• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What I learned growing up with a devout Hindu mom — and an atheist dad who made fun o

Status
Not open for further replies.

krish44

Gold Member
Gold Member
even in dakshineshwar temple in kolkatta , one can see goats tied for slaughter.

I happen to go there when there was no slaughter though.

One could see dried blood on bali peetam

could make stomach turn.

gone to kalighat and gauhati temples and seen similar sights.gauhati temple happens to be sakthi peetam revered by hindus

one loses faith in temple worship on seeing such things

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Only for three days in a year, devotees are not allowed inside Devi Kamakya temple. 'Ambubachi mela' is an yearly celebration.

Here is some more info. from Wiki:

''The temple remains closed for three days during the mela for it is believed that mother earth becomes unclean for three days like the

traditional women's menstrual seclusion. During these three days some restrictions are observed by the devotees like not cooking, not

performing puja or reading holy books, no farming etc.
After three days devi Kamakhya is bathed and other rituals are performed to

ensure that the devi retrieves her purity.
Then the doors of the temple are reopened and prasad is distributed. On the fourth day the

devotees are allowed to enter the temple and worship devi Kamakhya.''

I was told that the water flowing at the sanctum sanctorum turns red on those three days and the stained cloth covering is

cut into small pieces and distributed to the devotees who believe that it brings prosperity, if kept in the 'safe' in the house. :)

S

sudeshwer

Raji Ram Ji, y shud be correct; three days in a year, not in a month. I havent heard or seen Bali in Dakshineshwer temple. almost every sunday I used to go to Dakshineshwer temple, spend some time, from there take a boat to Belur Matt, the otherside of the Hooghly river and sit for atleast one hour in front of Swami Vivekanda statue. possibly they do bali at Dakshineshwer temple early in the morning - srinivasan

S

sudeshwer

krish44, when I was young, around 7/8 years old, 'yagam' used to be conducted when goat bali is to be given, I remember. at that time of bali, young, ladies etc were asked to go somewhere. I was too young to understand anything; even if one ask reason, they r silenced - srinivasan

krish44

Gold Member
Gold Member
Raji Ram Ji, y shud be correct; three days in a year, not in a month. I havent heard or seen Bali in Dakshineshwer temple. almost every sunday I used to go to Dakshineshwer temple, spend some time, from there take a boat to Belur Matt, the otherside of the Hooghly river and sit for atleast one hour in front of Swami Vivekanda statue. possibly they do bali at Dakshineshwer temple early in the morning - srinivasan
sudeshwarji
belur math is a great place on the banks of hooghly. I spent the day of holi there last year.

It is great fun to see the merriment and colour on holi

krish44

Gold Member
Gold Member
krish44, when I was young, around 7/8 years old, 'yagam' used to be conducted when goat bali is to be given, I remember. at that time of bali, young, ladies etc were asked to go somewhere. I was too young to understand anything; even if one ask reason, they r silenced - srinivasan
thanks for info. sharing.

more than the bali , the wail and the stink of splutterred blood makes one vomit .

auh

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I think I know what you are trying to convey!LOL

But I dont think compassion has anything got to do with genes.

In India I have seen persons who supposedly carrying the "V" gene hit dogs with sticks and carry on reciting mantras! This happened at a pilgrimage site.

There are humans from all races and religions that cant stand the sight of animals or humans being killed.

BTW just to share..I once saw a few young women aged 20's watching a video on their smart phone and they asked me to see it.

I did not know what it was but since they seemed so cool watching it I guess it must be some fun filled video and to my horror it was a video of a person being slowly beheaded!

I then asked them if they did not feel anything and they replied that the person was not their race so they did not feel anything!..they only had compassion for their own kind.

The whole day I was so down after seeing that video that I was even feeling guilty of being alive.

Now..some more stories....I have even had faced a situation once where one whole family had met with an accident and 2 were dead and rest were critically injured and I requested for another doctor to come help and it was late night and his wife called me to ask me 'what race were the victims".

I got real mad and I told her to tell her husband to come right away!

Then when he came and he saw that the victims were his own race he was was feeling totally emotional.

So you see ..Vaagmi ji...how does the Gene theory apply here?

How is it that some people can feel compassion only for the own kind and others feel compassion for anyone?

Becos if the gene theory is right..there should only be 2 types of people..those who feel compassion and those who do NOT feel compassion at all for anyone.

But how come there is a 3rd group that feels compassion only for their own kind?

It clearly shows environmental factors and extrinsic exposure plays an important role.

Dear doc,

I think there was a discussion earlier in this forum about the influence of exercise on genes which also interacted with the external environment.

Similarly, why cannot thinking, practices and behaviour have an impact on genes. While admitting that there is no concrete proof to this, it is an interesting line of thought and need not be brushed away.

Also, it does not necessarily follow that for a gene theory to be right there should be a binary result. Influence at the gene level is only one aspect and there are very many other variables that also have a stake in the mindset of an individual.

One of my office colleagues showed me a photo of a girl who had her head squashed by a lorry and I was horrified that such pics could be floating on whatsapp. While there is a possibility that genes provide the foundation, there is also the construction (I am drawing a parallel of the human mind to that of a building here) to be made that is entirely based on the "environmental factors"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks