• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Amavasai Tharpanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amavasai Tharpanam

You should not take onion/[COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]garlic[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]/drumstck/radish etc on any day. You also should not leave the shores so there will be no contradiction
THIS BECAUSE WE TAKING ONION FROM ROOT IT LIKE KILLING IT IS SOMETHING WE ATTACK TO GET SOMETHING WE WANT.SO BY AVOID EATING IT WE CAN DO THARPANAM WITH PURED MIND WITHOUT KILLING IT
PLANT IT LIKE WE RESPECT NATURE AND PURED OF MIND.

Dear All,

The fact that an astute Brahmin should not kill animals and not even plants. There have been Humans who desisted from eating Rice or Wheat since they are obtained from destroying the lives of plants.

Hence a Brahmin should abstain from eating Onion or Garlic since the same are obtained by killing the plants.

The Undersigned was once asked by an Astute Christian that Brahmins are also killing plants and hence killing living things.

My reply was very simple : The plant consists of the following four major parts viz. Calix, Carolla, Androcium and Gynocium. They do not have any body part called brain and hence they do not have a mind. (Though our Sanaathana Dharma says that mind comes out of Hrudhayam at the Solar Plexus (and not the biological heart), which has the mind in it) our Biological Science says Mind comes out of Brain and since plants do not have brain and hence mind, they can be eaten.

But very Orthodox people belonging to Sanaathana Dharma even today eat only fruits that too those which fall down of the trees, to be eaten.

May be we can lead that Ascetic Life now.

Moreover abstaining from eating Onion, Garlic, and Drum Stick during the sacred days is because of the biological fact that these vegetables are aphrodisiacs and create sexual desire in to the performer's mind and since such desire is unwanted in those sacred days, these vegetables should be avoided.

Pranaam.

Last edited:
I have read this in many fora that onion, garlic and drum stick create/increase sexual desire. Is there any scientific study to prove this? Or is it the collateral effect, that is, onion and garlic are good for the heart and the individual who consumes these vegetables would have healthy heart and sexual appetite. Incidentally is sexual desire per se is sin?

I have read this in many fora that onion, garlic and drum stick create/increase sexual desire. Is there any scientific study to prove this? Or is it the collateral effect, that is, onion and garlic are good for the heart and the individual who consumes these vegetables would have healthy heart and sexual appetite. Incidentally is sexual desire per se is sin?

Shri Subbu,

Your second question first; sexual desire per se is not at all sin, generally speaking. But in the modern society controlled by certain laws and rules of civilized behaviour, there are many restrictions in how, when and where one may give vent to one's sexual desires.

When we come into the realm of our brahman religious way of life, there are certain additional rules (do's and don'ts). These are matters of belief more than proven facts. Hence it is for each individual to decide how far such rules have to be obeyed.

Dear all,
I want to share this funny incident with all since here the topic of Ahimsa in food is touched upon.In September 2010 i had gone to Puttaparthi India and i had gone to Kashmiri Non Hindu shop there to purchase some clothes and the salesman there a rather young 20 something Non Hindu Kashmiri asked me if i was a Non Hindu or a Hindu and I replied that I was a Hindu and then he asked me if I was vegetarian and I said yes.
Ok next he told me that he finds Hindus hypocrites becos we say we are vegetarians but take lifes while eating plants also.
He then started hitting the floor with his hand and said that the earth also feels pain when we hit it and so do plants when we eat them so what the big difference if we eat animals cos we are causing pain anyhow.So he said at least he was not a hypocrite and he eats meat etc.
He said he wanted an answer from me.
I looked at him and thought "this guy must be expecting a total Ahimsa answer from me and I am not going to give him that...hehehehehee"

So I told him.."you are right every living being feels pain be it plant or animals so why dont you get me a knife and i will slit your throat and have you for dinner cos you will feel pain too'

You should have seen the look on his face..i dont think he will ask any Hindu this question anymore.

Dear VSubbu48 ji,

The fact that Onion and Garlic belong to genus Allium and hence are named as Allium Sepa and Allium Sativum in the Biological parlance. And Biologically these areaphrodisiacs is a very well known fact. And they are well known for arousing bodily lust. Any Biologist will be able to give proof of it.

Secondly both Onion and Garlic contain Anti-Oxidants which convert all Saturated and Unsaturated Fats into other substances so as to reduce the laying of fats on the Aortal Wall so as to reduce the probability of Heart Attacks is also well known.

Thirdly, physical lust is an anti path for Godliness and hence it is advised that these vegetables should not be taken during the sacred days like Amaavaasyaa, Pournami, and Shraadhdham etc.

Well, Well,

History says that since the Muslims during the time of Mohammad, due to continuous ongoing of wars, needed more offsprings, they had all their food full of Onions and Garlics so as to arouse the lust in the males in order to procreate more???

Even today people very much love muslim made items whether vegetarian or Non Vegetarian because the food is laden with spice mainly with Garlic which is known for increasing the bodily lust.

Pranaam.

Last edited:
Non very funny Shrimathi Renuka ji,

It does not go well with a learned Hindu to stoop down to an unlearned Muslim's level of thinking.

Yes, he is right in saying that the Mother Earth feels the pain, and Hence She is called Dharathi (one who enjoys the pain as a mother would when her offspring crawls on her).
But that is a pleasant pain. If you are a mother, perhaps you would have enjoyed it in your life time !!!

But slitting an animal's neck for no fault of it, is not a pleasant pain.

If you can explain, please do so, or else please refrain from talking, since that Muslim entity is not going to take anything you say in the real level. I have spent half a life time with Muslim friends in Nagpur right from my birth and I know what their ability to think and know is!!!

Pranaam.

suba,

i think, all that renu's posting shows, is that there are ignorasmus on all sides. a kashmiri muslim eking out his livelihood courtesy of putatparthi baba's followers, i think, should best keep his mouth shut in front of his customers. this is not only courtesy, but good business policy.

i will tell you my own experience of putting u with intolerance. recently during chennai visit, we rented a tourist taxi for a day visit to thirupathi. the driver blasted cinema songs as it kept him awake during the wee hours of the moring when we left chennai.

my aunt asked him to substitute religious music, which he refused, as he was a christian. the tamil films music was somethign i liked too, and would have had no objection under normal circumstances.

my aunt felt that it violated the spirit of a pilgrimage, and repeated her reqeuest. again he refuesed. i, who was sitting in the front, stretched my hand, switched off the radio, and gave the drvier a piece of my mind. he was a good driver, and when we discussed compensation, i remembered the morning tiff, and inspite of my aunt's entreaties, paid in my opinion a fair tip, and not the usually extravagant one, which is my practice. also, i complained to the driver's company for poor service.

intolerances of any hue sucks. i think the kashmiri guy should take his business elsewhere and not puttaparthi.

Whatever we get is from mother earth only. Forget how we ate in the womb, after coming out, have we, most of us, not drunk mother's milk. Growing up have we not drunk cow/buffalo's milk. The restrictions are to help us to control ourselves. If we carry it too far, we might be left to laugh at ourselves. Better follow the family elders/ancestors practice to avoid jerks in your systems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back