• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

V. Dakshinamoorthy - Veteran Malayalam Music director passed away..

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShivKC

Courtesy Wiki:

Dakshinamoorthy was born on 22 December 1919 as Venkateswaran Dakshinamoorthy, to D. Venkateswara Iyer and Parvathi Ammal in Alappuzha district, Kerala (Travancore, British India). His interest in music was nurtured by his mother who taught himkeerthanas of Thyagaraja Swamikal when he was still a child. After finishing S.S.L.C., he learned carnatic music form Venkatachalam Potty in Trivandrum.

He learned more about carnatic music and became an expert of it. He debuted in the film industry with Nalla Thanka, produced byKunchacko and K. V. Koshy under the banner of K & K Productions. The hero of the film was Augustin Joseph, father of renowned singer K. J. Yesudas. The film also had songs sung by Augustin.[SUP][1][/SUP] Dakshinamoorthy went on to set scores for K. J. Yesudas and his son Vijay Yesudas (for the film Idanazhiyil Oru Kalocha, directed by Bhadran) as well, thus achieving a rare treat.
He set the scores for many songs written by Sreekumaran Thampi, forming a famous musician-songwriter duo like the Vayalar Ramavarma - G. Devarajan and P. Bhaskaran - Baburaj duos. He had R. K. Shekhar, father of the music director A. R. Rahman as his assistant for a few films, who later became a musician in his own right. He went on to direct music for over 125 films includingNavalokam, Seetha, Viyarppinte Vila, Sri Guruvayoorappan, Kadamattathachan and Indulekha.
His evergreen compositions include Swapnangal... Swapnangale ningal...(Kavyamela), Pattu padiyurakkan njan...(Seetha), Uthara swayamvaram...(Danger Biscuit), Kattile pazhmulam...(Vilaykku Vangiya Veena) and Vathil pazhuthilooden...(Idanazhiyil Oru Kalocha). He was guru of many singers and Music Directors including P. Leela, P. Susheela, Kalyani Menon and Ilaiyaraja.[SUP][2][/SUP] In 1971 he won the Kerala State Film Award for Best Music Director.
In 2003, he received the coveted 'Sangeetha Saraswathi' Award from the hands of revered Poojya Sri Guruji Viswanath of Manava Seva Kendra, Bangalore. In the year 2008, he composed 4 songs for the Malayalam Movie Mizhikal Sakshi. He died on 2 August 2013 at the age of 93 in Chennai owing to age related illnesses.

he used to live two streets away from mine, in mandaveli. he was an ardent ayyappa bhakta. his son was my playmate.

loved his music because he created melody with a small orchestra. for a man with such a longevity in film music, his abode was rather simple. i guess there was not much money in malayalam movie music.

he used to live two streets away from mine, in mandaveli. he was an ardent ayyappa bhakta. his son was my playmate.

loved his music because he created melody with a small orchestra. for a man with such a longevity in film music, his abode was rather simple. i guess there was not much money in malayalam movie music.

Having said that, and having read that, and having seen the poor response, I only could concur, the community is going damn selfish...damn selfish..

If I had put this O.P stating V.D was the mentor for A.R.Rehmans father and K.J.Jesudoss, there would have been a big c crowd here pounding to claim him as a TB.. or for at least adressed him as Mr. D. Venkateswara Iyer

Damn selfish boys.. and they want to call them as THAMILZH BRAHMINS... laughing stock!!

sad.. no one bothered to appreciate his music in this forum, which was of fathers of generation, but I too enjoyed it off late...Had I added a word IYER in the subject line, i think it would have got attention..

I think, as i gathered from other posts sharing about the concern of about community dying, i concur

Selfish, you call it as TB.. dying stock.. Can only take pride, until someone comes back and tells you, that, of being selfish is being great.. wait for another Aristotle or Othello...Though there were better Nayanmars and Alwars or Achars who taught it better few centuries ago.. cant help it

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry there were two dakshinamurthys in tamil cinema.

here is a sample of our v.dakshinamurthy...

[video=youtube;mRu0Hr8WP6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mRu0Hr8WP6M[/video]

Last edited:
Dear Kunjuppu,

Dakshinamurthy was a great soul. I know a little bit of malayalam. His songs hridaya sadassile, uththara swayamwaram, paattu paadi urakkaam jnaan are all evergreen ones. The melody he managed to bribg in without in any way touching on the beauty of the lyric was something I just love. The malayalam cinema music world will never be the same again. My wife belongs to Kerala.

Nalla manam vazhga by Yesudoss is very mellifluos....The music blends effortlessly with the song....

Came to know that he lived a simpleton life walking bare chested with a shawl wrapped up around his shoulders & walking the streets of Chennai

Some people get famous when they are alive...Others may get famous by their works after their demise...I think Shri V. Dakshinamoorthy falls in the latter category

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back