• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who says god likes topless men but not jeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Who says god likes topless men but not jeans?

At the steps leading to the imposing Padmanabha temple in Thiruvananthapuram, one is often likely to run into a comic costume drama - panic-stricken visitors, unfamiliar with southern attire, scrambling to drape themselves in dhotis freshly brought at neighbouring shops. Tucked into the waist-belt of trousers/jeans/shorts or hurriedly tied in a knot around the salwar and pulled over the kurta, they somehow manage the farce of being dressed as per the shrine's dress code - saris for women, skirts for girls and dhotis for shirtless men.

Neethika Varma, an undergraduate student from UP, is having anxious moments making sure the dhoti over her salwar doesn't tangle underfoot during the morning puja crush. "I was worried especially as I waded through the crowds and I barely managed a darshan because I was fretting about my clothes all the time. Insisting on a strict dress code like this can be tough for visitors from far," says Varma.

Read more at: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ss-men-but-not-jeans/articleshow/50513608.cms

Baluji,
You nailed it. It is totally a farce. Man made farce, purely driven by the commercial interest.
But a similar zeal is being shown in TN. I understand the decorum of a temple, and I support it. But this is a joke.
In November 2015, the shopwalas or some other spread the rumor that one can not wrap the dhoti on top of pans. So people are caught in various stages of undress on the street. THen you have to rent a locker to store your pant. Same is true for cell phones, and purse.
I have decided that I would not enter any renowned south Indian Temple. I am happy with the Road side Ganesh or Hanuman temple.

Please do not visit temples if the dress code does not suit you because it is difficult to stop this practice in Kerala.

I have stopped visiting a few very crowded temples in Kerala just because the topless dhobbAji mAmAs dash on

everyone around with their sweaty, smelly bodies! :yuck:

P.S: I have seen many people who appear NOT to have had a bath, throng Tirupati temple and spit everywhere!

We need to learn a lot of civic sense.

Please do not visit temples if the dress code does not suit you because it is difficult to stop this practice in Kerala.I have stopped visiting a few very crowded temples in Kerala just because the topless dhobbAji mAmAs dash on everyone around with their sweaty, smelly bodies! :yuck:

Some people often visit the temples, only for that purpose of dashing and dashing against !!

Please do not visit temples if the dress code does not suit you because it is difficult to stop this practice in Kerala.

I have stopped visiting a few very crowded temples in Kerala just because the topless dhobbAji mAmAs dash on

P.S: I have seen many people who appear NOT to have had a bath, throng Tirupati temple and spit everywhere!

Be careful about pick pockets in the Tirupati Temple who brush against you! Since people carry cash for depositing in Hundial they have to be extra cautious about these petty thieves!

Be careful about pick pockets in the Tirupati Temple who brush against you! Since people carry cash for depositing in Hundial they have to be extra cautious about these petty thieves!
hi

when i visited tirupati last year ...in the long queue inside....a person lost money/credit cards/debit cards in the line inside

temple.....its common in all crowded temples....better to avoid as much as possible and extra careful in big temples....

anything may happen....

Has somebody got stay in court against dress code ?
I have seen the news in wall poster of an evening issue of paper.

Has somebody got stay in court against dress code ?
I have seen the news in wall poster of an evening issue of paper.

Yesmohan Ji,

Here is the news item:

Madras HC stays order on dress code in temples in Tamil Nadu

Chennai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday stayed its earlier order directing the Tamil Nadu government to enforce a dress code for devotees visiting temples under its control.

The High Court issued an interim stay on an appeal filed by the Tamil Nadu government against the November 2015 single-judge order to implement the dress code.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/madr...ss-code-in-temples-in-tamil-nadu-2578970.html

hi

when i visited tirupati last year ...in the long queue inside....a person lost money/credit cards/debit cards in the line inside

temple.....its common in all crowded temples....better to avoid as much as possible and extra careful in big temples....

anything may happen....

It is possible that God came in the guise of the pick pocket and collected what was due to him anyway.

Baluji,
You nailed it. It is totally a farce. Man made farce, purely driven by the commercial interest.
But a similar zeal is being shown in TN. I understand the decorum of a temple, and I support it. But this is a joke.
In November 2015, the shopwalas or some other spread the rumor that one can not wrap the dhoti on top of pans. So people are caught in various stages of undress on the street. THen you have to rent a locker to store your pant. Same is true for cell phones, and purse.
I have decided that I would not enter any renowned south Indian Temple. I am happy with the Road side Ganesh or Hanuman temple.
Nowadays I do not visit any temple at all. Earlier, when I visited Tirupati with my Dad, I almost got into a fistfight with one of the reception at a lodge over there who simply prioritized andhra-ites over us. Besides the high handed attitude of most of the priests gave me extreme distaste. If one believes in god, then the isopanishad says, he is "tad antarasya sarvasya, tad sarvasyaasya baahyataha".

Kerala is a nightmare of uncleanliness. The sense of personal and social hygience of keralites is different from the rest, I think.

Once, I along with my friend did "angapradakshinam" in guruvayoor, and after that we had to dip in the tank. I took short dips from the steps and came out; just when my friend was about to enter, one mahanubhavulu ferociously cleared his lungs and nostrils via nose and mouth, and into the tank. He then coolly proceeded to take a dip. My friend was aghast at this sight and he vowed never to even touch the water.

Nowadays I do not visit any temple at all. Earlier, when I visited Tirupati with my Dad, I almost got into a fistfight with one of the reception at a lodge over there who simply prioritized andhra-ites over us. Besides the high handed attitude of most of the priests gave me extreme distaste. If one believes in god, then the isopanishad says, he is "tad antarasya sarvasya, tad sarvasyaasya baahyataha".

Kerala is a nightmare of uncleanliness. The sense of personal and social hygience of keralites is different from the rest, I think.

Once, I along with my friend did "angapradakshinam" in guruvayoor, and after that we had to dip in the tank. I took short dips from the steps and came out; just when my friend was about to enter, one mahanubhavulu ferociously cleared his lungs and nostrils via nose and mouth, and into the tank. He then coolly proceeded to take a dip. My friend was aghast at this sight and he vowed never to even touch the water.
hi
these are very common in all big temples....just visit a small in a remote interior tamil nadu.....less ppl less problem....

more ppl ...more problem.....dont visit on festival days....i hate crowd.....there are very few nice temples on chennai's

ECR road towards mahabalipuram....

.......... Kerala is a nightmare of uncleanliness. The sense of personal and social hygience of keralites is different from the rest, I think. ......
How about other states? I have seen people spitting on the walls even while waiting in the long Qs in Tirumala temple. Many seem

NOT to have had a bath in the morning! :yuck:

Once I visited Vaitheeswaran Kovil and it seems the temple will always
be crowded! BhakthAs were breaking coconuts on the

stone pillars inside that huge temple and threw the coconut fibers (kudumi) all around. Walking over this mess was difficult.

And.... I was astonished to see some kids shitting on the prahAram, while the elders were having their food nearby! The temple

tank was muddy. God is really very very powerful because those who visit don't get sick and also the white dhotis remain white,

even after dipping in that tank!! :hail:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back