• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What I learned growing up with a devout Hindu mom — and an atheist dad who made fun o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,

In all tambram houses, the pious ladies keep at least a glass of milk with added sugar as neivEdhyam, every day.

Fruits are kept for neivEdhyam before we eat. All special days have special food items to be prepared and those

who don't know to prepare it / them, replace with any type of pAyasam they know to prepare. :)

On a lighter vein, there is an adage which starts, 'uNdu kettAn pA--An; uduththuk kettAn ......... ' :becky:
I think lot of dilution has taken place in mode of worship.

now worship with neivedhyam is only on special days.

most have reduced their commitment to regular worship of Gods .

While visiting a temple or elders, we always take fruits and don't go empty handed.

dear RR ji,

I have been to temple absolutely empty handed but I am generous on dakshina to the priest.

While visiting elders I never bring stuff that can shoot up their blood sugar levels.Most fruits have a high content of fructose.

I think lot of dilution has taken place in mode of worship.

now worship with neivedhyam is only on special days.

most have reduced their commitment to regular worship of Gods .

dear Krish ji,

People have become diet conscious hence less Naivedhyam. Humans in the past found the slightest excuse to EAT but kept saying its for God!LOL

dear Krish ji,

People have become diet conscious hence less Naivedhyam. Humans in the past found the slightest excuse to EAT but kept saying its for God!LOL
no it is not diet . it is paucity of time for working ladies.
south indian ladies in general think very little about figure or diet.
of course we are still khate peethe log

............ I have been to temple absolutely empty handed but I am generous on dakshina to the priest.

While visiting elders I never bring stuff that can shoot up their blood sugar levels.Most fruits have a high content of fructose.
Dear Renu,

I know that you don't follow any protocol but you are conservative! :D

....... People have become diet conscious hence less Naivedhyam. Humans in the past found the slightest excuse to EAT but kept saying its for God!LOL
:nono: , Renu!

We keep the cooked rice with some dhal and a drop of ghee as neivEdhyam everyday. :)

Raji Ram Ji, when I was in Calcutta from 1956 to 1961 I used to visit Kalighat Sri Kali Temple very early morning but at that time 'bali' of goat used to take place and its blood gets sprayed at the Goddess. after sometime I stopped visiting the temple as I couldnt stand that scene - srinivasan

The bali is given at Kamakya temple at Guwahati also. We saw a number of helpless goats, most of them very young, being dragged

on the steps of the temple. We had the dharshan of the deity and rushed back to the hotel, without even doing the pradhakshiNam!

Our visit to Kali temple at Kolkata was around noon. We returned without going round the temple, not willing to see any kind of bali. :sad:

Dear RR ji,

Do not ever see a goat being slaughtered in a Kali temple.I once witnessed goat slaughtering as I was not aware that the temple included goat slaughtering as its ritual and I just could not stand the sight and turned my face away feeling real tense and then a small little girl aged within 5-6 years told me politely to move a little so that she could see the goat being slaughtered.

I was so shocked to see that a young kid could see killing that I fainted flat.Thank God my brother caught me on time and took me home right away.

All the way he kept asking me..how come you can do autopsies but yet you fainted in the temple?

I told him "on autopsy table the person is already dead..I do not witness killing"

So RR ji..believe me its not worth watching a goat being slaughtered.The poor things are dragged and they resists so much and people spray turmeric water on the face of the goat and when it shakes the water off they proclaim the goat has given consent!

They just make a mockery out of religion..its a normal reflex of a goat to shake its head when sprayed with water cos goats are not fond of water.

Renukaji,

I once witnessed goat slaughtering as I was not aware that the temple included goat slaughtering as its ritual and I just could not stand the sight and turned my face away feeling real tense and then a small little girl aged within 5-6 years told me politely to move a little so that she could see the goat being slaughtered.
I was so shocked to see that a young kid could see killing that I fainted flat.

Again Vaagmi's friend Anthropologist Robert Boyd of UCLA stands vindicated. Read the following story which I have repeated atleast twice in this forum:

Scene 1: A young girl-25 years old and working in a MNC-is returning home in her car in the night. As she drives the car herself she comes across a stretch of poorly lit road. as the car is moving she saw a cat darting across the road in the light coming from the head lights of the car. and soon she hears a thud. Fearing that she might have injured the cat the girl brakes and stops the car. Gets down from the car goes round and searches for the cat and finds no cat. She feels sad that the cat might have got hurt and might have fled. She comes home and spends a sleepless night thinking about the hurt cat. She feels miserable about the episode and prays to God that the cat be spared the pain and death.

Scene 2: A young boy about 12 years old is playing with chickens in the neighbour's house. He obviously love those chicks. he speaks with them, laughs with them, feeds them with grains runs with them in a mock running race, takes one of them and kisses it as an expression of his love. Even as he plays with the chickens the command comes from his mother in the kitchen "bring a chicken. It is getting late. How many times shall I tell you". The boy runs after one of the chickens at random, catches it, just twists the neck to kill it quickly, defeathers it methodically and takes it into the kitchen.

So culture and values have a profound impact on the genes and influence the way they evolve.

Q.E.D.

LOL.

Last edited:
Dear RR ji,

Do not ever see a goat being slaughtered in a Kali temple.I once witnessed goat slaughtering as I was not aware that the temple included goat slaughtering as its ritual and I just could not stand the sight and turned my face away feeling real tense and then a small little girl aged within 5-6 years told me politely to move a little so that she could see the goat being slaughtered.

I was so shocked to see that a young kid could see killing that I fainted flat.Thank God my brother caught me on time and took me home right away.

All the way he kept asking me..how come you can do autopsies but yet you fainted in the temple?

I told him "on autopsy table the person is already dead..I do not witness killing"

So RR ji..believe me its not worth watching a goat being slaughtered.The poor things are dragged and they resists so much and people spray turmeric water on the face of the goat and when it shakes the water off they proclaim the goat has given consent!

They just make a mockery out of religion..its a normal reflex of a goat to shake its head when sprayed with water cos goats are not fond of water.

I have been to Kalibari once in my lifetime. I will never return there again.
We are supposed to evolve and not stuck in some ancient ritual. There have been human sacrifice all over the world, but that does not make it right today.

Dear Renu,

Me watching a bali? No way! Even when I cross a fish market (On Sundays, the corner of our road has one!) or a meat shop,
I see ONLY the road and walk past quickly! I am really scared even to see dead fish or hanging meat! :fear:

Renukaji,

Again Vaagmi's friend Anthropologist Robert Boyd of UCLA stands vindicated. Read the following story which I have repeated atleast twice in this forum:

Scene 1: A young girl-25 years old and working in a MNC-is returning home in her car in the night. As she drives the car herself she comes across a stretch of poorly lit road. as the car is moving she saw a cat darting across the road in the light coming from the head lights of the car. and soon she hears a thud. Fearing that she might have injured the cat the girl brakes and stops the car. Gets down from the car goes round and searches for the cat and finds no cat. She feels sad that the cat might have got hurt and might have fled. She comes home and spends a sleepless night thinking about the hurt cat. She feels miserable about the episode and prays to God that the cat be spared the pain and death.

Scene 2: A young boy about 12 years old is playing with chickens in the neighbour's house. He obviously love those chicks. he speaks with them, laughs with them, feeds them with grains runs with them in a mock running race, takes one of them and kisses it as an expression of his love. Even as he plays with the chickens the command comes from his mother in the kitchen "bring a chicken. It is getting late. How many times shall I tell you". The boy runs after one of the chickens at random, catches it, just twists the neck to kill it quickly, defeathers it methodically and takes it into the kitchen.

So culture and values have a profound impact on the genes and influence the way they evolve.

Q.E.D.

LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I think I know what you are trying to convey!LOL

But I dont think compassion has anything got to do with genes.

In India I have seen persons who supposedly carrying the "V" gene hit dogs with sticks and carry on reciting mantras! This happened at a pilgrimage site.

There are humans from all races and religions that cant stand the sight of animals or humans being killed.

BTW just to share..I once saw a few young women aged 20's watching a video on their smart phone and they asked me to see it.

I did not know what it was but since they seemed so cool watching it I guess it must be some fun filled video and to my horror it was a video of a person being slowly beheaded!

I then asked them if they did not feel anything and they replied that the person was not their race so they did not feel anything!..they only had compassion for their own kind.

The whole day I was so down after seeing that video that I was even feeling guilty of being alive.

Now..some more stories....I have even had faced a situation once where one whole family had met with an accident and 2 were dead and rest were critically injured and I requested for another doctor to come help and it was late night and his wife called me to ask me 'what race were the victims".

I got real mad and I told her to tell her husband to come right away!

Then when he came and he saw that the victims were his own race he was was feeling totally emotional.

So you see ..Vaagmi ji...how does the Gene theory apply here?

How is it that some people can feel compassion only for the own kind and others feel compassion for anyone?

Becos if the gene theory is right..there should only be 2 types of people..those who feel compassion and those who do NOT feel compassion at all for anyone.

But how come there is a 3rd group that feels compassion only for their own kind?

It clearly shows environmental factors and extrinsic exposure plays an important role.

Last edited:
I also visited number of times Sri Kamakya temple at Guwahati, the other side of Brahmutra river. since I speak bengali I can understand little bit of assamese; so, I established rapport with one pujari Sharma. He explained that three days every month men are not allowed to go down(inside the temple) since water used to be 'red'. I know Kamakya is one of the 51 Shakti peets. I havent visited that temple at the time of bali but Sharma told me it is done. - srinivasan

I remember Dr BC Roy who was the WB CM stopped the 'bali'. I dont think 'bali' is done nw-a-days either in Kalighat Kali temple or in Sri Kamakya temple, Guwahati - srinivasan

even in dakshineshwar temple in kolkatta , one can see goats tied for slaughter.

I happen to go there when there was no slaughter though.

One could see dried blood on bali peetam

could make stomach turn.

gone to kalighat and gauhati temples and seen similar sights.gauhati temple happens to be sakthi peetam revered by hindus

one loses faith in temple worship on seeing such things

Only for three days in a year, devotees are not allowed inside Devi Kamakya temple. 'Ambubachi mela' is an yearly celebration.

Here is some more info. from Wiki:

''The temple remains closed for three days during the mela for it is believed that mother earth becomes unclean for three days like the

traditional women's menstrual seclusion. During these three days some restrictions are observed by the devotees like not cooking, not

performing puja or reading holy books, no farming etc.
After three days devi Kamakhya is bathed and other rituals are performed to

ensure that the devi retrieves her purity.
Then the doors of the temple are reopened and prasad is distributed. On the fourth day the

devotees are allowed to enter the temple and worship devi Kamakhya.''

I was told that the water flowing at the sanctum sanctorum turns red on those three days and the stained cloth covering is

cut into small pieces and distributed to the devotees who believe that it brings prosperity, if kept in the 'safe' in the house. :)

Raji Ram Ji, y shud be correct; three days in a year, not in a month. I havent heard or seen Bali in Dakshineshwer temple. almost every sunday I used to go to Dakshineshwer temple, spend some time, from there take a boat to Belur Matt, the otherside of the Hooghly river and sit for atleast one hour in front of Swami Vivekanda statue. possibly they do bali at Dakshineshwer temple early in the morning - srinivasan

krish44, when I was young, around 7/8 years old, 'yagam' used to be conducted when goat bali is to be given, I remember. at that time of bali, young, ladies etc were asked to go somewhere. I was too young to understand anything; even if one ask reason, they r silenced - srinivasan

Raji Ram Ji, y shud be correct; three days in a year, not in a month. I havent heard or seen Bali in Dakshineshwer temple. almost every sunday I used to go to Dakshineshwer temple, spend some time, from there take a boat to Belur Matt, the otherside of the Hooghly river and sit for atleast one hour in front of Swami Vivekanda statue. possibly they do bali at Dakshineshwer temple early in the morning - srinivasan
sudeshwarji
belur math is a great place on the banks of hooghly. I spent the day of holi there last year.

It is great fun to see the merriment and colour on holi

krish44, when I was young, around 7/8 years old, 'yagam' used to be conducted when goat bali is to be given, I remember. at that time of bali, young, ladies etc were asked to go somewhere. I was too young to understand anything; even if one ask reason, they r silenced - srinivasan
thanks for info. sharing.

more than the bali , the wail and the stink of splutterred blood makes one vomit .

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I think I know what you are trying to convey!LOL

But I dont think compassion has anything got to do with genes.

In India I have seen persons who supposedly carrying the "V" gene hit dogs with sticks and carry on reciting mantras! This happened at a pilgrimage site.

There are humans from all races and religions that cant stand the sight of animals or humans being killed.

BTW just to share..I once saw a few young women aged 20's watching a video on their smart phone and they asked me to see it.

I did not know what it was but since they seemed so cool watching it I guess it must be some fun filled video and to my horror it was a video of a person being slowly beheaded!

I then asked them if they did not feel anything and they replied that the person was not their race so they did not feel anything!..they only had compassion for their own kind.

The whole day I was so down after seeing that video that I was even feeling guilty of being alive.

Now..some more stories....I have even had faced a situation once where one whole family had met with an accident and 2 were dead and rest were critically injured and I requested for another doctor to come help and it was late night and his wife called me to ask me 'what race were the victims".

I got real mad and I told her to tell her husband to come right away!

Then when he came and he saw that the victims were his own race he was was feeling totally emotional.

So you see ..Vaagmi ji...how does the Gene theory apply here?

How is it that some people can feel compassion only for the own kind and others feel compassion for anyone?

Becos if the gene theory is right..there should only be 2 types of people..those who feel compassion and those who do NOT feel compassion at all for anyone.

But how come there is a 3rd group that feels compassion only for their own kind?

It clearly shows environmental factors and extrinsic exposure plays an important role.

Dear doc,

I think there was a discussion earlier in this forum about the influence of exercise on genes which also interacted with the external environment.

Similarly, why cannot thinking, practices and behaviour have an impact on genes. While admitting that there is no concrete proof to this, it is an interesting line of thought and need not be brushed away.

Also, it does not necessarily follow that for a gene theory to be right there should be a binary result. Influence at the gene level is only one aspect and there are very many other variables that also have a stake in the mindset of an individual.

One of my office colleagues showed me a photo of a girl who had her head squashed by a lorry and I was horrified that such pics could be floating on whatsapp. While there is a possibility that genes provide the foundation, there is also the construction (I am drawing a parallel of the human mind to that of a building here) to be made that is entirely based on the "environmental factors"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back