• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The most selfish one letter word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings.

Personally, I don't consider that one letter word "I' as most selfish. I consider the one letter 'U' which can denote a word 'You'. The word 'U' is the most selfish. By uttering the word "U', we forget the term "We". We tend to isolate ourselves from the other person. We end up forming two different categories. I being one and 'U' being the other; but if we practice "We' instead, we can add both entities and still have one group.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy ji,

Why do you think so much like me?
I was thinking on the same lines that the letter U is more selfish than the letter I on the same lines you wrote.

The word U totally divorces the other individual from ourselves.
U denotes duality in full force.

I have a friend who never says the word I Love You even to his loved ones and in fact he said 'I love us"
He feels that the word U denotes separate entities hence he says I LOVE US!!

M.A.M is magnetic and you can see and feel the attraction on A.M

by the angle of inclination of his head towards her! :)

May be AM is having Torticollis where the neck bends to one side.
Can be treated with Botox.
Botox relaxes the neck muscles and the neck will be straight again!!

Ha Ha Ha..!!

namaste everyone.

If 'U' is selfish, how about the alphabet 'W' (double U)?

Here is some interesting information about the English alphabets 'V,U,W':

• Did you ever wonder why the alphabet 'W' is pronounced as 'double U' while it is written using 'double V'?

• The reason is that in old English of the times of poet Geoffrey Chauer (1340-1400), the alphabets U and V were used interchangeably, both as a vowel and as a consonant. Only during the 18th century the letter U was established for use as a vowel only.

• The alphabet V was from the Latin V, derived from one form of the Greek Y (upsilon), and was pronounced 'U': thus the letter W came to be pronounced as 'double U', although written using double V.

Sri Anand Manohar, Greetings.

Thank you for the treat! You and your Mrs look great! By the way, I agree your wife looks very young; but you don't look that old either! Very nice indeed!

Cheers!

Sowbagyavathy Rnuka, Greetings.

Dear Raghy ji,

Why do you think so much like me?

This is a meaningless question. Doesn't your brother sometimes think just like you? Possibly this is like that. May be that is why I quite seriously consider as my sister. Hope that explains.

Cheers!

Sri. Saidevo, Greetings.

After reading your message in post #31, I am beginning to think, the letter 'V' is the most unselfish one letter word indicating "We"!

Cheers!

Sowbagyavathy Rnuka, Greetings.

This is a meaningless question. Doesn't your brother sometimes think just like you? Possibly this is like that. May be that is why I quite seriously consider as my sister. Hope that explains.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy ji,

My elder bro thinks like me and he can be real crazy too but my younger bro does not think like me..he is way too serious and prim and proper especially now since he is a father.

Sri. Saidevo, Greetings.

After reading your message in post #31, I am beginning to think, the letter 'V' is the most unselfish one letter word indicating "We"!

Cheers!

The most selfish letter is Z!!
You know why?
Cos when someone is talking to us we zzzzzzzzzzzz off(sleep off!!)

Z is the most non-controversial letter, have you ever got into a fight with with a person catching some ZZZZZ (unless he is on your payroll).

Dear Umaji / URRji

Please don't get bogged-down - they may call you Usha/Asha/Abitha/Whatever, that's
how senior people are!

You either bully or get bullied, you either tease or get tease, that's also how
senior people are.

Come on, jump into the ring and start sparring, I'll cheer you on.

Yay Yem
Dear AM-ji:
When you say “that’s how senior people are”, are you complimenting URR as a young mademoiselle? How do you know that URR does not belong to the same camp as the rest of the gang here?

namaste everyone.

Speaking of English words, here is a gem from KAnchi ParamAchArya:

inimai is the equivalent Tamil for madhuraM. Colloquially, we use the term thitthippu; the literary word is inimai. Some words are distinctively beautiful in Tamil. In those words, the sound is set to match the meaning. inimai is one such word. Of the three letters that occur in the word, every letter is soft, none being harsh.

They term madhuraM is 'sweet' in English. Although the beginning with 'swee' is soft, the 't' sits at the end in the form of a 'takara' as a harsh sound. As somebody said jocularly, when the line 'kuzhalinithu, yazhinithu', which sounds sweet and soft in speech, is translated as 'flute sweet, lute sweet' with the lottu, lottu sound... (without finishing the sentence, Paramacharya gracefully gestures and closes his ears with his palms!)

Even in Sanskrit, when we say madhuraM that 'dhu' sounds a bit harsh. There is another, softer word svAdu. The 'du' here is not the hard 'dhu' that occurs in madhuraM, but a softer 'du'.

The English (term) 'sweet' came only from svAdu, changing the lighter 'du' into a harder 't'.

There are many words in English that are beautiful. With distinctions of sound and meaning, and with different words to indictate subtle variations of a common thing or object, that language also has a lot to talk about. As dRSTAnta, to take the word pani (ice): if the wet leakage of 'moisure' becomes a chill drop of water, it becomes 'dew'; if it is misty, it is 'fog'; and then the 'smog' that is the mixture of 'smoke' and 'fog'! If the dew drop solidifies it is 'frost'; if it freezes from previously being water, it is 'ice'; if the steam becomes ice straight from the atmosphere, it is 'snow'. If that steam condenses and while falling as rain hardens, (we call it Alangatti) it is 'hail'. Like these, there are many words that indicate the many shades of the same thing. What we say with a single word uNarcchi, they classify into two as 'felling' and 'emotion'.

Except that in the discussion of madhuraM as sweetness, the speech digressed a little and I said something amadhuraM, I did not proceed to make comparisons of the greatness or smallness of any language.
--from the book Sollin Selvar Sri Kanchi Munivar by RA.GaNapati

namaste shrI Raghy.

With reference to your post #34, the word 'We' can be selfish as well, because the person who says/thinks about it, more often than not includes only him/her and the people of his/her kind, leaving out the others.

Is there any word in English, Tamizh or Sanskrit (or any other language for that matter) that as a pronoun includes the entire humanity? I don't think so. To include the whole world, we often need to qualify our pronoun: as samasta loka in Sanskrit, ulakam muzhudum in Tamizh or the entire world in English.

Such is perhaps the nature of speech--vAk, which is at best a reduction of thought. In this sense, we might as well say that 'I' is the most unselfish word, because it is the personal expression of the entire humanity and so universal.

Dear AM-ji:
When you say “that’s how senior people are”, are you complimenting URR as a young mademoiselle? How do you know that URR does not belong to the same camp as the rest of the gang here?
The conclusion may be because the thread started disappears after the OP!

The 'seniors' are more likely to spend time in :argue: -ing in this forum!!

The thread is better titled "The least understood one letter word that is the cause of all human suffering in the world"

I thought all the intellectuals are HAPPY to participate in this thread and give their views !! :typing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back