• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The psychology of a Matunga Tamilian

Status
Not open for further replies.
The writer a Palakkad Iyer writes about the Matunga Tamilian who are essentially from Palakkad or Tanjore..My own Periappa (from Tanjore )settled there in the 1950's..Now it is a large family ..The quintessential Tamilins are at ease whether in Matunga or Vikhroli or Chembur or Thane! They are adept in Marathi & Hindi! My cousin's son studied in Marathi medium there! Now he is a top notch Engineer! Now the migration from the Tamil land to Mumbai has stopped more or less..I too stayed in Mumbai for 4+ years..Like the way the festivals are celebrated! The community feeling is really strong courtesy the Ganpati & Dussehra festivals!

“I grew up in Bombay,” says Gayatri, one half of the Carnatic singing sister duo of Ranjani-Gayatri. “Actually, you should say that I grew up in Matunga, which in many ways is like growing up in an agraharam (an enclave beside a temple, usually occupied by Brahmin priests and their families).”

What is it about Matunga and Chembur that makes these areas a thriving home for south Indian culture? The sisters grew up in a housing society that was surrounded by four temples. The fabled Sri Shanmukhananda hall was down the hall, figuratively speaking. During Margazhi—15 December-15 January—while the rest of Bombay (now Mumbai) drank bed-tea, Matunga’s citizens would congregate on the streets.

Women with dripping wet hair would wait outside housing societies to watch bare-bodied men walking down the street, singing bhajans, clinking kartals (called kinnaram in the south), beating dholaks and tambourines in time to their shaking bellies. “We would circle these mamas (uncles), do namaskaram (prostrate before them) and go in for our morning coffee,” says Gayatri.

Matunga in the 1970s was entirely south Indian. The girls wore long skirts, called pavadai, their oiled, braided hair adorned with flowers.

“When I came for college to Chennai, my classmates couldn’t believe that I grew up in Bombay,” says Gayatri. “I told them that Matunga was different.”

Matunga holds a special place in the imagination of south Indians, because it is the land where our relatives went to make their fortune. They left villages with long, syllable-laden names and returned as posh Bombayites. Suryanarayanan became Suri; Ananthapadmanabhan became Padi; Balasubramanian became Balan; and their daughters became Raji Suri, Priya Padi and Vidya Balan. These early south Indians who migrated to Bombay didn’t forget their roots. Rather, they fulfilled their love and longing for their ancestral homeland by duplicating its ecosystem in their new home.

At the Matunga market, women would bargain vigorously in Tamil. “Not just any Tamil but Palakkad Tamil,” says Gayatri. “Pumpkins were referred to as ellevan (white) or mathan (yellow) pushnikai, instead of the traditional way of calling them vellai or manjal pushnikai.”

Among Tamil-Brahmins, Palakkad Iyers form a unique subset. These were people who could trace their roots to the Palakkad pass between Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Palakkad Iyers, or Pattars as they were called, migrated from Tamil Nadu to Kerala, and felt equally at home speaking Malayalam and Tamil. My father (and mother) is one, and although he spent his career in Madras (now Chennai), he still multiplies in Malayalam.

Palakkad Tamil liberally interspersed with Malayalam is pretty much unrecognizable to locals in Chennai. Each of us has many layers; many personas. There is the global self that is at home in Cuba, Iceland or Japan.

There is a world citizen who skiis in Zermatt, Switzerland, scuba-dives in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia, shops in Rue St Honore, Paris, catches a Broadway show in New York, learns tango in Argentina, and drinks sauvignon blanc in New Zealand. Certainly, if you are a reader of this newspaper, you do all these things and more. Then there is the local self that has to do with family, history, stories and myth.

The local self is why we define ourselves as Syrian Christians, Surtis, Bohra Muslims, Parsis, Kamma Naidus, Kulin Kayasthas, Agarwals, Assamese Kalitas, Sindhis or, in my case, a Palakkad Iyer.

The local self has to do with religion and caste, but it goes much deeper than that. It has to do with a small patch of ground from which we have descended—be it Kathiawar, Kanpur, Khajuraho or Karwar.

It is the reason we Indians use the word “antecedents” and “hail from” in a meaningful way. It is the reason we have very specific idiosyncrasies and unstated enmities. It is also the reason for our deep-seated superiority complex and insecure chip on the shoulder, for each of us believes that the patch of land we sprung from makes us superior and special in some obscure yet salient way.

This is true whether you are a Rajput from Marwar, or a Goan from Colvale. You don’t care about the next province, leave alone the next state. Your insecurities and enmities have to do with your neighbours: people who call the same patch of land by that resonant word—home. The patch of land that I sprang from plays out in my head in this way.

Strip away the politeness; strip away the—sincere, genuine, authentic—belief in plurality, the abhorrence of “narrow domestic walls”; strip away the garden-party persona and pour a few dirty martinis. Then stream some Carnatic instrumental music, if possible violinist T.N. Krishnan’s rendition of Nidhi Sala in that curly-haired ragam, Kalyani, from your Dynaudio Xeo 6 speakers. Ask me then who I am and I will tell you, somewhat sheepishly, yet bolstered by the music, that I (like T.N. Krishnan) am a Palakkad Iyer.

The music is key; also the martinis. Django Reinhardt or Manitas de Plata will not produce the same answer. Underneath the “we are all one” persona, I am secretly proud of my roots. I was taught to be. Palakkad Iyers make good “cooks, crooks and civil servants”, said former chief election commissioner T.N. Seshan. To that, he could have added musicians because his clan dominates the arts. Actor Vidya Balan; singers Shankar Mahadevan, Usha Uthup, Bombay Sisters, Hariharan and Ranjani-Gayatri: Palakkad Iyers all.

My mother “hails” from Tirunellai, a village near Noorani in the Palakkad district. Palakkad Iyers believe (as do most ethnic groups in India) that we are better than our neighbours. Our women are beautiful and accomplished; our men are fair and charming. We take pride in our food, our character and culture. When Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer, who is from the same village as my father, died recently, the entire clan mourned his demise. And yes, we drop names in select circles to prove our superiority. This is why India is united—not because we are tolerant, but because we haven’t been able to prove, definitively and without doubt, that we are better than our neighbours.

As Palakkad Iyers, my family only cared about proving its superiority to Iyers from Thanjavur, or those pesky Iyengars. If you were a Bengali or Punjabi, we didn’t have a quarrel with you. We would accord you the courtesy of a guest, but you were as foreign as the man from the moon. Our petty hierarchies and feuding quarrels were limited to the neighbours who occupied our land. One way in which Palakkad Iyers claimed superiority (to other Iyers, let it be said) was through music.

The line of musicians who hailed from Palakkad is long. The other was a belief in the curative powers of coconut oil. A third was an affinity for border-dwellers like us. People who lived in the areas bordering states were intellectually superior, I was told. This is why Dharwad produced exceptional musicians. Living on the border made you mentally nimble. It forced you to square off different, and sometimes opposing, constructs. It taught you how to settle into a new home but leave your stamp on it. It taught you to bring Madras to Matunga—actually Palakkad to Matunga, but Madras is a better alliteration.

Shoba Narayan’s Tamil when she hangs around her Palakkad cousins is an unrecognizable mishmash of Malayalam, Tamil and a few choice expletives

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/zKv7XNp51knGxIfJwZp1XM/The-psychology-of-a-Matunga-Tamilian.html?utm_source=copy

Last edited:
hi

nice ...when i was in palakkad..in 70s and 80s....every home in palakkad...some relation in chembur/matunga....even many

cooks/vadhyars moved to bombay and landed in matunga....many kids studied in SIES schools/colleges...the key mantra to

matunga is...COMPLETE SSLC ...PASS TYPEWRITING/SHORTHAND LOWER/HIGHER EXAM...PACK THE LUGGAGES....

REACH OLAVAKKOD JN.......CATCH JAYANTU JANATA EXPRESS...END UP IN BOMBAY MATUNGA/CHENBUR.....FUTURE ASSURED...

As Palakkad Iyers, my family only cared about proving its superiority to Iyers from Thanjavur, or those pesky Iyengars. If you were a Bengali or Punjabi, we didn’t have a quarrel with you. We would accord you the courtesy of a guest, but you were as foreign as the man from the moon. Our petty hierarchies and feuding quarrels were limited to the neighbours who occupied our land. One way in which Palakkad Iyers claimed superiority (to other Iyers, let it be said) was through music.

The line of musicians who hailed from Palakkad is long. The other was a belief in the curative powers of coconut oil. A third was an affinity for border-dwellers like us. People who lived in the areas bordering states were intellectually superior, I was told. This is why Dharwad produced exceptional musicians. Living on the border made you mentally nimble. It forced you to square off different, and sometimes opposing, constructs. It taught you how to settle into a new home but leave your stamp on it. It taught you to bring Madras to Matunga—actually Palakkad to Matunga, but Madras is a better alliteration.

Does Palakkad Iyer community produce more popular Iyers than Thanjavur, both in Music and other fields? It requires a comprehensive debate.

There are Tamil Brahmins from all over Tamil Nadu and Palakkad, settled in Bombay. While the Palakkad Iyers are concentrated in Chembur, the Tanjore Iyers in Matunga, the rest were scattered in Bombay. During the 80s some from Matunga/Chembur shifted to Dombivli, Kalyan etc which claim a significant South Indian population especially Tamilians.

The popular internecine feud between Tanjore Iyers and Palakkad Iyers in Bombay for decades ever since both communities started settling in Bombay is well known even among the Gujaratis and Maratis, who are quick to query if you are from Palakkad or Tanjore the moment they learn you are a Tamil Brahmin. To this day, no boy or girl from either of the communities would date from the other communities although they would from any other community regardless of brahmin status. This bitter hatred is one legacy both the communities have successfully passed on to the current generation so much so that it had spilled over to far away Tamil Nadu and Palakkad.

Could we expect the forthcoming generation to change!

Last edited:
There are Tamil Brahmins from all over Tamil Nadu and Palakkad, settled in Bombay. While the Palakkad Iyers are concentrated in Chembur, the Tanjore Iyers in Matunga, the rest were scattered in Bombay. During the 80s some from Matunga/Chembur shifted to Dombivli, Kalyan etc which claim a significant South Indian population especially Tamilians.

The popular internecine feud between Tanjore Iyers and Palakkad Iyers in Bombay for decades ever since both communities started settling in Bombay is well known even among the Gujaratis and Maratis, who are quick to query if you are from Palakkad or Tanjore the moment they learn you are a Tamil Brahmin. To this day, no boy or girl from either of the communities would date from the other communities although they would from any other community regardless of brahmin status. This bitter hatred is one legacy both the communities have successfully passed on to the current generation so much so that it had spilled over to far away Tamil Nadu and Palakkad.

Could we expect the forthcoming generation to change!

hi

even old generation put venom through new generation.....generally there is saying in palakkad communities...DONT TAKE GAL/BOY

FROM TANJAVUR OR DONT GIVE DAUGHTER/SON TANJAVUR BRAHMINS....LIKEWISE THEY SAY....KUMBAKONATHAN KUDIYE

KEDUTHAANN....same feeling still in our house in chennai/palakkad...they hate each other...

Most of the Palakkad Iyers have their roots in Thanjavur and Trichy Districts only; predominantly Vadamas and Brahacharanams. But, it is rather surprising to note the cold war between the two groups.

The feud may be due to the continuous ego battle between the two sub sects in Tamil Nadu, which was carried by the Iyers who settled in Palakkad and in all probability preserve it. The population of Vathimas and Ashtasahasrams is not much, I believe.

I think, chess wizard Vishwanathan Anand's wife is from Palakkad.

But the fear of perishing in this internecine war is now getting serious with many marriages happening between Thanjavur & Palghat Iyers...The new generation do not have any bias! My Dad's mami is from Palghat 60 years back! So marriages were happening then too, scattered!

I know many Palghat Iyers who in the past have derisively spoken about Tanjore Iyers as Kizhakkan (person from the East)...Similarly the Thanjavur Iyers talk derisively about the Palghat Iyers as Palakkattaan /Bhadrakali!

They are from the same group/origin from Thanjavur!

Tho' the phonological characteristics are different I find many of the Palghat Iyers speak Tamil the same way as the Thanjavur Tamil / Madrasi Tamil ! In the food there is a sprinkling of coconut oil among the Palghat group, but that too is very sparingly used on account of the Cholestrol effect!

hi

my mom is from palakkad side...my dad is from coimbatore....still they are very close each other....they are distant relative too....

still tamil iyers/tanjore iyers never like palakkad iyers...PALAKKAD IYERS NOT FOLLOWING ECHAL/PATHU TOO MUCH...EVEN

ACCHARAMS ALSO FOLOWING LESS IN PALAKKAD IYERS....MY WIFE IS TANJORE AND I FOLLOW GENERALLY PALAKKAD

SYSTEMS....MY IN LAWS NEVER LIKE OUR SYSTEMS....

hi

my mom is from palakkad side...my dad is from coimbatore....still they are very close each other....they are distant relative too....

still tamil iyers/tanjore iyers never like palakkad iyers...PALAKKAD IYERS NOT FOLLOWING ECHAL/PATHU TOO MUCH...EVEN

ACCHARAMS ALSO FOLOWING LESS IN PALAKKAD IYERS....MY WIFE IS TANJORE AND I FOLLOW GENERALLY PALAKKAD

SYSTEMS....MY IN LAWS NEVER LIKE OUR SYSTEMS....

The reason is Palakkad Iyers are not native Kerala Iyers. They migrated from Tamil Nadu for livelihood. As a result, Palakkad Iyers follow customs of both Tamil Nadu and Kerala, and it is more or less like the famous Kerala Avial.

Palakkad iyers have a lilting malayalm accent perhaps because they are comfortable with malayalam.

I said many Iyers of both regions speak in similar accent nowadays because of the Chennai influence! Especially youngsters are comfortable with Madrasi Tamil which both Thanjavur Iyers are Palghat Iyers are at ease and speak with aplomb

The youngsters of all communities have lost their parental accent and use of language. Only in tv, an exaggerated and skewed way of talking by tambrams - iyers and iyengars - can be heard. Iyengar youth (and middle aged) are more comfortable with sambar (instead of paruppu kuzhambu), kari (amudu gone), payasam (thirukkanamudu).

I said many Iyers of both regions speak in similar accent nowadays because of the Chennai influence! Especially youngsters are comfortable with Madrasi Tamil which both Thanjavur Iyers are Palghat Iyers are at ease and speak with aplomb

The writer a Palakkad Iyer writes about the Matunga Tamilian who are essentially from Palakkad or Tanjore..My own Periappa (from Tanjore )settled there in the 1950's..Now it is a large family ..The quintessential Tamilins are at ease whether in Matunga or Vikhroli or Chembur or Thane! They are adept in Marathi & Hindi! My cousin's son studied in Marathi medium there! Now he is a top notch Engineer! Now the migration from the Tamil land to Mumbai has stopped more or less..I too stayed in Mumbai for 4+ years..Like the way the festivals are celebrated! The community feeling is really strong courtesy the Ganpati & Dussehra festivals!

“I grew up in Bombay,” says Gayatri, one half of the Carnatic singing sister duo of Ranjani-Gayatri. “Actually, you should say that I grew up in Matunga, which in many ways is like growing up in an agraharam (an enclave beside a temple, usually occupied by Brahmin priests and their families).”

What is it about Matunga and Chembur that makes these areas a thriving home for south Indian culture? The sisters grew up in a housing society that was surrounded by four temples. The fabled Sri Shanmukhananda hall was down the hall, figuratively speaking. During Margazhi—15 December-15 January—while the rest of Bombay (now Mumbai) drank bed-tea, Matunga’s citizens would congregate on the streets.

Women with dripping wet hair would wait outside housing societies to watch bare-bodied men walking down the street, singing bhajans, clinking kartals (called kinnaram in the south), beating dholaks and tambourines in time to their shaking bellies. “We would circle these mamas (uncles), do namaskaram (prostrate before them) and go in for our morning coffee,” says Gayatri.

Matunga in the 1970s was entirely south Indian. The girls wore long skirts, called pavadai, their oiled, braided hair adorned with flowers.

“When I came for college to Chennai, my classmates couldn’t believe that I grew up in Bombay,” says Gayatri. “I told them that Matunga was different.”

Matunga holds a special place in the imagination of south Indians, because it is the land where our relatives went to make their fortune. They left villages with long, syllable-laden names and returned as posh Bombayites. Suryanarayanan became Suri; Ananthapadmanabhan became Padi; Balasubramanian became Balan; and their daughters became Raji Suri, Priya Padi and Vidya Balan. These early south Indians who migrated to Bombay didn’t forget their roots. Rather, they fulfilled their love and longing for their ancestral homeland by duplicating its ecosystem in their new home.

At the Matunga market, women would bargain vigorously in Tamil. “Not just any Tamil but Palakkad Tamil,” says Gayatri. “Pumpkins were referred to as ellevan (white) or mathan (yellow) pushnikai, instead of the traditional way of calling them vellai or manjal pushnikai.”

Among Tamil-Brahmins, Palakkad Iyers form a unique subset. These were people who could trace their roots to the Palakkad pass between Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Palakkad Iyers, or Pattars as they were called, migrated from Tamil Nadu to Kerala, and felt equally at home speaking Malayalam and Tamil. My father (and mother) is one, and although he spent his career in Madras (now Chennai), he still multiplies in Malayalam.

Palakkad Tamil liberally interspersed with Malayalam is pretty much unrecognizable to locals in Chennai. Each of us has many layers; many personas. There is the global self that is at home in Cuba, Iceland or Japan.

There is a world citizen who skiis in Zermatt, Switzerland, scuba-dives in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia, shops in Rue St Honore, Paris, catches a Broadway show in New York, learns tango in Argentina, and drinks sauvignon blanc in New Zealand. Certainly, if you are a reader of this newspaper, you do all these things and more. Then there is the local self that has to do with family, history, stories and myth.

The local self is why we define ourselves as Syrian Christians, Surtis, Bohra Muslims, Parsis, Kamma Naidus, Kulin Kayasthas, Agarwals, Assamese Kalitas, Sindhis or, in my case, a Palakkad Iyer.

The local self has to do with religion and caste, but it goes much deeper than that. It has to do with a small patch of ground from which we have descended—be it Kathiawar, Kanpur, Khajuraho or Karwar.

It is the reason we Indians use the word “antecedents” and “hail from” in a meaningful way. It is the reason we have very specific idiosyncrasies and unstated enmities. It is also the reason for our deep-seated superiority complex and insecure chip on the shoulder, for each of us believes that the patch of land we sprung from makes us superior and special in some obscure yet salient way.

This is true whether you are a Rajput from Marwar, or a Goan from Colvale. You don’t care about the next province, leave alone the next state. Your insecurities and enmities have to do with your neighbours: people who call the same patch of land by that resonant word—home. The patch of land that I sprang from plays out in my head in this way.

Strip away the politeness; strip away the—sincere, genuine, authentic—belief in plurality, the abhorrence of “narrow domestic walls”; strip away the garden-party persona and pour a few dirty martinis. Then stream some Carnatic instrumental music, if possible violinist T.N. Krishnan’s rendition of Nidhi Sala in that curly-haired ragam, Kalyani, from your Dynaudio Xeo 6 speakers. Ask me then who I am and I will tell you, somewhat sheepishly, yet bolstered by the music, that I (like T.N. Krishnan) am a Palakkad Iyer.

The music is key; also the martinis. Django Reinhardt or Manitas de Plata will not produce the same answer. Underneath the “we are all one” persona, I am secretly proud of my roots. I was taught to be. Palakkad Iyers make good “cooks, crooks and civil servants”, said former chief election commissioner T.N. Seshan. To that, he could have added musicians because his clan dominates the arts. Actor Vidya Balan; singers Shankar Mahadevan, Usha Uthup, Bombay Sisters, Hariharan and Ranjani-Gayatri: Palakkad Iyers all.

My mother “hails” from Tirunellai, a village near Noorani in the Palakkad district. Palakkad Iyers believe (as do most ethnic groups in India) that we are better than our neighbours. Our women are beautiful and accomplished; our men are fair and charming. We take pride in our food, our character and culture. When Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer, who is from the same village as my father, died recently, the entire clan mourned his demise. And yes, we drop names in select circles to prove our superiority. This is why India is united—not because we are tolerant, but because we haven’t been able to prove, definitively and without doubt, that we are better than our neighbours.

Shoba Narayan’s Tamil when she hangs around her Palakkad cousins is an unrecognizable mishmash of Malayalam, Tamil and a few choice expletives

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/zKv7XNp51knGxIfJwZp1XM/The-psychology-of-a-Matunga-Tamilian.html?utm_source=copy

vgane,

That was a nice writeup reproduced here. Thank you. I have lived in Telang road Matunga for three years when I was a young man, a bachelor exploring the opportunities that Bombay offered. I depended for my food on South Indian Concern and the society. Concern offered Tamilnadu taste while society offered Palghat taste. I had many friends from Palghat brahmins. I could relate to many of the experiences mentioned in the writeup. And I still remember the kutcheries which I used to attend in the Shanmukhananda Hall. R.S. Manohar's Lankeswaran drama, and the malayalam drama"Kadamatraththu kaththanaar" I saw in that auditorium are still green in my memory. Thanks.

Last edited:
vgane,

That was a nice writeup reproduced here. Thank you. I have lived in Telang road Matunga for three years when I was a young man, a bachelor exploring the opportunities that Bombay offered. I depended for my food on South Indian Concern and the society. Concern offered Tamilnadu taste while society offered Palghat taste. I had many friends from Palghat brahmins. I could relate to many of the experiences mentioned in the writeup. And I still remember the kutcheries which I used to attend in the Shanmukhananda Hall. R.S. Manohar's Lankeswaran drama, and the malayalam drama"Kadamatraththu kaththanaar" I saw in that auditorium are still green in my memory. Thanks.

I attended Nityasree's recital at Shanmukanandha Sabha..It is a grand and majestic auditorium...Mumbai looked like an extension of Chennai & weather was salubrious compared to Chennai...I have seen most of our community people living in small flats...As small as 300 sq feet with just 1 bedroom...Money paid as pagadi..Life was modest..Money saved was for daughter's marriage /son's education..Now the educated young ones are going for high rises with 2-3 bedrooms and better facilities..Once for my grandpa's ceremony we went to Dombivili at a vaadhyar's flat...Food was also served there...

Last edited:
I attended Nityasree's recital at Shanmukanandha Sabha..It is a grand and majestic auditorium...Mumbai looked like an extension of Chennai & weather was salubrious compared to Chennai...I have seen most of our community people living in small flats...As small as 300 sq feet with just 1 bedroom...Money paid as pagadi..Life was modest..Money saved was for daughter's marriage /son's education..Now the educated young ones are going for high rises with 2-3 bedrooms and better facilities..Once for my grandpa's ceremony we went to Dombivili at a vaadhyar's flat...Food was also served there...

After three years stay in Telang Road I moved over to Santacruz-Kalina near Bombay University where I lived for the next two years before moving from Bombay. Bombay, even though it was far away from home, was never a strange place for me. Food, festivals, people, language everything was very homely. I never missed my home or family because I lived so far away. Every year I used to perform even a sraadhdha for my maternal grandmother (she did not have a male progeny and I did the antim karma for her when she died. I was seven years old then) by going to the Krishna Sabha which was in Kings Circle just in the neighbourhood of Shanmukhananda Hall. The vadhyar there used to remember me well because I was the only person in his clientele who performed sradhdham for a grandmother every year that too coming to him to do that alone without anyone accompanying. I used to go perform the sradhdha, take food and return back to my room. My parents were in my village in Tamilnadu. One week before the sradhdham day I used to go pay an advance and request the vadhyar to make arrangements. He used to tell "I was just wondering why that brahmachari paiyan has not yet come".So living in Bombay was a memorable pleasant experience for me.

After three years stay in Telang Road I moved over to Santacruz-Kalina near Bombay University where I lived for the next two years before moving from Bombay. Bombay, even though it was far away from home, was never a strange place for me. Food, festivals, people, language everything was very homely. I never missed my home or family because I lived so far away. Every year I used to perform even a sraadhdha for my maternal grandmother (she did not have a male progeny and I did the antim karma for her when she died. I was seven years old then) by going to the Krishna Sabha which was in Kings Circle just in the neighbourhood of Shanmukhananda Hall. The vadhyar there used to remember me well because I was the only person in his clientele who performed sradhdham for a grandmother every year that too coming to him to do that alone without anyone accompanying. I used to go perform the sradhdha, take food and return back to my room. My parents were in my village in Tamilnadu. One week before the sradhdham day I used to go pay an advance and request the vadhyar to make arrangements. He used to tell "I was just wondering why that brahmachari paiyan has not yet come".So living in Bombay was a memorable pleasant experience for me.

something common between us. i did sharaddha for my maternal grandparents too..starting with grandma when i was 14. same reason.

As soon as I finished my Engineering graduation in the mid 80's I went to the DRDO lab for an interview & I was staying at my Periappa's flat in Mulund..Later I went to stay at my cousin's place in Byculla..I remember buying stainless steel utensils for my sister's marriage in one of the nearby markets..The Bombay brand of containers (adukku) with 5-6 going one inside other was very famous and the design and style was different from the Madras variety..Bought several types of that & then boarded the train the Chennai..That was my first visit to Mumbai

Later when my job got transferred, we stayed in Thane in year 2000...I could afford a better flat in one of high rises in Manpada where the nearby Lokpuram temple and the Vasant Vihar market being an attraction..We could get all the south indian items from the Nadar stores..I loved the place for the social networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back