• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kumbakonam Degree Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had degree coffee in one hotel in Banglore ( Forgot the Name) They said it will be served only in Dabara & Tumbler and not in Cup & Saucer explained that காப்பிய ஆத்தி குடிக்கணும் நுரையோட குடிச்சாதான் correct taste கடைக்கும். True I think Jambu:amen:
that is mavalli tiffin rooms shortly called as MTR . They will serve in silver tumbler dabara. that is a tradition in that hotel.

I also heard about that coffee but i tasted in the kumbakonam station it was very nice and its a filter coffee i am damn sure about that. if you go there try the coffee in the station.

the method of brewing coffee

Here is my contribution. This is what I have learnt from experience:
1. while brewing coffee, hot boiling water has to be poured on the coffee powder and not vice versa.
2. the coffee you make will depend to a great extent on the kind of milk you use. whole milk will be ideal. toned milk because of reduced fat tastes differently and spoils the experience.
3. coffee has to be taken when it is still hot.
4. take coffee slowly, not in a few gulps quickly.10 minutes for one tumbler will be ideal.
5.preparation of t he coffee powder has to be done carefully. Generally only two varieties of seeds are used(though there is a third variety called robusta) in various proportions depending on individual preferences. The plantation variety of seeds give the unique bitter taste while peaberry seeds gives the flavour. I use these two varieties in equal proportion in the mix.Some times i go for 60% plantation and 40% peaberry to get better taste.
6.the powder has to be ground in such a way that it does not become very fine in consistency. If I had the facility I would have measured the size and would have given it in microns.
7.Chicory is extraneous to coffee and so i dont add it.
Cheers and happy coffee times.

Raju Sir,

My additions are in blue

Here is my contribution. This is what I have learnt from experience:
1. while brewing coffee, hot boiling water has to be poured on the coffee powder and not vice versa.
Normally TB community(of Tanjore origin) doesn't put coffee powder in to boiling water and only boiling water in the filter containing coffee powder
2. the coffee you make will depend to a great extent on the kind of milk you use. whole milk will be ideal. toned milk because of reduced fat tastes differently and spoils the experience.
Only fresh cow milk is used
3. coffee has to be taken when it is still hot.
Correct

4. take coffee slowly, not in a few gulps quickly.10 minutes for one tumbler will be ideal.

Offcourse with foam
5.preparation of t he coffee powder has to be done carefully. Generally only two varieties of seeds are used(though there is a third variety called robusta) in various proportions depending on individual preferences. The plantation variety of seeds give the unique bitter taste while peaberry seeds gives the flavour. I use these two varieties in equal proportion in the mix.Some times i go for 60% plantation and 40% peaberry to get better taste.

Normally Plantation A and Plantation PB in equal quantities. `PB'will give flavour and `A' will give volume.
6.the powder has to be ground in
such a way that it does not become very fine in consistency. If I had the facility I would have measured the size and would have given it in microns.
In my younger days, myself and my brother/sisters use to wake up in the early morning and grind fresh powder using hand grinding machine.
7.Chicory is extraneous to coffee and so i dont add it.
Chicory has to be avoided totally. It will spoil the taste
Cheers and happy coffee times.

Dicoction coming out first time is used for Degree Coffee. Second time onwards is normally passed to servants in the home

All the best

Coffee the way I liked it (in the past) -

In India, I used peaberry coffee ground to about 80 microns. I liked chicory and added 50 gms of chicory in every KG of coffee ground. அப்புறம் என்ன? காபி போடுவது ஒரு சாங்கியம்!I used to smoke. I enjoyed a smoke after the coffee.
Nowadays, I don't smoke. I can't handle the first decoction either. I don't add milk anymore. I don't add chocory anymore. I love a very hot, black, weak coffee! If the coffee is good, then I don't add sugar either. I suggest our coffee lovers to try this.

Cheers!

I had degree coffee in one hotel in Banglore ( Forgot the Name) They said it will be served only in Dabara & Tumbler and not in Cup & Saucer explained that காப்பிய ஆத்தி குடிக்கணும் நுரையோட குடிச்சாதான் correct taste கடைக்கும். True I think Jambu:amen:
Coffee compares with red wine in this property ஆத்தறது is nothing but aeration and produces froth. Wine particularly Red full bodied should be aerated to get the right state for this decanters are available and now modern Vinturi is used.(Re: fine Wine Metro Plus The Hindu Madurai datedtd 1/ 5 /2010) Jambu:high5:

Last edited:
is it venturi or vinturi,as i vaguely remember in physics venturi's principle whatever i agree the decoction method,with peaberry A with little chicory,in dabara tumbler,has a uniqueness,my appa's favorite morning dose of liquid while evening it was soma banam of the distilled variety especially united breweries :)

i had tasted kumbakonam deg coffee and tried it my own by roasting the bean and powdering it in coffee manual grinder and making fresh decoction , coffee quality depends on milk also...

manual coffee grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back