• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rama - Positive and Negative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear srikrish85 = Can you say anyof our gods tobe Brahmin? As brahmin our role was only to praise the ruler. and pray on behalf of him to God. We were onlydoing Pujas. When the work quantum of Vysya and Sudhra could be quantified and paid our work was not so. Kshatriya~s work could also be measured and paid. BRAHMIN~S WORK COULDNOT BE MEASURED. HENCE THE KING ORDERED THAT IN ANY POOJA BRAHMIN SHOULD BE FED FIRST. IN ANY FUNCTION BRAHMIN SHOULD BE GIVEN DONATION (IN CASH OR KIND). THIS WAS TO PROTECT BRAHMIN~S FAMILY. IN ORDER TO FACILITATE HIM TO CONTINUE WITH POOJA AND READING FOR THE WELLBEING OF THE KING AND SOCIETY.
SO KILLING ANYBODY DIRECT IS OUT OF QUESTION FOR BRAHMIN. BUT HE WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN BRINGING UP AND DOWN ANY KINGDOM (FOR EXAMPLE - CHANAKYA)

Can you say anyof our gods tobe Brahmin
Where Mr. Subbuji... where did i take up the brahmin issue? What's the pt in directing this question to me? I just don't know why u aske me this question? Can u plz tell me why?

Greetings,

I believe Rama is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, who gradually exhibits more human character than a divine character.

Vali Vadam is a dent in Rama's Character. The reasons given are only a சப்பைக்கட்டு.

Greetings,

Agaligai Saabam and saaba vimochanam,

After reading the episode and the blog தமிழ் சினிமாவில் ப்ராமணர்கள், I get a feeling that this trend is started from the days of Ramayana itself.

Greetings,

Agaligai Saabam and saaba vimochanam,

After reading the episode and the blog தமிழ் சினிமாவில் ப்ராமணர்கள், I get a feeling that this trend is started from the days of Ramayana itself.
Kindly give the url for the blog.

Greetings,

Two slokas which are said to be contradicting to one another (can be seen all over the internet!)

kusha ciira ajina dharam phala muula ashanam ca maam |
viddhi praNihitam dharme taapasam vana gocaram || 2-50-44

“Know me as under a vow to be an ascetic, wearing the robes of bark and deerskin and by piety, I am determined to live in the forest by eating roots and fruits only.”

tau tatra hatvaa caturaH mahaa mR^igaan |
varaaham R^ishyam pR^iSatam mahaa rurum |
aadaaya medhyam tvaritam bubhukSitau|
vaasaaya kaale yayatur vanaH patim || 2-52-102

Having hunted there four deer, namely Varaaha, Rishya, Prisata; and Mahaaruru (the four principal species of deer) and taking quickly the portions that were pure, being hungry as they were, Rama and Lakshmana reached a tree to take rest in the evening.

It appears Rama has taken a vow not to eat meat in the first sloka and in the next they actually broke the vow and eat. I do not know if the translations are correct. Learned member can shed some light on this.

Regards

Namaskaram

Dear Shri Samarapungavan,

Our perspectives, as you will have noticed by now, are different. You implicitly believe that the Ramayana book gives an authentic account of the life of Rama, correct to the minutest detail, and relate the true life of a divine avatara of Vishnu. All that is stated are/were hundred percent true and there is no error, redaction, interpolation, etc. I, on the other hand, while not finding fault with the faith people have in the godhead of Rama, or any other deity for that matter, try to enquire into the history of our religious lore. Hence we are bound to have differences of opinion. My attempt is to give the “other side of the coin” so that when we talk about our glorious past, the greatness of Hinduism, etc., people also become aware of this other side. Otherwise what we see is a pitiable blind acceptance of whatever has been dished out for centuries in order to keep the people blissfully ignorant.

Samarapungavan:

I fully appreciate your standpoint. I have no problem with even rationalists and atheists as long as they are genuine. I am fully aware that there are prakshipta sargas(interpolations) in the Ramayana. Even the Mahabharata in its current form of 100,000 slokas( the original Jaya had only 10000 verses) has about 1000 prakshipta slokas. I know of learned scholars who can pick the prakshipta slokas. (These are scholars who have perfomed 100 parayanams of the Ramayana and have a deep understanding of the meanings of the Ramayana and verbatim quote veda vakyas that are directly echoed in the Ramayana sloka.)
Added to this there are various recensions of the Ramayana as well. I always resort to various Acharya’s commentaries and also directly hear from them and rely on widely commented slokas for instance :- Govindarajeeyam for the Ramayana. There are still people who firmly believe that the Ramayana is a true story and Rama is divine incarnate. There are thousands of slokas which reverberate/echo the divine sentiments in the Ramayana itself. One need not be a Rama Bhaktha to understand this.Having said this I welcome an open debate which brings out the facts. It will help clear all our mental cobwebs and shed a true perspective.
I have read Rt. Hon. V.S. Srinivasa Sastri's 'Lectures on the Ramayana' and in that he says he gave a series of lectures in Madars (probably Mylapore) in the 1930's and when he said Vali vadham could not be justified, the audience got enraged and threw the chairs at him. (Since I read the book long ago, the details may be different, but the central point is that Sastri depicted Rama as a plain human being, not divine at all.)

Samarapungavan:

I have read Sastri's lectures. It's a wonderful book. Still I amn't sure of people who say "Vali Vadham could n't be justified". is it the killing of Vali itself or the manner of killing? If the killing of Vali is wrong then there is no Ramayana, since if Vali can forcefully take over Ruma(Sugriva Pathni), then Ravana abducting Sita also can be justified.I re-read the Vali vada sarga and found one more Dharma quoted by Rama:- "Jyesta braatha pitrus samaha" to Vali and Ruma being a dughter-in-law to him is to be treated like a daughter. I don't understand how such an act of Vali can deserve a lesser punishment. Finally I also found that Vali accepts his mistake. Rama also says that if you don't agree with this, I will give you back life(This also shows that Rama is divine). Vali agrees with his mistake finally. One can still debate the manner of killing.

“The Satapatha Brahmana and Brhadaranyaka Upanishad mention King Janaka several times. In these ancient religious writings, he is a sage and a philosopher. He is in no way related to Sita. This Janaka and the other Janaka, father of Sita, are separated by eighteen generations.”
_Legend of Ram: antiquity to janmabhumi debate, Sanujit Ghose

Samarapungavan:

I quote below the lineage of Janaka as told to Dasaratha by Janaka himself from Srimad Ramayana itself. One need not look elsewhere. This occurs before sita kalyanam in Balakanda 71st sarga.

evam bruvaaNam janakaH pratyuvaaca kR^itaa.njaliH |
shrotum ar.hhasi bhadram te kulam naH parikiirtitam || 1-71-1
pradaane hi muni shreSTha kulam niravasheSataH |
vaktavyam kula jaatena tan nibodha mahaamune || 1-71-2
raajaa abhuut triSu lokeSu vishrutaH svena karmaNaa |
nimiH parama dharmaatmaa sarva sattvavataam varaH || 1-71-3
tasya putro mithiH naama janako mithi putrakaH |
prathamo janako naama janakaat api udaavasuH || 1-71-4
udaavasoH tu dharmaatmaa jaato vai nandivardhanaH |
nandivardhana putraH tu suketuH naama naamataH || 1-71-5
suketoH api dharmaatmaa devaraato mahaabalaH |
devaraatasya raajarSeH bR^ihadratha iti smR^iutaH || 1-71-6
bR^ihadrathasya shuuro abhuut mahaaviiraH prataapavaan |
mahaaviirasya dhR^itimaan sudhR^itiH satya vikramaH || 1-71-7
sudhR^iteH api dharmaatmaa dhR^iSTaketuH su dhaarmikaH |
dhR^iSTaketoH ca raajarSeH haryashva iti vishrutaH || 1-71-8
haryashvasya maruH putro maroH putraH pratiindhakaH |
pratiindhakasya dharmaatmaa raajaa kiirtirathaH sutaH || 1-71-9
putraH kiirtirathasya api devamiiDha iti smR^itaH |
devamiiDhasya vibudho vibudhasya mahiidhrakaH || 1-71-10
mahiidhraka suto raajaa kiirtiraato mahaabalaH |
kiirti raatasya raajaR^iSeH mahaaromaa vyajaayata || 1-71-11
mahaaromNaH tu dharmaatmaa svarNaromaa vyajaayata |
svarNaromNaH tu raajarSeH hrasvaromaa vyajaayata || 1-71-12
tasya putra dvayam jaj~ne dharmaj~nasya mahaatmanaH |
jyeSTho aham anujo bhraataa mama viiraH kushadhvaja || 1-71-13
maam tu jyeSTham pitaa raajye so abhiSicya naraadhipa |
kushadhvajam samaaveshya bhaaram mayi vanam gataH || 1-71-14
vR^iddhe pitari svar yaate dharmeNa dhuram aavaham |
bhraataram deva sa.nkaasham snehaat pashyan kushadhvajam || 1-71-15
kasyacit tu atha kaalasya saa.mkaashyaat agamat puraat |
sudhanvaa viiryavaan raajaa mithilaam avarodhakaH || 1-71-16
sa ca me preSayaamaasa shaivam dhanuH anuttamam |
siitaa kanyaa ca padmaakSii mahyam vai diiyataam iti || 1-71-17
tasya apradaanaat brahmarSe yuddham aasiit mayaa saha |
sa hato abhimukho raajaa sudhanvaa tu mayaa raNe || 1-71-18
nihatya tam munishreSTha sudhanvaanam naraadhipam |
saa.mkaashye bhraataram shuuram abhyaSi.ncam kushadhvajam || 1-71-19
kaniiyaan eSa me bhraataa aham jyeSTho mahaamune |
dadaami parama priito vadhvau te munipu.ngava || 1-71-20
siitaam raamaaya bhadram te uurmilaam lakSmaNaaya vai |

"Once there was an emperor Nimi, who was renowned in the triad of worlds by his own accomplishments, and who was uniquely seraphic-souled and a best one among all stalwart emperors... And his son was named as Mithi, and Janaka was Mithi's son... the first one to be designated as Janaka... and even from that Janaka it is Udaavasu who took birth... From Udaavasu it is noble souled Nandivardhana took birth, and Nandivardhana's son is named as Suketu, by his name... From Suketu the highly powerful and virtue-souled Devaraata is born, and from that kingly sage Devaraata, it is Brihadratha who took birth, thus we have heard...
"From Brihadratha it is the highly braving, courageous and valiant Mahaaviira has come, and the bold and truth-valiant Sudhriti from Mahaaviira... Form Sudhriti, the right-minded and highly generous Dhristaketu took birth, and from the kingly sage Dhristaketu it is highly renowned Haryashva is the son... Haryashva's son is Maru, and Maru's, son is Pratiindhaka, and the son of Pratiindhaka's is noble-souled king Kiirtiratha... The son of Kiirtiratha is remembered as Devamiidha, and the son of Devamiidha is Vibudha, and Vibudha's son is Mahiidraka... Mahiidraka's son is the great mighty king Kiirtiraata, and the son born to sagely king Kiirtiraata is Mahaaroma... From Mahaaroma it is the virtue-souled Swarnaroma, and from kingly sage Swarnaroma it is Hrasvaroma...
"Two sons are born to that knower of virtue and noble souled Hrasvaroma, I am the elder, and my younger brother is this brave Kushadhvaja... He that king and father of ours, Hrasvaroma, anointing me in kingdom as I am the elder, and vesting the duty of looking after Kushadhvaja in me, he departed to forests...
"On the departure of our aged father to heaven, I am looking after this godlike Kushadhvaja with brotherliness and lugging around the burden of this kingship... Then after sometime, a valorous king named Sudhanva came beleaguering Mithila, from his city Saamkaasha... 'The unexcelled bow of Shiva shall be given to me, along with the lotus-eyed virgin, Seetha...' thus he started to urge me...
"Oh, Brahma sage Vashishta, for the reason of my non-bestowal of bow or bride he warred with me, and when he affronted me in that war I have put that Sudhanva to the sword... Oh, best sage , on eliminating king Sudhanva, I have anointed my valiant brother Kushadhvaja in the kingdom of Saamkaasha... Oh, best saint Vashishta, this is that younger brother of mine, and I am the elder. Oh, eminent-saint, I am bestowing those brides with a highly gladdened heart... Seetha for Rama, and Urmila for Lakshmana, let there be felicity for all...
"My daughter Seetha is the bounty for bravery and in simile she is the daughter of the divine Providence, and thus the second one Urmila too... oh, eminent-saint, with a highly gladdened heart I reiterate thrice while I bestow those brides, there is no doubt about it...

Interpolations to Ramayana are certain. Some of those must have been even post-Buddha since there is a specific mention of Buddhists being punished as thieves in Ayodhya Kanda. Bharata persuades Rama to come back to Ayodhya. A long conversation between the two is told. Javali, a learned man tries to argue and convince Rama that he need not give weightage to do ‘pitruvaakya paripaalanam’.

Samarapungavan:

The buddha that is mentioned in the itihasas and Vishnu Purana is not Gautama Buddha according scholars opinion. There is a definite difference between the two. It's Jabali maharishi who along Vasishta accompanies Bharata to chitrkoota to meet Rama.(I amn't sure if "javali" is a typo)
Jabali goads Rama to forget all this "pitru vakya paripalanam" and also says "what's the use of doing all this tarpanam etc" when Rama offers pinda at chitrakoota to the departed Dasaratha, when he hears the news from bharata. One finds a genuine rationalistic/atheistic and anti vedic argument in Jabali. Rama condemns him inspite of him being a Rishi for resorting to such verbiage. Finally Vasishta intervenes and says that Jabali genuinely wanted Rama to return to Ayodhya as he couldn't tolerate him living in the forest and out of genuine compassion. Jabali is also present in the Rama Pattabhisheka.

ramam rathnamaye peetae saseetham sanyevesayath
Vasishto vamadevascha Jabali Ratha Kasyapaha. katyayanacha suyagyacha Gautamo Vijaysthatha

Suyagynya is Vasishta's putra.

Rama is not convinced, and quoting Vedas, praises the virtues of sacrifice, charity and penance, founded upon truth. In his reply Rama says among other things, “As a Buddhist is punishable like a thief….”.

As a result of the linguistic and philological studies, scholars opine that both Bala Kanda and Uttara Kanda are most probably later interpolations, in order to endow the hero of the “Adi kAvya” with a divine hue. From Ayodhyakanda to Yuddhakanda, it is no where mentioned that he was God or had attributes of the divine (Vishnu amsa). He is shown as an ordinary person with human attributes who cries when his wife is taken away and at no time utters a soothing word to Lakshmana who also lives alone, without any complaint. This shows how much of a self-centred character Rama was, and how insensitive he was to the “viraha” of his brother Lakshmana.

Samarapungavan:

I have already quoted from Yuddha kanda - pattabhisheka sarga on the divinity aspect. i quote below a few more from sundara kanda and Yuddha kanda again

The following occurs in sundara kanda in the trijata's swapna sarga(27th sarga). Trijata is the daugher of Vibhishana.

evaM svapne mayaa dR^iSTo raamo viSNuparaakramaH |
lakSmaNena saha bhraatraa siitayaa saha raaghavaH || 5-27-20

The following verses are from Yuddha Kanda sarga 111. Mandodhari laments on Ravana being killed
by Rama.

vyaktameSha mahaayogii paramaatmaa sanaatanaH |
anaadimadhyanidhano mahataH paramo mahaan || 6-111-14
tamasaH paramo dhaataa shaN^khachakragadaadharaH |
shriivatsavakShaa nityashriirajayyaH shaashvato dhruvaH || 6-111-15
maanuShaM ruupamaasthaaya viShNuH satyaparaakramaH |
sarvaiH parivR^ito devairvaanaratvamupaagataiH || 6-111-16
sarvalokeshvaraH shriimaan lokaanaaM hitakaamyayaa |
saraakShasa pariivaaram hatavaaMstvaaM mahaadyutiH || 6-111-17

"This Rama is certainly a great ascetic, an eternal person, having no beginning middle or end, greater than distinguished universal spirit like Brahma, the one beyond ignorance, the nourisher, wielding a conch, a disc and a mace, wearing the 'Srivatsa' mark on his chest, of lasting beauty, incapable of being conquered, a perpetual one, being the constant soul of the universe, truly mighty, the lord of all the worlds, the prosperous one having a great splendour and Vishnu, the lord of maintenance of the world with a wish to benefit the worlds, assuming a human form surrounded by all the gods in the form of monkeys, Rama killed you, surrounded by demons.

Even in Yuddha Kanda the last sloka is sarga-116, sloka-90, which reads as under:
[FONT=&quot]सर्वे लक्षण सम्पन्नाः सर्वे धर्म परायणाः[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]दशवर्ष सहस्राणि रामो राज्यम् अकारयत् ॥६-११६-९०[/FONT]

(sarvE lakshaNa sampannAH sarvE dharma parAyaNAH
daSavaRsha sahasRANi rAmO rAjyam akArayat)

(Maharishi University Collection)

There may be addition of Phala Sruti in the version you refer to or it may contain more sargas. The version I have, is supposed to be authentic. I would like to know the particulars of the version, publisher, etc., for my information.

Samarapungavan:

The one I have quoted is from Gita press Gorakhpur edition

Regards,

SriRamajayam

Samarapungavan:

The buddha that is mentioned in the itihasas and Vishnu Purana is not Gautama Buddha according scholars opinion. There is a definite difference between the two. It's Jabali maharishi who along Vasishta accompanies Bharata to chitrkoota to meet Rama.(I amn't sure if "javali" is a typo)
Jabali is correct. It was a typo. But you have still not clarified who were those buddhists who were treated as thieves and punished accordingly in Rama's time, an earlier yuga according to the mythology.

Samarapungavan:

I quote below the lineage of Janaka as told to Dasaratha by Janaka himself from Srimad Ramayana itself. One need not look elsewhere. This occurs before sita kalyanam in Balakanda 71st sarga.
You give the slokas and translations which definitely make your post appear formidable! The lineage as given in the slokas may be summarised as under, I think:-
Nimi>Mithi>Janaka->Udaavasu>Nandivardhana>Suketu>Devaraata>Brihadratha>Mahaaviira>
Sudhriti>Dhristaketu>Haryashva>Maru>Pratiindhaka>Kiirtiratha>Devamiidha>Vidhubha>Mahiidraka>
Kiirtiraata>mahaaroma>Swarnaroma>Hrasvaroma>Janaka-II

After giving all these details you have not addressed my observation that the Janaka of Brhadaaranyakopanishad and Valmiki Ramayana are not one and the same nor proved that they are the same person with evidence. For example(I am not saying so), could it not have been Janaka-I, son of Mithi?

Samarapungavan:

The one I have quoted is from Gita press Gorakhpur edition.
I will get a copy read and then get back with my comments.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Two slokas which are said to be contradicting to one another (can be seen all over the internet!)

“Know me as under a vow to be an ascetic, wearing the robes of bark and deerskin and by piety, I am determined to live in the forest by eating roots and fruits only.”

tau tatra hatvaa caturaH mahaa mR^igaan |
varaaham R^ishyam pR^iSatam mahaa rurum |
aadaaya medhyam tvaritam bubhukSitau|
vaasaaya kaale yayatur vanaH patim || 2-52-102

Having hunted there four deer, namely Varaaha, Rishya, Prisata; and Mahaaruru (the four principal species of deer) and taking quickly the portions that were pure, being hungry as they were, Rama and Lakshmana reached a tree to take rest in the evening.

It appears Rama has taken a vow not to eat meat in the first sloka and in the next they actually broke the vow and eat. I do not know if the translations are correct. Learned member can shed some light on this.

Regards
Dear Janam,

It is there in Valmiki Ramayana. In this context pl. see my posts:

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/4695-rama-positive-negative-3.html#post52887

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/4695-rama-positive-negative-2.html#post52686

As you might have seen from the comments from various members in this thread, there are people - may be the majority - who tend to see Ramayana as a holy irrefutable scripture, Rama as a true "avataaram" of Vishnu, all actions of Rama justified one way or another by convoluted arguments and interpretations, and even Vali vadham justified because Vaali himself accepts his mistake. On the other side there are a few like me (I suppose) who question and accept only if the answers are satisfactory to our mind and intellect (Incidentally one member has cited this as Gandhi's principle also, in another thread in this forum). To me it appears that the ordinary human hero of a poem (Adi kaavya, as it is called) has been transformed into a divinity by suitable interpolations and changes. Vaali, Raavana or any one else for that matter could be made to say such words if someone wrote the script, just as the hero of a modern movie could be killed in the end or brought back to life, acoording to requirements, by the script writer. I tend to believe that people have been taken for a ride for centuries on such newer and newer gods, for the priesthood for meeting its own exigencies, in this case, the need for placating the Kshatriyas who perhaps fell out with the Brahmanas in those days.

Last edited:
Greetings Sri Sangom,

I came across the website you have sited where the hindu scriptures are questioned. In My previous post, I mentioned one of those and requested if any learned member can comment back on that since I do not know Sanskrit.

But I read in RajaJi's book where he mentioned that " during vanavasam, they can only eat the fruits and vegetables and clean meat prepared by themselves only and not cooked by somebody..."

Kshatriyas are not vegetarians. I do know the complete meaning of the sanskrit verse

I tend to believe that people have been taken for a ride for centuries on such newer and newer gods, for the priesthood for meeting its own exigencies, in this case, the need for placating the Kshatriyas who perhaps fell out with the Brahmanas in those days.

I do not always believe this, as this current generations and previous generations are no saints. As we see now, generations after generations, the good behavior and good thoughts are diminishing only. If the ancient people are bad, today's people are the worst and close to animals. Atleast the ancient people respected the nature, but today's human foolishly and recklessly are abusing and destroying the nature, leaving a very bad world for the gen next.

I do not know interpolations are done in those days, but these days I am witnessing people giving false mark sheet to get higher education entry upon the parent's advise.

In that respect I dont see any harm in godifying Raman and Ramayana atleast to teach the current parents, once there was தர்மம் நியாயம்..

Regards

Jabali is correct. It was a typo. But you have still not clarified who were those buddhists who were treated as thieves and punished accordingly in Rama's time, an earlier yuga according to the mythology.

Samarapungavan:

I don't know. I will have to read the sloka and get back.

You give the slokas and translations which definitely make your post appear formidable! The lineage as given in the slokas may be summarised as under, I think:-
Nimi>Mithi>Janaka->Udaavasu>Nandivardhana>Suketu>Devaraata>Brihadratha>Mahaaviira>
Sudhriti>Dhristaketu>Haryashva>Maru>Pratiindhaka>Kiirtiratha>Devamiidha>Vidhubha>Mahiidraka>
Kiirtiraata>mahaaroma>Swarnaroma>Hrasvaroma>Janaka-II

After giving all these details you have not addressed my observation that the Janaka of Brhadaaranyakopanishad and Valmiki Ramayana are not one and the same nor proved that they are the same person with evidence. For example(I am not saying so), could it not have been Janaka-I, son of Mithi?

Samarapungavan:
I heard last week from Sri Rangaji's (Sri Anna Krishnapremi's son) during his Ramayana upanyasa that "Janaka" mentioned in the vedas refers to dynasty of Raja Rishis. Only scholars who know both the Vedas and Ramayana thoroughly can give an opinion on this. I am not one. I was just doing my regular Parayanam of Sri Ramayanam and I hit upon this sarga and thought to share this with you.

I will get a copy read and then get back with my comments.

Samarapungavan:

On the buddist being treated like thieves I don't know. I will have to read the sloka and get back.

I heard last week from Sri Rangaji's (Sri Anna Krishnapremi's son) during his Ramayana upanyasa that "Janaka" mentioned in the vedas refers to dynasty of Raja Rishis. Only scholars who know both the Vedas and Ramayana thoroughly can give an opinion on this. I am not one. I was just doing my regular Parayanam of Sri Ramayanam and I hit upon this sarga and thought to share this with you.

Regards,

Dear Shri Sangom,

You seem to be emotional on Vali Vadham and also judgemental. You have concluded that Vali Vadham is a crime. It has to be decided based on law of the land. The argument is whether Rama followed the law of the land or not.

Let's approach this with facts that we agree on first and what the law of the land is at that point in time. Let's take Rama as the king of Ayodya banished to the forest and see if what he did is right. We will have to answer the following questions if we were to ascertain what's right/wrong.

1. What is the punishment to be meted to Vali for the trangressions made according to law
2. Is Rama as king of Ikshvaku empowered according to law to take action on Vali

Here I am assuming that we agree that in those days it was kings who sat and gave judgements according to dharmasastras.
So it would be good to read the full text for all of us and get conversant with Dharmasatras before making judgements.

Rgds

I came across the website you have sited where the hindu scriptures are questioned. In My previous post, I mentioned one of those and requested if any learned member can comment back on that since I do not know Sanskrit.

But I read in RajaJi's book where he mentioned that " during vanavasam, they can only eat the fruits and vegetables and clean meat prepared by themselves only and not cooked by somebody..."

Kshatriyas are not vegetarians. I do know the complete meaning of the sanskrit verse
Dear Shri Janam,

I am sorry, I cannot understand exactly what you want to convey. Hence my comments may not be what you expect. The verse cited above by you, the meaning of which you say you know (I do know the complete meaning of the sanskrit verse), talks about eating (aSanam) fruits (phala) and roots (moola) only, and eating meat does not figure there at all, whereas Rama and co., started eating meat the very next day after crossing Sarayu. The point whether Kshatriyas were permitted to eat meat, only meat prepared by them during "vanavaasa", etc., are points not relevant to the present issue, which is, why Rama who is the emdodiment of truth and never swerving from his word (oka mATa, as Thyagaraja sings) did not say to Kausalya that he would eat meat also? It looks like he wanted to emphasize the pathos to his mother. Whatever that may be, Rama should have stuck to his words and eaten only fruits and roots once having spoken thus to his mother.

AFAIK our dharmasastras have not considered "vanavaasa" in their rules. Vaanaprastha, which seems to be a modified form of "vanaprastha" - one who has set out to the forest - is one of the four stages of life prescribed but after vaanaprastha one is not supposed to reenter worldly life, as Rama did. So the rules, if any, prescribed for Vaanaprastha will not apply here. Whether Rajaji cites any authority in support of his statement, " during vanavasam, they can only eat the fruits and vegetables and clean meat prepared by themselves only and not cooked by somebody...", I do not know. If he does not, how can we take his words for granted? Was he an authority on Dharmasastras?

I do not always believe this, as this current generations and previous generations are no saints.
Your idea is, once again, not clear. What is the likely linkage between "this current generations and previous generations are no saints" and " I do not always believe this"? To me it looks as if you discount all that is said by the current and previous "generations"; so from which generation or point of time would you repose your faith? Again, if you "do not always believe this", does it mean that you believe at times? If so why only occasionally, and not always?

As we see now, generations after generations, the good behavior and good thoughts are diminishing only. If the ancient people are bad, today's people are the worst and close to animals.
These are very general statements and you have not adduced any evidence to support your claims. Even if allowing (but not accepting) your statement for the sake of discussion, why is generation after generation becoming worse? If I say that it is due to people having been taken for a ride for centuries on newer and newer gods, who have been depicted as increasingly compromising dharma for attaining certain objective (end justifies the means, as Krishna does on innumerable occasions) as per the design of the priesthood for meeting its own exigencies, will that not be a valid argument?

Atleast the ancient people respected the nature, but today's human foolishly and recklessly are abusing and destroying the nature, leaving a very bad world for the gen next.
I concede that nature was less exploited in ancient times, but exploited it was. But just like an ant's bite on the rhinoceros' skin, no visible damage could be seen for a long long time. Burning விறகு for cooking, burning parts of forests for charcoal (கரியடுப்புக்கு), using large quantities of timber for dwellings (especially of the well-to-do), killing animals for sacrifice as well as routine food, polluting rivers by using the river for cleaning after the toilet, throwing dead bodies in the Ganges as per religious beliefs sanctified by the priesthood right from the days of the Puranas, etc., etc., have been there for centuries if not more. So who respected nature and whom to start believing? As western science, especially the medical science progressed, the longevity of humans increased tremendously, there were more mouths to be fed and more people wanted all the comforts possible and so the exploitation of nature also increased, that is all.

I do not know interpolations are done in those days, but these days I am witnessing people giving false mark sheet to get higher education entry upon the parent's advise.

In that respect I dont see any harm in godifying Raman and Ramayana atleast to teach the current parents, once there was தர்மம் நியாயம்..
A false mark sheet, I believe will be an entirely cooked up one, not an interpolated thing, because such interpolations are easily detected now. If in the same way some body were to make a false Ramayana with the main outline intact (Dasaratha, 4 sons, marriage, vanavaasa, abduction, killing of Ravana and return to ayodhya for crowning) without any superhuman aspects of Rama, I would prefer such a "false" Ramayana!

You are saying that even if Ramayana is to teach the parents of today that there once existed தர்மம் நியாயம், "godifying" Rama is OK. But, first, why is it necessary to "godify"? The same result can be achieved by treating it as a moral poem and just that, very much like Aesop's fables and Panchatantra which will have better or at least equal appeal to the child's mind (I don't think by teaching today's parents any useful result will be achieved since their parents also had access to Ramayana and should have taught their children to lead a life like Rama) than the Ramayana without its halo.

Anyway by your own admission Ramayana has been ineffective in stemming the moral degradation of people over generations.

Dear Shri Sangom,

You seem to be emotional on Vali Vadham and also judgemental. You have concluded that Vali Vadham is a crime. It has to be decided based on law of the land. The argument is whether Rama followed the law of the land or not.
Dear Shri Samarapungavan,

I am not at all emotional about Vali vadha; I only mentioned the old incident narrated by Shri Sastri in which the audience became emotional. Probably you have transposed it on me! I did not say it was a crime. As regards being judgmental, yes, I am not convinced about the justifications of Rama's action in killing Vali from hiding.

Let's approach this with facts that we agree on first and what the law of the land is at that point in time. Let's take Rama as the king of Ayodya banished to the forest and see if what he did is right. We will have to answer the following questions if we were to ascertain what's right/wrong.

1. What is the punishment to be meted to Vali for the trangressions made according to law
2. Is Rama as king of Ikshvaku empowered according to law to take action on Vali

Here I am assuming that we agree that in those days it was kings who sat and gave judgements according to dharmasastras.
So it would be good to read the full text for all of us and get conversant with Dharmasatras before making judgements.
Please let us not rush headlong. Which king sitting where and punishment for whom? Will you agree if Vali had killed Rama, and justified his action as retribution for his (Rama's) siding with Sugriva and hence, becoming Vali's enemy, as the king sitting (or standing!) and meting out punishment for working against the king (Vali himself)?

Hence, before we do what you propose, certain more fundamental points essential to the two a priori conclusions you seem to have made, have to be considered and agreed upon. I enumerate these below:

1. Do you agree that Rama's pattabhishekam (enthronement as king) was decided upon / announced by Dasaratha when Kaikeyi asked for fulfilment of the boons given to her in the past?

2. Was Rama to be enthroned as king of Ayodhya / Kosala?

3. What was the geographical extent of Kosala / Ayodhya? Did it cover Kishkindha?

4. Where, according to you, was Kishkindha situated? Was the Rishyamuka mounatin a part of Kishkindha? Do you agree that the present day Vijayanagara, more particularly the place Anegundi, near Hampi in koppal district, North Karnataka, is indicative of Kishkindha?

5. Who was the king of Ayodhya at the time of Vali vadha - Rama or Bharata? If you say Rama, pl. explain the basis? If he was king, what was the need for a second Pattabhishekam after his return from Lanka? Without being crowned, can any one be an acceptable king to the people, unless he is a conqueror?

6. In what way was Rama empowered to dispense the "law of the land" in Kishkindha? Which law did he dispense - Ayodhya's or Kishkindha's? In both cases what authority did Rama have to do so?

7. Was Vali a "vaanara"?

8. Was Vali the king of Kishkindha?

9. Were "vaanaras" of Kishkindha kingdom governed by the laws of Ayodhya? Were "vaanaras" governed by the Hindu Dharmasastras?

10. Was Rama crowned as king of Kishkindha in order that he may assume the role of law dispenser (whether it was the law of the Kishkindha land or Ayodhya land)?

11. Did not Rama make a pact with Sugriva to the effect that if Rama killed Vali and enthroned Sugriva as king of Kishkindha, Sugriva would in return help Rama in his search for Sita? If yes, was not the role of Rama in killing Vali, merely that of a mercenary (for kind, not cash) and not that of a conquering Kshatriya?

12. Since Vali could not have ever been killed by Rama in a dharma yuddha (straight, face-to-face fight), was not his action that of a mere mercenary, and nothing more? What right had he (Rama) to justify his action as dharmic, except that it was expedient for him to help Sugriva, a weakling compared to Rama, whereas Vali, who was invincible except in an ஒளிப்போர், might not have helped Rama?

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom,

There is a mistake in my posting.

It should be actually

Kshatriyas are not vegetarians. I do NOT know the complete meaning of the sanskrit verse

I do not know sanskrit which I have mentioned in my previous post.

Sorry for the mistake.

Regards

1. Do you agree that Rama's pattabhishekam (enthronement as king) was decided upon / announced by Dasaratha when Kaikeyi asked for fulfilment of the boons given to her in the past?

2. Was Rama to be enthroned as king of Ayodhya / Kosala?

Dear Shri sangom,

I heard somewhere that Dasaratha made a promise to Kaikeyi's father, as a condition for marrying Kaikeyi who was half his age, that a son through Kaikeyi will follow him to the throne, Is this mentioned in Valmiki Ramayana?

If this so, the very act of Dasaratha sending Bharatha away and then announcing a quick and hurried Pattabhishekam for Rama, seems quite suspicious.

Even if we permit, for the sake of discussion, the argument that Rama was only meting out justice according to law, what Dharmashashthra law allows sniper type meting out of justice?

Cheers!

Dear Sri Sangom,

There is a mistake in my posting.

It should be actually

I do not know sanskrit which I have mentioned in my previous post.

Sorry for the mistake.

Regards
O.K. now it is clear. The said Sloka means:

Know (viddhi) me (maam) [as one] [whose] food (aSanam) [will be] phala (fruits), moola (roots, tubers), [who will wear] sacred grass (kuSa), bark strip (cheera), hide of goat, antelope (ajinam), and [following] as laid down by dharma (dhaRme pRaNihitam) [living in] the forest limits (vana gOcharam) like ascetic (taapasa).

That is know me that I shall live within the forest limits, clad in grass, bark or hide, eating fruits and roots,
following the dictates of Dharma, as ascetic.

Here Rama not only does not mention meat-eating but adds that he will live the life of an ascetic, and since ascetics are not allowed to eat meat, Rama's eating meat is against his own words and against Taapasa dharma, inspite of the so-called justification by CR. It is at best only சப்பைக்கட்டு. Hence Rama broke dharma on the very first evening after entering the jungle!

Dear Shri sangom,

I heard somewhere that Dasaratha made a promise to Kaikeyi's father, as a condition for marrying Kaikeyi who was half his age, that a son through Kaikeyi will follow him to the throne, Is this mentioned in Valmiki Ramayana?

If this so, the very act of Dasaratha sending Bharatha away and then announcing a quick and hurried Pattabhishekam for Rama, seems quite suspicious.

Even if we permit, for the sake of discussion, the argument that Rama was only meting out justice according to law, what Dharmashashthra law allows sniper type meting out of justice?

Cheers!
Dear Nara,

You are correct. It is as under:

पुरा भ्रातः पिता नः स मातरम् तॆ समुद्वहन् ।
मातामहे समाश्रौषीद्राज्यशुल्कम् अनुत्तमम् ॥ अयो. ९९-३

(purA bhrAtaH pitA naH sa mAtaram te samudvahan|
mAtAmahe samASRousheed rAjyaSulkam anuttamam|| Ayodhya Kanda, 99-3)

Meaning is roughly,

Long ago, dear brother, our father, at the time of marrying your mother, had promised his father-in-law the ultimate in bride-price, the kingdom itself.

Rama narrates this past event to Bharata when the latter meets the former at Chitrkuta and tries to convince him to come back to Ayodhya and be the king and Bharata criticises Dasaratha's delusional action in submitting to the dictates of Kaikeyi, etc.

Your view is correct according to me. Dasaratha appears as a king without guts and also overcome by his infatuation for Rama, that he sends Bharata away to his uncle and announces Rama's Pattabhishekam, in a devious manner. But anyway, that's okay since Dasaratha does not claim to be Purushottama and personification of Dharma, as Rama is depicted.

Thank God, Dasaratha did not make a similar promise to Sumitra's father also, when he married for the third time since the other two were childless (for the same reason he married Kaikeyi, who was, as you rightly say, very young for him.)

Friends,
Regarding veg-nonveg issue - When the mankind were wandering in the forest before civilisation - they were eating everything raw . There were no differenciation between veg and non veg. Their only aim was to satisfy the stomach and sex. Later on only after inventiion of fire and wheel they began to eat cooked food ,and even after many years only started settled life.Then only Gothra and Kula came into existence. That means all our forefathers were non veg.

Greetings Sri Sangom,

caturdasha hi varSaaNi vatsyaami vijane vane |
madhu muula phalaiH jiivan hitvaa munivad aamiSam || 2-20-29

sa shhTchaaashhTau cha varshhaaNi vatsyaami vijane vane |
aasevamaano vanyaani phalamuulaishcha cartayan || 2-20-31

In the above verse, Rama clearly tells his mother that he would eat roots,fruits and honey.

I am interested to know the other times when Rama ate meat during the vanavaasam. (how many times he broke this particular vow!)

Greetings Sri Subramainian,

As I understand the issue here is Rama's action against his own vows.

Regards

Greetings Sri Sangom,

sa shhTchaaashhTau cha varshhaaNi vatsyaami vijane vane |
aasevamaano vanyaani phalamuulaishcha cartayan || 2-20-31

In the above verse, Rama clearly tells his mother that he would eat roots,fruits and honey.

I am interested to know the other times when Rama ate meat during the vanavaasam. (how many times he broke this particular vow!)
Dear Janam,

To the best of my knowledge there are one or two more references, but this may not be correct. I would suggest that you go through the blogs of truthseeker to which I have referred in post No.12 in this thead; he gives the other references, which considered together would give the reader the impression that Rama & Co. were never interested in fruits/roots/honey. The blogger has even calculated (as a joke) how many animals would have been consumed during vanavaasa!

Dear Janam,

Somehow I omitted the following from my post #48 above.

vatsyaami =I shall live vane =in forest, vijane =bereft of people munivat =like sage chaturdasha =fourteen varshhaaNi =years hitvaa =leaving off aamishham =meat, jiivan =living madhu muulaphalaiH= with honey, roots and fruits.

“I shall live in a solitary forest like a sage for fourteen years, leaving off meat and living with roots, fruits and honey”.

Rama here makes a specific statement that he would live off meat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back