• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

why offer coconut & banana to god

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coconut and Banana are the only two fruits in this world which are considered to be “Sacred fruits”. All other fruits are tainted fruits (partially eaten fruits). For example, the apple tree grows from the seed of another eaten fruit and that fruit is treated as tainted. In the case of coconut and banana, the shell or the sleeves is not used for anything. To grow a coconut tree, you have to sow the entire coconut itself and Banana tree grows with the sampling. This is the reason why Coconut and Banana has an important place in all religious activities. Our Ancestors had found this reality long ago and they had made it as a system which is followed now.

Source; ulaga braamanarkal-Swaatik TVcom- Face book

Last edited:
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this!

I was in a Vietnamese Buddhist and ancestors temple 2 days back! There too Banana is offered!

Ma, pala & Vazhai - they are called mukkanigal.

Coconut is not considered a "kani" or "pazham" (fruit) as per the saying. Not as per wiki though.

But if
This is the reason why Coconut and Banana has an important place in all religious activities. Our Ancestors had found this reality long ago and they had made it as a system which is followed now
were to be true, I would like to know the source please.

......... I would like to know the source please.
PSN Sir forgets to post the source often! I takes only a few seconds to Google search for
'Coconut and Banana are the only two fruits in this world which are considered to be “Sacred fruits”....' which gives many sources!! :ranger:

Breaking of coconut symbolizes the breaking of the ego. The coconut represents the human body and before the Lord it is shattered – breaking the ‘aham’ or ego and symbolically total surrendering and merging with the Brahman – supreme soul.

The priest will not put the two pieces back to make it whole.
It is all symbolic.
There is nothing sacred. If it is sacred then it should be preserved and not broken.

We don't offer 'echchil' to God and hence the choice of coconut and banana.

Added advantage is that both are available throughout the year! :)

hi

both are KALPA VRIKSHAM.....BESIDES BOTH ARE USED COMPLETELY....ALL PARTS ARE OF THESE 2 TREES VERY HELPFUL TO

HUMAN BEING.....A GREAT PRODUCT OF MOTHER EARTH...

Friends.I am very sorry I could not mention the source of my above post as the same was taken from my handheld 'Tablet'. Now I give the source. "Ulaga Braamanarkal" உலகபிராமணர்கள் shared by 'Swastik TVcom ' in Face book . Hope u will find this in order..PSN

PSN Sir forgets to post the source often! I takes only a few seconds to Google search for
'Coconut and Banana are the only two fruits in this world which are considered to be “Sacred fruits”....' which gives many sources!! :ranger:

Madam, I was referring to any texts that mention so. Not online sources.

Friends.I am very sorry I could not mention the source of my above post as the same was taken from my handheld 'Tablet'. Now I give the source. "Ulaga Braamanarkal" உலகபிராமணர்கள் shared by 'Swastik TVcom ' in Face book . Hope u will find this in order..PSN

Thank you sir. But surely you will know that these explanations may very well be spinoffs to provide some "support", to certain customs and rituals.

Thank you sir. But surely you will know that these explanations may very well be spinoffs to provide some "support", to certain customs and rituals.

I agree that you can always justify with explanation anything after the event. I too find that this explanation is not adequate.

I think Sabari did that and Rama gave her Moksha!
None of us are equal to Sabari in devotion to Lord Rama!

Similarly, others can't follow Kannappa Nayanar, who offered meat to Lord Shiva!

They are in totally different levels!
award_star.png

None of us are equal to Sabari in devotion to Lord Rama!

Similarly, others can't follow Kannappa Nayanar, who offered meat to Lord Shiva!

They are in totally different levels!
award_star.png

Then what is the need for these Moral stories & their take home message - God accepts any offering given by Bhakthas with true bakthi and he has no discrimination among true Bhakthas! The level of Bhakthi - who decides God or you? TB is already divided as vaishnavas and Smarthas and even vaishnavas are divided as learned and ignorant by a post in this forum. Now one more division based on the level of bhakthi among Bakthas not sanctioned by God

It appears that Mr.Prasad and auh are not satisfied with my reply which they consider as lame excuse. Could both of them tell me what else they want me to do????? I think the present days are not for honesty and truth...Danyosmi..PSN

Thinking in lighter vein, it might not have been possible for Sabari to bite the fruits that she offered to Lord Rama!

She would have kiLLified and tasted them, to select the good ones! So........ No echchil at all! ;)

Coconut and Banana are the only two fruits in this world which are considered to be “Sacred fruits”. All other fruits are tainted fruits (partially eaten fruits). For example, the apple tree grows from the seed of another eaten fruit and that fruit is treated as tainted. In the case of coconut and banana, the shell or the sleeves is not used for anything. To grow a coconut tree, you have to sow the entire coconut itself and Banana tree grows with the sampling. This is the reason why Coconut and Banana has an important place in all religious activities. Our Ancestors had found this reality long ago and they had made it as a system which is followed now.

Source; ulaga braamanarkal-Swaatik TVcom- Face book

I feel partly its becos the coconut has an outer shell and the banana an outer skin so the contents remain relatively clean for offering.

Also the coconut and banana is a local fruit that is found all year round.

Other fruits are seasonal.

Its just logic here and not becos other fruits like apples are from eaten seeds that are tainted.

I feel partly its becos the coconut has an outer shell and the banana an outer skin so the contents remain relatively clean for offering.

Also the coconut and banana is a local fruit that is found all year round.

Other fruits are seasonal.

Its just logic here and not becos other fruits like apples are from eaten seeds that are tainted.

Lord Krishna says

Bhagavad-gita As It Is 9.26

patram pushpam phalam toyam
yo me bhaktya prayacchati
tad aham bhakty-upahritam
asnami prayatatmanah

If coconut and banana are the two fruits that can be offered, why did Krishna specify that.
We use Honey in abhishekam, that is the most
'echchi' food, Is it wrong?

In USA, Canada, UK and other places unless you go to specialty stores Banana and coconut are not local, we still buy it for offerings.

Last edited:
Honey is ehchil of bees, Prasad Sir! :)

We humans can't echchify and then offer to God!

BTW, all fruits are offered to Gods and Goddesses and some are special offerings too.

Usually, if no fruits are available in the house, we keep dates as offering for that day.

Lord Krishna says

Bhagavad-gita As It Is 9.26

patram pushpam phalam toyam
yo me bhaktya prayacchati
tad aham bhakty-upahritam
asnami prayatatmanah

If coconut and banana are the two fruits that can be offered, why did Krishna specify that.
We use Honey in abhishekam, that is the most
'echchi' food, Is it wrong?

In USA, Canada, UK and other places unless you go to specialty stores Banana and coconut are not local, we still buy it for offerings.

dear Prasad Ji,

I meants that Banana and Coconut are local to India and this rule of Coconut and Banana would have come from India.

In Bali..the Hindus there even offer Pineapple/Papaya as offering.

In my parents home..they used to offer Banana,Apples,Oranges,Mango etc..no hard an fast rule that only coconut and banana should be offered.

Krishna is the Universal Avatar..He kept all options open and did not specify any fruit to be offered.

Anyway who listens to God? We prefer to listen to men!LOL

Milk and honey are also offered when both are not vegetarian items.

So I somehow feel the offerings are what we humans love to consume and we create stories around each offering.

Dear Renu,

Breaking a coconut plays an important role in Hindu temples. In fact, in a temple in Kerala, they predict the future by the way

the coconut gets broken, by the poojAri! If the negative effect is seen, the bhakthA doesn't proceed with the plan which he had

thought of in his mind, before the 'ritual'! I saw many persons eagerly awaiting their 'result'. :)

The temple is 'PAramEkkAvu' temple in Thrissur.

Dear Renu,

Breaking a coconut plays an important role in Hindu temples. In fact, in a temple in Kerala, they predict the future by the way

the coconut gets broken, by the poojAri! If the negative effect is seen, the bhakthA doesn't proceed with the plan which he had

thought of in his mind, before the 'ritual'! I saw many persons eagerly awaiting their 'result'. :)

The temple is 'PAramEkkAvu' temple in Thrissur.

Dear RR ji,

We can break even 1000 coconuts but as long as our ego is not broken every action remains futile.

The new year 'Vishu' is the most fascinating festival, when we were kids. :)

Some details from
Vishu Kani | Dew Drops

''Vishu is a Hindu festival celebrated in the Indianstate of Kerala and in the Tulunadu region (Mangalore & Udupi districts) usually in the

second week of April in the
Gregorian calendar. This occasion signifies the sun’s transit into the Meda Raasi (first zodiac sign) according to

Indian astrological calculations, and represents the vernal equinox. “Vishu” in Sanskrit means “equal”.

The most important event in Vishu is the Vishukkani, which literally means “the first thing seen on the day of Vishu after waking up”. The

Vishukkani consists of a ritual arrangement of auspicious articles like raw rice, fresh lemon, golden cucumber, betel leaves, arecanut,

metal mirror, yellow flowers konna (
Cassia fistula), and a holy text and coins, in a bell metal vessel called uruli in the puja room of the

house. A lighted bell metal lamp called nilavilakku is also placed alongside. This is arranged the night before Vishu. On Vishu, the custom

is to wake up at dawn and go to the puja room with eyes closed so that the Vishukkani is the first sight in the new season.''

wpid-20130414_031629.jpg

Most interesting part is that we were new dress and get new rupee notes and coins from all the elders in the family! :popcorn:

images

"By the way the coconut gets broken"-- What on earth the gurukkals/bhattars in temples are able to break the coconut ,just with one or two blows with an iron rod, in two symetrical and correct two halves whereas we are not able to get it done in our homes. Is there any special way for that? I think 90% of us fail in this art.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back