterparts, our youth still understands varna vyavastha and the young generation (including me) is aware of these adharmi things which will lead to our downfall.

I feel compelled to respond to this particular post as it appears there is a lot of truth in it.

I am part of this forum for about 10 years if not more. As a young person I have even posted my picture here, which some people commented positively on.

The last 10 years I have lived extensively, studied and worked in north India.

The reality is that everything @Harshita Pandey says is true - for North Indian Brahmins. I have to commend them for the extent to which they are willing to go to protect their legacy. All I will say is that the 10% of examples are already there in the North Indian society.

But as a whole, Brahmins across India are facing some very similar problems. My friend who is a PhD qualified person is a vegetarian Kulin Brahmin and since most Kulin Brahmin of Bengal are not vegetarian, he is struggling to get matches as the Bihari, UP Brahmins also view the Bengali Brahmin skeptically. I know Odia Brahmins facing similar issues, etc.

I myself have lived my entire life outside of South India and am a "Tamil" Brahmin for paper purpose only, as I learnt most of my Brahmin culture and heritage from my peers in North India. Thankfully the Brahmin culture is not too different state-wise and it is easily adaptable if you are willing to take the effort.

But I too face these kind of issues for marriage. The reason being that my being permanently North India based with not even a single family member in south India ensures that families based in the south (or Tamil Brahmins in general) do not find me a good match. Factor in that I have grown up in the northern states, heavily influenced by west Indian, north Indian culture and practice festivals of mostly north and Central India....the reality is that today the likes of me are often viewed as pariahs because we still have to deal with the tag of "Tamil" Brahmins when the "Tamil" in us is diluted to the point we can't connect with Tamil Nadu anymore. In this case inter community marriage is the only viable solution, and while some of us are still trying to somehow ensure we get SOME Brahmin from any part of India, many will lack that effort or patience and go with whatever comes their way and seems comfortable enough.

I strongly feel due to my experience that the Dravidian movement succeeded in splintering the community and that now the North Indian Tamil Brahmins should be segregated and made separate from the South Indian Tamil Brahmins to ensure better survival and compatibility. Because now the term "Tamil Brahmin" is so broad that it can mean anything from a Punjabi-speaking person to a Tamil-loving person, the only linker being that they are Brahmins and they might speak Tamil. It is difficult to go and seek brides and grooms with such variations and not be disappointed in an arranged search process.

Just see them defending it n comparing themselves to devtas n what not.
This community is scared and they don't even know that they r scared, they r happy that their girls r allowing them to do their kanyadan (literally bare minimum). I m scared Brahmins across South(Kerala, Andhra ones) will start following them n will vanish soon in the name of modernity n changing with time.
Only a Brahmin women when married to a Brahmin man gives birth to Shankaraachaarya, otherwise chandaals r roaming around everywhere.

A very large proportion of south Indian Brahmins are now settled in North India and they are of course getting rejected by the remainder still in south India due to convenience concerns and money-related issues (average salary still lower in North). This creates a problem for which the only solution is to begin inter-Brahmin marriages.

This is surprising.
When I was India long long ago as a student..I found the South Indian Brahmins more adherent to their culture.
The North Indian Brahmins I knew were even eating meat some ate beef too and drank alcohol and none of them knew any mantras.

But the South Indian Brahmins were vegetarians and knew mantras..went to temples regularly.
Sang Bhajans at college temples etc.
Now it is completely different.

80% of south Indian brahmin profiles in the age range of 25-35 list egg-eating as OK, some 40% try non-veg occasionally. I have never seen this open display in North Indian Brahmins.
Yes there are some entire sects of NIBs who are not well-versed in mantras (I know these, but don't want to offend anyone so will not mention), but they follow the rules strictly.

Harshita Pandey said:
Most tamil brahmins marry outside their community

A person like me has no choice. When you are born and raised outside the "home state", when your culture, food habits, festivals, religious inclinations and customs are influenced by some other state, when there is no one to go back to and no place to call home in Tamil Nadu or South India, when a person like me does not watch any Tamil media nor knows any south Indian songs or culture, the "Tamil" is a honorific and a memory of an ancestry long gone. That I speak the language fluently is the gift of the ancestors, but I have no link at all to Tamil Nadu. Almost none of the TBs appeal to me because of cultural, linguistic and social differences, and the NIBs seem to be in confusion as to whether the shuddha Hindi speaking "Tamil" Brahmin is a NIB or a SIB.

The situation is no different for these people, although it would be bizarre that many of them are actually born and brought up in proper TB homes where they still have family left in Tamil Nadu or nearby areas. For me, I do not have a cultural link because I have no family member nor any influence from south India in the current generation. I am still trying and hoping I get "SOME" Brahmin match who accepts me for being one without seeing me from the North India/South India linguistic lens. Time is however slipping out of hand.

renuka said:
North India and Pakistan only saw blood shed and conflict..so the " biomemory" of violence in that area is higher and it affects the minds of people there.

I am not sure what the statement has to do with @Harshita Pandey comments. North India is not just a conflict plan, vast parts of MP, Chhattisgarh for example were almost unpopulated during the period you speak of. Adi Sankara is respected all over North India just like in South India. Uttarakhand, Nepal, Himachal mostly only fought pettily between themselves and not with any invaders or existential conflicts.

The reality that stands to be forgotten in a few generations is that Pancha Dravida Brahmins are not limited to south India, Gujarat and Maharashtra - in fact their footprint and culture extends to Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan also, just like Pancha Gauda Brahmins made their way into Maharashtra and Goa.

sravana said:
Theory is intercaste marriage is not ok. Practice may deviate from it. I think the theory is good but as with many theories there are exceptions. Your case may be exceptional or unique.

The reality is that many Brahmin communities are in fact descended from "half-Brahmins" or intercaste marriages. I could list a few such Brahmin communities across India but it would offend people, so I will not. The thing is, there may be some disagreements on whether "half-Brahmin" can gain the status but in ancient times, Brahmin males migrated everywhere in religious and kingly services and it was not possible for the women to migrate with them. Hence, the king or the people of the land arranged suitable brides from the local community for these people.

Very few people are thus "100% pure" Brahmin and hence the debate on this should not be based on tradition-based bias or dilemma of religious sanctity but rather follow the historical examples.

In other words, it is perfectly acceptable for the love marriage to take place even if the boy is not a Brahmin. However, in this case the question of gothram and pravara should be settled with appropriate astrologer.

After few months of OP I have gone through all the replies and I can say there are many mixed views. Some including me have posted on the formalities of this kind of marriage for the text posted by the author and some give their valuable opinions based on the title. But even among them very few started realising that the author is on the mindset of the content inside and others have changed and started bashing.

So at this juncture I feel the other arguments may be on general debate whether to proceed inter caste marriages or not and so this thread may come to an end with authors posting the net result of her daughter marriage whether happened or not. Others may continue in different thread on their debate and opinion on Brahmin vs other caste marriages

We are in the USA. My eldest daughter, 28 years, has found a love with an interesting background. His grandmother is Iyer, father half-brahmin, and mother is non-religious American. Son was raised American, is ok adjusting to Brahmin customs and profession and otherwise a good match for my daughter. He is aware of Brahmin lifestyle and customs through extended family. We are not liking some of his family and their values. Boy eats nonveg but wants to adjust and not cook/bring nonveg in the house. Can/Is the Groom considered Brahmin because of his mixed ancestry and can we perform a Brahmin wedding? We are unsure how to approach this circumstance.
Om Namo Narayanaya

In today’s modern world or modern thinking, one cannot forget their tradition and its values. According to me if a family chooses a bride or bridegroom within our community and that becomes arranged marriage with acceptance of all in their family will be a traditional marriage of ours. If a son or daughter chooses their own love with or without acceptance by both the families becomes love marriage. I do not want to quote any divine stories in support of both the marriages because it is mythology and gods own maya, All I personally believe that if I am a born brahmin or sri vaishnavaite I respect my religion and traditional values and most importantly use presence of mind in choosing my life partner and continue my journey of a happy family.

After few months of OP I have gone through all the replies and I can say there are many mixed views. Some including me have posted on the formalities of this kind of marriage for the text posted by the author and some give their valuable opinions based on the title. But even among them very few started realising that the author is on the mindset of the content inside and others have changed and started bashing.

So at this juncture I feel the other arguments may be on general debate whether to proceed inter caste marriages or not and so this thread may come to an end with authors posting the net result of her daughter marriage whether happened or not. Others may continue in different thread on their debate and opinion on Brahmin vs other caste marriages
His daughter's marriage definitely happened, he had no other option but to accept it. He was trying to find someone who would comfort him bcz of what he is going to do as his antaraatma wasn't allowing it. As obvious, if u throw enough money the priests would somehow prove how Osama Bin Laden is a Brahmin n the best son (not just son in law) in the world. Actual conclusion is, TB community lost to Dravidians and won't survive beyond this century.

I am not sure what the statement has to do with @Harshita Pandey comments. North India is not just a conflict plan, vast parts of MP, Chhattisgarh for example were almost unpopulated during the period you speak of. Adi Sankara is respected all over North India just like in South India. Uttarakhand, Nepal, Himachal mostly only fought pettily between themselves and not with any invaders or existential conflicts.

The reality that stands to be forgotten in a few generations is that Pancha Dravida Brahmins are not limited to south India, Gujarat and Maharashtra - in fact their footprint and culture extends to Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan also, just like Pancha Gauda Brahmins made their way into Maharashtra and Goa.
The reality is that many Brahmin communities are in fact descended from "half-Brahmins" or intercaste marriages. I could list a few such Brahmin communities across India but it would offend people, so I will not. The thing is, there may be some disagreements on whether "half-Brahmin" can gain the status but in ancient times, Brahmin males migrated everywhere in religious and kingly services and it was not possible for the women to migrate with them. Hence, the king or the people of the land arranged suitable brides from the local community for these people.

Very few people are thus "100% pure" Brahmin and hence the debate on this should not be based on tradition-based bias or dilemma of religious sanctity but rather follow the historical examples.

In other words, it is perfectly acceptable for the love marriage to take place even if the boy is not a Brahmin. However, in this case the question of gothram and pravara should be settled with appropriate astrologer.
Nope. Intercaste can't be defended at any cost. N u know u r on the wrong path when u start talking about what percent of u has something to do with being Brahmin.
Also, our people r stupid(which is bound to happen in kaliyug), we were enough wherever we went specially in this digital era to form communities easily but our parent's generation was more focused on money making process (which is not wrong considering u aren't crushing ur dharma for that) that they completely forgot about what next.N yes! Dravidian movement won n Tamil Brahmins lost. Anyway! Try ur best to find someone who's just Brahmin regardless of community or region, don't kill ur lineage just bcz a priest online is ok with his daughter marrying a mallech. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back