• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

There’s a shortage of brides in India, and it’s a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a serious issue for tamil brahmins.

The average age of educated employed girls has increased to 28years.

Many men in thirtees are without mates .

Their dispersal all over the country is making it further difficult.

We require the washington post to tell us about the seriousness of this issue.lol

Only then US/canada based tamil brahmins will stop looking at india for suitable match.

Local waitresses are better than staying single , says one of the boys in US

It is a serious issue for tamil brahmins.

This poster is known either to drag unnecessary issues or to derail the thread.

Washington post speaks about shortage of brides in general in India.

Why drag Brahmins here.

That shows his mentality.

And now there will be a blah blah reply.

This article throws more light on the topic:

India's bride trafficking fuelled by skewed sex ratios

Business in brides is booming in north-west India as a result of female foeticide, but the women bought and sold are often trapped in lives of slavery and abuse

Business in brides is booming in north-west India as a result of female foeticide, but the women bought and sold are often trapped in lives of slavery and
Just 90 minutes’ drive from the thriving city of Gurgaon, near Delhi, a business hub in India and home to corporate giants Google and Microsoft, Hari Singh Yadav, landowner, farmer and eldest of seven brotherssits outside his front door and bemoans his bachelor status.

There arenot enough girls from my caste in our village, and I’m already 34 yearsold, so now no one wants to marry me,” he says. Only three of his brothers havefound wives. “Here, if you don’t marry, people shun you. I want to go to [thesouthern city of] Hyderabad and get a wife but it will cost $1,500. Will youloan it to me?”

Read more at: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/dec/17/india-bride-trafficking-foeticide

Last edited by a moderator:
The article is written by a south indian .

Only south indian upper castes write about such issues and lament about it

Others do not write . They find solutions .

Like fellows from haryana trying to get poor girls from w.bengal,orissa ,bihar. some get involved with white foreign tourists from eastern europe where is a shortage of

males .Haryana ,punjab have skewed sex ratios due to desruction of female foetuses and gender selection before birth.

Tamil brahmins do not do any of these things.

They organise swayamwarams in temples where only boys and their parents turn up and not girls or their parents.

Tamil brahmins in north are smarter. Many go in for local matches from other communities. most civil service types do not mind kayasths from UP . But kanyakubj or

maithil brahmins from UP or Bihar are tougher to rope in as they consider themselves superior to tamil brahmins.Bengali brahmins are no-no as the brahmins consume

fish which they consider vegetarians

This poster is known either to drag unnecessary issues or to derail the thread.

Washington post speaks about shortage of brides in general in India.

Why drag Brahmins here.

That shows his mentality.

And now there will be a blah blah reply.

This article throws more light on the topic:

India's bride trafficking fuelled by skewed sex ratios

Business in brides is booming in north-west India as a result of female foeticide, but the women bought and sold are often trapped in lives of slavery and abuse

Business in brides is booming in north-west India as a result of female foeticide, but the women bought and sold are often trapped in lives of slavery and
Just 90 minutes’ drive from the thriving city of Gurgaon, near Delhi, a business hub in India and home to corporate giants Google and Microsoft, Hari Singh Yadav, landowner, farmer and eldest of seven brotherssits outside his front door and bemoans his bachelor status.

There arenot enough girls from my caste in our village, and I’m already 34 yearsold, so now no one wants to marry me,” he says. Only three of his brothers havefound wives. “Here, if you don’t marry, people shun you. I want to go to [thesouthern city of] Hyderabad and get a wife but it will cost $1,500. Will youloan it to me?”

Read more at: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/dec/17/india-bride-trafficking-foeticide

Good observation about how threads get derailed (and useful reference link)

We still allow Tambram boys (Iyers only) to live in dark age. If there are less Iyer brides, what is the harm in advising the boys to go in for brides from like minded vegetarian communities say Mudaliar, Pillai and even North Indians, if possible.

Whatever the caste of Sudarsana Raghavan he is from South India and has given his own personal experience while finding a bride for his cousin...The problem which his cousin faces are being faced by Tambrahms in large numbers...There seems to be no end to the problem in sight..We should allow marriages with other Brahmins in the South..I have found inter caste, inter religion in my group of relatives...Just 1 has married an Andhra Brahmin..It was a love marriage..Not arranged...If we are unable to find brides let us go for Brahmin brides from Andhra & Karnataka..We may get a larger pool for arranged marriages

IMHO it is not an issue of availability alone.

It is inability in most families to agree on what type of match they want. ie on the basic specs of suitable match there is no agreement between parents and children.

The enemy is within the family and not availability of girl or boy.

Hundreds of boys and girls are registered in matrimonial sites.

Also people get into horoscope ,star details and other issues like standing in community /status etc.which IMHO are not really warranted

if only education ,jobs are the only criteria and all brahmins if not others are included and choice is left to youngsters ,one can get easy matches.

I have never failed to get a match for both boys and girls .

On an average,I do not take more than 3 to 4 months to finalise a match.

Every year , I get atleast two children of extended family married off.

Last edited:
Sorkhi is just 150 KMs west of New Delhi.

Bride Shortage in North India Drives Men to Look Far Afield

Village.jpg

• In this Aug. 13, 2015, photo, Anita Berwal, from the Indian southern state of Kerala and is married to Sadhuram Berwal who is from the northern Indian state of Haryana, sits with their daughter at their home in Sorkhi village, 150 kilometers (93 miles) west of New Delhi. To marry her, Berwal's husband traveled 2,700 kilometers (1,700 miles) from his home state of Haryana known for its shortage of brides -- the direct consequence of the skewed gender ratio in the state, due to sex-selective abortions in a society where many families prize boys over girls, mostly for economic reasons. (AP Photo

SORKHI, India: When Sadhuram Berwal wanted to get married, his family went about it in the traditional Indian way, asking relatives, neighbors and local temple priests to suggest a young woman. But after an extensive search among women of his caste in his area, no suitable bride could be found.

A larger factor had narrowed the field sharply: a skewed male-female ratio that is particularly pronounced in his home state of Haryana, in India's north, due to sex-selective abortions in a society where many families prize boys over girls, mostly for economic reasons.

Through a friend, Berwal eventually found a woman 2,700 kilometers (1,700 miles) to the south, in the state of Kerala, who was willing to marry him. But with a different language and profoundly different customs, she was overwhelmed by her new life.

That dramatic decision more than 10 years ago shocked his village of Sorkhi at the time but has become increasingly common these days in northern India, where the dearth of eligible women is starkest.

In Sorkhi, buffaloes roam the dirt roads, winding their way to a massive pond, the main feature of the sleepy village. Women go by driving slow-moving oxcarts, loaded with grass and other fodder for cattle. It's as if life has not changed over the decades in Sorkhi's bucolic routine, although the village of 7,000 is just 150 kilometers (95 miles) west of New Delhi, India's capital.

What has changed, however, is the glaring shortage of young women, says Om Prakash, a retired school teacher and influential village elder.

Read more at: http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...Look-Far-Afield/2015/09/10/article3020577.ece

Last edited by a moderator:
This article dates back to 2011, but the situation don't seems to improve in respect of decline in the strength of brides and this happened in North India.

‘Wife-sharing’ haunts India as girls decline

Illegal abortions lead to decline of women; cases of sexual exploitation of girls rise

When Munni arrived in this fertile, sugarcane-growing region of north India as a young bride years ago, little did she imagine she would be forced into having sex and bearing children with her husband's two brothers who had failed to find wives.

"My husband and his parents said I had to share myself with his brothers," said the woman in her mid-40s, dressed in a yellow sari, sitting in a village community centre in Baghpat district in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

"They took me whenever they wanted -- day or night. When I resisted, they beat me with anything at hand," said Munni, who had managed to leave her home after three months only on the pretext of visiting a doctor.

"Sometimes they threw me out and made me sleep outside or they poured kerosene over me and burned me."

Read more at: http://www.emirates247.com/news/world/wife-sharing-haunts-india-as-girls-decline-2011-10-28-1.425709

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back