• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

If everything is brahman, everything should be auspicious. then how come we have some specific auspicious days and some specific auspicious times?

I am starting to wonder if these good timing or bad timing has nothing got to do with external factors but rather its related to the human body especially the mind.

There are certain times of the day where certain type of brain wave frequency dominates.
Our mind is nothing but electrical activity of varying frequencies.

We have alpha,beta,delta,thetha and gamma waves.

Each type of wave dominates during a certain time of the day.
For eg in deep sleep we see delta waves( 0.1 to 3.5 Hz)..most humans sleep at night.
...so its a total rest..would late night be conducive for some activity that needs an active mind?
Surely not.

Beta waves dominate when we are awake active and alert.
This is mostly after sunrise and day time..most suited to activity.

4am to dawn is Alpha waves..the calm mind..totally placcid, hence most suited for spiritual activities.

Afternoon period is still mostly beta waves but post lunch the body goes into a slight sluggish mode as we tend to eat more at lunch..so when body is slightly sluggish, mind gets a bit foggy..so would this be a good time for any important function?
Nope!

If we observe all the auspicious timings in a Hindu calendar its mostly when beta activity is high that too before afternoon.

Then evening once sunsets when the mind isnt too active but not sluggish but with hints of enjoyment mode..we would find the timing stated as auspicious.

So yes, everything is Brahman but since we are housed in our physical body our auspicious timings are planned to match the circardian rhythm of the body and the most conducive brain wave frequencies.

So is it really about good or bad timing?
No..its about the timing of the least resistance for a specific activity.

I think auspicious times are based on the energy of the stars, planets. Our world needs both good and bad. Good and the evil. So both auspicious and inauspicious times.

I have come across many health articles (including American and European) which advise restricting meat intake to just 3-4 days a week.
I feel the concept of auspicious days is serving a useful purpose in Tamilnadu. Many non vegetarian Hindus avoid taking meat on certain days of the week like Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and other days like Amavasya, Krithigai, Shashti and so on. It does not matter whether they do it in the name of religion or otherwise as long as it leads to healthier recommended dietary habits.

Latest ads

Back