• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Time to rise above religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

Religion and God have been with us even before we were able to produce rational systems like science and socioeconomic and political systems. This has even led the rationalists to proclaim that God is not a rational concept. But I believe that religions were founded with a purpose and there is a purpose for multiple religions and different Gods to exist.

This has to do with variance between human minds and different natures and circumstances of different eras. Each served a purpose and a particular religion seemed to be a natural thing to have been founded at a particular time and place. Religions were followed based on faith and also arguably a deeper understanding of things.

With the meteoric rise of science and technology, ownership of logic and rationality has been usurped by science leaving the religion as something founded on a set of dogmas and irrational and superstitious beliefs. There is truth to some extent in this because some superstition and irrational beliefs did creep into many religions along the way.

But I believe that the sublime principles on which many religions are based should be preserved and propagated, especially now when adherence to values are most needed.

Religions have to disown unjust and parochial practices and rise the level.

How can the level be raised? When one thinks deeper the notion of different Gods each existing as separate and autonomous entities and protecting their followers is antagonistic to the timeless and universal values of any religion. How is it that Jesus Christ exists only for the christians, Allah only for the muslims and Krishna for the Hindus and Shiva for the Iyers etc.

Of course it has been explained that these are different forms but there is only one God but this explanation is generally to explain multiple Gods in a religion especially in Hinduism.

Is it not time that we see this great irrationality in multiple and parochial Gods and understand that in the eyes of God all are same and He protects everyone with the same kindness and compassion though we divide ourselves into different groups based on Gods?

Last edited:
Religion and God have been with us even before we were able to produce rational systems like science and socioeconomic and political systems. This has even led the rationalists to proclaim that God is not a rational concept. But I believe that religions were founded with a purpose and there is a purpose for multiple religions and different Gods to exist.

This has to do with variance between human minds and different natures and circumstances of different eras. Each served a purpose and a particular religion seemed to be a natural thing to have been founded at a particular time and place. Religions were followed based on faith and also arguably a deeper understanding of things.

With the meteoric rise of science and technology, ownership of logic and rationality has been usurped by science leaving the religion as something founded on a set of dogmas and irrational and superstitious beliefs. There is truth to some extent in this because some superstition and irrational beliefs did creep into many religions along the way.

But I believe that the sublime principles on which many religions are based should be preserved and propagated, especially now when adherence to values are most needed.

Religions have to disown unjust and parochial practices and rise the level.

How can the level be raised? When one thinks deeper the notion of different Gods each existing as separate and autonomous entities and protecting their followers is antagonistic to the timeless and universal values of any religion. How is it that Jesus Christ exists only for the christians, Allah only for the muslims and Krishna for the Hindus and Shiva for the Iyers etc.

Of course it has been explained that these are different forms but there is only one God but this explanation is generally to explain multiple Gods in a religion especially in Hinduism.

Is it not time that we see this great irrationality in multiple and parochial Gods and understand that in the eyes of God all are same and He protects everyone with the same kindness and compassion though we divide ourselves into different groups based on Gods?

Dear Sravna,

I always equate the need for God/Religion with the need to be in love...a romance.

The mind needs something to hold on too...its not easy to be sans an understanding one any kind.

Some might not require religion or God but they subconsciously hold on to some ideology or the other no matter how much they try to deny it.

Coming back to the idea of Romance...the concept of Religion/God too is a form of Divine Romance where it allows the mind to communicate with a higher consciousness..it allows the mind to get personal...to cry..to blame..to praise..something we can only do with a person we truly love.

Without this feelings...its a very lonely existence but we can surely try to rise about even the attachment for God/Religion without the need to actually reject it.

In my opinion isnt easy esp when we are used to God/Religion in our life...it would be a case of separation anxiety like how 2 lovers crave for each other.
Nothing to fall back upon at times..no one to share joy and sorrow.

Do we need to deprive ourselves from the Divine Romance in the long run?
We can be technical or mechanical and try to analyze God/Religion in its various shades of philosophy which at times might leave us with an insipid avalanche of words and nothing more.

I personally feel Freedom is not identifying too strongly with anything but at the same time allowing self to enjoy flirting with the idea of God/Religion..The Romance that we can enjoy in our transient stay in our human body.

What happens to the mind after death..none of us really know.

Is the human given a body so that he/she can know this Romance and enjoy it?

Dear Sravna Ji,

Every human has only 24 hrs left in a day and we divide it into three sections consisting eight hours each and make our living comfortable.

!) Eight hours for sleeping - this may vary according to the individual’s demand

2) Eight hours for working, (earning) - this is I think universal with some exceptions

And now one is left with only eight hours and in these eight hours we have lot of responsibilities in the family every one belongs. Despite my best time management efforts , I never accomplished to cover my day's 'To do list'.

And so when we sleep, we are above religion, we don’t think of any thing it is sleep status

And when you go to work place, where our colleagues belongs to all castes, colour and creed assemble and we all work together as a family. And there is no discrimination practiced among us.

In hospitals there are only patients and doctors

In schools one can see only students and teachers

In public service, it is the public and the authorities

And this is what Mahaswami said:

மனிதர்களுக்கு ஆறுதல் கிடைக்கும்படிச் செய்வது, நோயைக் குணப்படுத்துவது, கல்வி அறிவு தருவது எல்லாமே பரம உத்தமமான பணிதான். அதில் பகவான் நிச்சயமாகப் பிரீதி அடைகிறான் என்பதும் உண்மைதான். ஆனால் யோசித்துப் பார்க்கும்போது, 'மனித சேவை பகவத் சேவை' என்பதையே திருப்பி வைத்துச் சொல்வதும் ரொம்ப உண்மை என்று தெரிகிறது. அதாவது பகவத் சேவை செய்வதும் மனிதர்களின் நன்மைக்காகத்தான் என்று தெரிகிறது. அதுவே மற்ற சேவைகளைக் காட்டிலும் மனிதனுக்கு நிரந்தரமான நலனைத் தருவதாகும்.

ஆஸ்பத்திரிகளில் நோயாளிகளைச் சொஸ்தம் செய்து அனுப்புகிறோம். அவர்கள் அப்புறம் நல்லவர்களாக வாழ வேண்டாமா ? லோகத்துக்குக் கெடுதல் செய்கிறவர்களாவும், தங்களுக்கே அனர்த்தம் செய்து கொள்பவர்களாகவும் இருப்பவர்கள் சொஸ்தமடைந்து, திரும்பி வந்து அக்கிரமமான காரியங்களைத் தொடர்வதால் லோகத்துக்கு என்ன பயன் ? அந்த வியாதி அனுபவம் அவர்களைத் தெய்வ சோதனையாக வந்து அவர்களைப் புனிதப்படுத்துவது என்ற பலன் கிடைக்க வேண்டாமா ? அதற்கு ஆலயம் உதவும் அல்லவா ? ஆஸ்பத்திரி வைத்து நோயாளியின் உடல் வியாதியைத் தீர்ப்பது போதாது. நோயாளிகளது மனத்தில் கெட்ட எண்ணங்கள் என்ற வியாதி இல்லாமல் செய்வதே அதைவிட முக்கியம்.

வித்யாசாலையோடும், வைத்தியசாலையோடும் மனிதனின் வாழ்வு முடிந்து விடுவதில்லை. அவன் நல்லவனாக்கும் நிலையங்களாக ஆலயங்கள் விளங்குகின்றன. ஆஸ்பத்திரி, பள்ளிக்கூடம் இவற்றைக் காட்டிலும் கூட ஆலயங்கள் முக்கியமானவை. நாம் நல்லவர்களாக வாழுவதற்குத் தியானம், பூஜை இவை மிகவும் அவசியம்.

- காஞ்சி காமகோடி ஸ்ரீ சந்திரசேகரரேந்திர சுவாமிகள் ('தெய்வத்தின் குரல்' புத்தகத்த்திலிருந்து)
Source:
http://www.tamiloviam.com/unicode/08250510.asp

To sum up we all rise above religion

Recently I read an article on a Hindi Super Star…

An interview with Amitabh Bhachchan where in he said:

‘Koi insaan chhota nahin hota’ (No men is small)

'Gyaan hi aapko aapka hag dilate hai ( only knowledge gets you what you deserve)

‘Har insaan mein visheshta hota hai’ (Every person has some uniqueness)

So serve the people who are the God

It is 'மக்கள் சேவை மகேசன் சேவை'

'தெய்வம் மனுஷ ரூபனாம்'

Try to see God in every one.....

My two cents

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Renuka,

Thanks for your views. I do agree God or at least the concept of God and trying to communicate with God gives us unique experiences. Personally I believe in God who I believe is a unity of everything.

I think even the idea of people worshiping different Gods is fine but my point is, we should not take it too far by fighting among us based on Gods we worship. That would make it irrational.

Dear Sravna Sir,

Hindus have umpteen number of Gods and Goddesses - not only Krishna and Shiva.

Though all the sweetmeats have sugar (raw or refined) as the base, each individual has liking for only a few.

May be this is the reason why so many Gods and Goddesses were 'created'. We will like at least ONE image and :pray: !

When my dream is about visiting a temple, only temples of Hindu Gods / Goddesses appear! :pray:

Dear RR ji,

I have had various types of dreams...underwater ancient temple too..Yes mostly Hindu temples and Hindu deities but I have had dreams where I have been to a Mosque too and given a prayer mat!LOL

But I have never had a dream of a Church ever.

Dont know why..I dont get Christian dreams but I know many Hindus who get Jesus and Mother Mary dreams.

I guess in my dream..its only Eshwar and Allah Tere Naam!LOL

I think even the idea of people worshiping different Gods is fine but my point is, we should not take it too far by fighting among us based on Gods we worship. That would make it irrational.
But as Hindus none of us fight and kill each other even if we pray to a different Gods of the Hindu Pantheon.

For eg a Iyer Vs Iyengar or Vadakalai Vs Thenkalai or differences in Ideology would never escalate into a Sunni Vs Shia massacre.

So no worries as long as one is a Hindu.

Dear Sravna Sir,

Hindus have umpteen number of Gods and Goddesses - not only Krishna and Shiva.

Though all the sweetmeats have sugar (raw or refined) as the base, each individual has liking for only a few.

May be this is the reason why so many Gods and Goddesses were 'created'. We will like at least ONE image and :pray: !

Dear Smt.RR,

Yes, God has only likes and so all men are equal . But humans have likes and dislikes and so all Gods are not equal.

I dream of Assuras who challenge God's I am a fan of Ravana He is Rajini among Assuras! He would make God's run for their life - நெருப்புடா! - Basmaasura !

But as Hindus none of us fight and kill each other even if we pray to a different Gods of the Hindu Pantheon.

For eg a Iyer Vs Iyengar or Vadakalai Vs Thenkalai or differences in Ideology would never escalate into a Sunni Vs Shia massacre.

So no worries as long as one is a Hindu.

Though there are differences among Hindus, even in Tamil Nadu among Iyers and Iyengars, it is not explicitly shown, since Hindus have no permanent space.

Your understanding of Hindu Religion is quite amusing. Is Krishna the only God for Hindus and what is the religion for Iyers and are NBs not worshipping Shiva in Tamil Nadu and other places?

Your understanding of Hindu Religion is quite amusing. Is Krishna the only God for Hindus and what is the religion for Iyers and are NBs not worshipping Shiva in Tamil Nadu and other places?
Dear Shri Chandru Ji,

Sorry if I am not being exact in my description but the point I wanted to drive home, I believe is evident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back