• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vivaham of shudras

ANIRUTH58

Dear sir,
As sudras don't have upanayana samskaaram, they can't use Vedic mantra in their marriage rituals, then how can they perform main homams of vivaham like udvaaha homam, laaja homam, etc. As they are mainly composed of Vedic mantras? Are there any alternative mantras used instead of the vedic mantras in the their marriages kindly provide me the answer for these questions immediately after you see this post sir.
With Regards,
Aniruth58

I am not sure if there is an authentic book to give you an answer because the question is wrong.

There are no Sudras anymore or rather everyone is a Sudra. Do you know what it means to be a Brahmin. In this thread and in the post below there is a definition of who a Brahmin is according to Gita

Note that the above is all about character and I doubt most people will qualify to be called a Brahmin.

If someone cites something called Manu Smrithi it is not applicable anymore.

Upanayana Samskaram as you call it is only a Phto op ceremony these days. If someone is not doing daily Sandhyavandanam how can they call themselves initiated as Brahmins? I know very few youngsters that are doing daily rituals and live by the character demanded of a Brahmin. So almost all are Sudras. These days they all consume meat and alcohol.

If Veda Mantras are truly words of God (of non human origin I am told) then it cannot discriminate against human beings.

I think some bigoted and narrow minded people have created divisions that are false. Most priests, whose credit is just having memorized large number of Mantras with no clue as to their meaning say 'chant this instead of this'. Almost all have no idea beyond basics to read Sanskrit and have not studied grammar etc,

Yes, I am born in a TB family but that does not give me any special status. I like the Satvic practices of TB culture and trying to re-acquaint myself with all that after spell of long time. But that does not mean any of us can support discrimination between people. I respect my culture I was raised in and I respect all other cultures.

With above set of reasons my suggestion is that if the people you call Sudras want to get married , let them follow their own customs. If they seek the help of priest that person should do all the key rituals as prescribed without any bias thinking in their heart.

Let us all see each other as human beings.

I am not a liberal or conservative and not an authority but using common sense to learn and lead a life..

Please describe motivations for your questions and what the situation is because the question as stated seems to have no real answers.

PS: My apologies because you probably are looking for some authority to come here and give you some answers. Pardon me for exposing issues with assumptions in your questions. I do try to avoid from some people with ego issues - these are usually hypocrites with bad intent regardless of what they call themselves - TB or not TB or or liberal or conservative.

Last edited:
Nowadays the people who perform rituals are of two types prohitham and vaitheegam and those who do rituals to NB categories are called prohithas practicing prohitham and for B it is vaidheehas. Recently I attended one such marriage the prohithar himself done a very brief ganapathy Homan and Navagraha Pooja by keeping 9 kalasas spices and clothes. And he only engage both parents/grand parents to do some kind of puja only And only a small mantra where every film is portraying 'Mangalyam thanthuna" at the tine if tieing knot of Mangalyam.

It is risky to use the word sudra in the present day atmosphere. Brahminism is a dying cult. However whenever and wherever there is an attempt to revive by following any ritual,we should supply as much as possible. This forum is not for rationalists. Please discuss whatever you want to discuss freely with little precaution as some of our own people are sensitive. When it comes to going out of bounds our people leap ten times the people of other castes and religions.

Dear sir,
As sudras don't have upanayana samskaaram, they can't use Vedic mantra in their marriage rituals, then how can they perform main homams of vivaham like udvaaha homam, laaja homam, etc. As they are mainly composed of Vedic mantras? Are there any alternative mantras used instead of the vedic mantras in the their marriages kindly provide me the answer for these questions immediately after you see this post sir.
With Regards,
Aniruth58
As per Baghavad Gita, there are four segments of people based on their profession or main activity
1 Kshtriya - The kings or community heads that protects the country or community
2 Brahmna - The teachers that practices schools of thoughts of science , medicine , warfare, value systems etc
3 Vysia - People who engages in commerce ( a business community)
4. Sudra - The one that performs all manual labor with or without skills mason, carpenter, sweeper etc

Every one of the above has a way of connecting with the Universal Energy. Brahmna has more focus on the value system and focus on Universal Energy with a philanthropic attitude.

The first three categories needs to do sandhyavandhanam after initiation and the last category is exempted owing to the nature of their profession. However, there are examples of gnani from all segments.

The practices of madi acharam etc etc is aimed towards hygiene and societal harmony in practical life and has nothing to do with Universal Energy. All the above four categories of profession is complementary in nature and practiced for a well-balanced society.

What is more important here, whoever would like to get connected to the Universal Energy has options of tools such as
Satvik practices
Yoga and Meditation
Acquiring knowledge of higher energies and so on.

Out of unfathomable counts of species in the Universe, human being on earth is a specie that has the ability to understand and become part of the universal energy irrespective of their current cast definition. There are only Humans , sub-humans, evolved humans and humans in the process of being evolved.

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back