• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tools to ensure your Computer browser is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Namaskarams to everyone,

I have been a member since a long time but never posted anything in these forums primarily thinking that people here are very knowledgeable and I am just an ordinary person. Then thought I should share whatever I am good at. So here I am... We spend most of the day on our browser either on a PC/Tablet/Mobile. The cyber threats of today is very advanced and we should be prepared to thwart those. A small example (I am not scaring anyone). My brother lives in the UK and he recently got a intimidating phone call from a person who posed himself to be from UK Border Agency (immigrations dept). The stranger went on to intimidate by telling my brother's passport number, expiry date, address in India etc., and convinced my brother into revealing his account number, balance so on.. I took control of my brother's digital stuff and then found his Gmail id was compromised (his android phone and chrome browser on his phone, PC)ensured his digital things are safe.

This is a classic example of Identity theft. Nowadays user id, passwords, Passport numbers are sold to hackers for cheap prices so that they can claim ransom on users.

This post is to ensure that our browser on our PC's/Mac is hardened so it cannot be exploited. I am sure many of you here must be knowing the tools listed below, these are just my 2 cents guidelines.
Whatever browser you use, I prefer Mozilla Firefox but I know lots of you use Chrome. Please install these tools. Since I have not posted in the forum earlier, I cannot post links. It looks like I should have written atleast 10 posts in this forums inorder to post links hence I am unable to post links to the download the tools below.

1. Install "ADBLOCK PLUS" from chrome store or Mozilla's addon's website after it installs it opens up an a new browser window with options - ensure you switch ON everything. - This basically blocks all advertisements from any page you browse making your interface clean.

2. Install "HTTPS EVERYWHERE" from Electronic Frontier Foundation website - this enforces your browser to use HTTPS (Hyper Text Transmission Protocol Secure) strict secure protocol while transmitting your web traffic.

3. Install "Site Advisor" from from chrome store, if you use mozilla you must download it from McAfee's website- this is a tool from McAfee that warns, blocks you from visiting a malicious webpage.

4. This tool has to be installed on your computer. This is called "Malware bytes Anti Exploit" and can be downloaded from Malwarebytes website - This tool further locks down our browser and controls who access system files. THIS IS NOT A ANTIVIRUS, meaning you will have to run a separate antivirus software apart from this tool.

The tools 1-3 are browser extensions(tools), 4th one is a software to be installed on your computer. All of them are free of cost.

I am a living example of these tools that is proven to be working and does not break anything. I have been using this for close to 3-4yrs and I am a power user.

I have no connection with any of these tools nor I stand to gain anything by recommending these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back