• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins and Non-brahmins: The present day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear HH,
Sense of self:
Level 1 - Desire and ability to reflect on one's actions before and after it is done with the idea that it causes no hurt / least hurt to all praanis around him. If after the action, then seek to negate all negative energy around him by seeking forgiveness / mental repentence.
Level 2 - Desire and ability to track back one's actions and thots to see where it is coming from.
Level 3: Desire and ability to attempt to become one with the source of one's actions and thots.
Level 4: Complete lack of desire and guided ability to attempt to know the source of 'all".
Level 5: ability to know the source.
Level 6: become one with the source.

Am told all of these can only be attempted stage by stage with several sub-stages over several births.
Very interesting observation! I like it!!

Do everyone have it or not? If not, why not?

Am told that everyone cannot have "it" (ie., the sense of self / ability to have the desire to know it, in them) - its related to the dynamics of how the universe functions & certain universal laws (big topic, best sought to be understood from a guru, not ppl who are equally seeking it like me). In the early stages, some may have "it" in this birth but it does not mean they will continue to have it in the next birth. It may be pursued a few births later because it may be remembered a few births later. Those that do not have it are not considered bad. Each birth is for some learning, to be able to give up on some desires at the end of it. Even a bad man sometimes comes to a stage where he reconciles with fate - that's his learning for that birth. To seek to pursue something theoretically is diff from seeking to pursue something practically. Some may seek to know the self from books, elders and teachers (considered good but superficial) while some may pursue the same by sitting in a isolated place after being guided by a guru in specific ways (considered the best and most practical path) (and ofcourse if in a forest, then not thinking abt being eaten up by some animal since they have already given up themselves to God :) ).
I seem to have kindled a bright spot hidden in you! Keep it coming!!

Let me give some of mine.

*Self is nothing but 'I'. Sense of self is the understanding who I consider as 'I' (or you consider yourself as 'I' or anyone else considers himself/herself as 'I'). Here people differ in the conception of 'I' or simply put each one has a unique notion of who he/she is.

--Thus a person says: "I am a poet" or "I am a begger" or "I am the soverign" and so on and firmly believes that he/she is so.

--So the conclusion is that the 'sense' is the same but the object of the sense is different. This object of this sense is the 'subject'!

*Everyone has an idea of 'who am I' mostly unconsciously and rarely consciously.

--Unconcious is the one who is carried away by the thoughts and the conscious one discriminates the thoughts. It is only a man of discrimination who can resist the temptation that the thought process leads him into.

*Everyone has an intellect which is either dormant or active in other words, unmanifest or manifest.

--The kaama that manifests in the thought of person of dormant intellect is unrestrained. He is the one who gloats in the joy of success and mortally struck by failures. He is instinct driven like an animal and not an intellect driven man of maturity.

*Every intellect is again (still) conditioned by the desire in the self.

--Kaama is not negated my the intellect (buddhi) on the contrary the intellect efficiently channelise one's thought process for the realization of the kaama.

--ஆசைக்கோர் அள்வில்லை அகிலமெல்லாம் கட்டி ஆளினும்! Yet the Buddhi effectively tries to realize one's dreams!

Now let us consolidate our thoughts so far.

1. The idea of 'who am I' is ingrained in almost everyone. (The rare ones are Mahaathmas to whom no such ingrainment takes place).

2. Kaama in each one is manifest and realized in and through this concept of 'I'.

3. Both thoughts (manas) and intellect (buddhi) are governed by this kaama.

(continued.)

Regards,
Ramaa

P.S:You can post your thoughts, questions on the above before I continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back