• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Rice Bag Project: ‘Mission India’ and how it uses rice bags and caste role-play games to convert Hindus to Christianity

Raman74

The Rice Bag Project: ‘Mission India’ and how it uses rice bags and caste role-play games to convert Hindus to Christianity

The most insensitive aspect of the whole project, nonetheless, is the activity where the participants are urged to indulge is "Caste role-playing".

1574179962062.png

For quite some time, the term ‘rice bag convert’ has been used by some sections of the Hindu Right to shame people who converted to Christianity due to financial benefits. The term has its historical roots in the efforts made by Christian missionaries to convert the natives of Asian countries and the more common word for the phenomenon is ‘Rice Christians’.

It has been observed by numerous scholars through the ages that the Christian missionaries convert people primarily by offering them financial benefits rather than the virtue of their preaching. Often, such benefits included bags of rice. However, with the passage of time, rice bags were substituted by other financial benefits. But it appears, at least some evangelicals haven’t yet given up on their rice bags.

‘Mission India’ and Rice Bags

Read more at:

prasad1

Raman74ji seems to be a troll.
Other than posting rehash of Hindutva fear-mongering, what other articles you are posting.
This is not a personal attack, but the quality of the forum is being eroded by such posts.

I feel that these kinds of posts are fear-mongering.
Show me percentage-wise how many well educated higher caste Hindus have been converted to Christianity.

Please do some investigation before forwarding such Hindutva fringe articles.
I am a Hindu and socially active, and do not come across any such cases.
Different Indians states have enacted various laws to curb conversions.
But have never found any reason to implement them. (maybe there was never any need for them in the first place).

If a Dalit Hindu feels more welcome in Christianity than in Hindusim. they should be permitted to convert.

India’s Freedom of Religion Acts or “anti-conversion” laws are state-level statutes that have been enacted to regulate religious conversions. The laws are in force in eight out of twenty-nine states: Arunachal Pradesh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, and Uttarakhand. While there are some variations between the state laws, they are very similar in their content and structure. All of the laws seek to prevent any person from converting or attempting to convert, either directly or otherwise, another person through “forcible” or “fraudulent” means, or by “allurement” or “inducement.” However, the anti-conversion laws in Rajasthan and Arunachal Pradesh appear to exclude reconversions to “native” or “original” faiths from their prohibitions. Penalties for breaching the laws can range from monetary fines to imprisonment, with punishments ranging from one to three years of imprisonment and fines from 5,000 to 50,000 Indian rupees (about US$74 to $735). Some of the laws provide for stiffer penalties if women, children, or members of scheduled castes or schedule tribes (SC/ST) are being converted.

Despite criticism of India’s anti-conversion laws, some human rights bodies have acknowledged that these laws have resulted in few arrests and no convictions. However, some observers note that the laws create a hostile, and on occasion violent, environment for religious minority communities because they do not require any evidence to support accusations of wrongdoing.

Last edited:

Raman74

PFI Running A Conversion Racket In Kerala?

A sting investigation unravels the dark side of PFI-funded Sathya Sarani in carrying out conversions in Kerala.

An investigation into conversion activities in Kerala was carried out by India Today, and the revelations are startling

Raman74

Operation Conversion Mafia: Kerala's conversion factories unmasked

The PFI, already under NIA investigation, is accused of brainwashing Hindu women and marrying them off to Muslim men.

Raman74

Census, Christians, Conversions

Despite having the highest level of female education and the lowest fertility rate, why is the Christian population growth rate the same as that of the average Indian?

The good news is that the gap between Hindu and Muslim annual population growth rates is narrowing. Between 1991 and 2001, the Muslim population grew at a decadal rate 1.2 (log) percentage points higher than Hindus (3 vs 1.8 per cent); In 2001-11, this gap has come down to 0.6 percentage points — 2.2 vs 1.6 per cent.

For all religious groups, the population grew at a 1.6 per cent per annum in 2001-11, a steep decline from the 2.3 per cent a decade earlier.

The census data shows up some other interesting facts. There is a sharp decline in the fraction of the Sikh population — a fall from a 2 per cent share in 1991 to 1.7 per cent in 2011. This is along entirely expected lines. Sikh women have the second highest educational-attainment level (behind Christians); and fertility, to a large extent, is determined by the mother’s education. But here is the surprising revelation in the data: several commentators have noted that the share of the Christian population has stayed relatively constant at 2.3 per cent; hence their conclusion that the much-hyped conversion issue is indeed hype.

That is a hasty and wrong conclusion. It is surprising that the share of the Christian population has stayed constant; it should have declined significantly. Why? Because, along with Sikhs, Christians are the richest community in India. In the early 1990s, mean per capita consumption of Christians was Rs 404 per month and the fertility rate was 3.8 children per woman. The corresponding numbers for Sikhs: Rs 473 and 3.9. Almost identical, right? If so, then the population growth rate of Christians should be virtually identical to that of Sikhs; actually, somewhat less because of the higher education level and slightly lower fertility rate.

But that is manifestly not so. Between 1991 and 2011, the Sikh population grew at an average rate of 1.2 per cent per annum, while the population growth rate of Christians was a relatively higher 1.9 per cent per annum. This growth rate was higher than that of Hindus (1.8 per cent) and almost exactly equal to the average for all religions. So, despite having the highest per capita consumption, the highest level of female education and the lowest fertility, the Christian growth rate is the same as that of the average Indian.

So what is going on? Conversions.

Please read more at

Raman74

Other than posting rehash of Hindutva fear-mongering, what other articles you are posting.
This is not a personal attack, but the quality of the forum is being eroded by such posts.

Prasad Ji, I think you are trying to exercise your moral policing here.

Now, before commenting others, why don’t you go for a self-Evaluation or self-Assessment…?

Other than posting against Anti Modi, Present (NDA) ruling Government, Hindutva, etc what other articles you are posting….?

Do you mean to say that your stuff really adds value to the contents of the Forum..?

Have you every thought as to why nobody except you, raised any objection…. why.. because it is obvious.

While I appreciate you are taking care of the quality of the Forum, I would like to point out that it is you who used to post articles published by Magazines which are proved to spreading lie by Courts of law and warned against such malpractices. I don’t want to name the Magazines and the threads.

You may say that it is fear-mongering but there are people who believe that it s whistle blowing, creating awareness, etc which is the need of the hour.

There are lot of laws in India and most of us know how many laws are enforced strictly and how are not.

Can you say that there is no case registered under this law.....?

NRIs sources are electronic media.... your sources are media, but I live in India and know the ground reality here. Hope you now know the difference.

Please go through these links

https://www.quora.com/How-do-Christian-missionaries-convert-Hindus-in-India

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Christian-missionaries-attain-higher-conversion-rates-in-coastal-Tamil-Nadu-and-Kerala

P.S: Don't forget the proverb that when you point a finger, there are three fingers point back at you.

Last edited:

Raman74

Currently, if I am right only five States in India have the law to enforce prevent forced conversions. The law do not ban conversions so long as they are voluntary. This law prohibit conversion from one religion to another by the use of force or allurement or by fraudulent means. Allurement (also called inducement) is defined as a gift or material benefit.

Why India Needs an Anti-Conversion Law

Last edited:

Raman74

Sixteen Christians arrested for 'forced conversions' of tribals in Jharkhand

The arrests took place in the District of Dumka. The detainees are part of a group of 25 "preachers" that the villagers held hostage for two days. The police say they seized religious material. For Christian leader, “powerful groups that support Hindutva use the so-called forced conversions to intimidate minorities".

1574216777153.png

renuka

I have a question.
What if someone chose another religion or Dharma becos it was his or her inner calling and not some rice bag or wheat bag or poverty etc?

We do find many well to do Caucasians turn to Hinduism not becos they need a rice bag but becos they followed their inner calling.

So may be some found their inner calling and not all converted for financial assistance.

prasad1

Prasad Ji, I think you are trying to exercise your moral policing here.

Now, before commenting others, why don’t you go for a self-Evaluation or self-Assessment…?

Other than posting against Anti Modi, Present (NDA) ruling Government, Hindutva, etc what other articles you are posting….?

Do you mean to say that your stuff really adds value to the contents of the Forum..?

P.S: Don't forget the proverb that when you point a finger, there are three fingers point back at you.
If you do not understand democracy, then we can not understand each other.
In a democracy, it is perfectly acceptable to express your opinion, politically I can have differences and coexist.

Obviously you do not understand that my statements are political, whereas your posts are antisocial.
You are sowing the seeds to communal discord. They are not the same.

But it is not OK to disparage other's religious beliefs. You can not incite violence against another community. Genocide and ethnic cleansing are not accepted.

Outright lies and misinformation are dangerous to the nation and humanity.
Just by recirculating one lie it does not become a fact.

Cite authentic crimes that may be news worth sharing.
Please avoid Lies and fearmongering.

Raman74

If you do not understand democracy, then we can not understand each other.
In a democracy, it is perfectly acceptable to express your opinion, politically I can have differences and coexist.

Obviously you do not understand that my statements are political, whereas your posts are antisocial.
You are sowing the seeds to communal discord. They are not the same.

But it is not OK to disparage other's religious beliefs. You can not incite violence against another community. Genocide and ethnic cleansing are not accepted.

Outright lies and misinformation are dangerous to the nation and humanity.
Just by recirculating one lie it does not become a fact.

Cite authentic crimes that may be news worth sharing.
Please avoid Lies and fearmongering.
LOL

It is all applies to you ONLY.

Can you declare that there is no case of conversion reported in any State or District..?

If you are unable to prove whatever said in the articles may hold good you please try to understand what is democracy.. practicing freedom of religion, etc

Merely coming here to write about fear-mongering, dangerous, outright lies, misinformation, inciting violence etc etc does NOT make any sense at all. You seems to imagine a lot.

Go and search in Google, you will find plenty of authentic materials.

If you are unable to do so, seek my assistance, I will help you. LOL

Without knowing the ground reality, don't jump into judgement. LOL

Last edited:

prasad1

It is a waste of time posting replies to your utterly meaningless posts.
No one said about a single conversion happened or not happened.
There is no hysteria like you are claiming.

Out of a population of 1 Billion Hindus even if 10 converted it is not a big deal, you did nothing to keep them as Hindus. It is your fault. If you can prove that Millions were forcibly converted your outrage may be justified.
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

And goodbye, you cease to exist for me.

Raman74

First of all the thread is in News and Updates and is not in General Discussion to have a debate over the topic.

And I have already posted enough materials to prove my point about conversions.

I know that truth is always bitter.

I also know that you won’t accept truth.

Everybody know that it is the small leakage that sinks great ship.

Of course, I have no time waste on meaningless debate.

...............................................................................................................

There is no doubt that large scale conversions have been taking place across India, accelerating over the last 5 years led by evangelical groups from the West. The North East has been converted with Arunachal and Tripura being now targeted. Tribal belts across Odisha, Jharkhand, Gujarat and MP have seen large-scale conversions for several years now.

The new phenomenon over the last 5 years has been the huge increase in evangelical conversions in Chennai and Tamil Nadu, clearly visible via the vehement advertising on particular channels on TV. Andhra Pradesh, particularly the interiors, Hyderabad and the coastal regions, has been specifically targeted due to the red carpet laid by a now deceased Chief Minister whose son-in-law is a Pastor with his own outfit. The visible impact across this region to any observer shows clearly that a huge amount of money has come in and that there is targeted conversion going on. Some evangelical groups have claimed that 9-12% of undivided AP has been converted, and have sought special benefits from the State (which has been reported in the media).

There is a very sophisticated operation in place by the evangelical groups, with a clear target for souls, marketing campaigns, mass prayer and fraudulent healing meetings. Evidence is available in plenty on videos on YouTube, social media, press reports, and on the ground. Pastors have been openly tweeting about souls converted, and saving people from idol worshippers. Some pastors have tweeted with glee about converts reaching 60 million, declaring a target of 100 million, and have also requested for financial support for this openly. Violence in some areas due to this has vitiated the atmosphere. The traditional institutions of both denominations are losing out to the new age evangelicals with their sophisticated marketing, money and legion of supporters from the West. One can almost classify these groups as hyper-growth startups – with a cost per acquisition, a roadmap for acquiring followers, a fund-raising machine, and a gamified approach (with rewards and incentives) to “conquering” new markets.

Our Constitution guarantees the freedom of religion, which includes the right of the individual to choose her religion. This is not in question, and is a very important concept for a nation like ours. But this right is terribly constrained by religions, which severely punish apostasy. Our laws prohibit conversion due to inducement, allurement, undue influence, coercion, or use of supernatural threats. Every debate on TV misses this point -people argue on grounds of constitutional rights and abuse right wings groups who protest such conversion forgetting that these new age evangelicals are clearly breaking the law! They go to the desperate, and prey on their insecurities by offering education for their children, medical services for the sick, and abuse existing religious practices and traditions.

People also point to the approximate 2.3% share of this minority in the last 3 censuses to deny such conversions. Of course, the 2011 census figures on religion has strangely not been released and we need this data. However, the reason why inthe conversion numbers do not show up in the census is that conversions are happening in communities entitled to reservation benefits. It appears that they are clearly told not to reveal their conversion in the census or officially to prevent loss of benefits. Most conversions happen amongst the tribals and rural and urban poor, who are soft targets to inducements.

I have a personal experience of evangelical groups trying to convert members of my family. Two house maids who converted said that the school where their children went raised fees and due to their inability to pay, they were told they would waive it if they converted (which they were forced to do). Of course, the school was rabid in their evangelism with these children. I use a taxi company for travel over the last ten years. I have noticed over 30% of drivers have converted over the last 5 years.

When asked, inevitably they spoke about evangelicals groups that gave them free education for children and paid their medical bills, provided they converted.

It is obvious that large-scale conversion by illegal means is happening in many places and the impact is clearly visible to anybody who would choose to see openly. Some apologists ask – where are the complaints about inducement or coercion? The law needs enforcement by the police independent of complaints, as is happening when rightist groups proudly announce conversions. These rightist groups lack sophistication, but they have squarely focused attention on this large-scale conversion activity. Law enforcers need to act before this becomes a bigger flashpoint.

vicky99

Raman Ji, You are doing a great job. Just dont give up to the trolls here. They are either in trouble that you are exposing the other side, or nobody is listening to them

I feel that these kinds of posts are fear-mongering.
Show me percentage-wise how many well educated higher caste Hindus have been converted to Christianity.

Please do some investigation before forwarding such Hindutva fringe articles.
I am a Hindu and socially active, and do not come across any such cases.
Different Indians states have enacted various laws to curb conversions.
But have never found any reason to implement them. (maybe there was never any need for them in the first place).

If a Dalit Hindu feels more welcome in Christianity than in Hindusim. they should be permitted to convert.

India’s Freedom of Religion Acts or “anti-conversion” laws are state-level statutes that have been enacted to regulate religious conversions. The laws are in force in eight out of twenty-nine states: Arunachal Pradesh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, and Uttarakhand. While there are some variations between the state laws, they are very similar in their content and structure. All of the laws seek to prevent any person from converting or attempting to convert, either directly or otherwise, another person through “forcible” or “fraudulent” means, or by “allurement” or “inducement.” However, the anti-conversion laws in Rajasthan and Arunachal Pradesh appear to exclude reconversions to “native” or “original” faiths from their prohibitions. Penalties for breaching the laws can range from monetary fines to imprisonment, with punishments ranging from one to three years of imprisonment and fines from 5,000 to 50,000 Indian rupees (about US$74 to $735). Some of the laws provide for stiffer penalties if women, children, or members of scheduled castes or schedule tribes (SC/ST) are being converted.

Despite criticism of India’s anti-conversion laws, some human rights bodies have acknowledged that these laws have resulted in few arrests and no convictions. However, some observers note that the laws create a hostile, and on occasion violent, environment for religious minority communities because they do not require any evidence to support accusations of wrongdoing.

Sorry, but it seems you're yet to visit AP, Odisha, Jharkhand, TN interiors... Else you would've known well about how conversion happens and how much...

prasad1

Sorry, but it seems you're yet to visit AP, Odisha, Jharkhand, TN interiors... Else you would've known well about how conversion happens and how much...

Sir your information is completely wrong.
I was raised in Jharkhand (Bihar), We run a charitable organization in Odisha (Orrisa), and We are part of a school in Tanjaoor district.
I am deeply into the upliftment of people (irrespective of religions).
I am not happy that people convert but at the same time, I want them to be happy.
I do not impose my views, and my service is without condition.
I do not indulge in Transactional blackmail, and I do not like others practicing it. But that is way of life.
If we do not provide the poor Hindus what they need, and the poor get some advantage by converting I do not cry about it. I accept that we Hindus failed those poor.

If you are worried about the poor (Really?) then instead of posting here in these internet sites, you too would do something. But these are crocodile tears.

Raman74

Nagarajan Ji,

You are right. I have enough materials to establish my stand.

But there are self-assumed judges here who will never read whatever you right and love to pass judgement without any material evidences corroborating their stand.

I think for such few, ignorance is really a bliss. LOL

Their's is a small world but with BIG Frog-in-the well mindset.

They simply close their eyes as to the ground realities, but come here and love to sermon thus expose their ignorance.

Rampant conversions of Hindus happening in many districts of Uttar Pradesh: Reports

It is alleged that Christian proselytisers are using money to convert people to Christianity

1574778645743.png

Last year, a similar case of organised conversion was exposed when Christian preachers were deceptively converting the underprivileged children belonging to weaker sections of the society in Madhya Pradesh by providing them with inducements.

Last edited:

Raman74

Indian Christians arrested for allegedly seeking conversion of Hindu youth

Indian authorities have charged 10 Christians, a minority long targeted by Hindu nationalists for their faith, with violating conversion laws by allegedly attempting to forcibly convert Hindu youth to Christianity, India Today reported.

The Christians were taking the children to a Christian summer camp – with their parents’ approval -- when they were detained. Authorities said the parents had allegedly failed to file legal paperwork with the government to make their conversion official, meaning the children are legally still Hindu.

Last week Madya Pradesh police stopped a bus with 60 children, accompanied by nine chaperones, as it was going to the camp in Nagpur. The next day authorities stopped a bus with 11 children of Christian parents, plus chaperones, who were also traveling to the Nagpur summer camp.

Raman74

Ground report: A 'Hindus only' Andhra village with saffron flags and caution boards

Kesalingayapalli has become a 'model village' for neighbouring villages, where saffron flags are being hoisted to mark the religious beliefs of the residents.

Around 250 families live in Kesalingayapalli and they have declared their village to be 'Hindu only’. Not just that, they have also explicitly warned people of other faiths, particularly the Christian evangelists, from entering their village and propagating their faith.

The residents have erected saffron-coloured ‘caution’ boards on either side of the village, aimed at deterring the evangelicals from entering their space.

The board reads: “In this village, everyone is a Hindu, hence people of other religions cannot propagate their religion here. If someone violates this warning, stern action will be taken against them—By: People of Kesalingayapalli.” The caption below reads: “If you convert to a different religion, it is akin to changing your own mother.”

1574786722135.png

Raman74

Tactics adopted to convert Hindus to Christianity
Index

Last edited:

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media