• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

God Exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us not make assumptions :)

But I am sorry to say that the Genesis given by one of the athiests (Yamaha) is even sillier. .

Sri Haridasa Siva -

We do not know who is an Atheist and who is not in a forum like this when someone has not voluntarily done self disclosure in what religion they are raised and what led them to become an Atheist. Self disclosure is not required and privacy of all is protected which I like about this forum.

However if someone provides imaginary stories mocking deity worship etc self disclosure will demonstrate courage (usually expected of a self proclaimed atheist) and provide a perspective to understand a person's postings.

Just to be sure, I am not asking for any identity of anyone. Just highlighting the virtues of voluntary self disclosures especially when posting critical statements about traditions of a great religion.

Last edited:
Many a times I see Yamaka's name being typed as Yamaha so I guess its interchangable and as the saying goes;

Chandrasekharamaashraye Mama Kim Karishyati Vai Yamaha/Yamaka

"what I mean to say is, many poor (as per their karma) brahmins, get into vedici, do all parayanams, reciting vedas, doing all services to God, are all doing so to have some descent survival."-- C. Ravi wrote.

Puthupatti residents' response --

"Vanakkam Samy... You all say Karma..Karmannu.. are you talking about Karma or Action in this world? We all work hard and harder, and doing punniyam as and when possible , Samy... what else do you want us to do?

If you say it's all "Janma Poorva Karma", then we are all very confused Samy...What did we do in the previous births? We don't know...again, our Swamiji keeps saying that God is All Knowing... Most Merciful...Omnipotent and all that.

If it's all true, then why did this ALL Knowing God Engalae Padachan in this world, Samy...?

People keep saying to ignore this Yamak... that fellow comes here once in a while to check on us.. he keeps blathering to improve our skills and plan for the future and work harder than before... Avanukku yellam easy, Samy... Avan went to see the Collector to get help for Puthupatti Residents.. Avannukku "tangible Results" thaan important... not all grandma stories about "Janma Poorva Karma" etc.

Some people say this fella Yamak is talking like Periyar... Avrukku munnalae ivan thoosi Sami...Periyar thangamana allu Sami...He asked us to become Muslims to get our Equal Rights..Than Maanam Suyya Mariathai etc. ... Periyar & Anna built this State Samy.... even Amma J Jaya our CM is a devotee of Periyar and Anna, mind you.

Samy, what we ask is Equal Treatment from our Gods... let him treat equally all the Bhaktas, period. You, the intellectual Bhaktas get a better treatment.. and this God ignores our cries and our prayers.... We ask for more of simple food, like that boy Oliver Twist, Samy.

We are all (800 million devotees of Gods) are hurting...we are hungry... please don't talk logic, this and that...give us some food for us, Samy...."

Yaen Intha Kadavul Engalae Paddachan, Samy, this poor and downtrodden?"

DrBarani - Hope you cooked a nice meal
icon7.png

I am not sure how well versed you are with topics of Upanishads. Sri Sankara resolves many contradictions by using logic that is not binary. Those that are locked into a binary logic mindset can never understand these explanations and is even evidenced by many posts in this forum itself around confusions between Advita, VA, Duality etc.

Like Sri Nara suggested -perhaps sarcastically - there is a value in writing a scholarly paper. My suggestion is to write on interpretation of Sri Sankara's teaching by using multi-step logical framework.
icon7.png

Doc, i wish you should attempt to counter atheist, through Sankaras teachings, esp vide Mandanas debate.. why not you attempt this to counter the atheist, instead of asking Dr.Barani.

Dr.Barani is right in his approach. to prove the existence of god, mankind had attempted lot of ways.. like logic,reasoning,philosophy, mathematics,paradox,analogy, ontology etc etc. I let dr.barani choose maths& logics and you share your points bt shankaras teaching.. that would make it more vivid with wide spectrum of rainbow in this debate..

doc, i thank you in advance, to take the discussion in that line.im eager to read your counter views on atheism

Namaste DrBaraniji,

The inability of atheists to argue and/or to understand the spiritual or philosophical ideas(truths ?)does not automatically prove existence of God. Aethiest have not stopped, they are progressing - progressed from fire, wheel to condoms,computers,satelites and they still going - and they dont have the responsibility prove the existence of pink unicorn or holy/celestial tea pot circling sun.

Also, it is not(is it ?)the duty/responsibility(shame ?)of believers to prove(inability to prove ?)exisitence of God.

Om Hiranya Rethase Namaha

Thanks,
Jai SiyaRaam

I wonder how you can attribute Fire, Wheel, Computers, Satellites etc. to Atheists. Condoms may be. :laugh:

Believers do not have to prove anything. Especially to Atheists.

That is the basic fallacious assumption of the Atheists. They assume that all Believers are preachers or envagelists. Very few of them are. I am a believer, but I do not post in any such discussions about GOD.

My belief is not based on others accepting it. I do not care what anyone else thinks so long as I believe in it. This is true of most believers.

Thank you. This is my last post here.

Last edited:
Sri Haridasa Siva -

We do not know who is an Atheist and who is not in a forum like this when someone has not voluntarily done self disclosure in what religion they are raised and what led them to become an Atheist. Self disclosure is not required and privacy of all is protected which I like about this forum.

However if someone provides imaginary stories mocking deity worship etc self disclosure will demonstrate courage (usually expected of a self proclaimed atheist) and provide a perspective to understand a person's postings.

Just to be sure, I am not asking for any identity of anyone. Just highlighting the virtues of voluntary self disclosures especially when posting critical statements about traditions of a great religion.

Enough disclosure is already there! Just follow the posts!!

"What's being said is MORE important than who's saying it!!!"

Instead of talking about fuzzy, binary or multiple logical arguments, ask the Gods to give poor people a decent meal everyday!

Why do 800 million God-fearing Bhakatas suffer inside the Gates of Hell in abject poverty in India?

Yaen Intha Kadavul Engalae Paddachan, Samy, this poor and downtrodden?"

If all were rich, there were no need of alms, nor could the merciful man could have been so well known and admired..

for eg, just recollect a few posts before, another atheist claimed proud, that his son has quit the plum job to serve the poor with his medical alms. as an atheist, and as per my premise, he would not have got a chance to 'cherish' that act of his son helping the humanity as a free serving doctor,if god has created every thing the same in a symmetric way, with all his creations being healthy,doctor proof etc, and there wouldnt have risen a need for creation of medical profession itself, including dr.basil! the circumvent comes, his son wouldn't have been a doctor , or the doctor profession itself wouldn't have existed

you are worried about Rs.150/day..what if god gives 200$ to every one equally .for all 365 days? would that make you happy? same clothes to all like military uniform, same food..let me put your own question in a slightly different way.. what if God cuts down your salary of $600 a day to Rs.150 a day, on par with the basic living of India, and make it all poverty free?

yes, few in the world cherished of this dream. and they rationed food /shelter to every one. no different brands of ketchup, all but one single govt supplied bottle. for sometime, they enjoyed it, but later, got bored and frustrated, and pulled the statue of the one who advocated it with bulldozers just few decades ago, and he was called Lenin, who was also a member of the atheist club!

symmetry in every thing is not liked by human race, and being asymmetric is what is many admire in gods creations and wonders and the nature bears testimony to it.

but dont forget, rs.150/day is not the parameter for happiness!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough disclosure is already there! Just follow the posts!!

"What's being said is MORE important than who's saying it!!!"

Instead of talking about fuzzy, binary or multiple logical arguments, ask the Gods to give poor people a decent meal everyday!

Why do 800 million God-fearing Bhakatas suffer inside the Gates of Hell in abject poverty in India?

Two points:

1. In my view - forthright and voluntary self disclosures are great in an open forum, next best thing is to refuse to disclose and the worst is to provide evasive responses to mislead people. The last is equivalent to action of 'sleeper cells' ready to cause mischief and confusion when opportunity is presented. I have great respect for Atheists that exhibit behaviors high integrity and will engage with posts that demonstrate that.

2. There are not 'GODS'! Poverty has nothing to do with someone going to a temple to have a peace of mind. Even if all of them were to become 'atheists' conditions will not change, perhaps there may be more violence. Correct understanding of model of Karma promotes one to exercise their faculty of freewill 100% but there are ignorant and mischief makers that have exploited this model to keep people with mistaken notions for personal gain. There will always be exploiters of people in any society regardless of what reasons they employ. What is needed are leaders who are above corruption for India to improve. State of Gujarath with all its flaws is a great example of how rapid improvements can take place in India.

sh.TKS, its not a good idea to ask some one's identity.

lets look at how fast one walks, not his shoes!

sh.TKS, its not a good idea to ask some one's identity.

lets look at how fast one walks, not his shoes!

As I made very clear, I am not asking anyone for their identity. Actually I dont care to know
However I do respect voluntary disclosures of appropriate information such as what religion they are raised in especially if they are going to mock practices of another religious tradition. That goes to character issue and not identity issue.

Again I am stating my preference and etiquette in open forums. I am not asking anyone for anything

Last edited:
Doc, i wish you should attempt to counter atheist, through Sankaras teachings, esp vide Mandanas debate.. why not you attempt this to counter the atheist, instead of asking Dr.Barani.

Dr.Barani is right in his approach. to prove the existence of god, mankind had attempted lot of ways.. like logic,reasoning,philosophy, mathematics,paradox,analogy, ontology etc etc. I let dr.barani choose maths& logics and you share your points bt shankaras teaching.. that would make it more vivid with wide spectrum of rainbow in this debate..

doc, i thank you in advance, to take the discussion in that line.im eager to read your counter views on atheism

Sri ShivKc - Dr Renu here is the real Doc, I am the PhD type (PhD in theoretical physics with two Masters in other areas :). My children think that management in US corporations have dumbed me down and that higher I went the more dumb I have become - there may be some truth to that
icon7.png

Thanks for your suggestions. However I do not want to really challenge anyone.

I support the idea of being skeptical of any teaching. I am respectful of atheists and theists provided they respect others and have regards for high integrity living . I would take as a friend in a 'New York minute' someone who is a self-proclaimed atheist who is kind, respectful and live a life of integrity over a person who is a theist but bad in terms of how they treat others.

One does not need to go to a temple or be a theist to lead a life of peace. In the tradition of Sanathana Dharma, we consider Dharma as a manifestation of Isvara, so a person committed to a life of personal integrity is a theist even if they claim themselves to be an atheist.

Regards

Two points:

1. In my view - forthright and voluntary self disclosures are great in an open forum, next best thing is to refuse to disclose and the worst is to provide evasive responses to mislead people. The last is equivalent to action of 'sleeper cells' ready to cause mischief and confusion when opportunity is presented. I have great respect for Atheists that exhibit behaviors high integrity and will engage with posts that demonstrate that.

2. There are not 'GODS'! Poverty has nothing to do with someone going to a temple to have a peace of mind. Even if all of them were to become 'atheists' conditions will not change, perhaps there may be more violence. Correct understanding of model of Karma promotes one to exercise their faculty of freewill 100% but there are ignorant and mischief makers that have exploited this model to keep people with mistaken notions for personal gain. There will always be exploiters of people in any society regardless of what reasons they employ. What is needed are leaders who are above corruption for India to improve. State of Gujarath with all its flaws is a great example of how rapid improvements can take place in India.

Let's hear what the Puthupatti people talk about this -

"Hey.... the School kid come here..." an old man yelled

"Hi Perusu, what's up, what do you want?" - the boy came walking towards him.

"What class are you studying?"

"Just started my High School at Schartz at Ramnad - 9th"

"Oh.. you must be about 15 years..Ok.. tell me how many Gods do we have?"

"Well..let's see according to Hindu Puranas we have at least dozen Gods, plus Allah and Jesus and Buddha and others...what's the point, Perusu?"

"Our Swamiji is not coming to our town these days....I thought I can get answers from School kids.... do you think Gujarat is better than Tamil Nadu?"

"Perusu, our Swamiji is a Vedic Scholar, he goes to villages where people pay him well..why would he go to poor villages like ours, anyway?.. Perusu, Gujarath and TN are in the Tier I States as far as per capita GDP is concerned...but..big but here, Perusu, in Gujarat communal riots can come anytime of the day and night... there the CM Modi has criminal cases pending for his role on several pogroms happened in the near past...plus they preach "Hindutva" in a country where we have many many other religions, and the Constitution is Secular....I will not go to Gujarat even you give me a crore rupees!..."

"Hi Podipayalae, do you have ID? You talk so much... I need to check your ID and other details...etc?"

"Perusu, have you gone mad? Why the hell you need my identity anyway? If you don't like what I say, then you ask for my identity... you are very strange, m a n... you talk like our Swamiji.... all Vedam Readers are like this, I suppose... I got to run... I have to study and do my home work"

"What happened to that fella Yamak?"

"He has gone to fight with the Collector to get us a High School in our area, Perusu!"

"He says that people should have tangible results... not petty philosophies....."

Let's hear what the Puthupatti people talk about this -

"Hey.... the School kid come here..." an old man yelled

"Hi Perusu, what's up, what do you want?" - the boy came walking towards him.

"What class are you studying?"

"Just started my High School at Schartz at Ramnad - 9th"

"Oh.. you must be about 15 years..Ok.. tell me how many Gods do we have?"

"Well..let's see according to Hindu Puranas we have at least dozen Gods, plus Allah and Jesus and Buddha and others...what's the point, Perusu?"

"Our Swamiji is not coming to our town these days....I thought I can get answers from School kids.... do you think Gujarat is better than Tamil Nadu?"

"Perusu, our Swamiji is a Vedic Scholar, he goes to villages where people pay him well..why would he go to poor villages like ours, anyway?.. Perusu, Gujarath and TN are in the Tier I States as far as per capita GDP is concerned...but..big but here, Perusu, in Gujarat communal riots can come anytime of the day and night... there the CM Modi has criminal cases pending for his role on several pogroms happened in the near past...plus they preach "Hindutva" in a country where we have many many other religions, and the Constitution is Secular....I will not go to Gujarat even you give me a crore rupees!..."

"Hi Podipayalae, do you have ID? You talk so much... I need to check your ID and other details...etc?"

"Perusu, have you gone mad? Why the hell you need my identity anyway? If you don't like what I say, then you ask for my identity... you are very strange, m a n... you talk like our Swamiji.... all Vedam Readers are like this, I suppose... I got to run... I have to study and do my home work"

"What happened to that fella Yamak?"

"He has gone to fight with the Collector to get us a High School in our area, Perusu!"

"He says that people should have tangible results... not petty philosophies....."

Story continues many decades later as conversation between a Therapist (Dr X) and a person who does not want to reveal his background (Mr Y)

Dr X - "What are you here for"
Mr Y - "I am a self-made man, fearless always, I can walk across a graveyard at night, always focused on practical things - but I have a question"
Dr X - " what is your question"
Mr Y - " People call me tax payer, my son calls me Dad, my wife calls me HoneY, my employer calls me employee, some even call me Mr Y. Am I many people like Hindus have many Gods"
Dr X - "I understand your problem - we have to go back to your childhood - how were you raised"
Mr Y - " very religious non-Hindu family but I had tough time accepting those teachings, also I dont like to reveal my religious upbringing details."
Dr X - "well you need to speak openly about yourself and acknowledge your hidden biases due to your religious upbringing - if you participate in a forum, do share yourself fully and voluntarily and you will never fear"
Mr Y - "I wont pay you for silly comments, I have already shared enough, I am self-made man, Good bye"
Dr X - "Have it your way"

(I am posting to continue the same sense of humor - but I am willing to delete this if anyone has objection)

"Dr Renu here is the real Doc,...."

As a Matter of Law and Practice

I don't know whether our resident GP/FP has an MBBS or MD... anyway, here is a real story -

A foreign medical graduate (from India) practicing medicine in TX got into a malpractice law suit...

Plaintiff lawyer said, "Your honor, this person has no MD degree and he was telling his patients he is a doctor; maybe, he is licensed to practice medicine here in this country, but telling his patience as he is an MD is at least a misleading statement."

Judge asked him to elaborate...

Lawyer continued... "a doctor is one who has earned a doctoral degree from an accredited Institution of higher learning. For example

MD Doctor of Medicine
PhD Doctor of Philosophy
JD Doctor of Jurisprudence
DSc Doctor of Science

This person has an MBBS - an under-graduate degree: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery from India... and this is not a Doctoral Degree; this he must tell his patients."

"I see what you are saying..."

"Sir, do you have an MBBS or an MD degree from a University?" he asked the defendant.

"An MBBS, Sir" the physician answered.

"Fine.. hereafter, you should tell your patients that you are licensed to practice medicine in this country.... but you don't have a MD degree... you have only MBBS.. do you follow me?"

"Yes, Sir" the Defendant agreed.

To practice in the US you must pass Step I, II and III Exams... after passing all this, you are licensed to practice whether you have MBBS or MD.

Technically and legally, to call one a doctor, he or she should have earned a Doctoral Degree, period.

.....I would love to call you “Ayya” with all due respect. If you still feel that it’s a mockery on you and you don’t want me to address you that way, I would for sure accept your request to avoid calling you “Ayya”. Otherwise of which my usage of “Iyya” would just be reflecting my wrong motive..
Ravi, I did not have reliable internet for a couple of days -- I am on the road vacationing in the state of Maine, a beautiful and picturesque place -- this is the reason for delayed response.

I now have no doubt, I am sure you didn't use "Ayya" in a mocking way. I welcome you addressing me any way you feel comfortable, for me, I like to be informal and friendly.

Ravi, I have made several fine friends here in this web site, thanks to Praveen. I agree and disagree with all of them to one extent or another, but that has never stopped us from being affectionate to each other. I count you as one of my friends also, we don't have to agree on all issues for that.

best wishes dear brother ...

.....You assertion about agnotism is a result of counterargument, not as a result of your original argument claim about "superior creater is illogical". You have reasserted it several times in different manners (e.g. "Logic 101"). I have pointed out that your Logic System is flawed.
DrBarani, why is my answer to a counter argument any less my view? You seem to be a relative newcomer to this forum, be assured that I have stated my views on atheism and agnosticism very clearly several times, at least twice in this very thread.

All I can do is state my position and expect reasonable rebuttal. Instead, what I am getting is gross misstatement of what I am saying, or simply saying I am wrong. Why am I wrong, because you say you have a superior logical system that can answer these questions. What is the authority for this "superior" logic, yourself.

Well, you may have many admirers for this kind of logic, but I now see that you are not interested in any substance. So be it.

Let me state my position again and if you have any reasonable rebuttal that does not depend on your own authority for validity, please make it.

[1] Those who make a claim have the responsibility to prove it beyond reasonable doubt, that is, indeed, Logic 101. The title of this thread says "God Exists" and as proof we have the silly Barber story. You guys who swear by the truth of this statement will have to make a better case than that.

[2] An omnipotent and omniscient god who cares about human condition to the extent of listening to and answering their prayers is so absurd that it does not even require serious consideration.

[3] A creator god who creates the universe and leaves it up to the creation to fend fore themselves is also illogical as it would lead to the infinite regress fallacy of who created this creator god.

[4] If our human minds are not advanced enough to fully understand, which I concede, then the best position one can take is -- we may never know the full truth of this question, not that there is definitely a creator god.

[5] Given the agnosticism of [4] is about a god who does not care about human condition, there is no reason why we need to care about that god in our day-to-day life, in other words, we don't need god to lead a caring, compassionate, and fulfilling life.

[6] Very often faith in god results in so many horrors that any benefit such faith may offer is not worth it.

This is my considered opinion. I welcome any reasonable counters. I will not respond to frivolous rebuttals that demand faith by fancy names like superior logic et al.

Dear Shri Nara,

Answer me this. What are the qualities you or any rational human would wish to have in themselves. Knowing you from your posts I would say your reply would be compassion, love, caring attitude etc. So these are the qualities rational humans strive for. In other words you would like to go beyond the thinking of self to care about others. Don't you think the logical end of selflessness could be achieved? This notion is exactly what hinduism extols. To transcend the self or the ego. Once you do that you transcend the baser qualities and possess 'divine' qualities. Thus in line with the philosophy of advaita, you and everyone can be a living example of how God can be realized and therefore be a proof for existence of God. If you do do not see such extreme cases today it is because the whole world is immersed in materialism and this force of the current times is so overwhelming to almost everyone that moving in the opposite direction has been strongly hindered. So even rational people have become extremely skeptical about the possibility of achieving and possessing such elevating qualities.

The omniscience and omnipotence one achieves when once that stage is achieved is another matter which I would not want to take up now but in which I totally believe.

.....Believers do not have to prove anything. Especially to Atheists...

[....]

My belief is not based on others accepting it. I do not care what anyone else thinks so long as I believe in it. This is true of most believers.
I agree, faith is your own business. What superstitions give a believer his/her satisfaction is nobody's business but his/her own.

But, contrary to the claim that most believers think this way is not true, the fact of the matter is, as can be seen from the plethora of posts in this very thread, most people want not to just assert faith of any kind -- even if they are fundamentally self-contradicting -- but that faith in a god, any god, is superior to rejecting faith. They are not satisfied promoting their superstitious faith, but they have to put down the natural state of human beings before they are poisoned by religion and faith, i.e. free of religious faith, in the most gross and ridiculous terms, like equating mass murder to atheism.

While these people of faith are united against those who want to be nothing more than mere humans, they are bitter enemies amongst themselves. VA says A is pure poison. A says SVs are narrow minded. Christians say Hindus are demonic. Hindus think Christians are unethical proselytizers. Sunnys think Shiite are blasphemers. They both think Ahamadia are not even Muslims.

The list is endless. Faith is too bogged down with putting down and demonizing those who dare to disagree. The faithless may argue fiercely, but love everyone for the humans they are, nothing more is asked of them, they don't have to accept Jesus as Christ, Nabi as the last prophet, or Vedas as the supreme inerrant truth. They don't even have to return to their natural state of being just humans, before the poison that is religion is poured into them. Atheists by definition love everyone just because, for no other reason.

I agree that theists have no obligation to prove anything, except when they make these claims in public. If they choose to do so, then they have that obligation.

Cheers!

"Dr Renu here is the real Doc,...."

As a Matter of Law and Practice

I don't know whether our resident GP/FP has an MBBS or MD... anyway, here is a real story -

A foreign medical graduate (from India) practicing medicine in TX got into a malpractice law suit...

Plaintiff lawyer said, "Your honor, this person has no MD degree and he was telling his patients he is a doctor; maybe, he is licensed to practice medicine here in this country, but telling his patience as he is an MD is at least a misleading statement."

Judge asked him to elaborate...

Lawyer continued... "a doctor is one who has earned a doctoral degree from an accredited Institution of higher learning. For example

MD Doctor of Medicine
PhD Doctor of Philosophy
JD Doctor of Jurisprudence
DSc Doctor of Science

This person has an MBBS - an under-graduate degree: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery from India... and this is not a Doctoral Degree; this he must tell his patients."

"I see what you are saying..."

"Sir, do you have an MBBS or an MD degree from a University?" he asked the defendant.

"An MBBS, Sir" the physician answered.

"Fine.. hereafter, you should tell your patients that you are licensed to practice medicine in this country.... but you don't have a MD degree... you have only MBBS.. do you follow me?"

"Yes, Sir" the Defendant agreed.

To practice in the US you must pass Step I, II and III Exams... after passing all this, you are licensed to practice whether you have MBBS or MD.

Technically and legally, to call one a doctor, he or she should have earned a Doctoral Degree, period.

Yamaka,

Different countries have different procedures.
To practise medicine in Malaysia once needs to have a recognized degree from any of the listed universities in the Medical Act.
Upon completion of the degree we need to have a compulsory 4 year stint in the government hospitals where we will be posted even to rurals to serve as a medical officer.

After that its up to us if we want to continue in government or study further a Master Degree(Local Programme) or do an MRCP or FRCS.
For those who want to be GPs they can opt for a Masters in Family Medicine or even do a private course in Family Medicine.

Many of us resign after the 4 year stint becos doing MRCP/FRCS or the local programme Masters is very hectic cos you will be posted all over the country by the government and you are still bound by the gov till you are gazetted.

After resignation many of us study further on our own to become Family Physicians and we have our own private practice and we work long hours too.
We work 12 hours a day on weekdays but its worth it cos a GP earns very well here even more than a MRCP/FRCS sometimes and also we get to be our own boss without all the problems of working at a hospital.

One draw back is we tend to get lonely cos we work alone and have no co doctor to chit chat with over lunch etc but thats ok TB Forum is there to fill in the space and I keep my Lap Top logged in TB Forum whenever I am free in between patients.

Anyway at the end of the day its the satisfaction that counts and no matter if anyone is an MBBS,BDS,MRCP,FRCS,Phd we all still owe everything to the
Supreme One who is the "Bheshajam Bhava Roginam"

Last edited:
..... I would say your reply would be compassion, love, caring attitude etc. So these are the qualities rational humans strive for. In other words you would like to go beyond the thinking of self to care about others. Don't you think the logical end of selflessness could be achieved?....
sravna, the compassion and love arise out of how our DNA has been "chosen" through the process of random mutation and natural selection -- a process that is grossly misunderstood as survival of the fittest. The compassion and selflessness is encoded in our DNA, we just can't help it. Why do many humans relate to a dog and make it part of their family? Why does a crow raise a cuckoo chick as its own? I suggest the book The Selfish Gene for more details.

Cheers!

Yamaka,

Different countries have different procedures.
To practise medicine in Malaysia once needs to have a recognized degree from any of the listed universities in the Medical Act.
Upon completion of the degree we need to have a compulsory 4 year stint in the government hospitals where we will be posted even to rurals to serve as a medical officer.

After that its up to us if we want to continue in government or study further a Master Degree(Local Programme) or do an MRCP or FRCS.
For those who want to be GPs they can opt for a Masters in Family Medicine or even do a private course in Family Medicine.

Many of us resign after the 4 year stint becos doing MRCP/FRCS or the local programme Masters is very hectic cos you will be posted all over the country by the government and you are still bound by the gov till you are gazetted.

After resignation many of us study further on our own to become Family Physicians and we have our own private practice and we work long hours too.
We work 12 hours a dayon weekdays but its worth it cos a GP earns very well here even more than a MRCP/FRCS sometimes.

Anyway at the end of the day its the satisfaction that counts and no matter if anyone is an MBBS,BDS,MRCP,FRCS,Phd we all still owe everything to the
Supreme One who is the "Bheshajam Bhava Roginam"

Hi Renuka:

I agree with everything you said except the very last line!

You don't need to answer this: Do you have an MD or MBBS or whatever?

My daughter a few months ago earned a Doctor of Medicine here in the US. She is on her 3 year Residency Program (already passed the Step I and Step II); very soon she will take the Step III Exam.

For her to earn an MD, it took Pre K-12, 4 years of College and 4 years of Medical School (13 + 4 + 4 = 21 years of total school).

To practice as a FP/GP she needs 3 years of Residency, which mean 24 years of School Plus Training.

Here in the US, if the Foreign Medical Graduates with just MBBS inform their patients that they don't have an MD, they will go out of business even though they are licensed!

That's the key point in all of this: Who's the real Doctor?

Peace be with you ALL.

Hi Renuka:

I agree with everything you said except the very last line!

You don't need to answer this: Do you have an MD or MBBS or whatever?

My daughter a few months ago earned a Doctor of Medicine here in the US. She is on her 3 year Residency Program (already passed the Step I and Step II); very soon she will take the Step III Exam.

For her to earn an MD, it took Pre K-12, 4 years of College and 4 years of Medical School (13 + 4 + 4 = 21 years of total school).

To practice as a FP/GP she needs 3 years of Residency, which mean 24 years of School Plus Training.

Here in the US, if the Foreign Medical Graduates with just MBBS inform their patients that they don't have an MD, they will go out of business even though they are licensed!

That's the key point in all of this: Who's the real Doctor?

Peace be with you ALL.

Yamaka,

I know its a very long process in USA cos I have many friends who are working there now.
My MBBS took me 4 and half years in India,worked 1 year in India as an intern and came back to Malaysia and the rest is history.

Here in Malaysia an MBBS can still earn lots and with the post graduated diploma in Family Medicine we have here which is recognized in the Commonwealth we are can "rake" in Wealth of the Common People too.

There are very few doctors out here now with just a simple MBBS unless they are from the older generation but also they have their experience to compensate which can put any young grad to shame cos these old doctors have worked in the days where there was no ultrasound,no hi tech stuff and relied 100% on skills, knowledge and an intuition.

When we meet older docs during medical talks we sure do learn a lot from them esp those who had served in the Armed Forces.

So a doctor is still a doctor if he has treated patients sincerely.

Last edited:
Yamaka,

I know its a very long process in USA cos I have many friends who are working there now.
My MBBS took me 4 and half years in India,worked 1 year in India as an intern and came back to Malaysia and the rest is history.

Here in Malaysia an MBBS can still earn lots and with the post graduated diploma in Family Medicine we have here which is recognized in the Commonwealth we are can "rake" in Wealth of the Common People too.

There are very few doctors out here now with just a simple MBBS unless they are from the older generation but also they have their experience to compensate which can put any young grad to shame cos these old doctors have worked in the days where there was no ultrasound,no hi tech stuff and relied 100% on skills, knowledge and an intuition.

When we meet older docs during medical talks we sure do learn a lot from them esp those who had served in the Armed Forces.

So a doctor is still a doctor if he has treated patients sincerely.

So, I take it you believe ANYBODY who treats a patient sincerely is a DOCTOR, whether or not he or she has earned a Doctoral Degree?

In India, there used to be LMPs, they also were called Doctors! Even some Pharmacists call themselves as Doctors! All who wear a White Coat were called Doctors!!

My son says in Haiti even Voodoo Artists are called as Doctors! All because they treat patients!!

Anyway, I stop this here.

Cheers.

DrBarani, why is my answer to a counter argument any less my view? You seem to be a relative newcomer to this forum, be assured that I have stated my views on atheism and agnosticism very clearly several times, at least twice in this very thread.

First, Lets analyze you original argument before your counterargument. Your original argument is summarized in one line: "I am an atheist because I see paradoxes". I say this is among the most amusing reasons to be an atheist. Your paradoxes arise from limitation of language, limitation of the reasoning ability through binary logic.

Further, let me show you an example of an infinite regression: x = 1 + (1/x) This is an infinite regression. If "x" is God, (1+1/x) is Who created God, and you can replace the 1/x as (1/(1+1/x))... infinitely. This represents your paradox rather directly. But what happens to this regression? It Converges. You see, infinite regressions DO CONVERGE to a value. They do not have to remain in endless loops. You put them in endless loops by treating "parent process" and "child process" the same. They are not the same. Therefore, even in your own binary logic space, you cannot use infinite regression as a disproof of anything. Your own paradox in your own binary logic space did not disprove God.

Now lets see about your counterargument: You are an atheist. And then you generously come down from high horse and "accept agnosticism" as a possibility. If you are convinced about your conclusions from your paradoxes you will not accept agnoticism as a minor solution. That should have raised an alert about the paradox and the method of solving it.

All I can do is state my position and expect reasonable rebuttal. Instead, what I am getting is gross misstatement of what I am saying, or simply saying I am wrong. Why am I wrong, because you say you have a superior logical system that can answer these questions. What is the authority for this "superior" logic, yourself.

As pointed out earlier, there is no mistatement about your position. You use paradoxes as a platform to embrace Atheism. And no, I am not any authority of "superior logic". Ever so many creditworthy mathematicians have evolved different systems of superior logic. Even as far back as 2000 years ago Indian scientists have evolved those Superior Logic Systems.

Here are some examples: (quoted from a recent research paper that appeared in journal Current Science): (Specifically note the sentence that appears before the Bhadrabahu paragraph)

---- Saptbhangi syad evolved with the evolution of the Jain thought in India. As its cornerstone, the conservation principle (tangible reality is the net of inputs and outputs) is attributed to Rishabhnath (ca. 3000 BC). By the time of Parshvanath (ca. 850 BC), the above conservation principle was invoked to draw inference from real world analogies. As evolved later, the key assumptions for the relations in Table 1 are: (1) The world in front of the eyes (pratyakch) is what it is, it does what it does, it is neither created from nothing nor does it disappear into nothing. (2) A conscious (chetana) organism extracts information about phenomenal world from sense inputs. Such images are interpreted as perceptions (itthi) by the internal world behind the eyes (parokch, mind). (3) Awareness of such images is cognized in relation to other inputs and beliefs. Criteria-based descriptions (anugam) of the cognized parts provide information and evidence to represent, reason, interpret, assert, and evaluate consequences. The external world is real and its content is conserved as net balance of inputs and outputs. Its complexity may be daunting and its behavior unpredictable, but it is never contradictory. (4) As spectator, actor and decision maker, an organism interprets perceived parts of inputs to make choices that may be life altering and make one happy, anxious or regretful. (5) Organisms bear consequences of individual and collective actions. Such interdependence calls for reasoned conversation to resolve conflict to arrive at a rational basis for coexistence, including a social contract for live, let live, and thrive.

Mahaveer (599-527 BC) revitalized the Nay methods with the belief that all organisms interpret their experience to address their concerns. Humans distinguish themselves with their ability to reason and deliberate, and the gulf between belief and words is further minimized by practice. If common sense aligns inputs with perceptions, it takes reasoned uncommon sense to align perceptions with the independent reality of phenomenal world. Scrutiny of the content and context of propositions with identified assumptions encourages an open-ended search for certainty that proves and improves as some uncertainty goes away with each day. In response to a query from his discussion leader Indrabhuti Gautam (607-515 BC), Mahaveer emphasized that a belief is inferred not only from the content and context of what one knows and how it came to be known, but to realize its full potential it is also necessary to know what one does not know, what else is needed, and what may falsify and contradict it.

Saptbhangi Syad Nay is elaborated in several written works that go back 2000 years. It evolved from the core assumption that assertions supported by independent evidence not only affirm but also identify areas of doubt and contradictions. The role of evidence in support of reasoning (up-nay) and decision (nir-nay) is elaborated in Gautam’s Nyay Sutr compiled by Akchapad (ca. 100 AD). This text does not mention the word Nyay. Apparently it come in the title through the Nyay Bhasya commentary by Vatsyayan (ca. 400 AD) where the word Nyay appears in the text only once in an insignificant context. Apparently by 500 AD evidence-based Nay reasoning had morphed under the influence of Naiyayik beliefs into Nyay Darshan based on the evidence from scriptures. Current usage of Nyay connotes evidence based judgment with an authority of rule. Soon the limitations of the scriptural evidence and of the logic of true and false (tark) were widely recognized.

Bhadrabahu I (350 BC) emphasized the four inferred logic states as it is (T), it is not (F), it is both (D), or it is neither (X). Umaswami (ca 200 AD) noted that the authority of an affirmed assertion for reasoning is in the evidence. Evidence affirms a certain aspect of the object as a particular or as a class, or its functional state or current state, or as addressed in the past. An inference is valid within bounds of all of its assertions affirmed in real time. Samantbhadra (ca. 300 AD) emphasized that evidence-based validity is necessarily incomplete unless the remaining doubt, if any, is also resolved. Siddhsen Divakar (ca. 500 AD) reiterated that reasoning is not possible unless assertions about content and context relations of the object are affirmed by evidence. Buddhists surmised nothingness (shoonyata) as the ultimate reality against which perceptions are transitory constructs of mind. It was rebutted by Akalank (670 AD) in a decisive debate in Kanchi: shoonyata as a state without a basis in the content and context of an object is also without value for reasoning. Hemchandra (ca. 1050 AD) emphasized: Unless supported by evidence an assertion is no different than nothing. Note that shoonyata is a blank platform to represent and interpret sense experience. Gunratn (ca. 1435 AD) reiterated reliance on criteria-based assertions affirmed by independent evidence as antidote against omniscience of ad hoc. More recently Hiraiynna 8 noted that the four syad states, is (asti) and is not (nasti) with both is or is not and neither is nor is not, challenged the dichotomy of true or false in the faith-based Vedic absolutism. It identified contradiction of the undifferentiated Upnishadic reality of it is so, and also it is not so (eti eti, neti neti). Such interpretation of explicit assertions about an object of reasoning, inferred as the syad states are not red herrings of relativism, skepticism or deviant logic, nor the metaphysics of four-cornered truth ------

As you can see, the primitive system of binary logic is being challenged by eminent researchers all over the world. You must catch up, instead of behaving like Church that refuted Galileo and brushing aside a serious assistance that tells you there are better systems of understanding the world.

Well, you may have many admirers for this kind of logic, but I now see that you are not interested in any substance. So be it.

I am glad to note that there are many who see that better logic systems are available. I want you to join us. You don't have to stop being an atheist. The better logic systems do not lead to one solution or another. But they resolve paradoxes. So, you are free to choose your path with a stronger reasoning of your own, not some silly paradoxes that are worse than a barber shop story.

Let me state my position again and if you have any reasonable rebuttal that does not depend on your own authority for validity, please make it.

I have never claimed I am the authority in other logic systems. Your perception is misplaced. Superior Logic systems EXIST, studied well before I did, research papers published by many scientists. I am aware of them. Thats all. I shared my awareness with everyone.

[4] If our human minds are not advanced enough to fully understand, which I concede, then the best position one can take is -- we may never know the full truth of this question, not that there is definitely a creator god.

I recommend you read Poincare's theorems on probabilities. It shows that all probable states occur, which lead to parallel universes being simultaneously created. Lets take tossing a coin: Head or Tail. According to Poincare, both of them occur leading to two parallel universes. Simply because we see Head it doesn't mean the other one didn't occur. We are simply not part of that Universe where Tail occurred.

[5] Given the agnosticism of [4] is about a god who does not care about human condition, there is no reason why we need to care about that god in our day-to-day life, in other words, we don't need god to lead a caring, compassionate, and fulfilling life.

The Andromeda Galaxy doesn't care about human condition. We should sack all Astronomers? Hubble Telescope? Space missions? You see, not everything is about wealth. Human knowledge came from curiosity, not from search of wealth.

This is my considered opinion. I welcome any reasonable counters. I will not respond to frivolous rebuttals that demand faith by fancy names like superior logic et al.

I will respect your choice if you decide not to seek better systems of logic.

Last edited:
First, Lets analyze you original argument before your counterargument. Your original argument is summarized in one line: "I am an atheist because I see paradoxes". I say this is among the most amusing reasons to be an atheist. Your paradoxes arise from limitation of language, limitation of the reasoning ability through binary logic. Further, let me show you an example of an infinite regression: x = 1 + (1/x) This is an infinite regression. If "x" is God, (1+1/x) is Who created God, and you can replace the 1/x as (1/(1+1/x))... infinitely. This represents your paradox rather directly. But what happens to this regression? It Converges. You see, infinite regressions DO CONVERGE to a value. They do not have to remain in endless loops. You put them in endless loops by treating "parent process" and "child process" the same. They are not the same. Therefore, even in your own binary logic space, you cannot use infinite regression as a disproof of anything. Your own paradox in your own binary logic space did not disprove God. Now lets see about your counterargument: You are an atheist. And then you generously come down from high horse and "accept agnosticism" as a possibility. If you are convinced about your conclusions from your paradoxes you will not accept agnoticism as a minor solution. That should have raised an alert about the paradox and the method of solving it. As pointed out earlier, there is no mistatement about your position. You use paradoxes as a platform to embrace Atheism. And no, I am not any authority of "superior logic". Ever so many creditworthy mathematicians have evolved different systems of superior logic. Even as far back as 2000 years ago Indian scientists have evolved those Superior Logic Systems. Here are some examples: (quoted from a recent research paper that appeared in journal Current Science): (Specifically note the sentence that appears before the Bhadrabahu paragraph) ---- Saptbhangi syad evolved with the evolution of the Jain thought in India. As its cornerstone, the conservation principle (tangible reality is the net of inputs and outputs) is attributed to Rishabhnath (ca. 3000 BC). By the time of Parshvanath (ca. 850 BC), the above conservation principle was invoked to draw inference from real world analogies. As evolved later, the key assumptions for the relations in Table 1 are: (1) The world in front of the eyes (pratyakch) is what it is, it does what it does, it is neither created from nothing nor does it disappear into nothing. (2) A conscious (chetana) organism extracts information about phenomenal world from sense inputs. Such images are interpreted as perceptions (itthi) by the internal world behind the eyes (parokch, mind). (3) Awareness of such images is cognized in relation to other inputs and beliefs. Criteria-based descriptions (anugam) of the cognized parts provide information and evidence to represent, reason, interpret, assert, and evaluate consequences. The external world is real and its content is conserved as net balance of inputs and outputs. Its complexity may be daunting and its behavior unpredictable, but it is never contradictory. (4) As spectator, actor and decision maker, an organism interprets perceived parts of inputs to make choices that may be life altering and make one happy, anxious or regretful. (5) Organisms bear consequences of individual and collective actions. Such interdependence calls for reasoned conversation to resolve conflict to arrive at a rational basis for coexistence, including a social contract for live, let live, and thrive. Mahaveer (599-527 BC) revitalized the Nay methods with the belief that all organisms interpret their experience to address their concerns. Humans distinguish themselves with their ability to reason and deliberate, and the gulf between belief and words is further minimized by practice. If common sense aligns inputs with perceptions, it takes reasoned uncommon sense to align perceptions with the independent reality of phenomenal world. Scrutiny of the content and context of propositions with identified assumptions encourages an open-ended search for certainty that proves and improves as some uncertainty goes away with each day. In response to a query from his discussion leader Indrabhuti Gautam (607-515 BC), Mahaveer emphasized that a belief is inferred not only from the content and context of what one knows and how it came to be known, but to realize its full potential it is also necessary to know what one does not know, what else is needed, and what may falsify and contradict it. Saptbhangi Syad Nay is elaborated in several written works that go back 2000 years. It evolved from the core assumption that assertions supported by independent evidence not only affirm but also identify areas of doubt and contradictions. The role of evidence in support of reasoning (up-nay) and decision (nir-nay) is elaborated in Gautam’s Nyay Sutr compiled by Akchapad (ca. 100 AD). This text does not mention the word Nyay. Apparently it come in the title through the Nyay Bhasya commentary by Vatsyayan (ca. 400 AD) where the word Nyay appears in the text only once in an insignificant context. Apparently by 500 AD evidence-based Nay reasoning had morphed under the influence of Naiyayik beliefs into Nyay Darshan based on the evidence from scriptures. Current usage of Nyay connotes evidence based judgment with an authority of rule. Soon the limitations of the scriptural evidence and of the logic of true and false (tark) were widely recognized. Bhadrabahu I (350 BC) emphasized the four inferred logic states as it is (T), it is not (F), it is both (D), or it is neither (X). Umaswami (ca 200 AD) noted that the authority of an affirmed assertion for reasoning is in the evidence. Evidence affirms a certain aspect of the object as a particular or as a class, or its functional state or current state, or as addressed in the past. An inference is valid within bounds of all of its assertions affirmed in real time. Samantbhadra (ca. 300 AD) emphasized that evidence-based validity is necessarily incomplete unless the remaining doubt, if any, is also resolved. Siddhsen Divakar (ca. 500 AD) reiterated that reasoning is not possible unless assertions about content and context relations of the object are affirmed by evidence. Buddhists surmised nothingness (shoonyata) as the ultimate reality against which perceptions are transitory constructs of mind. It was rebutted by Akalank (670 AD) in a decisive debate in Kanchi: shoonyata as a state without a basis in the content and context of an object is also without value for reasoning. Hemchandra (ca. 1050 AD) emphasized: Unless supported by evidence an assertion is no different than nothing. Note that shoonyata is a blank platform to represent and interpret sense experience. Gunratn (ca. 1435 AD) reiterated reliance on criteria-based assertions affirmed by independent evidence as antidote against omniscience of ad hoc. More recently Hiraiynna 8 noted that the four syad states, is (asti) and is not (nasti) with both is or is not and neither is nor is not, challenged the dichotomy of true or false in the faith-based Vedic absolutism. It identified contradiction of the undifferentiated Upnishadic reality of it is so, and also it is not so (eti eti, neti neti). Such interpretation of explicit assertions about an object of reasoning, inferred as the syad states are not red herrings of relativism, skepticism or deviant logic, nor the metaphysics of four-cornered truth ------ As you can see, the primitive system of binary logic is being challenged by eminent researchers all over the world. You must catch up, instead of behaving like Church that refuted Galileo and brushing aside a serious assistance that tells you there are better systems of understanding the world. I am glad to note that there are many who see that better logic systems are available. I want you to join us. You don't have to stop being an atheist. The better logic systems do not lead to one solution or another. But they resolve paradoxes. So, you are free to choose your path with a stronger reasoning of your own, not some silly paradoxes that are worse than a barber shop story. I have never claimed I am the authority in other logic systems. Your perception is misplaced. Superior Logic systems EXIST, studied well before I did, research papers published by many scientists. I am aware of them. Thats all. I shared my awareness with everyone. I recommend you read Poincare's theorems on probabilities. It shows that all probable states occur, which lead to parallel universes being simultaneously created. Lets take tossing a coin: Head or Tail. According to Poincare, both of them occur leading to two parallel universes. Simply because we see Head it doesn't mean the other one didn't occur. We are simply not part of that Universe where Tail occurred. The Andromeda Galaxy doesn't care about human condition. We should sack all Astronomers? Hubble Telescope? Space missions? You see, not everything is about wealth. Human knowledge came from curiosity, not from search of wealth. I will respect your choice if you decide not to seek better systems of logic.

Dr Barani,

I am speechless!!!

Thalaivar Vazgha!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back