• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

Visalakshi Ramani

Nearly 18 years ago, I had a student whom came to me for maths tuition.

She was the heroine of the kallappam episode, in which she was giggling uncontrollably and confessed that she had eaten appam made with kallu for the evening snack.

One day I told her to ask any doubt she had.

She asked me point blank how to use a popular birth control device, making me perform a sitting high jump. I had expected some doubt in mathematics, but nothing was farther from my thoughts than the doubt she asked me.

I told her she DOES NOT need to know it now. When the need arises she will be told all about it by her parents.
I tipped her father that she needs close supervision to make her concentrate only on her studies.

Later she stopped coming for tuition.

May be she could not face me or may be she got into some trouble and stayed away.

It was NOT the age of INTERNET. People still asked the elders things that they did not know about.

Reading about the arrest of a doctor who performs abortion for a mere 1500 Rs, I was reminded of this incident that took place nearly 25 years ago.

In spite of this being the Internet saga girls are still curious,
girls are still ignorant, girls still get into trouble for the mischiefs they do and girls still seek the help of a quack
to set right their problems!

Raji Ram

Here is the full poem:

"God and the doctor we alike adore

But only when in danger, not before;

The danger o’er, both are alike requited,

God is forgotten, and the doctor slighted.''

Visalakshi Ramani

Today's new link

Why are these “naughty poems”?

Time is supposed to be a continuous stream flowing eternally. This is what supports the concept of time travel back to the past or to the future.

At times working backwards is easier than working in the forward direction. When unable to find the way to the centre of a maze we work backwards. It is much more easier to come out of the maze – if we start from the centre.

This is a similar attempt in writing simple English poetry. Instead of starting with a theme and going searching for words which rhyme perfectly, I did the converse.

I got all the rhyming words and tried to weave them into a poem – with a rational and acceptable theme – to the best of my ability.

These poems are naughty – not because of their theme – but since they were made differently. These poems had to become long or short – depending on the number of rhyming words at my disposal.

Some of the poems are really good and some are a little weird. Since it is an experiment, I request you to enter the blog with a lenient and open mind and try to enjoy my logical and mathematical creations.

Visalakshi Ramani

To produce half a K.G. of meat we require 10,515 liters of water.
To produce half a K.G. of wheat, we require only 253 liters of water.

To conserve water, people are advised to become vegetarians or vegans. Yet we read about the smuggling of capsules filled with the dried flesh of dead babies!!!

Going back to cannibalism and dwelling in caves???

Visalakshi Ramani

தனியாக இருந்த பெண்ணுக்கு பிரசவம் பார்க்கத்
தாய் வடிவு எடுத்து வந்தாராம் சிவபெருமான்.

"தாயும் ஆனவர்" என்ற நல்ல பெயர் பெற்றார்.
"தந்தையும் ஆனவர்" என்று சொல்லத் தேவை இல்லை.

தரணியில் உள்ள அனைத்து உயிர்களுக்கும்
தந்தை அவரே என்று அறிவோமே நாம்!

என்றோ நடந்த கதை அல்ல இது.
இன்றும் உலகில் இது நடக்கின்றது.

பிரசவம் பார்க்க வேண்டிய தாயே
படுத்து விட்டார் உடல் நலம் இன்றி.

மனைவிக்குப் பிரசவம் பார்த்த உத்தமன்
மனைவிக்கே ஒரு நல்ல "தாயும் ஆனான்".

முதலில் பிறந்திருந்த குழந்தைக்கு நல்ல
"தாயும், தந்தையும்" ஆக அவன் மாறினான்.

பிறந்த குழந்தைக்குத் "தந்தையும் ஆனான்"!

"தாயும் ஆன இறைவனே" அந்த நல்ல மகனுக்குத்
தாங்கும் திறனையும் அளித்திட வேண்டும்! 🙏

Visalakshi Ramani

My next project os to complie as many AstOthrams as possible.
I am just waiting to get back to USA to start that project.

It so happened that one of my old neighbors called me to talk about her collection of 100 astOthrams from ancient books which had already started crumbling to powder.

She wished to publish them. Can you guess what the publisher had to say?

"Hand me over all the materials and an additional Rs 40, 000/-
and then forget about me, the money and the material once for all"

He would get the book published at her expense but the proceeds from the sale of the book would go to himself.

How do you like it?

I told her I can publish it for her in the Wordpress (unless she herself wants to do it herself) giving her the full credit of compiling the astOtramas.

I can also post it in the forum promising ~ 100 views per day.

She has to get back to me!

Will we get a glimpse of those rare ashtOthrams?

Will they get preserved for the future generations??

Will she publish it herself or let me do it for her???

Only Time can give us all the answers!

Visalakshi Ramani

Great baktas may be reborn as a snake worshiping Siva, a monkey attending Ramayana discourse etc.

My son had two rabbits. One of them, the male, looked like a deer and the other a female looked like a lamb.

The female I used to call as "Aattukkutti" since had the head and face of a black and white lamb. She loved to watch our Hindi movies. She will stretch out her limbs and settle comfortably in front of the T.V. screen.

She watched both "Chak de India" and "Om Shanthi Om" fully. The male just did not bother even to take glimpse.

Corollary:

All females of all species are attracted by the big screen, the movies and the serials. :)

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

When the two horoscopes matched well the father of the boy contacted the mother of the girl on phone.

(Apparently the father of the girl was NOT allowed to answer the incoming phone calls or to take important decisions)

Before the boy's father could ask her whether the girl was willing to relocate after the wedding, the mother of the girl asked him the same question regarding his son!!!

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

Many sons do NOT get along well with their fathers.

I overheard a loving son talk to his mother referring to his father as "your husband!" all the time.

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

The boy is well educated, good looking and earning in Euros!!!

A girl's jatakam matched well with the boy's.

The girls told him,"If you want to marry me wind up your things and come to my country/ my city/ my house. I am my mom's only daughter. I will never part with her!!!"

Does this mean that THE BOY IS A SWAYAMBOO - completely unattached to anyone else???

Visalakshi Ramani

When I sieve through the old threads looking for interesting posts I am appalled to see the number of replies and comments by my then friends.

What has happened to all of them?

Are they no more members of the Forum or are they no more my friends??? :(

Visalakshi Ramani

Deft definitions!

Q: Who is a happily married man???

A : One whose behavior is the same
whether or not his wife is around!

Q: Who is a well brought up child???

A : One whose behavior is the same
whether or not his parent is around!

Visalakshi Ramani

Pyramid in the basic form!

The classification with more finer details!!!

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is a theory in psychology, proposed by Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper "A Theory of Human Motivation."

Maslow subsequently extended the idea to include his observations of humans' innate curiosity. His theories parallel many other theories of human developmental psychology, all of which focus on describing the stages of growth in humans.

Maslow use the terms Physiological, Safety, Belongingness and Love, Esteem, and Self-Actualization needs to describe the pattern that human motivations generally move through.

Maslow studied what he called exemplary people such as Albert Einstein, Jane Addams, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Frederick Douglass rather than mentally ill or neurotic people, writing that "the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy."

Maslow studied the healthiest 1% of the college student population. Maslow's theory was fully expressed in his 1954 book Motivation and Personality.

Courtesy Wikipedia

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

A few years ago I noticed a poisonous snake (kaatu viriyan)
in my bedroom, along the edge of the wall, around 11 P.M,
when I was all alone by myself, on my wedding anniversary day.

The power got cut and the watchmen could kill it only after midnight. The news and my fear did not cause a ripple in the family circle.

The Lion-men (AaN singangal) of the family saw a snake,
outside their mom's house, in the garden, during broad daylight.

All the plants (including the curry leaves plant) have been cut down mercilessly. All the leaves and the garden wastes have burned in a huge flame immediately.

There is so much of talk about what could have happened
if the snake had got into the house!

Proves that I have been the first in the list of important people from its tail-end!!!

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

When I went around the neighborhood distributing sweets on the happy occasion of the arrival of my grandson Varun, I had mixed experiences.

In the first house the lady accepted the whole box meant for many families. I had to request her to take as many as she wanted but not the whole box.

In another house the door would not open. When I was about to leave a servant girl peeped out and said everyone was sleeping (at 11 A.M?)

In the third house I got frightened seeing the startled expression on the face that opened the door.

In the fourth house I was told to 'come back later' as they were eating lunch.

Of course I did not go again but reserved the sweets for them - in case they come asking what I had wanted. None came. So someone else got those sweets.

I just wondered how is that I never say "I am asleep"; "I am eating"; "Come back later" etc.

Then it struck me. I had none to convey those messages. I will have to go by myself . So I can never do to them what they were doing to me!

Now I have become wiser (even without growing my wisdom teeth). Distance adds enchantment to the vision.

Visalakshi Ramani

God punishes children with their parents and parents with

their children. Will it be wrong to say

Parenting is ...

feeding the mouths that bite you

and eating the words that slight you!

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

I came across a new brand of rusks.

They were unbelievably crispy and

"spoke" when they were shaken!!

I got them through my sister who visited us.

I felt dizzy when I saw that

they were dipped in hot coffee,

made into a pulp and eaten!!!

Visalakshi Ramani

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

In some houses and even wedding feasts the appalam would have turned into a piece of cloth. We will have to tear it or use scissors to be able to eat it without choking.

So I make it a point to fry the appalam just before we sit to eat.

Imagine my chagrin when the appalam was smashed into a thousand pieces, mixed with the saambaar chaadham and eaten!

Another unholy attempt was when it was smashed, mixed with the payasam and eaten!

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media