• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Slow Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to TOI, the idea of “The Slow Movement” has been brought up for review by those who are still in the rat race, those who have slowed down, those have been slowed down and those who are resting by the ‘melt down’, and a few who are fleeting from job to job and of course the ones who are waiting on their wings unmindful of the above groups. The move (not go slow) is reported to have been started in the mid 1980s and is reportedly catching up.

This new idea has already coined phrases like – Slow Food, Slow Design, Slow Cities, Slow mail, Slow Music, Slow Parenting, Slow Homes, Slow Cars, Slow Travel, etc. etc. Is it not funny that this concept was initiated by the same West which triggered the rate race which is in full speed in the East now?

The main idea is to warn people that, to put it in a nutshell, they have lost touch with the “life”, to know their families, friends, community and perhaps nativity and nationality!

I hope many of you know must be aware of this movement. Nature has slowed down some of us. It will be interesting to know how many of us would subscribe to this new movement and what are their views.

Thanks to TOI, the idea of “The Slow Movement” has been brought up for review by those who are still in the rat race, those who have slowed down, those have been slowed down and those who are resting by the ‘melt down’, and a few who are fleeting from job to job and of course the ones who are waiting on their wings unmindful of the above groups. The move (not go slow) is reported to have been started in the mid 1980s and is reportedly catching up.

This new idea has already coined phrases like – Slow Food, Slow Design, Slow Cities, Slow mail, Slow Music, Slow Parenting, Slow Homes, Slow Cars, Slow Travel, etc. etc. Is it not funny that this concept was initiated by the same West which triggered the rate race which is in full speed in the East now?

The main idea is to warn people that, to put it in a nutshell, they have lost touch with the “life”, to know their families, friends, community and perhaps nativity and nationality!

I hope many of you know must be aware of this movement. Nature has slowed down some of us. It will be interesting to know how many of us would subscribe to this new movement and what are their views.

You have posted this in general section and not in jokes, so you must have a point. I did not get this memo in my inbox so i guess it went to spam folder.
Tell me about it, again. Life is still going at a frantic pace, where did you get off? I am intrigued.

For some strange reason, the following lines spoken by John of Gaunt in Shakespeare’s Richard II Act II, Scene 1 flashes across my mind:

He that no more must say is listen'd more .................... line 691
Than they whom youth and ease have taught to glose;
More are men's ends mark'd than their lives before:
The setting sun, and music at the close,
As the last taste of sweets, is sweetest last,

………………………………….
For violent fires soon burn out themselves;
Small showers last long, but sudden storms are short;
He tires betimes that spurs too fast betimes;
With eager feeding food doth choke the feeder:
Light vanity, insatiate cormorant, ................................line
Consuming means, soon preys upon itself.

Last edited:
And it reminds me William Henry Davies's poem Leisure.

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this is if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare

hi
some more SLOWS....slow economy development.....slow corruption.....slow marriage....slow children....everything slow movement....

You have posted this in general section and not in jokes, so you must have a point. I did not get this memo in my inbox so i guess it went to spam folder.
Tell me about it, again. Life is still going at a frantic pace, where did you get off? I am intrigued.
I chose to get off at my will. I think the fun is not in running but watching those who keep running. I already see a lot of hares dozing off far behind the finish line. I think we can still call our shots now though I am not sure of those who will be there 30/40 years hence.

Thanks. Imagine that it was nearly 45 years ago!

மெட்ராஸ்நல்லமெட்ராஸ் - Madras nalla Madras
ஆம்பளைக்கும்பொம்பளைக்கும்வித்யாசம்தோணலை
Madras

Playback:T.M.Soundararajan
Cast:Nagesh.
Music:M.S.Viswanathan. Lyrics: Kannadasan
Movie:ANUBAVI RAJA ANUBAVI
Yearof Release: 1967

Last edited:
post 7#
slow and steadiness wins the race.we should know when to accelerate.
நாம் எல்லோரும் ,நாயிக்கு வேலை இல்லை நிற்கவும் நேரமில்லை ,என்ற வார்த்தையை மனதில் கொள்ள வேண்டும் .(even though the dog has no work ,it is not having time to rest )
we have to wait for the right time to hit.
guruvayurappan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back