• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Top 25 vegetarian restaurants in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was good, I have eaten in Madras (Mumbai).
I would be interested in TB style food, is there a list?

It varies from people's interests.. my one and only best Vegetarian restaurant across the world is Hotel Saravana Bhavan!

The taste buds are different for each one of us...Generally speaking I do not like Veg food without the traditional Indian masalas..I have been traveling in Vietnam without any proper veg food for past 1 week..If there are 50 dishes 100% will be non veg in Vietnamese restaurants and about 5 dishes will have the veggie option..Indian restaurants are very few & far away..Some are closed now on account of lunar holidays..

Taste wise the Vietnamese (similar to Chinese ones) veg items are bland and are unpalatable...I normally mix rice with plain boiled vegeatbles and add chilly sauce or any other chutni...I think we have not spread our cuisine well to all parts of the world like the Chinese!

The taste buds are different for each one of us...Generally speaking I do not like Veg food without the traditional Indian masalas..I have been traveling in Vietnam without any proper veg food for past 1 week..If there are 50 dishes 100% will be non veg in Vietnamese restaurants and about 5 dishes will have the veggie option..Indian restaurants are very few & far away..Some are closed now on account of lunar holidays..

Taste wise the Vietnamese (similar to Chinese ones) veg items are bland and are unpalatable...I normally mix rice with plain boiled vegeatbles and add chilly sauce or any other chutni...I think we have not spread our cuisine well to all parts of the world like the Chinese!

Yes I agree with you. I too had difficult time traveling in SE Asia, and South America. Fortunately in NA and western Europe you can still find Indian Vegetarian food.

indian hotels have spread all over europe.

In all countries, in medium or large cities ,one an always locate an indian/pakisthani hotel.

only they may not be wel located in cities or be a bit expensive,

one has to do a bit of research and locate these hotels before going to a country.

Even in places like istanbul turkey I could get good indian food. even on top of alps it is available

in major towns of germany , one gets indian foods.

south east asia , one gets rice. only one has to take it with boiled vegetables and chilly sauce.

malaysia or singapore, tamils are most comfortable with little india .

indians have spread out so much,indian food has ceased to be a serious issue

Muligatny Soup

I was surprised when I found out Muligatny soup is famous in West. It is from our famous Milagu thani thamil rasam!! If it is for few days and need South Indian food.. best to take paruppu podi, tamarind mix, rice and a microwave cooker to survive.. otherwise definitely there will be some South Indian restaurant nowadays..need some extensive search!

Experience chasing after vegetarian restaurants in Japan

Finding true vegetarian places is a challenge in some parts of the world. In general Europe and eastern europe recognize the notion of vegetarianism. More than 3 decades ago vegetarianism was an alien concept even in USA.

Just for fun I want to share a recent experience at Japan in chasing after a vegetarian restaurant. I had a business trip to places like Tokyo and Okinawa, my daughter had a research conference where she was presenting a paper in one of the places and my wife had some work in Japan as well. So we kind of made this visit a part vacation trip which raised the expectation of wanting good food. It was also the first visit to Japan for my daughter.

After a week or so we were really struggling to find vegetarian food that was more than just some Soba noodles and some soy sauce!

The hotel we were staying at Okinawa told us about a place which was somewhat far. The fellow at the Hotel concierge showed me a little pamphlet with words like 'moo moo we love vegetables - we are vegetarians etc' - the menu was in Japanese and except for the English in the title we had no idea what to expect. We coughed up an expensive ride to this place via a cab.

When we landed, this place looked no different than any other meat/fish place. Finally we found someone who spoke some English. I told them we were expecting a Buddhist type vegetarian place and we were surprised at what they seem to be serving. The smell was not very tolerable. The person explained the caption in the front of their menu booklet saying that their cows are vegetarians and the cows are saying they love vegetables :) . But they serve meat only for their guests. This was ridiculous - we were laughing, hungry and frustrated that we took this long trip for this silly place.

The Japanese are good hosts and they offered to make something special. We told them to not include anything that ever moved or could move. They smiled, had a lot discussions and seated us.

Then they put out plates, fork and knife. Then they brought something I have never seen at a dinner table. They gave us each a pair of scissors!!

The main course was a huge head of cabbage boiled in water and seated in the middle of the table. The scissors were provided to cut the cooked cabbage, dip in soy sauce and eat it. The served one carrot nicely decorated. It was chef special and very expensive. It was late and we were very hungry. So we ordered another cabbage and some butter :)

Later we did find a good Punjabi restaurants in Tokyo and managed fine in other places like Kyoto . Our expectations had been lowered significantly and we were happy if we saw a sandwich shop in American style.

The positive side of this experience is that we all had lost about 3 to 5 pounds each :)

There is town by name Coimbatore where there is a group of hotels by name Annapoorna Gowrishankar. They are far better than saravana bhavan. especially the masala dosai-sambar combination there is unmatched in the world.

also another group by name 'krishna sweets'owned by palghat brahmin is almost equally good.

Last edited:
There is town by name Coimbatore where there is a group of hotels by name Annapoorna Gowrishankar. They are far better than saravana bhavan. especially the masala dosai-sambar combination there is unmatched in the world.

also another group by name 'krishna sweets'owned by palghat brahmin is almost equally good.

I have been to both these places. They are good.
I went to one location of Annapoorna in town, it was good food, a little upscale compared with the sarvana Bhavan.

Coimbatore is once called Manchester of South India, so everyone will know. Yes, been there and Sambar Vada was excellent! Mysore pak and Boli are famous in Krishna sweets.

However like McDonalds, Saravana Bhavan is present in 15+ countries and the best thing is taste is almost same in each of their restaurantants!

I understand Kunjappu sir is yearning for TN/TB veg items. But he has tickled our palates by opening the thread. As for TN/TB veg food we only make fewer items but try to keep the quality/taste at its best. These veg foods taste good, better and best only in TN maybe because of the earth which grows the vegs and the water which cooks. But food is as tastier as you are hungrier.

hi

they were good ONCE UPON A TIME....NOT ANYMORE...MAY BE 25 YRS BACK THE ANNAPOORNA GOWRI SHANKAR IN GANDHIPURAM

COIMBATORE........i visited even 25 yrs back and recently tooo.....now the qualities gone down ...but still best in coimbatore..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back