• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Your inputs please:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TB women are very creative.

The display of it starts in the early morning. The number of kolams in their repertoire is so huge that you are simply enchanted looking at the intricate designs they draw in the front courtyard of their homes. One day I was watching the kolam being drawn in front of my house. It was a dot kolam or புள்ளிக்கோலம் which was being drawn. First the dots and then the connecting lines. Finally when I thought it was finished and was appreciating the beautiful drawing on the floor, a final touch was given by putting a small circle inside the one dot left in the centre. It was as if that one stroke added to the beauty of the drawing immen sely. I was instantly reminded of the darshan I had at Dwarka Sri Krishnaji Temple. In the temple there we were all standing with the crowd of devotees waiting for the alankar to be completed and the priest was taking his time. When he removed the screen and allowed us the darshan, we were simply enchanted to see the idol beautifully decorated. When we thought that that is all, the priest finally placed a quill of peacock on the kireetam of the deity and that enhanced the beauty by several fold. The final touch is very important perhaps as that gives immense satisfaction to the creative artist.

Coming back to the creativity of our women, I have heard many songs sung soul fully by our women folk. It requires a lot of understanding of the musical notes and their potential in various contexts to sing and bring out the underlying spirit of the Sahitya. Our women excel in this. I have also heard old women singing songs about the Kaliyuga slowly taking over our culture. It was in a way laughing at ourselves at our follies and weaknesses. Thus a Komuppaatti singing " கலிகாலம் முத்திப்போச்சு. உலகமெல்லாம் தலைகீழா மாறிப்போச்சு, particularly when she sang "குடுமி முடிச்சும் போச்சு.........." making fun of her husband and the toothless oldie who was smiling and enjoying the song are scenes green in my memory.

If Beethoven had seen the musical notes in colors and had mixed them to paint a picture in his mind before writing down his sonata, our women do this every day so well that it has become common place in our culture. So when I hear மாணிக்குறளனே தாலேலோ, வையமளந்தானே தாலேலோ with the stress at the right places and the right intonation in a mellifluous voice I get transported to another world.

Our women are very creative. God has created them that way.

Now the question:

Setting music for a film is a very creative effort. Coordinating the sahitya given by the lyric writer, managing an entire orchestra to play their visualised/audiofied (LOL) individual roles properly and timely and giving the song not only the meaning which matches with the context in picturisation but also the life through appropriate mixing of ragas etc., call for really tremendous amount of creativity.

The question in my mind is why we have not got yet a woman music director. We have the KV Mahadevans, Viswanathans, Ramamurthis, Ilayarajas and Rehmans. We have our Johnsons, Dakshinamurthis and others in Malayalam, We have our Shankars, Jaikishans etc., in Hindi, but not a single woman music director so far. Why? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Though most of Tamil Music Directors belong to Iyer community - from the greats Papanasam Sivan (Vadama) and G Ramanathan, K V Mahadevan, C R Subbaraman and his brother Shankar (Shankar Ganesh), S V Venkataraman (Brahacharanam), Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan -
Soolamangal Sisters composed music for a Tamil film.

Usha Khanna composed music for lot of Hindi films. SD Burman's wife Meera Burman happened to be his Assistant.

but not a single woman music director so far. Why? Any thoughts?

What is the need?

Do women have to do every type of job in the world?

There are some jobs females excel in and there are some jobs males excel in.

I can only comment on Western Music cos I have formal training in it..and almost every composer used to be a male.

May be males have a better ear for music when it comes to composing.

Mostly music directors are known for their eccentric behavior with volatile disposition not to mention a keen interest in the opposite sex....may be this is a quality mostly seen in males and it translates well in the music field.

Last edited:
Talking of music and women, a male singer with a good male voice can entrance the listener whereas a female singer of the highest calibre cannot come anywhere near that. The only female voice which rose to such high standards was that of DKP, in my view.

Talking of music and women, a male singer with a good male voice can entrance the listener whereas a female singer of the highest calibre cannot come anywhere near that. The only female voice which rose to such high standards was that of DKP, in my view.

I have to agree..I myself tend to prefer male voices especially in the Indian scenario.
Indian female singers that too those from the South tend to have rather shrill voices.

Even in the western music scene its always a male singer that rules the music world when it comes to popularity.

There is something mesmerizing about a male voice that a female voice totally lacks..

Pallakdu Mani iyer had similar opinion . He would avoid other Lady singers I understand!

Film music composers have to work with the lyricist for hours together because mostly the lyrics is 'made' for the composed music!

Setting background score for the full movie will also need many hours of struggle.
Women may not be able to cope up with this type of job!

But, Ms. Srilekha is the first and youngest female composer. :)

From wiki:

M. M. Srilekha, (born Koduri Srilekha) is an Indian film playback singer and music composer, known for her works predominantly in

Telugu cinema. She is the only female music director in Telugu film industry.

Srilekha is the cousin of composer M. M. Keeravani. She started her career as a play back singer at the age of 12. She has composed for

her first movie
Taj Mahal and Dasari Narayana Rao’s Naannagaru. Apart from South Indian films, She has composed for

bollywood films like Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain, Mere Sapnon Ki Raani, Aaghaaz etc.

P.S: She lived near my sweet home for some time and learnt basic carnatic music lessons from me! :)

We had one female cpmposer in north in hindi films named Usha khanna.

She composed music for dil deke dekho, hum hindusthani both asha parekh starrers.She composed music for more than 10 films

She scored music also for 2 malayalam movies agni nilavu,moodal manju.

Pallakdu Mani iyer had similar opinion . He would avoid other Lady singers I understand!

Once he became Sambandhi of DKP (his daughter married DKP's son Sivakumar), he started playing for female. He accompanied MLV and no idea about MS (who had 90% female voice and 10% male voice).

Once he became Sambandhi of DKP (his daughter married DKP's son Sivakumar), he started playing for female. He accompanied MLV and no idea about MS (who had 90% female voice and 10% male voice).

There is a misconception that he abhorred accompanying female artists. My late friend T.C.Satyanath and I were interviewing him for the Indian Express, when we asked him about this and his reply was forthright. He said that if he played for them, at that stage, much of the attention and credit would go him and this could be discouraging for the up and coming artists themselves. This, perhaps, explains why he did play for the greatest artists like MS, DKP and MLV in later years, when each one of them had distinguished themselves.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...beJsMq-ti3w7ya5rQ&sig2=GxEcEo4iuzNqdrQctqFzEQ

Please listen to these two songs:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9UgG_lLHU

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJ5Lcfl9wU

And let us have a vote on which one is melodious.

One is a female voice. The so called keechchu kural perhaps - LOL. And the other is again a well known male voice.

In my view in the female voice the rendition of the song comes out beautifully. It is like a pleasant southerly wind coming and murmuring sweet words in my ears. While the male voice has also done justice to the sahitya but in a mathematically precise and clinically succinct way.

The former is full of love and life while the later is precisely measured and laid out clean.

Like beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder music perhaps lies in the minds of the listeners. My experience may not be your experience. Yes. Each one enjoys the pleasures of life according to the limitation imposed by his equipments. LOL.

Last edited:
Awesome! Congratulations Raji Madam! You also deserve credit for that!
She was one of the cute students I trained. She could sing any high note with ease!

She had lots of restrictions in food and I used to wonder how this child has so much control, in her tender age! :thumb:

I never missed the chance to converse with her in Telugu, which I learnt when I was in Vizag. :)

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9UgG_lLHU

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJ5Lcfl9wU

And...... the former is rendered by a movie playback singer and the later by a Carnatic musician! :)

That does not matter. Other than that one rendered it in one go and the other had the benefit of several takes for improvisation it was just the same sahitya/lyric and the underlying bhAva is same. One is a female voice and the other a male voice. I give more marks to the female voice rendering it. There is life breathed into the sAhitya by the singer.
That was the point I was making.

I think the movie play back singer also had the benefit of basic training in Carnatic music. It is obvious. Other than that it is the talent of the music director in adding frills and cutting the flab that has made this number a memorable one for me.

I enjoy those performances where the underlying bhAva is brought out un-attennuated. Music season is going to start. I wait for the new finds of this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back