• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

When Hindus ate beef, India was NEVER conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

'There is a remarkable link between the eating of beef (or at the very least, tolerating the eating of beef) and India being a superpower.'
'In India, whenever an empire was strong, religion took a back seat.'
'Alternatively, whenever religion asserted itself, the main empire of India crumbled...'
'By seeking to ban beef in every state that it rules, the BJP may well be taking India on the route to becoming a weakling,' warns Amberish K Diwanji.

attachment.php

The Bharatiya Janata Party-led government in Maharashtra has chosen to ban beef derived from oxen.
Many are up in arms against the move, saying it is aimed at harassing the Muslims and Christians, in particular, and against all non-vegetarians in general (including Hindus) since the cost of other meat will go up with the non-availability of beef in the market. Similar steps have been taken by BJP governments in other states.
For the BJP, banning the slaughter of bulls and oxen (the killing of cows was banned decades ago by the Congress) is part of its aim to assert the nation's Hindu identity.

But the BJP also styles itself as a nationalist government committed to turning India into a superpower. It often recalls a glorious Hindu past, harking back to the likes of Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka, Chandragupta and Samudragupta, and Harshvardhan. This was in the millennium before Muslims hordes entered India (though Arabs had captured Sind in the 8th century).
The problem is that there is a remarkable link between the eating of beef (or at the very least, tolerating the eating of beef) and India being a superpower. Put another way: In India, whenever an empire was strong, religion took a back seat.
Alternatively, whenever religion asserted itself, the main empire of India crumbled and was soon destroyed by another power, either from within India or from outside India.
Today, by seeking to ban beef in every state that it rules and across India, the BJP may well be taking India on the route to becoming a weakling.
In ancient India, killing and consuming animals was part and parcel of life of all. Hindus then were overwhelmingly non-vegetarian. There are historians who have pointed out that back then Hindus ate beef. And back then, India was never conquered. Never!
Now the coincidence: As vegetarianism spread among the influential sections of the Hindus, they suffered repeated defeats. Through the second millennium CE, Hindus would never rule over the larger part of India (till 1947), and would be subjugated to empires that were created by Turks, Afghans, Mughals, Portuguese, and lastly the British.

While the Gujaratis's commercial success is undeniable, their military history is marked with failure. Gujarat (or what is now Gujarat) is one of India's most conquered states, having come under the Rajputs, Turks, Afghans, Mughals, Marathas, and finally the British. Excluding the British, the others over time became a part of the state.

While Gujarati society makes a virtue of being vegetarian, it has not helped fend off invaders.

There is nothing wrong in being vegetarian. It is every person's personal choice. There is, however, everything wrong in believing, and propagating, howsoever latently, the notion that vegetarian societies or people are superior. Or that a country is better for it.
The history of India, and Gujarat, shows that those not tolerating beef or meat, sooner or later, come under the rule of invaders. Let those who seek to ban beef realise that behind great powers have been meat consumers.

When Hindus ate beef, India was NEVER conquered - Rediff.com India News

This is a provocative article I came across. I am vegetarian, but eating habits are individuals choice.

Attachments

• 24column2.gif
    24column2.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
I dont see logic in this article.

China never used to consume that much beef in the past and mainly ate pork..still they were able to keep off being invaded.

I dont think its anything got to do with beef...its more of lack of unity.

The average Indian is very selfish and only thinks of his/her own community/caste/jati/varna whatever we would like to call it.

When there is no unity...even a mighty warrior can not function.

China never used to consume that much beef in the past and mainly ate pork..still they were able to keep off being invaded.

The average Indian is very selfish and only thinks of his/her own community/caste/jati/varna whatever we would like to call it.

China was enslaved by Japan, Mongolia etc.

Absolutely..The current Government is trying to unite Indians under the umbrella of Hindutva..They are not divisive

The earlier Government was anti Hindu & that was not doing any good to the country!

Read this snippet:

Muslim activist recites Gau Katha in Kashi, supports cow protection - The Times of India

Who cares whether there is any logic in the article. The article has some advice for the BJP government.. By extension BJP means VHP & RSS or some vaguely unclariified unidentified **fringe elements or Hindutva vadis** and by extrapolation it means all Indians, sans a few enlightened souls who have procured **Enlightenment Passes** available at the KFC outlets in USA & Canada. So it deserves a place in the "Enlighten India" series.

Last edited:
China was enslaved by Japan, Mongolia etc.

Ok that means there is something that beef confers that makes people more able to defend themselves!LOL

But the cow/bull is quite a docile animal and loses out to any predator cat!

So in that case why dont we humans just eat tigers and lions? Shouldnt that make us the bravest of the lot?

we the Hindus only fight each other; that is the reason we r always bullied and subdued. we feel we r great thinkers. take muslims; they r united. when we Hindus become one then only nobody can take us for granted. I read the above with dismay. I am sorry. - srinivasan

I do not believe that the article is factual in some aspects.
For instance entire Africa was colonized, and most of the African countries and tribes are beef and meat eaters.
Alexander was able to overtake the Middle-east including Iran, and they were meat eaters.
Similarly most of Europe including UK was colonized by the Romans.
But on the other hand a country made of pacifist or Satvic food eaters would be overtaken by others with might.
We need the Rajasic-food eaters to protect our country.

But still the argument made in the article has some element of truth.

Last edited:
First of all, there is no unified Hindu religion, right from the day we have records, following common customs and practices.

When kings ruled various parts of the the country, they were not known to modern warfare. So, when enemy entered, the kings indulged in outdated war methods and ultimately faced defeat and in the process lost the space.

If beef eaters will prevent foreign invasion, how was it that Moghuls failed to stop Britishers?

It seems the writer is desperate to make Hindus as beef eaters, by illogical methods.

If I am not mistaken..I think Swami Vivekananda said the same thing about Rajasic eaters to protect the country.

I thought I made an original comment, sorry the statement was made by Swami Vivekananda too. May be by hyphenated word makes it unique enough so the site police would not jump on me. LOL

I thought I made an original comment, sorry the statement was made by Swami Vivekananda too. May be by hyphenated word makes it unique enough so the site police would not jump on me. LOL

Great minds think alike!LOL

BTW here is some fuel to add to the fire!

practice - Why are hindus not allowed to eat beef? - Hinduism Stack Exchange

Manusmriti (chapter5/verse30) :
"It is not sinful to eat meat of eatable animals,for God has created both the eaters and the eatables".

Aapastanba Grishsutram(1/3/10) :
"The cow should be slaughtered on the arrival of a guest, on the occasion of 'Shraaddha of ancestors and on the occasion of a marriage".

Rigveda (10/85/13) :
"On the occasion of a girls marriage oxen and cows are slaughtered".

Rigveda (6/17/1) :
"Indra used to eat the meat of cow, calf, horse and buffalo". Vashishta Dharmasutra (11/34):says,If a Brahmin refuses to eat the meat offered to him on the occasion of ,'Shraaddha' he goes to hell".

Hinduisms great propagator Swami Vivekaanand :
"You will be surprised to know that according to ancient Hindu rite and rituals, a man cannot be a good Hindu who does not eat beef ".

(The complete works of Swami Vivekanand vol : 3/5/36)
"The book The history and culture of the indian people" published by Bharatiya vidya bhawan,bombay and edited by renowned historian R C Majumdar (vol 2 ,page 18 says)This is said in the mahabharata that "king Ratinder used to kill 2000 other animals in addition to 2000 cows daily in order to give their meat in charity".

Aadi shankaraachaarya commentary on Brahadaranyakopanishad 6/4/18 :
'Odaan' rice mixed with meat is called 'maansodan' on being asked whose meat it should be, he answers 'Uksha' is used for an ox, which is capable to produce semen

"It is not sinful to eat meat of eatable animals,for God has created both the eaters and the eatables".

"The cow should be slaughtered on the arrival of a guest, on the occasion of 'Shraaddha of ancestors and on the occasion of a marriage".

Rigveda (10/85/13) :

Rigveda (6/17/1) :
"Indra used to eat the meat of cow, calf, horse and buffalo". Vashishta Dharmasutra (11/34):says,If a Brahmin refuses to eat the meat offered to him on the occasion of ,'Shraaddha' he goes to hell".

"You will be surprised to know that according to ancient Hindu rite and rituals, a man cannot be a good Hindu who does not eat beef ".

"The book The history and culture of the indian people" published by Bharatiya vidya bhawan,bombay and edited by renowned historian R C Majumdar (vol 2 ,page 18 says)This is said in the mahabharata that "king Ratinder used to kill 2000 other animals in addition to 2000 cows daily in order to give their meat in charity".

'Odaan' rice mixed with meat is called 'maansodan' on being asked whose meat it should be, he answers 'Uksha' is used for an ox, which is capable to produce semen

:) :) :)

Ok that means there is something that beef confers that makes people more able to defend themselves!LOL

So in that case why dont we humans just eat tigers and lions? Shouldnt that make us the bravest of the lot?

We should eat other humans. After all, we want to dominate and hurt other humans only :)

Rigveda (10/85/13) :

Rigveda (6/17/1) :

We can follow Mahathma Gandhi in following Vegetarianism rather than agreeing to all these unacceptable life killing or hurting texts!

We can follow Mahathma Gandhi in following Vegetarianism rather than agreeing to all these unacceptable life killing or hurting texts!

Vegetarianism existed even before Mahatma Gandhi..why should he be a role model for anyone on this issue?

One just needs to listen to his/her body...if your body seeks a Non Veg diet..so be it..if the body seeks a Veg diet so be it.

Forcing anyone to be Veg or Non Veg will only lead to disastrous consequences.

I feel we humans should learn to realize that there is no One Diet Fits All humans.

Each one of us have different needs and requirements.

I surely do not expect an Eskimo living in the Artic to be a vegetarian.

The logic appears to be:

Hindus (not Indians) ate beef. So they were not conquered.

when i was reading this loudly for my wife who was busy cooking her erisery for the day, the cuckoo sitting in the tree outside intervened and said "Hindus had only kudumi those days. They never used to trim their hairs on their scalp. So they were never conquered".

Oh what a gem!! and the erisery was very tasty. LOL.

Vegetarianism is a relic of Jain influence on Hinduism. Despite the minority status of Jainism, it was successful in that it managed to change the Hindus in several ways. You would be surprised how much an "orthodox" TB has in common with a Jain from Rajasthan. That being said, this article is nonsense. Sikh religion advocates (though does not enforce) vegetarianism. A gurudwara will never serve non-vegetarian food. Sikhs were fiercely vegetarian until very recently, and at least half of the current Sikh population is still vegetarian. Yet, history shows us that Sikhs did in fact fight bravely and ward off invaders from the nation. So, in short, this guy was probably drunk and writing an article while drugged out. There, I said it.

Rigveda (10/85/13) :

Rigveda (6/17/1) :

There is nothing to laugh about or giggle on this! There have been researches which shows that all this is contorted..Can you also post the comments shared..One such gem is below:

MISCONCEPTION 3:- Violence against animals; meet eating, etc
A) Rigveda (10/85/13) declares, “On the occasion of a girl’s marriage oxen and cows are slaughtered.” Fact: The mantra states that in winter, the rays of sun get weakened and then get strong again in spring. The word used for sun-rays in ‘Go’ which also means cow and hence the mantra can also be translated by making ‘cow’ and not ‘sun-rays’ as the subject. The word used for ‘weakened’ is ‘Hanyate’ which can also mean killing. But if that be so, why would the mantra go further and state in next line (which is deliberately not translated) that in spring, they start regaining their original form. How can a cow killed in winter regain its health in spring? This amply proves how ignorant and biased communists malign Vedas.
B) Rigveda (6/17/1) states that “Indra used to eat the meat of cow, calf, horse and buffalo.” (translation by Avatar Gill and group)
Fact: The mantra states that brilliant scholars enlighten the world in the manner that wood enhances the fire of Yajna. We fail to understand from where did Avtar Gill and his friends discover Indra, cow, calf, horse and buffalo in this mantra! Also, there is a word "Gavyam", which are five in numbers according to Aayurved-cow's milk, curd, butter, Mutra and Apashisht. Where does the flesh come into the picture? Mantra clearly says that the king should be well built through Saatvik bhojan like Ghrit, so that he can defend his country and kill the monsters.
C)Manusmriti contains violence against animals Fact:- Unfortunately, most of the vedic texts in the last 1000 years have been adulterated. Though much work has been done in cleansing these texts in the last 100 years, still the adulterated ones remain in circulation. These adulterated texts are great source of misconceptions. Purana and Bhaagvat (not bhagvad geeta) is perhaps the most adulterated (we doubt even its basic writing as many portions of it are Avedic), which is beyond repair. Any reference to such cannot be taken as proof of Vedic Granth containing barbarism.
Example, you would come accross some reference from adulterated Manusmriti, containing Violence against animals like:-
Manusmriti (Chapter 5 / Verse 30) says, “It is not sinful to eat meat of eatable animals, for Brahma has created both the eaters and the eatables.”
Manusmriti (5 / 35) states: When a man who is properly engaged in a ritual does not eat meat, after his death he will become a sacrificial animal during twenty-one rebirths. These are additional shlokas are either from adulterated Manu Smriti or misinterpreted by twisting of words. We recommend them to read Manu Smriti by Dr Surendra Kumar which is available from Vedic Books - Books on India, Its Culture and Heritage.
D) Ramayan contains Violence in Ashwamedha Fact:- The Ramayan we get today is a much interpolated text. Many verses have been added later on and that can be checked with a close scrutiny. The Uttar Ramayan, which contains the reference to Ashwamedha, can be proved to be a later addition by even a layman. No mantra in Vedas refer to any form of animal sacrifice. All those mantras which are alleged to have animal sacrifice, can be easily proved to mean something else, if we look at context and root meanings of the words, as used in ancient texts of grammar and vocabulary. Many of these come from misinterpretation from translations of Sayana and Mahidhar who were born in around 15th century. These translations were then publicized by western indologists. But if you look at ancient translations, and references in other books like Shatpath, Nirukta, Nighantu etc, one can easily understand the truth. Infact, Ashwamedha means efforts to make nation better and has nothing to do with horse.
E) Some Hindu Philosophers have told that Hinduism permit meat eating Fact:- Many people quote those, who may be good though one subject (like Yoga) but may not have credible understanding of the Vedas. These quotations are widely used to prove that Vedas prescribe barbaric things like Violence against animals and women, etc but the users of these quotations are unable to provide real proofs (directly from the Vedas and Vedic Granth). Also, we are not sure that these people have really made such comments or not:- • Swami Vivekanand said: “You will be surprised to know that according to ancient Hindu rites and rituals, a man cannot be a good Hindu who does not eat beef”. (The Complete Works of Swami Vivekanand, vol.3, p. 536). • Mukandilal writes in his book ‘Cow Slaughter – Horns of a Dilemma’, page 18: “In ancient India, cow-slaughter was considered auspicious on the occasions of some ceremonies. Bride and groom used to sit on the hide of a red ox in front of the ‘Vedi’ (alter).” • A scholar of scriptures Dr. Pandurang Vaman Kane says, “Bajsancyi Samhita sanctifies beef-eating because of its purity”. (Dharmashastra Vichar Marathi, page 180) • Adi Shankaracharya’ commentary on Brihdaranyakopanishad 6/4/18 says : ‘Odan’ (rice) mixed with meat is called ‘Mansodan’. On being asked whose meat it should be, he answers ‘Uksha’. ‘Uksha’ is used for an ox, which is capable to produce semen. • The book ‘The History and Culture of the Indian People’, published by Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan, Bombay and edited by renowned historian R.C.Majumdar (Vol.2, page 578) says: “this is said in the Mahabharat that King Rantidev used to kill two thousand other animals in addition to two thousand cows daily in order to give their meat in charity”.
Some translators have fallen prey to wrong interpretation of the language. A typical example of foul play by some hell-bent on justifying their obsession with beef in ancient texts, is to translate Mansa as ‘meat’. In reality, ‘Mansa’ is a generic word used to denote pulp. Meat is called ‘Mansa’ because it is pulpy. So mere presence of ‘Mansa’ does not mean it refers to meat. Now, lets see, how a pure mind would read the following lines from Shatpath Brahmin (3/1/2/21) by Maharishi Yagyavalkya:- “I eat Mansa because it is very soft and delicious.” Infact, reading the whole passage containing this verse, one would know that the passage is factually opposing meat eating.
Similar injustice can be found, after reading with a pure mind and correct reference, on the following misconceptions:- Apastamb Grihsutram (1/3/10) says, “The cow should be slaughtered on the arrival of a guest, on the occasion of ‘Shraddha’ of ancestors and on the occasion of a marriage.” Vashistha Dharmasutra (11/34) writes, “If a Brahmin refuses to eat the meat offered to him on the occasion of ‘Shraddha’ or worship, he goes to hell.”
F) Ashwa Medha, Gomedha Yajna and Naramedha Yajna are example of violence Fact:- One of the biggest accusation of cattle and cow slaughter comes in the context of the Yajnas that derived their names from different cattle like the Ashwamedh Yajna, the Gomedha Yajna and the Nar-medh Yajna. Even by the wildest stretch of the imagination the word Medha would not mean slaughter in this context.
It’s interesting to note what Yajurveda says about a horse ——————————————————– Imam ma himsirekashafam pashum kanikradam vaajinam vaajineshu Yajurveda 13.48. Do not slaughter this one hoofed animal that neighs and who goes with a speed faster than most of the animals. ———————————————————-
Aswamedha does not mean horse sacrifice at Yajna. Instead the Yajurveda clearly mentions that a horse ought not to be slaughtered. In Shathapatha, Ashwa is a word for the nation or empire. The word medha does not mean slaughter. It denotes an act done in accordance to the intellect Alternatively it could mean consolidation, as evident from the root meaning of medha i.e. medhru san-ga-me
Raashtram vaa ashwamedhah Annam hi gau Agnirvaa ashwah Aajyam medhah (Shatpath 13.1.6.3)
Swami Dayananda Saraswati wrote in his Light of Truth:A Yajna dedicated to the glory, wellbeing and prosperity of the Rashtra the nation or empire is known as the Ashwamedh yajna. “To keep the food pure or to keep the senses under control, or to make the food pure or to make a good use of the rays of Sun or keep the earth free from impurities[clean] is called Gomedha Yajna”. “The word Gau also means the Earth and the yajna dedicated to keep the Earth the environment clean is called Gomedha Yajna”. “The cremation of the body of a dead person in accordance with the principles laid down in the Vedas is called Naramedha Yajna”.
G) Honey and Milk are animal products, so why not meat?
Another type of misconception has aroused because of change in the technique of doing things. For example, it is common to see violence on Cows (injection, etc) whilst extracting milk. This experience read with Vedas saying that "Milk is good" will create confusion in the minds of the ignorant. Vedas not only suggests on extracting the milk from Cow, but also suggests to do so with love and care. Another example would be honey. Extracting honey is like snatching away bees' food. But that's not the intent. Honey can be extracted without harming the bees [For large scale production, honey is collected in a smart way. There are wooden boxes of certain height and bees collect their honey inside it. As soon as level of honey reaches the height of box, it starts flowing down through the outer wall of box and is collected. So only extra honey, which was not essential for bees is collected and thus it can be consumed.]
Meat on the other hand cannot be obtained by love and care from living animals. Moreover, according to the ayurveda, human body is suitable for only vegetarian food.

MISCONCEPTION 3:- Violence against animals; meet eating, etc - VedicGranth.Org

There is nothing to laugh about or giggle on this! There have been researches which shows that all this is contorted..Can you also post the comments shared..One such gem is below:

MISCONCEPTION 3:- Violence against animals; meet eating, etc
A) Rigveda (10/85/13) declares, “On the occasion of a girl’s marriage oxen and cows are slaughtered.” Fact: The mantra states that in winter, the rays of sun get weakened and then get strong again in spring. The word used for sun-rays in ‘Go’ which also means cow and hence the mantra can also be translated by making ‘cow’ and not ‘sun-rays’ as the subject. The word used for ‘weakened’ is ‘Hanyate’ which can also mean killing. But if that be so, why would the mantra go further and state in next line (which is deliberately not translated) that in spring, they start regaining their original form. How can a cow killed in winter regain its health in spring? This amply proves how ignorant and biased communists malign Vedas.
B) Rigveda (6/17/1) states that “Indra used to eat the meat of cow, calf, horse and buffalo.” (translation by Avatar Gill and group)
Fact: The mantra states that brilliant scholars enlighten the world in the manner that wood enhances the fire of Yajna. We fail to understand from where did Avtar Gill and his friends discover Indra, cow, calf, horse and buffalo in this mantra! Also, there is a word "Gavyam", which are five in numbers according to Aayurved-cow's milk, curd, butter, Mutra and Apashisht. Where does the flesh come into the picture? Mantra clearly says that the king should be well built through Saatvik bhojan like Ghrit, so that he can defend his country and kill the monsters.
C)Manusmriti contains violence against animals Fact:- Unfortunately, most of the vedic texts in the last 1000 years have been adulterated. Though much work has been done in cleansing these texts in the last 100 years, still the adulterated ones remain in circulation. These adulterated texts are great source of misconceptions. Purana and Bhaagvat (not bhagvad geeta) is perhaps the most adulterated (we doubt even its basic writing as many portions of it are Avedic), which is beyond repair. Any reference to such cannot be taken as proof of Vedic Granth containing barbarism.
Example, you would come accross some reference from adulterated Manusmriti, containing Violence against animals like:-
Manusmriti (Chapter 5 / Verse 30) says, “It is not sinful to eat meat of eatable animals, for Brahma has created both the eaters and the eatables.”
Manusmriti (5 / 35) states: When a man who is properly engaged in a ritual does not eat meat, after his death he will become a sacrificial animal during twenty-one rebirths. These are additional shlokas are either from adulterated Manu Smriti or misinterpreted by twisting of words. We recommend them to read Manu Smriti by Dr Surendra Kumar which is available from Vedic Books - Books on India, Its Culture and Heritage.
D) Ramayan contains Violence in Ashwamedha Fact:- The Ramayan we get today is a much interpolated text. Many verses have been added later on and that can be checked with a close scrutiny. The Uttar Ramayan, which contains the reference to Ashwamedha, can be proved to be a later addition by even a layman. No mantra in Vedas refer to any form of animal sacrifice. All those mantras which are alleged to have animal sacrifice, can be easily proved to mean something else, if we look at context and root meanings of the words, as used in ancient texts of grammar and vocabulary. Many of these come from misinterpretation from translations of Sayana and Mahidhar who were born in around 15th century. These translations were then publicized by western indologists. But if you look at ancient translations, and references in other books like Shatpath, Nirukta, Nighantu etc, one can easily understand the truth. Infact, Ashwamedha means efforts to make nation better and has nothing to do with horse.
E) Some Hindu Philosophers have told that Hinduism permit meat eating Fact:- Many people quote those, who may be good though one subject (like Yoga) but may not have credible understanding of the Vedas. These quotations are widely used to prove that Vedas prescribe barbaric things like Violence against animals and women, etc but the users of these quotations are unable to provide real proofs (directly from the Vedas and Vedic Granth). Also, we are not sure that these people have really made such comments or not:- • Swami Vivekanand said: “You will be surprised to know that according to ancient Hindu rites and rituals, a man cannot be a good Hindu who does not eat beef”. (The Complete Works of Swami Vivekanand, vol.3, p. 536). • Mukandilal writes in his book ‘Cow Slaughter – Horns of a Dilemma’, page 18: “In ancient India, cow-slaughter was considered auspicious on the occasions of some ceremonies. Bride and groom used to sit on the hide of a red ox in front of the ‘Vedi’ (alter).” • A scholar of scriptures Dr. Pandurang Vaman Kane says, “Bajsancyi Samhita sanctifies beef-eating because of its purity”. (Dharmashastra Vichar Marathi, page 180) • Adi Shankaracharya’ commentary on Brihdaranyakopanishad 6/4/18 says : ‘Odan’ (rice) mixed with meat is called ‘Mansodan’. On being asked whose meat it should be, he answers ‘Uksha’. ‘Uksha’ is used for an ox, which is capable to produce semen. • The book ‘The History and Culture of the Indian People’, published by Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan, Bombay and edited by renowned historian R.C.Majumdar (Vol.2, page 578) says: “this is said in the Mahabharat that King Rantidev used to kill two thousand other animals in addition to two thousand cows daily in order to give their meat in charity”.
Some translators have fallen prey to wrong interpretation of the language. A typical example of foul play by some hell-bent on justifying their obsession with beef in ancient texts, is to translate Mansa as ‘meat’. In reality, ‘Mansa’ is a generic word used to denote pulp. Meat is called ‘Mansa’ because it is pulpy. So mere presence of ‘Mansa’ does not mean it refers to meat. Now, lets see, how a pure mind would read the following lines from Shatpath Brahmin (3/1/2/21) by Maharishi Yagyavalkya:- “I eat Mansa because it is very soft and delicious.” Infact, reading the whole passage containing this verse, one would know that the passage is factually opposing meat eating.
Similar injustice can be found, after reading with a pure mind and correct reference, on the following misconceptions:- Apastamb Grihsutram (1/3/10) says, “The cow should be slaughtered on the arrival of a guest, on the occasion of ‘Shraddha’ of ancestors and on the occasion of a marriage.” Vashistha Dharmasutra (11/34) writes, “If a Brahmin refuses to eat the meat offered to him on the occasion of ‘Shraddha’ or worship, he goes to hell.”
F) Ashwa Medha, Gomedha Yajna and Naramedha Yajna are example of violence Fact:- One of the biggest accusation of cattle and cow slaughter comes in the context of the Yajnas that derived their names from different cattle like the Ashwamedh Yajna, the Gomedha Yajna and the Nar-medh Yajna. Even by the wildest stretch of the imagination the word Medha would not mean slaughter in this context.
It’s interesting to note what Yajurveda says about a horse ——————————————————– Imam ma himsirekashafam pashum kanikradam vaajinam vaajineshu Yajurveda 13.48. Do not slaughter this one hoofed animal that neighs and who goes with a speed faster than most of the animals. ———————————————————-
Aswamedha does not mean horse sacrifice at Yajna. Instead the Yajurveda clearly mentions that a horse ought not to be slaughtered. In Shathapatha, Ashwa is a word for the nation or empire. The word medha does not mean slaughter. It denotes an act done in accordance to the intellect Alternatively it could mean consolidation, as evident from the root meaning of medha i.e. medhru san-ga-me
Raashtram vaa ashwamedhah Annam hi gau Agnirvaa ashwah Aajyam medhah (Shatpath 13.1.6.3)
Swami Dayananda Saraswati wrote in his Light of Truth:A Yajna dedicated to the glory, wellbeing and prosperity of the Rashtra the nation or empire is known as the Ashwamedh yajna. “To keep the food pure or to keep the senses under control, or to make the food pure or to make a good use of the rays of Sun or keep the earth free from impurities[clean] is called Gomedha Yajna”. “The word Gau also means the Earth and the yajna dedicated to keep the Earth the environment clean is called Gomedha Yajna”. “The cremation of the body of a dead person in accordance with the principles laid down in the Vedas is called Naramedha Yajna”.
G) Honey and Milk are animal products, so why not meat?
Another type of misconception has aroused because of change in the technique of doing things. For example, it is common to see violence on Cows (injection, etc) whilst extracting milk. This experience read with Vedas saying that "Milk is good" will create confusion in the minds of the ignorant. Vedas not only suggests on extracting the milk from Cow, but also suggests to do so with love and care. Another example would be honey. Extracting honey is like snatching away bees' food. But that's not the intent. Honey can be extracted without harming the bees [For large scale production, honey is collected in a smart way. There are wooden boxes of certain height and bees collect their honey inside it. As soon as level of honey reaches the height of box, it starts flowing down through the outer wall of box and is collected. So only extra honey, which was not essential for bees is collected and thus it can be consumed.]
Meat on the other hand cannot be obtained by love and care from living animals. Moreover, according to the ayurveda, human body is suitable for only vegetarian food.

MISCONCEPTION 3:- Violence against animals; meet eating, etc - VedicGranth.Org

Vgane ji,

That was an informative write up. But for the meat-eaters and those who would like to homogenise the world population with meat eaters, these arguments would not be acceptable. They have their own logic and belief. No use banging your head against these stone walls. My method is the best:

Hindus were conquered because they gave up their kudumi. LOL.

A new reason my cuckoo has found to day is this: Hindus wore kaubeenam in old days. They switched over to panties and stitched undergarments and that is the major reason for why they lost to invaders. LOL.

Vgane ji,

That was an informative write up. But for the meat-eaters and those who would like to homogenise the world population with meat eaters, these arguments would not be acceptable. They have their own logic and belief. No use banging your head against these stone walls. My method is the best:

Hindus were conquered because they gave up their kudumi. LOL.

A new reason my cuckoo has found to day is this: Hindus wore kaubeenam in old days. They switched over to panties and stitched undergarments and that is the major reason for why they lost to invaders. LOL.

icon7.png
icon7.png
icon7.png

You have a point...a Kaupeenam is loose ...it does not restrict blood flow..so one is free to rise to all occasions..one the other hand..stitched undergarments are slightly restrictive to blood flow...there is an unproven theory that the male species does not really use grey matter to think but uses the matter that can produce various shades of grey!
True freedom is when the other "mind" is totally free..therefore people did not fall prey to invaders back then!LOL

Last edited:
You have a point...a Kaupeenam is loose where and does not restrict blood flow..so one is free to rise to all occasions..one the other hand..stitched undergarments are slightly restrictive to blood flow...there is an unproven theory that the male species does not really use grey matter to think but uses the matter that can produce various shades of grey!
True freedom is when the other "mind" is totally free..therefore people did not fall prey to invaders back then!LOL

Siva Sivaaa!! I read the post at least four times. No use. I could not get what you want to say/convey. A bhashyam please,.... at least from the third line onwards. LOL.

Siva Sivaaa!! I read the post at least four times. No use. I could not get what you want to say/convey. A bhashyam please,.... at least from the third line onwards. LOL.

Narayana!

Its clear enough yaar..I cant get more explicit than this..I will get banned!LOL

Think hard yaar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back