• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who is brahmanan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwin_ash

tks, you said the story was stupid, what is there to incorrectly attribute? I can easily imagine what your reaction will be if anyone responded the way you did if it was you narrating a story from some upanishad.

It seems anything outside of what you believe in is stupid, anything said in agreement of it is brilliant.....

When I was a child, my grandmother asked me to keep some dried 'darba' grass under my pillow to ward off the ill effects of the lunar eclipse occurring at that time. There were ants in the sheaves of grass, and we got bitten rather terribly. She then asked me to throw the grass out the window and said the moon is so far, it won't have an impact in any case. I innocently questioned the purpose of keeping it at all. She said she was clueless and it was passed down from the ancestors and it was a stupid practise anyway, she followed it out of rote in her own words.

That was my first lesson in rational thought, and I never subscribe to rituals to this day. My father didn't follow rituals though he did visit temples with friends or relatives in order not to offend. It boggles the mind as to how something we do on earth affects some obscure planet millions of miles off. We never had the obligatory "puja room" or some such. The best upanishad in my opinion is the book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living".

Consider y'day's Bangalore train accident. Innocents were consumed in a giant "homagundam". No "God" or "energy" could save them.

Vaagmi

When I was a child, my grandmother asked me to keep some dried 'darba' grass under my pillow to ward off the ill effects of the lunar eclipse occurring at that time. There were ants in the sheaves of grass, and we got bitten rather terribly. She then asked me to throw the grass out the window and said the moon is so far, it won't have an impact in any case. I innocently questioned the purpose of keeping it at all. She said she was clueless and it was passed down from the ancestors and it was a stupid practise anyway, she followed it out of rote in her own words.

That was my first lesson in rational thought, and I never subscribe to rituals to this day. My father didn't follow rituals though he did visit temples with friends or relatives in order not to offend. It boggles the mind as to how something we do on earth affects some obscure planet millions of miles off. We never had the obligatory "puja room" or some such. The best upanishad in my opinion is the book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living".

Consider y'day's Bangalore train accident. Innocents were consumed in a giant "homagundam". No "God" or "energy" could save them.

Dear Ashwin,

1.Ants were not an inseparable part of the Dharba grass. Your mom should have taught you to obey her instructions intelligently and not merely like a machine. You did not perhaps pick up that value sufficiently in time. Even today you have not understood the significance because you are not searching for answers and updating what you have understood. And that is another problem. I am leaving what is stupid in this context because it may lead to unnecessary attrition here. If this was the first lesson on rational thought, then I dread to think what more is there in stock.

2.Your dad went to temples in order not to offend his friends and relatives and you knew that. So you did not have an opportunity to pick up that particular value in your early life. There is nothing wrong with that per se. But to think that it is great not to go to temple, or it is great to do no puja at all is nothing but gloating in ignorance.

3.Among the B'lore train accident survivors there are many who believe that it is god who saved them. This is not to say any thing bad about those who died. Just a statement of the idiot from the last bench in the class room. LOL.

sravna

throw the grass out the window and said the moon is so far, it won't have an impact in any case

.how something we do on earth affects some obscure planet millions of miles off. ccident.

I think the above is the crux of the matter. Why do we want to think that only what is in front of our eyes means anything? Is there any rationale for that?

vgane

When something is spiritual it is perfectly balanced. For example a body that is spiritual is in a perfectly healthy state and immune to the impact of any physical or mental force however powerful they may be. This I can say from personal experience because I think and I am willing to accept the challenge too that no amount of physical force, by that I mean energy can produce any impact on me because I have made it immune to such force. I have to experiment on how the impact of matter may be neutralized. So the point is what is important is that the mind evolves and become spiritual. It can then make your body for example balanced and so on.

In the parlance of advaita the veiling effect of maya if lifted as with the mind seeing the truth, the projecting effect of maya that is the physical and mental reality can have no impact on you.

Dear Sravna,

The above part is not clear to me..Does it mean if I am highly spiritually inclined no power on earth can do anything to me ie my body, say even a Tsunami or an Earthquake 9.0 on the Richter scale

sravna

Dear Sravna,

The above part is not clear to me..Does it mean if I am highly spiritually inclined no power on earth can do anything to me ie my body, say even a Tsunami or an Earthquake 9.0 on the Richter scale

Dear Shri Vgane,

What I mean is if you are self realized the mind acquires immense power. That is in this case the mind is totally spiritual and has the ability to make anything else spiritual too. In other words it can make physical energies spiritual. When that happens the force in the physical energy goes away and hence produces no impact.

The real beauty is the mind can work on the future events and by appropriately making energies spiritual can avert any bad effects that may happen in the future.

I have tested this to a large extent and it seems to work. I had not shared this earlier with the members because it doesn't sound credible. But this is something of immense import that I am compelled to share it now especially the case that future events are out there waiting to happen and that they can be controlled by spiritual power.

As an additional note, earthquakes , cyclones etc that are potentially to happen may be controlled and may be even stopped. The farther it is in the future the more controllable it would be. Or may be there is an optimum distance in the future that it works best.

Last edited:

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Shri Vgane,

What I mean is if you are self realized the mind acquires immense power. That is in this case the mind is totally spiritual and has the ability to make anything else spiritual too. In other words it can make physical energies spiritual. When that happens the force in the physical energy goes away and hence produces no impact.

The real beauty is the mind can work on the future events and by appropriately making energies spiritual can avert any bad effects that may happen in the future.

I have tested this to a large extent and it seems to work. I had not shared this earlier with the members because it doesn't sound credible. But this is something of immense import that I am compelled to share it now especially the case that future events are out there waiting to happen and that they can be controlled by spiritual power.

As an additional note, earthquakes , cyclones etc that are potentially to happen may be controlled and may be even stopped. The farther it is in the future the more controllable it would be. Or may be there is an optimum distance in the future that it works best.

Dear Sravna,

What has this all got to do with spirituality?

As I said in an earlier post..I once thought that I wanted someone to get stuck to the chair and it actually happened!LOL Dont know if you want to call that spiritual.

BTW sometimes when I feel to lazy to make a phone call to my husband to buy some food for me etc..I do sit and think 'dear Purushan..please buy this food for me today" and invariably he will call me and ask me "would you like me to buy this food for you today?"

So you see Sravna..I dont know if this is called "spiritual" but it surely saves my phone bills!

Once I was on the way out of then house and the TV was on..I was thinking 'I am getting late and I just wish the TV would off by itself and it actually happened!

So I was thinking "hey wow..it worked" and I left for work.

I have no explanation for all these as it could be just a co incidence.

But when I was a child aged 9 ...I distinctly remember hating one teacher cos she used to always pick on me.

I would just sit and class and stare at her hoping she would catch fire but sadly she did not catch fire but I do remember her complaining that she was feeling hot..well may be it was just menopause for her!

So Sravna..frankly speaking I do not think any of these have got anything to do with Spirituality cos one can have good thoughts and also bad thoughts.

Last edited:

sravna

Dear Renuka,

I agree that there is the possibility of coincidence. but that is ruled out because these things could be done at will and every time it needs to be done. That I think is the difference between mere coincidence and causation

Please Renuka and others do not mistake me I am not here to show or boast about the power but I was only reporting something which does not normally happen.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Please Renuka and others do not mistake me I am not here to show or boast about the power but I was only reporting something which does not normally happen.

Dear Sravna,

Please do not mistake me of making fun of you...otherwise I would not have shared all the stories I just did in my post.

But Sravna..even though I have had my fair share of unexplained situations..I do not give it importance solely for the reason that we should never get carried away by anything which we can not explain.

I think Ramakrishna Paramhansa had caution those who have acquired some ability to do this and that to never to be carried away by it...that totally spells downfall for the human mind.

So the best is NEVER experiment cos we have no idea what we are dealing with.

We do not to be superman we just need to be human.

krish44

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Sravna,

Please do not mistake me of making fun of you...otherwise I would not have shared all the stories I just did in my post.

But Sravna..even though I have had my fair share of unexplained situations..I do not give it importance solely for the reason that we should never get carried away by anything which we can not explain.

I think Ramakrishna Paramhansa had caution those who have acquired some ability to do this and that to never to be carried away by it...that totally spells downfall for the human mind.

So the best is NEVER experiment cos we have no idea what we are dealing with.

We do not to be superman we just need to be human.

r ji are you pulling a fast one on sravna with your unexplained stories about mind power. sravna is getting carried away. at the same time the rationalist in you is telling you to be rational. I would not like to be in sravnas shoes LOL

Last edited:

sravna

Dear Renuka,

There is no reason why I should get carried away now or in the future. But definitely the right advice.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
r ji are you pulling a fast one on sravna with your unexplained stories about mind power. sravna is getting carried away. at the same time the rationalist in you is telling you to be rational. I would not like to be in sravnas shoes LOL

Dear Krish ji,

Nope..I am not pulling a fast one..in fact some time back I also wrote in Forum that when I used to work in a hospital and if I were on duty and I get some dreams/visions of accident victims and dead people trying to touch me and invariably when I get called to the Morgue for conducting an autopsy it will be the same people I saw in my dream. The time of the dream/vision would be much before the person died.

It used to be helpful too getting the dreams/visions cos I would actually be able to actually guess the cause of death faster than other doctors!

Dont ask me how this happens but I use this so called ability to my advantage.

Last edited:

ashwin_ash

Dear Ashwin,

1.Ants were not an inseparable part of the Dharba grass. Your mom should have taught you to obey her instructions intelligently and not merely like a machine. You did not perhaps pick up that value sufficiently in time. Even today you have not understood the significance because you are not searching for answers and updating what you have understood. And that is another problem. I am leaving what is stupid in this context because it may lead to unnecessary attrition here. If this was the first lesson on rational thought, then I dread to think what more is there in stock.

2.Your dad went to temples in order not to offend his friends and relatives and you knew that. So you did not have an opportunity to pick up that particular value in your early life. There is nothing wrong with that per se. But to think that it is great not to go to temple, or it is great to do no puja at all is nothing but gloating in ignorance.

3.Among the B'lore train accident survivors there are many who believe that it is god who saved them. This is not to say any thing bad about those who died. Just a statement of the idiot from the last bench in the class room. LOL.

The problem with most people in this forum is "Naan pudicha muyaluku moonu kaalu" attitude. Blind belief trumps all. Will your belief in a superior power/ God save you from your fate? For you too, every birthday is a step closer to the grave. Read as many upanisads vedas etc, you'll still be a pile of ashes in the end.

ashwin_ash

Dear Krish ji,

Nope..I am not pulling a fast one..in fact some time back I also wrote in Forum that when I used to work in a hospital and if I were on duty and I get some dreams/visions of accident victims and dead people trying to touch me and invariably when I get called to the Morgue for conducting an autopsy it will be the same people I saw in my dream. The time of the dream/vision would be much before the person died.

It used to be helpful too getting the dreams/visions cos I would actually be able to actually guess the cause of death faster than other doctors!

Dear Doctor,

This is what they term as 'deja vu'. Sometimes, I get the feeling that I've seen someone somewhere, or a disconcerting feeling that some event has already occurred when in fact it occured in the future.

Of course doc, it will help if you take less Vicodin or Oxycontin!!

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Doctor,

This is what they term as 'deja vu'. Sometimes, I get the feeling that I've seen someone somewhere, or a disconcerting feeling that some event has already occurred when in fact it occured in the future.

Of course doc, it will help if you take less Vicodin or Oxycontin!!

LOL!

De Ja Vu is totally different from what I described..so you better not appear in my dream..cos if you do that spells an autopsy!Ha Ha Ha

Last edited:

tks

tks,

It seems anything outside of what you believe in is stupid, anything said in agreement of it is brilliant.....

If that simplistic resolution helps you so be it - I have nothing more to add.
Please reflect how quickly you go from critique of a story to judgement of a person

Vaagmi

The problem with most people in this forum is "Naan pudicha muyaluku moonu kaalu" attitude. Blind belief trumps all. Will your belief in a superior power/ God save you from your fate? For you too, every birthday is a step closer to the grave. Read as many upanisads vedas etc, you'll still be a pile of ashes in the end.

Dear Ashwin,

OK. I agree that "neenga pudichcha muyalukku moonu kalu". What is fate? Please answer. Why should any thing save me from that thing called "fate". Is it not because you think "fate" is something horrible? What gives you the idea that fate is that bad? I do not look at life the way you look at. I do not run a race towards my grave after accepting it as the be all and end all--(goal?)-- of my existence. I enjoy the beauty of life every day every second including the beauty of it that it will all end one day here leaving an unfinished and yet beautiful painting. May be I may come back here or go somewhere else to play another glorious innings. So I play this innings with all my focus on it here and look to play the next innings somewhere else when it comes or just take rest somewhere. I was ashes and I became this and I have no worry about becoming ashes again. LOL. Upanishads and vedas interest me as much as my pet subjects Physics and philosophy. I have respect for those very fine minds which have given me the meaning of all those scriptures in their karikas, sutras and bhashyas. I am happy that I am able to understand all this and to come here and tell you this.

If you are young, please spend a lot of your time in reading. After that you will come to the conclusion that the muyal caught by you has really three legs only. Thanks.

Last edited:

Vaagmi

Dear Krish ji,

Dear Renuka,

You have perhaps that rare ability to see things in a different dimension which is not known to human mind normally. You can develop that ability and see what it is by going till the end of that road - that is if you are bold. There are methods to do that. You can start keeping notes of such episodes and then try to identify the common denominator(CD) for them. Then deliberately work with that CD and create such episodes at will. Then go further and find out how far you can go. Like Vivekananda or Paramahansa Yogananda (of the Autobiography of a Yogi fame) you may pass through a phase in which you will be terrified. BUT only you know whether you are made of that kind of stuff to withstand it. Best wishes.

ashwin_ash

Dear Ashwin,

OK. I agree that "neenga pudichcha muyalukku moonu kalu". What is fate? Please answer. Why should any thing save me from that thing called "fate". Is it not because you think "fate" is something horrible? What gives you the idea that fate is that bad? I do not look at life the way you look at. I do not run a race towards my grave after accepting it as the be all and end all--(goal?)-- of my existence. I enjoy the beauty of life every day every second including the beauty of it that it will all end one day here. May be I may come back here or go somewhere else to play another glorious innings. So I play this innings with all my focus on it here and look to play the next innings somewhere else when it comes or just take rest somewhere. I was ashes and I became this and I have no worry about becoming ashes again. LOL. Upanishads and vedas interest me as much as my pet subjects Physics and philosophy. I have respect for those very fine minds which have given me the meaning of all those scriptures in their karikas, sutras and bhashyas. I am happy that I am able to understand all this and to come here and tell you this.

If you are young, please spend a lot of your time in reading. After that you will come to the conclusion that the muyal caught by you has really three legs only. Thanks.

I appreciate your unbounded optimism. However, the world needs people like me too to point out the not so rosy side. Without a solid balancing act, the entire world will be full of pseudo-jokers with plastic smiles. Just as you expect the best, I expect the worst. And just as you think your worldview is the best, I feel there's nothing wrong in my worldview.

Nara

If that simplistic resolution helps you so be it - I have nothing more to add.
Please reflect how quickly you go from critique of a story to judgement of a person
Please, tks, don't lay this on me. You did not provide a critique, you just said it was stupid, that is all. That is why I asked for an explanation and you are continuing to refuse to provide one -- this has been your modus in the past as well on other issues of contention. This is the reason for my observation.

Tell me one thing tks, how would you feel if somebody commented in the exact cryptic way as you did (i.e. "stupid story") to a narration of yours from some upanishad you like? Would you consider such a cryptic comment a valid critique?

No it does not provide a resolution, simplistic or otherwise.

tks

Please, tks, don't lay this on me. You did not provide a critique, you just said it was stupid, that is all. That is why I asked for an explanation and you are continuing to refuse to provide one -- this has been your modus in the past as well on other issues of contention. This is the reason for my observation.

Tell me one thing tks, how would you feel if somebody commented in the exact cryptic way as you did (i.e. "stupid story") to a narration of yours from some upanishad you like? Would you consider such a cryptic comment a valid critique?

No it does not provide a resolution, simplistic or otherwise.

I have never given you a story first of all ..

If I share something it is with intent to share something without regard to how it is taken.

There is nothing called valid critique .. only mature discussion.

I am going to stop this discussion now .. you can as always have the last word and call me all kinds of names :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks