• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or blink!!!

A Mystery or a Marvel or a Meddler??

1628122604162.png

The basic reason cheating is happening is that the students have no clue as to what will be asked in the examination. The teachers who teach never teach "inductive reasoning - forming a thoeory from observation " as opposed to typical "deductive reasoning - from theory end up with examples". Indian teaching following the British education system teaches only to memorize and pass the examination and not to think. Lord McCauley destroyed our system of education and thereby made us the slaves of British Raj. The second reason is, students don't understand that Education is for understanding the world around us to survive and not for jobs. Jobs need skill sets which you learn from community service from childhood - being humble, be on time, be helpful, do the duty, ask for help, help others, be part of ateam but also lead when necessary-- which is mental and intellectual skills. Now, if you ignore the law of physics say gravity, if you do not put a ladder on a solid ground at 45 degree angle resting on a solid surface,when you climb your center of gravity will fall out side the center of gravity of the ladder, thus will fall down backward cracking your head. If you do not understand Right angled Triangle and if a staircase is built, the force you need to climb overcoming the gravity will force you have much higher energy or force, Thus, the Right angled Triangles's scalar length from the base to the wall and the angle (theta) at which the hypotenus - the staircase slope both needs to be correct . This is what is trigonometry( triangle plus direction angle theta). Thus, the education has not been taught with real life example and just regurgitated. Not understanding leads to memorization which leads to fear leading to copying. What is the solution? Say for example, one learns three chapters. At most (maximum) one can ask 100 questions in total for those three chapters. If conceptual understanding is there, in general, one can answer any question without resorting to copying. But this is a dream in India. Is is practical? Yes! one IIT Kanpour professor in the USA had successfully implemented student participation in the preparation of examination with 10% he controlled asking applied questions which needs deep thinking.

WHY have exams if conducting cheat-free-exams were not possible??? :noidea:

exam_635x250_1426762093.jpg
It is possible but not feasible due to corruption. If we ask inductive reason based questions to give 2nd and 1st classes, most bogus students will be eliminated. Here is a sample, a friend of mine who teaches in USA sent me: If you have an allotted money(budget ) to buy say 30 computers to your organization and you have the authority how will you buy the 30 computers? (a) based on same price for every system (b) with different prices. Explain your answer.
Now those who memorize will choose (a). What is wrong? A receptionist who seldom uses the system excepting for scheduling, some word processing and some email, the system is idle most of the time (for get about watching YouTube etc in the USA). Thus, she or he may need a basic system that costs less. On the other hand, a software engineer using graphics, internet, database etc., will need a powerful system. Why? If the system is down and you pay say 2000 Rs for day to the software engineer, you loose 2,000 Rs when the system is down. On the other hand, the clerical staff with 250 Rs per day looses much less. Thus, first we will have collect true statistics of the number of people who need powerful systems and who do not and then order the system. Thus, the answer can not be memorized but have to think. There are other methods which I am leaving out.

It is this time when a pre KG kid studying online gets a 50,000 Rs worth P.C.

AND I was not talking about cheating in exams using computers!
Sorry you misunderstood the example in the question. The Professor wanted to test if the student can "think" - that one size of dress does not fit all - before answering. In our Indian system, you memorize, study 5 years question paper and try to claim you are educated. Thus, cheating will always be there if the questions are not tested to the intelligence of a student showing the knowledge gained can be applied. Do we still have marital problems in our married life. That is becuase, we never find the truths before making judgment and say hurting things. Sorry, when short answers are given, the hidden semantics is lost. This is knows a presupposition and deletetion and was not reflected in the above answer to hurt your feelings.

It is this time when a pre KG kid studying online gets a 50,000 Rs worth P.C.

AND I was not talking about cheating in exams using computers!
I need to expand my answer . There are two ways we learning with reasoning. The first is known as “inductive reasoning” which is based on observation based theory making. All discoveries and life experiences comes from this and known as “wisdom”. The second reasoning is “detective reasoning – give theory and show with examples the results”. 99% of the teaching is based on the second method and the first method is never taught, but assumed somehow the children will learn. The first example of “inductive reasoning” is when the students learn “geometry” and asked to prove something. For example, when you have a rectangle swimming pool, in only one direction whoever swims the longest distance gets say, rs 1000/- Who will get it? The person reasons like this : after all if join two right angle triangles where the hypotenuses overlap I will get a rectangle . That is, alternatively, if I cut the rectangle along the hypotenuse, it will have a longest distance because, the hypotenuse side squared is given by the sum of the square of unequal sides. Thus, [ c2 = a2 + b2 ] where “a” and “b” are sides of the rectangle swimming pool and the diagonal is the hypotenuse. However, this reasoning ability is neither taught nor explored. Therefore, memorizing the answers for the past five years question papers, memorizing and out of anxiety copy in the examination is the result of what we see. You may wonder why I did not write this way? Only your response about a KG students using an online course using lap tops told me that you too have not understood the inductive reasoning and your response showed it. Sorry about my expectation.

Latest ads

Back