• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is Poonal only ornamental?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nara,

claimed effect of vedic manthras, I said it is subjective and not objective just like your quantum physics is. now since it is subjective it is not possible for an external person to suddenly come and experience it, if you want to experience it you need go and experiment with it, since you have not experimented with it, how is it possible for you to say it does not exist????

faith, I do not want faith, none of our scriptures talk about faith, they have said "Shraddavan labhathe mukthi" and not viswasavan labhathe mukthi, which means if you have shraddha you will gain mukthi, i cannot find an english word for shraddha if you need meaning i would recommend getting a sanskrit - english dictionary.

even if you are not faithful you will realize god, because god or vedas do not require your faith, they need only shraddha.

even kapila of samkhya yoga attaned realization,

now you are asking about studies? you are trying to view eastern science with the hypothesis of western science, it will never work, both are independent and where western science ends, eastern science starts there, so there is no point in trying to conduct a study and trying to see the effects of the mantra, because as some one said " beauty lies in the eyes of observer" but that also does not mean that you can negate beauty, if that is the case the whole quantum will have not thrown out, because that is also subject and not generalized theories,

I could also see that inspite of giving you links to standard articles like wikipedia you did not go to those topics, I have not mentioned any vedic rishis, I have mentioned Yung and abraham who are regarded as the pioneers of western psychology,

now why I said gayatri is supreme, because its not that other ways does not exist, it is because other ways exist something is supreme, gayatri the meaning itself is to increase the dhee or prajna so that it can observe and understand the madness of this world. it is superior to others because it gives fastest way to reach the self, now these are generalizations, do not counter argue with an exception because, exceptions validate a rule but if they are becoming general they do not become an exception.

Since we brahmins are by birth got the right to chant gayathri due to our previous births merit (now this you could say is a matter of faith, now if someone questions me about rebirth, i would say there is a great para psychologist in NIMHANS in bangalore, who has does 500 case studies and came to the conclusion) it is imperative for us to reach the realization using gayathri,

Now I would also advise Naren to look into mantra sastra and see the science of mantra,

now it is pathetic as pointed earlier that at a time when we have vedic mathematics as a course in England our own grand sons of rishis think it is a matter of faith, there is no cure for this disease except to beat own head and think why do I think like this ????????????? this is nothing but a social conditioning, there is something called as linear and spherical thinking in modern psychology , try the spherical and think as a whole to understand the things.

regards,
rakesh
in the first place.

Shri Nara,

In the very first post Shri Rakesh said that "Gayatri, is the supreme vidya because Gayatri's turiya pada is Sri Vidya Maha Panchadasi". Here "vidyA" stands for "SreevidyA" which is a morphed form of tantra with goddess rAjarAjeSvari at the core and there is a 15-lettered mantra which the Sreevidya upAsakas rely upon.

I think there is some confusion because of the word "vidyA" and thought of clarifying.

Shri Rakesh,

Will you please provide the link for Hawking's speech on energy originating from consciousness?

I could not find th exact article on the net, but probably below quote should satisfy you,

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,"

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Hicks

we are one consciousness and that is what rishis called as brahman,

Shri Nara,

Vidya is anything that gives you the knowledge of self, Sri Vidya, I just quote that to emphasize the importance of gayathri and how far that mantra can reach, now with regards to Sri Vidya, 15 letter panchadasi is just a beginning there is a long way to go after that, that i think we can deal in a different thread, this was about poonul and importance of gayathri, in the mean time i will try to see if i can get you the exact article link for Mr. Stephen Hawkings.

Here is Stephen Hawking's (not Stephen Hawkin as suggested by Rakesh)views on religion as given in Wikipedia.
Religious views

Throughout his early work, Hawking used the word "God" in metaphorical meanings but also suggested the existence of God was unnecessary to explain the origin of the universe, as discussed in A Brief History of Time.[51] However, his newest book The Grand Design, as well as interviews with the Telegraph and the Channel 4 documentary Genius of Britain, clarify that he does "not believe in a personal God."[52] Hawking writes, "The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second." Hawking adds, "Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing." Graham Farmello of the Telegraph writes, "God did not create the universe, Stephen Hawking revealed."[53][54]
His ex-wife, Jane said during their divorce proceedings that he was an atheist.[55][56] Hawking has stated that he is "not religious in the normal sense" and he believes that "the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."[57] Hawking compared religion and science in 2010, saying: "There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."[58]

well this question was asked by Arjun to Krishna in Geetha, does meditating on saguna brahman or nirguna brahaman is better? the answer was meditating on either form will reach you the nirguna brahman, that nirguna brahman is what I refer as consciousness, the point is it does not matter which symbol you use but the crux is the same, reach the supreme,

now why gayatri, its because for brahmins their forefathers have chanted probably crores and millions and when i chat gayatri, the mantr shakti or energy which is their in the universe starts to flow the person who chants,

thats why I said for brahmins that is the easiest and supreme way,

there is also a saying, " is it not foolish to dig a well near ganga " when you can easily drink the pure water in ganga which is flowing, now dont come back and say todays ganga is filthy, you may take the ganga from gangotri, the pure water which originates from ice melt to water :) the purest form better than todays mineral water :)

Here is Stephen Hawking's (not Stephen Hawkin as suggested by Rakesh)views on religion as given in Wikipedia.
Religious views

Throughout his early work, Hawking used the word "God" in metaphorical meanings but also suggested the existence of God was unnecessary to explain the origin of the universe, as discussed in A Brief History of Time.[51] However, his newest book The Grand Design, as well as interviews with the Telegraph and the Channel 4 documentary Genius of Britain, clarify that he does "not believe in a personal God."[52] Hawking writes, "The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science? I believe the second." Hawking adds, "Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing." Graham Farmello of the Telegraph writes, "God did not create the universe, Stephen Hawking revealed."[53][54]
His ex-wife, Jane said during their divorce proceedings that he was an atheist.[55][56] Hawking has stated that he is "not religious in the normal sense" and he believes that "the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."[57] Hawking compared religion and science in 2010, saying: "There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."[58]
Thank you very much Shri Saarangam. This shows that SH could not have talked about "brahman" as consciousness, I believe.

... Here "vidyA" stands for "SreevidyA" which is a morphed form of tantra with goddess rAjarAjeSvari at the core and there is a 15-lettered mantra which the Sreevidya upAsakas rely upon.
Thanks Shri sangom for your clarification. Perhaps I am reading too much into it, if so, I request Rakesh to clarify and I will withdraw. But, I think Rakesh meant much more than a mere upasana devata of the mantra.

He claimed Gayatri manthra is "the supreme vidya" and the reason for this, according to him was, "Gayatri's turiya pada is Sri Vidya Maha Panchadasi". He also later clarified that "Vidya is anything that gives you the knowledge of self,..." and he further claimed this is just the beginning and there is much more.

IMO, this is just a self-serving claim. Many people make many claims and if they get enough people to accept it, then it takes on a validity of its own. Catholics have Hail Mary, and Muslims have theirs, and the Buddists have theirs. They all make the same superstitious claims as one made here. This is why I asked my questions, fully identifying myself as a freethinking human being. He is not answering them in a forthright manner.

If as you suspect/suggest the scope of his statement is only about the devata attributed to the mantra, then I will leave it at that and withdraw. My beef is about claims of special, deeper, secret, superior knowledge.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Rakesh, Greetings!

claimed effect of vedic manthras, I said it is subjective and not objective just like your quantum physics is.
Quantum physics is mathematics, the most objective of sciences. Scientists do not have a rational explanation yet. Many people are working on it.

if you want to experience it you need go and experiment with it, since you have not experimented with it, how is it possible for you to say it does not exist????
This is like the நரி story I wrote about sometime ago. This is a very low bar to claim validity. Bertrand Russell answered this question long time ago, can you prove there is not a celestial tea-pot orbiting the sun? If you don't want to even try to prove that is not so, how can you tell it does not exist?

I do not want faith, none of our scriptures talk about faith, they have said "Shraddavan labhathe mukthi" and not viswasavan labhathe mukthi,
This may hold for the religion you follow. SVs, who derive their beliefs from the Vedas just as much as any other Vaideeka, say faith is the central ingredient. Of the five prerequisites for Prapatti/Saranagati -- the only means for Mukti in Kali Yuga, according to them -- Maha Visvasam is the central requirement.

even kapila of samkhya yoga attaned realization,
How do you know? I think the answer has to be faith. Even what is "reaslization" is a matter of faith.

now you are asking about studies? you are trying to view eastern science with the hypothesis of western science, it will never work, both are independent and where western science ends, eastern science starts there,
Rakesh, there is only one science, and it has been around since humans started to think. They got some things right, and some things wrong, but in the course of thousands and thousands of years human knowledge has been expanding because of what we call science, a process of observation, experimentation, etc. Our own forefathers contributed to this advancement of knowledge. We may take pride in that, but what is better is to continue to contribute to advancement of knowledge instead of only reveling in ancient contributions. What is worse is to hang all sorts of superstitious beliefs upon their musings and urge everyone to also accept these superstitions.

now it is pathetic as pointed earlier that at a time when we have vedic mathematics as a course in England our own grand sons of rishis think it is a matter of faith,
You also cited Stephen Hawking and claimed what he was talking about was what you call Brahman. Now you want the validity of what you refer to as "western science"!! Rakesh, you can't have it both ways. Thanks saarangam for giving a proper perspective of Hawking's stand on this matter.

Superstition in personal life is bad enough, but leading others into it with super duper claims that are to be only experienced under the right condition and frame of mind, etc., is a disservice to humanity.

there is no cure for this disease except to beat own head and think why do I think like this ????????????? this is nothing but a social conditioning, there is something called as linear and spherical thinking in modern psychology , try the spherical and think as a whole to understand the things.
Rakesh, you know next to nothing about me and you make judgments like I have been socially conditioned, etc. This is unnecessary in discussions like this. Not agreeing with you does not mean I respect our forefathers less than you do. Try some spherical thinking on that concept.

Cheers!

now with regards to social conditioning including myself and everyone in this world is conditioned. we cannot escape from it, its not that i want to attack you over there personally, but I am referring to public or its just a heads up there is something called as conditioning and that is probably the reason why we act as what we are today,

Social conditioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now with regards to science,

science needs observation , record, analysis, now my question is this all referring to matter, energy, if there is anything we have in our hand to measure something beyond it? there the science ends, science can exist only the realms where the mind can reach,

now you may call this superstition and now there is no way i can disprove you because it is something which is again a personal experience,

now the question is , is there something beyond mind, and that is what viveka choodamani refers as atman, now there is no way to prove it as well as disprove it, because the methods we have are limited to our 5 senses,

at the end of the day it is referred as "Eka ha satyam vipra bahuda vadanti" the truth is one yet the learned describe it differently, so does it mean that they do not exist differently, they do if you think in their way, if you do not it does not exist in your way,

it does not really matter if does or does not exist, because "Shraddavan labhathe mukthi" when the one performs according to his dharma you will reach it.

now coming to samkhya and kapila, samkhya yoga does not prescribe a personal god as such, but krishna says in geetha 10th chapter he is kapila, now if you want to completely negate it, its fine, you have the freedom, you can call it as faith or something which does not exist and i still believe,

but my only point of difference is with the word superstitious, i cannot think that the rishis had any intention of introducing superstitious, they left their worlds and went to forest and stayed there without no materials pleasures and discovered truth and described it, i am not referring to our new age gurus,

but rishis way of thinking is different, again its rishis view point, so probably we are gonna view in a different point,

at the end of the day it does not matter whether which view is right as the truth is the same.

now with regards to social conditioning including myself and everyone in this world is conditioned.
Rakesh, yes, all of us are conditioned, but you characterized the conditioning of free thinkers like me as " no cure for this disease except to beat own head ..". This is what I think is unnecessary.

.... if there is anything we have in our hand to measure something beyond it? there the science
There are many things that are not well understood. Once in the hoary past, many natural phenomena were attributed to supernatural forces. Human ingenuity has figured out natural explanations for many of these natural phenomena and god had to vacate this space. As human knowledge expands, the space for god diminishes. God can only exist in the realm into which human knowledge has not expanded.

Yes, we don't know everything, we may never know everything there is to know, but that is not a valid reason to make unproven or unprovable positive claims, such as god, atma, Brahman and such. To make a positive claim like that, one has to offer more than "you need to experience it" or "it is beyond mind" etc. If that is the yard stick, anything can be claimed.

now the question is , is there something beyond mind, and that is what viveka choodamani refers as atman, now there is no way to prove it as well as disprove it, because the methods we have are limited to our 5 senses,
This is the same as the celestial tea-pot argument. A negative cannot be proved. But, to make a positive claim, something more than Viveka Choodamani needs to be offered.

Thanks ...

now why gayatri, its because for brahmins their forefathers have chanted probably crores and millions and when i chat gayatri, the mantr shakti or energy which is their in the universe starts to flow the person who chants,

Dear Rakesh Innovation,

Gayatri was composed by Sage Vishwamitra. So did the concept of harnessing shakti thru Gayatri exist before Vishwamitra ?

And in this post -- http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/3151-poonal-only-ornamental-3.html#post56662 -- you have given a fantastical sort of explanation for the yagnopaveetham thread. May i know your source of this claim:
"the middle knot brahma grandhi, the other possible can represent eda and the pingala nadis, and the middle thread the spinal chord or the sushmna, it was a great symbolization to make us always remember of the truth of the goal, the arising the kundalini and reaching the brahman"

Regards.

Hello Nara,

Regarding the supremeness of Gayatri, I can find you references from Sruthi if you regard Sruthi as the final pramana.
Hinduism does not cover people who does not regard sruthi as the final pramana. So it would be like I am talking to a christian/muslim/jain or Buddha or any other religion or an atheist of this world . I do not see a point of discussion then.

Now as per my knowledge I have not find any other upasana methods other than Gayatri referenced as Brahma Vidya in sruthi or smriti. If you have one I would be more than happy to discuss on that. If you are not able to find I think you will have to agree that at least as far as Hinduism or Sanathana Dharma is concerned Gayatri is the supreme Vidya. Now you can find Geetha also called as Brahma Vidya at the end of each chapter but Geeta is not an upasana method it is revealed to arjuna as an experience not an intellectual exercise and only an Arjun (at least one who is or like an Arjuna) is qualified to learn that and any one else trying to learn that will not gain anything from it. It will be like the IIM B Conducting management courses using Geetha it will be helpful only in management and not in the real spiritual path. Adhikara beda is very important as far Hinduism is concerned. Everything is there but it not that everything is for everyone it some of the everything is for everyone. Now if you do not consider sruthi as the final word I think you are free to build up your own religion or subscribe to any other religion than sanathana dharma which exists or even be an atheist. But do not make it hard saying I am a follower of Sanathana Dharma and I do not regard sruthi as the final word. It is like saying "God and evil cannot exist together both at the same time, either you need to be evil or goodness you are free to choose both the ways. Now if you disregard sruthi then sanathana dharma is not for you , Again i am not an authoritative person to declare that as such, but as far as my view is concerned you are out of santhana dharma if anyone does not regard sruthi as the final word. This is not a question of believe or faith, its simple I want to do share trading and I want to learn it then it has its own rules and existing laws are the final authority, now if I do not have a regard for those existing laws fine but I cannot do share trading, each game has its own rules whether I like it or not, or even whether I believe or have faith, and simply since I do not consider those rules I cannot say that it is superstitious because I am not even a player so there is a great lack of real experience. A true rationalist regards experience more valuable than any other method of knoweldge whether it is books, scriptures or any other great Mans word. This is clearly explained in Nyaya Philosophy regarding the pramanas. Now if you want to experience it learn the rules and play and then see if the game works for you otherwise there is no point of lamenting, it is like many people complain I lose the money in Share market, the humble answer is that you did not learn the rules well. now for the people who are follow the rules of Sruthi below is an article about Gayatri.

Vedamata Gayatri

The Gayatri Mantra is called the 'Mother of Vedas' or Vedamata. As such, the initiation of Gayatri is conducted as a ritual called 'Upanayana' or 'Brahmopadesha'. The understanding of the mysteries of Gayatri and its regular practice will lead to the development of a Divine Eye in man. This third eye is called 'Upanayana' since 'Upa' means additional and 'Nayana' means eye. Thus the third eye of knowledge is Upanayana.

In the days of the Vedic Rishis, the ceremony of Upanayana was meant for opening the third eye in the middle of the forehead. It invariably opened a new world, the unseen world of Devas, celestials and Gods. Brahmopadesham means 'Initiation into the knowledge of the supreme Brahman'. Indeed Gayatri is Brahmavidya.

The Gayatri mantra is divisible into two portions:

1. The seven Vyahritis

2. The mantra of Gayatri.

The mantra is of 24 syllables in Sanskrit and composed in a rhythm called Gayatri Chandas. The Gayatri mantra is a cosmic formula. The first seven steps of the Gayatri mantra form the seven Vyahriti-s, which are seven invocations. They invoke the seven layers of the universe, which is composed like a song, with seven musical notes.

1. Bhuh - Physical - Muladhara

2. Bhuvah - Vital - Swadhishtana

3. Svah - Mental - Manipuraka

4. Mahah - Intellectual - Anahata

5. Janah - Super mental - Vishuddhi

6. Tapah - Spiritual - Ajna

7. Satyam - Absolute reality or Parabrahman - Sahasrara

The bottom level or the physical plane is called 'Bhuh' Loka. The plant lives in the vital world with Prana called Bhuvah. Both plants and animals live. The real difference however lies in the difference in consciousness or mental level. This level in the grade of consciousness is what is called a 'Vyahriti' of Gayatri.

The seven Vyahritis are aspects of Brahman who is the Effulgence, the light composed of the seven colors of the solar spectrum. Why is the prayer of Gayatri to be offered at those periods in the day, which is neither darkness nor daylight? A period of the day is called by the ancient Rishis as the 'Hour of Brahman -Brahma muhurtha'. In the early hours of the morning Sandhya, the sky emits a pale bluish light or halo in the east. These Bluish rays coming from the east contain subtle awakening magnetism, which affects the brain. These dawn rays of a bluish hue have also got a soothing effect on the body. Also, the morning air is fully charged with Prana or vital energy. This living electricity is what the body cells require for sustaining good health. This Prana is what the Yogi requires for charging his six Yogic centers during the Sandhya Vandana of Gayatri. This absorption of Prana into the body by regulating its movements by will is called Pranayama. So Pranayama is not just a breathing exercise. What the Yogi calls Prana is not air or breath. It is a process of conscious breathing. It is unfortunate that we have forgotten the science of conscious breathing. However this has been brought back to a few of us by great masters like Babaji, Sananda, Melchizedek and Thoth.

The hour of Brahman is specially selected for Gayatri worship since at that hour, the air is heavily charged with Prana and also the Sun's awakening rays of an electric Blue radiate from the east before the physical Sun emerges form the horizon.

Gayatri is a powerful mantra containing the quintessence of the Vedas, Puranas and all scriptures. There is no Mantra superior to Gayatri. The power, which created the universe, has also created man. This power is reflected on the formula of Gayatri. Gayatri is the mantra embodying the power concealed in this primordial sound called 'Aum' and emanates as universal vibration.

The cosmic sound 'Om' gave rise to the seven Vyahritis of Gayatri, which enable the man, living on the material plane to rise to the spiritual plane of consciousness. Light is associated with Consciousness. In the outer world, the Sun does the same work as the mind does inside us. Both include the process of wakening, so that when the soul is awakened into the consciousness of Brahman, we can see the light of Brahman. Thus, light and Consciousness are inseparable.

The Mantra of Gayatri is a prayer to 'Savita', who is the effulgent sun. 'Devasya' - glowing with immeasurable light - 'Bharga'. The inner SUN of our consciousness is the universal light that dwells in us. This consciousness or Parashakti is called 'Savitr' which also means the deliverer. Her power works on the mind of man and stirs him from his dormant state into conscious awakening.

The Gayatri mantra stimulates us to meditate on the Bhagavati seated in the lotus inside the solar plexus. The lotus symbolizes a yogic chakra in the path of Kundalini, situated along the spinal canal. It is the state of Be-ness. Brahman is the state of 'Sat', which is the truth, which indicates our conscious existence. It enables us to experience our existence as a living reality like our breath. The lotus signifies the symbol of creation, opening petal after petal in the process of evolution.

Also, the allusion to light does not refer to sunlight only, but to the inner light from where the seven vibrations have descended from the 'Brahma-plane' down to earth, and to the living beings. The light vibrations descend as seven planes of consciousness into man. Thus, man is a seven-layered being, corresponding to a structure like the Universe. The seven vibrations of the Sapta Vyahritis are contained within the universal sound 'Om'.

It is clear that what is contained in the macrocosm is also contained in the microcosm. There are seven lokas in man also, which respond to the seven vibrations of Gayatri. These lokas in man are the seven yogic Chakras along the Brahmadanda or the spinal column.

The Gayatri mantra has the enduring potency to grant divine vision and infinite powers. The weak are made strong. The agitated recover peace and calm and the mystery of grace is unraveled through this sacred formula. Manu declares that the Gayatri mantra must be practiced with a balanced mind, near a place of water and that it moulds one's character.

Sage Yagnavalkya says that one must chant Gayatri when stars are visible in the evening and in the morning at sunrise, and that a recitation of Gayatri 1110 times every day will cast off all negative forces. No other form of spiritual activity becomes necessary since this in itself is the most complete spiritual Sadhana. 'Face the east and repeat the Gayatri with Om and the three Vyahritis at least 108 times and destroy all sins', proclaims the Smriti. All karmas will cease to take effect as parched seeds, which do not sprout. The recitation of Gayatri with offerings of parched rice, milk, lotus petals and sesame saturated with ghee, will confer peace and lentitude, splendor and vitality with all desires fulfilled. Offerings made in fire through Gayatri are most effective. 'One who recites Gayatri facing the Sun is liberated of all sins', says Rishi Atri. Perform the mantra with complete faith and love, contemplating on the meaning of the Mantra. This is the best form of Japam. The aspirant's heart becomes pure and he imbibes the power of Parashakti to translate faith into action.

Therefore it is so necessary for all to realize and take to the constant chanting of Gayatri. Whoever surrenders to the Supreme Brahman will surely be rewarded. Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says, 'Worshipper truly becomes pure and he "SEES". The Narada Bhakti Sutra says if one opens his heart to this divine mantra, he will be guided in the right path.

Bhuh stands for the great Brahman who is the basis of life dearer than our breaths. Bhuvah is the name of God as his contact frees the aspirant soul from all unwarranted ills and pains of life arising due to Duality or Dvaita. Svah is the name of the lord, as he pervades the vast universe and sustains all and is All Bliss. Gayatri is a harmony, the most excellent incantation invoked as 'Param Param Jyoti Parame- Oh Thou of lustrous radiance'. At the Sandhya hour of the dawn and sunset, with the inter-play of light and darkness, the Gayatri incantation carries immense splendor, with the spreading rays of the frontal light, which forms the texture of the worlds. Just as the kindling of Agni makes visible a hidden light, so the utterance of the chants makes perceptible a silent principle of sound. The spoken word, the mantra is a revelation of the silence that measures the trance of what is in itself immeasurable. The glory of Gayatri Japa is beyond words. Regular Sadhana leads to liberation from Bondage.

"O man, let us with devotion worship that great Brahman, who is the support of the Sun of all such luminous bodies, who as unprecedented lord of all that was and is all that shall be, existed before creation of the universe and who has created the worlds from the earth to the sun" - Rig Veda X.121.1

"He who practices the Japa of Gayatri regularly for three years assumes the form of air after death and becoming all-pervasive like ether attains the Supreme formless Brahman" - Manu Smriti 11.82

"The learned Brahmana who worships the Sun at the time of rising and setting attains all forms of auspiciousness" - Taittariya Aranyaka P2.A2

Sage Yagnavalkya says: "Bhuh is your Head, Bhuvah is your eye and Svah is your voice". Bhuh is Prana. The brain, intellect and knowledge are all in the realm of the head. They should be ready to serve all those who breathe. Bhuvah means the destroyer of pain. Therefore our eyes must not be indifferent to the pain of others. Svah means the giver of happiness. Therefore our voice should impart happiness to others. Everyone should find truth and hope in our words. This is true worship of Gayatri. This is the simplest way to realize the absolute.

Ultimate reality though beyond empirical knowledge is attainable through intuitive perception. Integration of will is one method of cultivating intuition, which can be achieved by concentrated Gayatri incantation. Intuitive insight is brought about by unified will. Incessant Japa of Gayatri is beneficial. It is the answer to the problems of life.

Gayatri contains the mystic formula about the universe, the solar system viewed as a living thing. It says, you are the living Time or the life span of the universe. You are the divine path. You are the divine power within this universe as well as in the limited body. All creation sprang from this same Parashakti that we call Gayatri. The first thing that the God bestows on man is Splendor -Bhargo, so that one can behold Him face to face. The sun has received only a fraction of that Effulgence. All unworthy pursuits and sentiments of man are kept under control, regulated and transformed by the Bhargo of the Gayatri. Bhargo means the light that leads to progress and annihilates fear and evil. Bhargo has thirty-three divine forces of God that hold on the universe and are also poised in man. These are stated in the Vedas; Eight Vasus or the abodes of the whole creation - Earth, water, fire, air, ether, moon, sun and Purusha. Eleven Rudras are the soul and the ten Pranas namely prana, vyaana etc up to Dhanajaya. The twelve Adityas are the twelve months of the year. Indra is the source of great power while Prajapathi stands for the lordship of creation. The grace of Brahman, which helps us to be virtuous, is known as Bhargah.

The solar globe of the physical Sun is the body of the Solar Logos. Therefore the 'Devaysa' within the Sun is the consciousness pulsating interior to the Sun. what Gayatri signifies is not the visible or the physical Sun, the giver of heat or light, but pure consciousness, symbolized by inner Sun or Savita. The aim of Gayatri is to transform the human nature into divine so as to realize the self as the Parabrahman.

One can comprehend the loftiness of the concept contemplated by the Gayatri Mahamantra by looking into the meaning of the Shlokas of Gayatri Aavaahana during Sandhyavandana. "The single letter 'OM' represents the ultimate reality. Power is its presiding deity. Brahman, the ultimate reality itself is the seer or the Rishi of this Mantra. Its metre or Chandas is Gayatri. It is the personification of the ultimate itself. Its Sadhana is only for the union of the individual self with the ultimate i.e realizing the self as the supreme Paramatman. Let Shree Gayatri the mother of the Vedas, established by Vedas, indestructible, giver of divine blessings, let her come and reveal the Ultimate (Brahma Vidya) to me. Whatever unrighteous deeds are done they are got rid off that day itself. Whatever are done during the night, they are got rid off that night itself.

Oh great power! The embodiment of all letters in the alphabet! The deity that represents the conjugations of Day and night, (the three Sandhyas of the day actually are access points to achieve Bhedana of the three Yogic Granthis in the body!) You are the power of knowledge. You are the enemy of all that is evil. You are the strength and light of the universe and its infinite existence. You are the abode of all Gods. I invoke Gayatri, Savitri the power of Savita, Saraswathi, Lakshmi, Uma or Brahmavidya, and the Rishis. The rishi-chandas-deity of Gayatri are Vishwamitra - Nichrid Gayatri - Savitaa. And of the seven Vyahrities : atri-gauthama-kashyapa-vishwamitra-vasishta-bharadwaja-jamadagni and Gayatri- ushnik-anushthubh-brihati-pankti-trishtub-jagati and Agni-vayu-surya-brihaspati-varuna-indra-vishwedevaah. (Yagnavalkya and Gayatri Tantra forbid the discussion of the fourth Pada of Gayatri since this is to be given only to advanced Sadhakas.)

Agni is her face. Vishnu is her heart. Rudra is her coiffure. Prithvi is her medium of creation. She is alive with the five vital Pranas. She is white in color. She is of 24 letters or eternal Tatvas. Has the three Vedas for three feet. Has six faces in the six directions (Five visible faces for Vamadeva, Sadyojata, and other faces of Sadashiva or the Five Aamnayas, where as the sixth hidden face is the Anuttara Aamnaya which is the abode of the great Vidya of mother Mahatripurasundari). Her purpose is to take us to the ultimate".

yA devI sarvabhUteShu jnAnarUpeNa saMsthitA |
namastasyai namastasyai namastasyai namo namaH ||

Hello Happy Hindu,

regarding gayatri it was never composed by Sage viswamitra, Please try and read some books on what is mantra and how does a mantra works. Mantras are revealed which means they are like energy neither created neither destroyed, they exist and its just happened that Gayatri was revealed to him. He did not make Gayatri nor he invented it. Gayatri was there before Viswamitra and will continue to be there. It just that Viswamitra was the first one who revealed it to the public.

Regarding the second query, You can refer to any standard text in yoga, you can even get the vivekananda's commentary on raja yoga, Eda and pingala nadis are mentioned there and also the middle one called as kundalini. Regarding the knot, when I was a young boy my grandma used to say that she used to make poonuls and the middle knot is called as Brhama Grandhi.
When i was in my 12th Std I learned that in lalitha sahasranama Devi or kundalini is prescribed as Brhama grandhi vibedhini, Rudra Grandhi Vibedhini and Vishnu Grandi Vibedhini. and finally I found references from my biology book that in brain anatomy these grandhis are referred as pineal body, pituitary, and hypothalamus. the kundalini shakti resides in the coccyx region of the spine. the cerebrospinal fluid is mentioned in the yoga texts as soothing from the brain and reaching the coccyx region.
I can try to find the reference for calling the knot in the middle thread as brahma grandhi, if you insist but again I think it is a standard terminology.

regards,
rakesh

Dear Rakesh Innovation,

Gayatri was composed by Sage Vishwamitra. So did the concept of harnessing shakti thru Gayatri exist before Vishwamitra ?

And in this post -- http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/3151-poonal-only-ornamental-3.html#post56662 -- you have given a fantastical sort of explanation for the yagnopaveetham thread. May i know your source of this claim:
"the middle knot brahma grandhi, the other possible can represent eda and the pingala nadis, and the middle thread the spinal chord or the sushmna, it was a great symbolization to make us always remember of the truth of the goal, the arising the kundalini and reaching the brahman"

Regards.

...Regarding the supremeness of Gayatri, I can find you references from Sruthi if you regard Sruthi as the final pramana.
Hinduism does not cover people who does not regard sruthi as the final pramana. So it would be like I am talking to a christian/muslim/jain or Buddha or any other religion or an atheist of this world . I do not see a point of discussion then.

Rakesh, I am also not interested in a shruti-based discussion with you, no point. I am only interested in getting some of your statements clarified. At this time I request you to address the issues I have raised in my post #40, page 4.

I am beginning to think you have no valid answers and so are avoiding the issue by bringing in extraneous things. That is of course your prerogative. If you don't directly discuss my post #40, I will conclude that you have no answers but unwilling to admit it, and I won't bother you any more.

Cheers!

Hello Nara,

The self realization is described as one of necessities of human existence by Abraham Maslow. He refers that state as Peak Experience. Here it is Peak experience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here he says "They usually come on suddenly and are often inspired by deep meditation, intense feelings of love, exposure to great art or music, or the overwhelming beauty of nature." So meditation does gives you a peak experience and that what you get by doing any upasana as well. Maslow describes how the peak experience tends to be uplifting and ego-transcending;.

Ego transcending that is what is exactly described by vivekachoodamani as self realization, If you transcend your ego then only free will is also possible. There is no free thinking or free will without reducing ego. An upasana including Gayatri is a method for it. Now what is special about Gayatri is that at least for the brahmins by their genes it is natural for them and is a faster method of realization that is why I particularly write it as the best method available. now there can be an exception but exception is not a general rule.

Jung is often considered the first modern psychologist to state that the human psyche is "by nature religious" and to explore it in depth

So being religious is not against free will

Jung's work on himself and his patients convinced him that life has a spiritual purpose beyond material goals. Our main task, he believed, is to discover and fulfill our deep innate potential, much as the acorn contains the potential to become the oak, or the caterpillar to become the butterfly. Based on his study of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Taoism, and other traditions, Jung perceived that this journey of transformation, which he called individuation, is at the mystical heart of all religions. It is a journey to meet the self and at the same time to meet the Divine. Unlike Sigmund Freud, Jung thought spiritual experience was essential to our well-being.[20]

So modern psychologist does validate the importance of a spiritual search which is one of the foundations of human existence. and with regards to Gayatri rishis have experienced peak experience using it. you are welcome to use it or you can proceed to your own method, but that you cannot confirm that their method is invalid or superstitious.

For Jung, “My thesis then, is as follows: in addition to our immediate consciousness, which is of a thoroughly personal nature and which we believe to be the only empirical psyche (even if we tack on the personal unconscious as an appendix), there exists a second psychic system of a collective, universal, and impersonal nature which is identical in all individuals. This collective unconscious does not develop individually but is inherited. It consists of pre-existent forms, the archetypes, which can only become conscious secondarily and which give definite form to certain psychic contents.”[1].

Impersonal nature, the quality of nirguna para brahman there it is. I think there is no other proof that it exists.
even when we all were in the womb on our mothers it existed and it acted and thats why we are what we are otherwise we would have been a news item headline with probably 4 legs or 3 legs. ..

As I have noted earlier "Ultimate reality though beyond empirical knowledge is attainable through intuitive perception. Integration of will is one method of cultivating intuition, which can be achieved by concentrated Gayatri incantation"

its beyond empirical knowledge yet we can get there using any of the methods available and gayatri is one of the perfect methods available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back