• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Inheritance - boys vs girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
according to manu smrithi...the civil law followed many centuries in india....even today some of the indian civil law based on manu

smrithi..... ACCORDING TO MANU SMRITHI...THE YOUNG GIRL IS PROTECTED BY MOTHER....THEN FATHER....THEN HUSBAND....

THEN CHILDREN...SO NO WOMAN IS INDEPENDENT IN NATURE....IN FACT SOME TIMES WOMEN WERE PROTECTED VERY

WELL........BUT SOME TIMES LATER CORRUPTED LAW FOLLOWED.....even the wealth has to taken care of by male

dominated society........every where in the globe....i heard a recent story...women participated in 1930 i think....

participated in president's inagural parade in USA...even though women dont have voting power....so every society

had some kind of restrictions....nothing new to india...even still in saudi/other arab countries century old shariah law followed...

dear Mr. Kunjupu,

You are right about the boosted value of land from a few thousands in the recent past, to several lakhs of rupees for a cent of land.

I too was shocked when I learned about the secret plot of four sons to cheat their three sisters and their children of their rightful share of the windfall.

All they have is an unregistered will where the mother has mentioned all the sons as beneficiaries.

When I said it wrong to cheat the children of the daughters of their share, I was told to zip my lips and mind my business.

Now that they have learned that the will is not valid and they will have to involve all the members of the clan in any effort to dispose off the property, they are suspecting /expecting TROUBLE from their nephews and nieces.

But I feel they themselves are the troublemakers in the real sense of the word.

If these sons of the soil try to cheat the others I am sure it will backfire with those people demanding more than their share in the booty/ loot /windfall.

God has his strange ways of driving home hard truths into the harder domes!

How can anyone cheat his own flesh and blood?
How much money does a man really need??
How much will he be able to take with him to the other world???
How can such people sleep at night with a huge stone crushing their conscience???

I also know another true incident where the daughters took the thumb impression of their dead

parent to cut off the sons from the inheritance.

The crime was duly made pardonable by donating a small piece of land to a poor Brahmin priest.

He is now practically out of his mind, senses and job.

Transfer of the sins to the unsuspecting victim along with the bait!!!

The daughters live in forts with spiked fences and under protection- since they can afford it.

But what if the bodyguard becomes the burglar???

Who can save them from those strongmen???

We all grew up all of us ate together.
Mother served the food and we all ate together along with her and father.

My dog also used to be given food just right before we all ate.

So whole family and dog will eat at same time.

Is this happening only in Brahmin community only ? It is all over , every where in India.

All over the world sir...some Indians out here still practice son /daughter discrimination especially when it comes to studies.

Some rich Non Brahmin business communities are not too willing to spend money on their daughters higher studies..they just prefer to make sure the girls are married off giving a fat heavy dowry.

Sri Kunjuppu Sir
It is really very sad story; i am very sorry.
Although our son or our daughter never bother to ask anything about our property , we have made "settlement deed" and registered it; Since our daughter is in UK and our son in US, they must not have problem in inheriting it after our period.
As long as we are alive , we will be enjoying it.
We have also made complete note about our property document etc where it is kept,whose advise they should take to inherit the property, how they can dispose it etc etc and kept it in
'Drop Box' which can be viewed by both of them.

You seem to infer that you r kids are not much bothered, cos, they were settled in the proverbial US & UK.. I dont know how much assets you made it, but a person earning 200K PA across the Atlantic ocean, and if your attic in India had 400Mn $, then for sure The Apprehension Law of Kunjuppus Inheritence would sure gets applied..followed by the fights between kids and the legal disputes, unless the value of gender equality is indoctrinated in the minds of the kids from their childhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this happening only in Brahmin community only ? It is all over , every where in India.

For sure, its the problem with majority of the Asian community.

First one to break this barrier was Mary Roy (Mother of Arunthathi Roy), a keralite christian in 1986 won the supreme court judgment which ensured equal rights for Syrian Christian women, with their male siblings in their ancestral property. Not brahmins alone, but Indian in totality were lagging here at that time. Here the christian community won the edge over the rest, when it comes to gender equality. Sad, at that point of time, the best lawyers and majority of the supreme court judges were from the Brahmin community, esp TB's

In the same year, though not related to inheritance of fathers property, it was about the womens right over husbands property after divorce, and what comes to my mind is the famous Shah Bano case which made the parliament to flex the muscle with the supreme court. In
1986, the Congress (I) party, which had an absolute majority in Parliament at the time, passed an act The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act 1986 that nullified the Supreme Court's judgment in the Shah Bano case..

I think, the problem is there with every one.. And its up each one to win over it, though not mandated it to be a legally moved step, but to settle it within the family and incorporate within their own families such values...

You seem to infer that you r kids are not much bothered, cos, they were settled in the proverbial US & UK.. I dont know how much assets you made it, but a person earning 200K PA across the Atlantic ocean, and if your attic in India had 400Mn $, then for sure The Apprehension Law of Kunjuppus Inheritence would sure gets applied..followed by the fights between kids and the legal disputes, unless the value of gender equality is indoctrinated in the minds of the kids from their childhood.

Sir

Any small property within City limits is really worthy.
We have a house, and we made a settlement deed and registered it so that they will will share it equally when they sell it after our period.

Hello VR Mam,very well said to the post 27,30. what been written here as your post I feel are real and not reel incidents.Mam ,they are only concerned about MONEY ,MAAL, DAABU, CURRENCY NOTES... .Its actually very disturbing, A known incident for me ,grown together etc all were very affectionate persons.family bonding was the first then only money,but hope their fate ,ill-time, DIL as entered probably younger ones started the game after some time ,OMG, Eppadi irrunda kudambam,lots of disputes,they are only for money.they are not bother about conscience,Dharam, law,even almighty supreme powers ,as they are ready to do short cut methods of parihariams . so now values are for money not for gender basics.they can go to any level to acquire it.:yuck: :( :sad: :doh:.

"Money" is a necessary evil"

(Like marriage???)

And Necessity knows no law.

So now making money knows or abides no LAWS.

Might has always been right.

Now To Fight is also right.

So to hold on tight to the money

people fight, back-stab, cheat, lie

and end up doing anything and everything.

It is really sickening.

It sucks and stinks!

My mother uses strong and picturesque expressions to describe people.
Once she spoke of someone as a person
who would lick filth to retrieve a four anna coin from it.
I used to wonder, "Can there be really such a person?"
Now I realize that she was perfectly right in what she had said!

If we are honest and straight forward
we are branded as people who do not how to live!
The exact words which will be used are,
"pizhaikkath theriyaatha aaL!"

Well, the old english system has its merits. The estate and the title went to the eldest son. Younger siblings have to live on allowances doled out. The daughters have to snare (sometime with scheming mother's support) eligible bachelors or widowers with title and endowments. Life was simple then!

Money is the root cause of all Evil.

The family fights over property is nothing new. The so called traditionally rich families have all gone through this. Partition suits, the entire family/village split into two sides. Years of litigation. Property going into receivership, spending all your money on lawyers and then after your active life is over getting the money.

I am allergic to the word சொத்து Sotthu. It can wreck havoc in the family. I have seen it happening so often. Most of you would have seen it on cinema and TV.
We have to ensure that our children do not fight over property/money.

The best way to ensure this is to leave no property/money worth fighting over. But this is easier said than done. You need a house to stay in till the end. May be you could sell the house and move into a rented house. But this is difficult when you are very old. Then you need money for day to day expenses. Then any medical emergency could cost you in Lakhs. You have to be prepared for that.

Values are inculcated in children by us. Still we can never be sure.

One of the ways is to give the money to the children when you are alive. It makes no sense inheriting crores when you are 60. Give the money to the children when they are young for specific purposes. For buying an apartment/house. For sending the children to the best school etc. Buy things for their house and so on. Act like a back up. Sort of Emergency Fund.

Reduce the expectations of children. I have told my children that I would like to see my wealth goes to Charities and temples. So they are not planning on the inheritance.

There are no perfect solutions to this problem.

The kind of incidents should make us think of ways and means of avoiding this in our family.

Well, the old english system has its merits. The estate and the title went to the eldest son. Younger siblings have to live on allowances doled out. The daughters have to snare (sometime with scheming mother's support) eligible bachelors or widowers with title and endowments. Life was simple then!

Sir! do you really think this kind of life was simple then???

The younger siblings were at the mercy of the elder brother

(the big brother!!!) :heh:
and the eligible males under constant threat of :fear:

scheming girls aided by their experienced mothers???

The irresistible force in a female form!!! :bowl:

I also know another true incident where the daughters took the thumb impression of their dead parent to cut off the sons from the inheritance.

Sssshhhhh !!!!! You are not being fashionable at all. It is the "in-thing" to bash the older generations to show case our profound knowledge and to exhibit that we are in tune with the contemporary intelligentsia. So you are allowed to write only about the injustices perpetrated by the patriarchal society and male only injustices and the curse that the TBs had thrust upon them by the so called "vedas"

Money is the root cause of all Evil.

Desire is the root cause of all Evil.

The best thing is to write a will..so that no problems arise.

Since I have only 1 child..so there will be no problems but even then I will still write a will cos I want to make sure my son gets all that he is supposed to get cos without a wil...l legal process of transferring names will take a long time.

To those who are getting married these days..I strongly advise a pre nuptial agreement so that one can save guard some hard earned money from a scheming spouse.

We have no idea what type of spouses our children will marry in the future.

Sssshhhhh !!!!! You are not being fashionable at all. It is the "in-thing" to bash the older generations to show case our profound knowledge and to exhibit that we are in tune with the contemporary intelligentsia. So you are allowed to write only about the injustices perpetrated by the patriarchal society and male only injustices and the curse that the TBs had thrust upon them by the so called "vedas"

I guess I am old / old fashioned /outdated and obsolete then!!! :pout:

Will you then settle for the joint family system! At least the property was preserved and not split. The adventurer who ventures out and lives elsewhere has a right to come and join the crowd, but cannot demand his share and sell.

Recently, three of a family of four brothers sold their share of the huge ancestral house to a developer; one refused to sell and vacate. The builder who threatened violence on the occupant was severely admonished and fined by the court. His project did not progress; eventually after 4 years, he paid the single brother the sum of what he paid for the three. He finally gave in to greed(?!) and hostile environment (construction noise and dust and inconvenience).

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters."

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Sir! do you really think this kind of life was simple then???

The younger siblings were at the mercy of the elder brother

(the big brother!!!) :heh:
and the eligible males under constant threat of :fear:

scheming girls aided by their experienced mothers???

The irresistible force in a female form!!! :bowl:

Last edited:
In a Joint Family system any one of the parties can always ask for a partition of the property. And also file a partition suit.

The Partition Act, 1893

Desire is the root cause of all Evil.

The best thing is to write a will..so that no problems arise.

Since I have only 1 child..so there will be no problems but even then I will still write a will cos I want to make sure my son gets all that he is supposed to get cos without a wil...l legal process of transferring names will take a long time.

To those who are getting married these days..I strongly advise a pre nuptial agreement so that one can save guard some hard earned money from a scheming spouse.

We have no idea what type of spouses our children will marry in the future.

Before the bride and groom start planning about their future together,
their lawyers meet and discuss the prenuptial agreements.

At times this takes so long and becomes so complicated that the lady and man start living as a couple - without tying the knot/ exchanging rings.

They beget children, go round visiting people and places but the actual wedding will be shelved for a future date far far away.

This practice in more pronounced among the more affluent, more popular and more scheming and more doubting people where a wrong spouse or a wrong move can wreck the person's life, career, future and life's savings.

She will get the house, car and the bank balance while
he will get his coat, suit, hat and A boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back