• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wisdom of being an average Person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most believe All should strive to be super intelligent ,scaling great heights in education and career is the ultimate goal

They run down the average human being who have not excelled and not belonged to the above class.

But for bulk of the population ,it is my theory that it is best to be an average person identifying themselves with a large mass around them.

There is no sense in belonging to super intelligent or utter idiot class.

When one is in doubt about what action to take on any issue , do always what the average group around you does

You would be a fairly successful person leading a peaceful good life without being a person whom others feel jealous off or run down.

If it quality of life one looks for be an average ,you would not regret it.

What do you think?

Well...can actually consider ourselves totally as average or above average or below average?

I think its not possible.

I consider myself above average in some aspects of live..average in other aspects and below average in some other aspects.

So I feel I am a genius,an idiot and an average person all together in one.

Last edited:
When there is a temptation to act like a genius or an idiot , the trick is to resist and conform to average behaviour.

Ones actions should not stand out in a crowd.

With a bit of training one can belong to the average mass.

Let us identify with the collective wisdom of the average and live well

When there is a temptation to act like a genius or an idiot , the trick is to resist and conform to average behaviour.

Ones actions should not stand out in a crowd.

With a bit of training one can belong to the average mass.

Let us identify with the collective wisdom of the average and live well

I am a genius at acting dumb!LOL

Really..I sometimes play the dumb game when I feel I want to watch the fun of another person trying to act smart.

Being a female adds to this advantage cos we can play Bimbo and get away with it!

I am a genius at acting dumb!LOL

Really..I sometimes play the dumb game when I feel I want to watch the fun of another person trying to act smart.

Being a female adds to this advantage cos we can play Bimbo and get away with it!
lol. You are excellent at confusing the issues and playing dumb at the same time.

Many would have thrown the rule book on you if you had not been a girl and had not posted enough semi religeous posts.

I suppose your other borderline posts become acceptable due to your other posts relating to religion and there being no doubts that you are a very religeous person

warming the hearts of TBs here.lol

I suppose your other borderline posts become acceptable due to your other posts relating to religion and there being no doubts that you are a very religeous person

warming the hearts of TBs here.lol

You are being polite...my other post are not always borderline..in fact at times its totally hard core!LOL

Yes..you are right..I am very religious..very conservative too.

BTW body temperature is best maintained ranging from 36.5C to 37.5C..I dont want to be responsible for over heating!LOL

Dear Krish 44, Hats off to your Topic & the commentry you have written, both in the first #1 & subsequent replies to our ever green Doctor Renukaji .the Commentator. As a matter of fact it is the same opinion I have all the time . Never become very popular in any field , lest you loose yourself as an Individual & unique identity. You will be kept on a Pedestal & others directly concerned or not will shower praises : could be for some time , after that if there is change somewhere on the line, you will be left , to feel lonely ?
Most of our Brahmins who have achieved Awards of high standards , do behave simple & all praise them as level headed , simple human being like all of us the Majority. I always feel that more you are in limelight, a day will come positively , you may regret ?
Having gathered enough knowledge & vast general knowledge & life experience in daily life as an open minded citizen, will be able to judge tings better & almost correctly on any subject without any BIAS
AS you have rightly opined if we live that type of life , we would be happier & also be useful to our Friends/ Relatives in the real sense & that is lacking these days.
A.Srinivasan

Primus inter pares is a Latin phrase meaning first among equals. It is typically used as an honorary title for those who are formally equal to other members of their group but are accorded unofficial respect, traditionally owing to their seniority in office. The princeps senatus of the Roman Senate was such a figure and initially only bore the distinction that he was allowed to speak first during debate. However, the term is also often used ironically or self-deprecatingly by leaders with much higher status as a form of respect, camaraderie, or propaganda. After the fall of the Republic, Roman emperors initially referred to themselves only as princeps despite having power of life and death over their "fellow citizens". Various modern figures such as the Prime Minister of parliamentary regimes, the Federal President of Switzerland, the Chief Justice of the United States, and the Ecumenical Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church fall under both senses: bearing higher status and various additional powers while remaining still merely equal to their peers in important senses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_inter_pares

I agree with Renukaji. I do not mind others being average. I would want others to be average or even below average, as long as I stand out.
I am being honest, otherwise there is no point in joining the crowd. Do you think average people have any opinion, they are not posting their opinions. The people posting are "above average" at least in their mind.

I do not want to exist I want to be noticed and if possible revered.LOL:rockon::smash:

Last edited:
Yes, there are advantages in being an average person.

However, most people are endowed with a 'pride factor' which makes them want recognition and portray themselves as above average even if they are average.

When thinking closely, it seems entire human existence is based on this most important factor - that "I am better than you" spirit with seeds sown in the pride element. I think this is what makes people want to achieve, excel, prove, take risks, etc. It is not possible to get rid of this spirit. I also think this spirit is present in majority of us.

Society also idolizes those are deemed 'superior' even for things determined by sheer biological factors... take one's 'looks'. How Cinderella married the rich and handsome prince, and Snow White got revived because of pure love that had the seeds in 'good looks' to begin with, are take home lessons for us right from the childhood. Majority of the movie heroines find their 'love' on the basis of their own 'good looks'.

So to emphasise that one should prefer to be average is a very good message. But is it practical? I fear not.

Oh, and one thing.

YOu might choose to be an average person in everything you do - your job, your income, your status in life, your wife and her achievement, your children and their accomplishment - BUT be a GOOD person at heart! Elsewhere, I read comments that good people are boring and that mediocre people are 'interesting'. I totally disagree with this view. It is only the goodness that enables us to win. Sure, everyone in life wants to win atleast in something and sometimes. It is our own goodness and good karma that helps us win - and win big at that! It is goodness that enables our dreams to get realized... and to fly HIGH in the sky!

I have been with a bunch of mediocre girls called as my 'friends' when in college - the amount of bickering, of back-biting, jealousy, faked friendship... was unspeakable. I find mediocrity or being 'average' coming to personality traits as denoting a very unpleasant personality. So we might want to 'evolve' and be a good person who can be enjoyed in any role - be a friend, a companion, a husband, a wife, a son, a son-in-law, anyone...

Goodness is not being boring... Sri Krishna had rasa leela with a bunchful of gopis and he was good. Even advanced yogis who renounced the world retained a trace of ego for functioning in life. It is satva-guna that is the most enjoyable of the 3 gunas.

So let us all be average in what we aspire for, but be 'good' at heart!

Krishji,
You are not average.

The definition of mediocre is something that is just average, or not very good.
No one tries for mediocrity. That should not be the goal.
If you fail at first you try again and again till you succeed. Even then you fail you accept the results (either as fate or worse).
Read the legend of Bruce and the spider.
http://hazel.forest.net/whootie/stories/bruce_and_spider_scotland.html

Knowing you Krishji
You would be a fairly successful person leading a peaceful good life without being a person whom others feel jealous off or run down.
That sentence does not make sense.
The first part fits you and it is in your control.
The second part is not in your control and you can not stop the reaction of others.

So let us define the word average.

My take on the definition of the term "average person":

Something that is average is neither very good nor very bad, usually when you had hoped it would be better.

Last edited:
Krishji,
You are not average.

The definition of mediocre is something that is just average, or not very good.
No one tries for mediocrity. That should not be the goal.
If you fail at first you try again and again till you succeed. Even then you fail you accept the results (either as fate or worse).
Read the legend of Bruce and the spider.
http://hazel.forest.net/whootie/stories/bruce_and_spider_scotland.html

Knowing you Krishji

That sentence does not make sense.
The first part fits you and it is in your control.
The second part is not in your control and you can not stop the reaction of others.

So let us define the word average.

My take on the definition of the term "average person":

Something that is average is neither very good nor very bad, usually when you had hoped it would be better.
Again we have to return to the definition of average.

Average is less than the best possible or achievable and more than the mediocre to which some happen to belong. these are not readily quantifiable.

In work space the rating is 3 in scale of five ,where 5 is best and 1 is poor. 60-70 percent belong to this work space.

In life they are generally termed middle class , much above the poor ,far below the rich or super rich.

Even if one poses to belong to this class , the response of others is likely to be muted instead of hatred or jealousy. It does help if one projects this way.

It is not wise to flaunt ones wealth or high lifestyle one enjoys.One gains a lot by doing in Rome as all Romans do if that will get one maximum acceptability . One can

easily merge in a big mass of the populace reaping the rewards of social acceptability of many.Becoming a minority on basis such as caste or religion or lifestyle leads

only to misery and hardship.

"Average" is a very much a subjective in sense.

Average of what?

Average among IIMs, Average among IITians, Average among BITS students, Average among Anna University free seat holders,payment seat holders.
Each group is heterogeneous.

Wish to to identify among average is the words of frustration of intelligent people that come out from their mouth when they are very much conscious that they are intelligent than others.

I think "being average" in the context of the OP, means that one does not try to 'show off' in any manner, whether it is wealth, intelligence and education, official or social status, other capabilities such as in arts, music, etc., religiosity, and so on. We will find a lot of such kind of people in the lower echelons of society, but as we go up towards the higher echelons, this kind of contentment or "averageness" becomes less and less.

This is my observation.

You might be right in your observation.sangomji

But why try to identify with higher echelon ,if it is worth projecting average in everything for sensible happy living.

Act average and be rich in material wealth and keep company of those in lower scale in society than you.

This double life leads to happy consequences.lol

Last edited:
You might be right in your observation.sangomji

But why try to identify with higher echelon ,if it is worth projecting average in everything for sensible happy living.

Act average and be rich in material wealth and keep company of those in lower scale in society than you.

This double life leads to happy consequences.lol
Krishji,
I have been trying to follow this course only, all my life.

Krishji,
You have a different definition of "average" than mine.
We are probably talking about the same point, but in different terms. Sangomji might have elaborated your definition.
We all are above average from "average Indian". In Education, income, life style, comfort, etc.

Estimates for average household income and the size of India's middle income households vary by source. Using World Bank's definition of middle income families to be those with per capita income between $10 to $50 per day.
Indian and I can safely say that the average height of Indian men is 5'7".

"AVERAGE" and "EQUAL" are very much subjective.
What is average to you may look like excellent to me (because I am a below average person).
What is excellent to you may look like substandard to an extraordinarily intelligent person.
You can't compare one average / intelligent to another average / intelligent person.
Each are unique in their own way in their state of being average / intelligent. '' lol "

Krishji,

There is a slight clarification that I would like to make...In terms of profession, I would run the hardest, the farthest...I would be run the extra mile and break shackles..

But in my social behavior, the way I interact I would behave as a commoner...I want to be seen as a simple person unpretentious and unostentatious.... I will dress simple...I will eat simple...I will live simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back