• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'Unschooled' 17-year-old Indian girl makes it to MIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

30malvika-raj-joshi.jpg

Four years ago, Malvika Raj Joshi quit schooling to explore her love for different subjects.
Although she did not qualify for the IITs, she's now sought admission at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Seventeen-year-old Malvika Raj Joshi doesn't have a class X or XII certificate but has made it to the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), thanks to her computer programming talent.

Her's is a story about a mother's conviction to break stereotypes and the self belief of her teenage daughter, who showed why "merit" has more weight than "marks".

The Mumbai teenager has been provided scholarship by MIT as she is pursuing her Bachelor of Science degree after getting a seat for being a three-time medal winner (two silver and a bronze) at International Olympiad of Informatics or commonly known as Programming Olympiad.
The MIT has a provision for accepting students who are medal winners at various Olympiads (Maths, Physics or Computer) and it was Malvika's medals that ensured that she can fulfil her aspirations of pursuing research work in her favourite subject -- Computer Science.
Malvika recalls those early days during an emailed interaction from Boston.

"When I started unschooling, that was four years back, I explored many different subjects. Programming was one of them.
"I found programming interesting and I used to give more time to it than to other subjects, so, I started liking it at that time," she says.
Malvika found it difficult to get admission in elite Indian institutes like the IIT, which has strict rules as one needs to pass class XII exams.

In fact, the only institute where she got admission was Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI) where she was enrolled into MSc level course as her knowledge was on par with BSc standards.
"There is absolutely no question that Malvika's admission to MIT is based on her superlative achievements at IOI. It is a credit to MIT's flexibility that they can offer admission to a student who demonstrates excellent intellectual potential despite having no formal high school credentials," says CMI's Madhavan Mukund, who is also National co-ordinator of Indian Computing Olympiad.

However, Madhavan made it clear that Malvika is not a product of the system but despite it.
"This is possible only for a student whose academic achievements are outstanding, which is the case with Malvika's performance at IOI," he adds a word of caution.http://www.rediff.com/getahead/repo...-old-indian-girl-makes-it-to-mit/20160830.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back