• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Panchakacham and madisar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get angry with me for saying this but doesn't the madisar add years to a woman's appearance?

It gives the "aunty" look.

Now, that I have to disagree :)

Madisar gives a sort of elegance and a kind of fresh feel to her. And it looks absolutely dashing. Count me in as one of the madisar favourites.

For older ladies, it gives a kind of "gambeeram".

And it is uniquely tb style.

Now, that I have to disagree :)

Madisar gives a sort of elegance and a kind of fresh feel to her. And it looks absolutely dashing. Count me in as one of the madisar favourites.

For older ladies, it gives a kind of "gambeeram".

And it is uniquely tb style.

Dear Auh ji,

All that I agree that it gives elegance/class etc but the "aunty" look...it is somehow there yaar.
May be becos I am not TB so I wont understand this....but I feel a saree looks the best tied this 2 ways:

images
images

Dear Renu,

Once a tambram girl gets married, she becomes mAmi (= aunty)!

So, why not madisAr? She can't get married clad in a gown/ churidhar / jeans pants! :lol:

Dear RR ji,

Madisar looks too decent...it does not have the sexy look like how sarees are worn like this:

images

Last edited:
Dear Auh ji,

All that I agree that it gives elegance/class etc but the "aunty" look...it is somehow there yaar.
May be becos I am not TB so I wont understand this....but I feel a saree looks the best tied this 2 ways:
Ok, we will agree to disagree on the "aunty" look.

Designer saris are probably the best thing that has come out for the sari loving women (and the sari loving men :) )...

Ok, we will agree to disagree on the "aunty" look.

Designer saris are probably the best thing that has come out for the sari loving women (and the sari loving men :) )...

You are right..designer sarees are hot and sexy.

But all said and done, I think, given the tropical condition of our country, the women definitely prefer a much lighter alternative. And many traditional elderly mamis have taken to lighter cotton saris or "nighties" which they could not have done in the earlier days due to strict traditionalism.

All better for the lady now, I feel.

And so, the madisar is now a designated wear for ceremonies only.

"Charity begins at home" ...as the quote so does the adaptations...we need to wear panchakacham and madisar for the important poojais which we do at home every year such as pillayar chathurthi, gayatri japam, varalakshmi viradam, kartigai etc...this tradition is still followed even by the Tamil business community of Mumbai so I presume it is definitely being followed by the traditional tambrahms in TamilNadu...so do not see them becoming extinct in the near future at all!!

I'm not sure what is wrong in looking like an "aunty" anyway and who is to decide. Over here they actually have an idiom called "mutton dressed as lamb" meaning older women who dress years younger in what would look best on teenage girls. Some people feel if they have the figure they can get away with wearing anything. Nothing wrong with that, but still people disapprove enough to make a saying for it :D. If one has a pretty face whatever one wears won't change that one has a pretty face. I'm reminded of Vidya Balan who wears some atrocious sari colours/patterns and clothes, but she is still pretty facially. I guess if one is not so pretty face wise it makes sense to take pains to dress well and be fashionable.

the madisar, btw, for the uninitiated, is also suitable for a quickie. one does not have to undo the whole paraphernalia; all one needs to is to undo the swing between the legs, and hey presto, the lady is as free as the water we used to drink, once was ;) .. helped by the fact, that madisar mamis went bare naked underneath the 9 yards.

light cotton madisar, worn by my grandma was as light and comfortable for summer wear. my athai patti, made a mottai patti, while still in early teens, used to wear a white mull, the softest of all cloth i have seen, and sort of opaque, if not fully transparent. that gave an aura of sorrow and forced pain.

all in all , i think, it is the women of today who have voted against the madisar as a daily garb for married tambram women; the same as men who have thrown the panchakacham out of the window, for all practical purposes.

there is a jayakanthan short story, in vikatan, about 45 years ago. there was this writer with a block, and for months could not get even to pen a word. he was waiting at the airport, when he spots a brahmin bride/groom, directly sent off, in their wedding attire (dont ask me why they should be dressed in panch/madisar - this is a jayakanthan story). as the bride walks her tearful depart from her loved ones, the madisar on one of the legs, lifts up to reveal plump healthy calf muscles - and hey presto, our writer's block is removed, and off he goes off to create something with a handy pen and paper that he keeps with him always.

remember this story once in a while, and a 'while' here was this occassion. thought you would enjoy it nevertheless, even though i have written about it in this forum before. trusting folks to have a short memory :)

btw till recently, mrs K had to be addressed by first name by everyone. now she has acceded to 'aunty', but definitely, 'mami' is a no no.

Forget about panchakacham.Youngsters today never wear dhoti while at home.They prefer to be in pants or shorts in the name of convenience.Traditions change with time.Girls previously were with paavaadai and dhaavani.Where is that dress now?

Forget about panchakacham.Youngsters today never wear dhoti while at home.They prefer to be in pants or shorts in the name of convenience.Traditions change with time.Girls previously were with paavaadai and dhaavani.Where is that dress now?

paavaadai-dhavani was the best dress in the wardrobes of Indian girls once. That was a beautiful dress. It can make even average girl look like an angel. Kannadasan sang:

பாவாடை தாவணியில் பார்த்த உருவமா இது
பூவாடை வீசி வர பூத்த பருவமா and goes further to end his song with these lines:

எங்கே என் காலமெல்லாம் முடிந்துவிட்டாலும் ஒர்
இரவினிலே முதுமையை நான் அடைந்துவிட்டாலும்
மங்கைஉன்னைத்தொட்டவுடன் மறைந்துவிட்டாலும்
நான் மறுபடியும் பிறந்துவந்து மாலை சூட்டுவேன்.

that is an attire I like and that is a song which I like too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back