• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jambhudwipa in Tamil Literature and Kalidas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regurgling of what was said two years ago, almost verbatim.
Thanks for remembering this from two years ago dear sarang, I didn't think you would remember. The event happened in my teens and it made a deep impression on me, I was shocked that my Chittappa would say such a hateful thing. I have the same feeling now as you continue to reject my hand in friendship. I didn't say anything critical about you, yet you keep hurling angry invectives at me. I am really sorry for this.

If you don't like the analogy of friendship between EVR and Rajaji, consider my friendship with our own Shri KRS, we have dueled quite intensely and yet he takes me for his younger brother and I see an older brother in him.

Who can stop you saying what you want. I will follow the maxim: 'nari valadu pakkam pona enna, idathu pakkam pona enna, mele vizhundu pudungama pona porum'. But kadikka vanda adichuthan akanum. I will offer my views if brahmins are attacked or undermined, either openly or surreptitiously.
This is a very unfair comment. I have not said anything negative about you. Comparing me to a nari that is about to bite you is completely unwarranted. As for offering your comments, that would be most welcome. If we can engage in a conversation free of these nari and "know-it-all" comments, how nice it would be!

Oily, ingratiating message is nauseating. Reserve your brotherhood to your own kind.
I have no further comment on the customs issue. Whether you like it or not, we all are brothers and sisters. I will continue to consider you, and brother KB as well, as my brothers in life. I will make a promise to you, I will never question your motives, I will never put you down as a person, I will never make a derisive comment about you the person. If not friendship like what I have with bother KRS, at least we can agree on this non-aggressive pact. Please think about it.

with brotherly love to my dear brother Sarang....

Thanks for remembering this from two years ago dear sarang, I didn't think you would remember. The event happened in my teens and it made a deep impression on me, I was shocked that my Chittappa would say such a hateful thing. I have the same feeling now as you continue to reject my hand in friendship. I didn't say anything critical about you, yet you keep hurling angry invectives at me. I am really sorry for this.

If you don't like the analogy of friendship between EVR and Rajaji, consider my friendship with our own Shri KRS, we have dueled quite intensely and yet he takes me for his younger brother and I see an older brother in him.

This is a very unfair comment. I have not said anything negative about you. Comparing me to a nari that is about to bite you is completely unwarranted. As for offering your comments, that would be most welcome. If we can engage in a conversation free of these nari and "know-it-all" comments, how nice it would be!

I have no further comment on the customs issue. Whether you like it or not, we all are brothers and sisters. I will continue to consider you, and brother KB as well, as my brothers in life. I will make a promise to you, I will never question your motives, I will never put you down as a person, I will never make a derisive comment about you the person. If not friendship like what I have with bother KRS, at least we can agree on this non-aggressive pact. Please think about it.

with brotherly love to my dear brother Sarang....

A very warm, friendly and welcoming post Shri Nara. Your proactive friendliness with love and determination to argue (if happen to be holding on opposite stand on a given topic) for a debate only for the sake of healthy debating without making derisive comments is highly appreciable.

This is what every one of us should be strongly holding on for a friendly and soothing atmosphere here. After all none of us are real enemies to each other.

:yo:

An incident happened in US wherein a cop, who happened to be Caucasian, was responding to an alleged breaking-and-entering crime based on a tip-off from a neighbor. It so happened that the guy, an African American, who was trying to enter the house was the owner of the house who tried to force entry because he was locked out. The issue was sorted out quickly after the identity of the owner was confirmed, but the cop was accused of racism although he did not do anything wrong.

The fact is the cop was not a racist. Those people who accused him of racism only because he happened to be a Caucasian are the real racists.

The dravidianists have the same attitude towards brahmins and accuse the brahmins of having supremacist feelings even when there is none. It is better for the dravidianists to get rid of this casteist feeling before pointing fingers at others. It is natural that a backlash follows any such unjust generalization.

Dear Kalabhairavan

You are right. I am reminded of two incidents.

When I was working for Dinamani (Madurai), Mrs Sathyavani Muthu spoke in public praising the Brahmins catholic outlook. They treat Harijans well than other communties, she said. Though DMK tone was very different in political meetings, now and then, they too speak the truth!!

I was teaching Journalism as a part time lecturer in Madurai University, while I was working as Senior Sub Editor. When I had free time I used to discuss university politics sitting in the department. There was a big fight among Nadars and Mudaliyars at that time. They remarked jokingly, now you are friends of all the communities.

Because of Kamaraj (who was a pukka anti Brahmin, but a close friend of my father in the independence struggle) and Baktavatsalam (former CM), both the communities jumped in to cut throat competition.

I feel this so called superiority complex can strike anyone of any caste.

There was an incident some long time back in the Mumbai film industry where a director wanted to direct a movie about Harijans and he approached a top actor of that time..it was in some 80's.

That actor got very mad and shouted at the director saying that "do you think I look like a Harijan? Go ask so and so who is dark skinned to act...he looks like a Harijan and not me"

Ok now the best part of it the actor who got mad was a Khatri by caste and the actor whom he said who looks like a Harijan was a North Indian Brahmin by birth!

So you see when status becomes equal in this case both were famous actors..then people will find some other ways to divide themselves and caste wont even matter.

Like here a Khatri felt that a Brahmin will suit the role better based on skin color alone.

The problem with those who have superiority complex is they badly need another person as a yard stick of comparison to reassure themselves...they can never be contented on their own....this pathology can affect anyone of any Varna or Jati.

Last edited:
From Jamboodveepa - one amongst seven continents or 'dweepaas' as our mantra goes - to caste superiority, is a nice change of course, of course!!

It may be news to some of you here that even among the Namboothiris of Kerala, there were/are (?) ten echelons of which the common names are :—

ஆடு
ஏடு
பிக்ஷை
பிச்சை
ஓத்து
சாந்தி
அடுக்களை
அரங்கு
பந்தி
கடவு

This is in the descending order of kulamahima or sub-caste greatness and each higher group used to consider the lower categories as inferior, in a general sense.

Among the Nairs there were 130 to 138 upajaathis once upon a time and the higher sub-caste will not eat in the same panthi, nor will intermarry with all those below in the list. Also, among the nairs they used to observe theeNDal (தீண்டல்) with most of the lower-ranking sub-castes. In the historical past, (up till the seventeenth century or so - no categorical evidence when this stopped) the Nairs of Kerala always went out with their sword & shield, and they enjoyed the right to behead, on the spot, any lower caste person like Ezhava, Pulaya, etc., who had come close and made the nair impure by தீண்டல்!! But this could not be done in the case of lower ranking nairs themselves.

It therefore appears to me as though these caste formulations and the accompanying ritual impurity concepts cannot be ascribed completely to our Dharma Sastras. Though the Aryan-non Aryan concepts have been debunked now, I feel that the vedic people found a good lot of tribes which were inimical to one another in a large way, and utilized that tribal animosity feelings to establish a chaaturvarnya scheme on top of it and of which the vedic brahmanas were established as paramount.

In our present context, what we have been witnessing probably, right from the inception of the forum with its name "Tamilbrahmins.com" and its logo "Brahmin community spread across the entire globe", a set of people who have successfully created a mental image of they being the real representatives of brahminism (whatever that may mean), offered themselves as 'brahminic mujahideen' and have also, under the influence of some kind of paranoia, created what they term as Brahmin Bashers, from out of the rest (enlightened) of the membership of this forum.

We in Kerala have had to live, in the past, in houses in which poisonous snakes will intrude once in a while. The best way was to keep away from the area where these snakes intruded and not to take heed of their butting in. This worked well in those days; it should work well even here.

This is kind of off topic, but I think it fits in here very well considering the general thrust of the posts the OP makes.

My nephew has a prosthesis in his leg as a result of cancer treatment. The family imported a special instrument to make adjustment to the prosthesis. When the part arrived in Chennai the customs clerk classified it as medical equipment which meant my brother-in-law had to pay huge customs duty. It should have been classified as medical instrument for which the customs duty is minimal. His wife was furious, all this is because of the reservation system, these unqualified NBs get to these positions and they can't tell the difference between medical equipment and instrument. My brother-in-law had to meekly correct her -- actually, the customs clerk was a brahmin.

Does it take much to argue in the reverse fashion, hypothetically siding with your sister?

It is a no brainer to switch the line of argument and say that it is because of reserved constituencies, the unqualified NBs become law makers and make such inane and cumbersome laws that distinguish medical instrument and medical equipment only superficially.

Such type of put downs on a particular community, howsoever, cloaked just dont wash, either with the Bs or NBs

கால பைரவன்;195883 said:
.... The issue was sorted out quickly after the identity of the owner was confirmed, but the cop was accused of racism although he did not do anything wrong. .
Dear all, The African American man in question is the renowned Harvard Professor Gates. The issue was not "quickly" sorted out, he was arrested even after he showed his ID. Much discussion followed, President Obama weighed in, even a book was written about the latent presence of racism, especially among cops. These are the facts, one may derive whatever opinion from these facts.

best, Dileepan

Such type of put downs on a particular community, howsoever, cloaked just dont wash, either with the Bs or NBs
Dear zebra16, I shared an actual incident that took place to illustrate the latent presence of casteism. I also noted that every B family has at least one such person. No put down intended, if I had anything, what I felt when I heard my wife's sister-in-law was sadness.

Your observation that uneducated politicians who are not Brahmins are screwing up everything is an opinion, and of course you have a right to express that opinion, but it is completely unrelated to what I presented -- even if your opinion is correct the facts I presented do not change.

best wishes ...

p.s. The habit of never addressing the individual when responding comes across as arrogant and is annoying. I need to thicken my skin some more :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back