• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Two cheers for chamchagiri Jug Suraiya,TNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Many years ago when he was accused of being a 'chamcha' of then prime minister Indira Gandhi, with characteristic aplomb Khushwant Singh said that he was not just her 'leading chamcha' but an entire cutlery set. The savvy sardar knew only too well that in India chamchagiri had long replaced Gandhigiri as the unofficial code of state conduct.

Chamchas -literally 'spoons', perhaps because the one who plays this role feeds the ego of the one being toadied up to -abound in all walks of Indian life. In the corporate world, they are also referred to as 'yes men' who have morphed the Cartesian 'I think, therefore I am' to 'I flatter, therefore aye am'. Corporate chamchas wear business suits and an ingratiating smile. This distinguishes them from political chamchas who wear khadi and an ingratiating smile.

Like personal security guards, chamchas are a status symbol showing the world at large that the person in possession of them has not only arrived but reached the top of the ladder.

Ingratiating smile apart, the job of a chamcha requires that the person has a hide as thick as that of a rhino. When the boss, who the day before had called him a 'gadha' (ass), and had that day called him a 'bewaqoof' (fool), the chamcha-in-residence went about telling everyone that he had been promoted, in that from being an animal, an ass, he'd now been elevated to a human, an idiot.

Indeed mental vacuity is a requisite for the would-be chamcha. Julies Caesar might well have spoken for Indian political and commercial honchos surrounded by flatterers when he said: "Let me have men about me that are fat, Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look, He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."
As it involves sucking up to one's patrons, chamchagiri can be deemed to be an exercise in true lip service. This being the case, it can also prove to be the kiss-off for the personage being fawned upon. Having surrounded herself with chamchas who only told her what they thought she wanted to hear during her Emergency, Indira Gandhi called for an election in which she got a thorough drubbing.
Two cheers for chamchagiri - The Times of India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back