• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

swami padamum thisaiyum

Status
Not open for further replies.
sesh,

can you please post in english; if you wish to post in tamil, do so in tamil script.

this writing tamil in english is very difficult to read.

thanks.

You can place swami photos certainly facing north. No issues over that. But is is sure you should not worship facing south. I mean if the photo is facing north, you should face east or west and pray. Facing north is good and equivalent to east. But photos facing south should be avoided. As per your query, for both (face of a photo as well as our side of worship) south should be avoided. Therka pakara mari edayume vaka kudadu. Swami padam vadaka vekalam thappu illa ana nama kizhaka illa merka pathudan namasakaram pananum. Nettukutha therka pathu vizha kudadu. Therku pakama nama achamana pathram, naivedya pandam idellam vekkave avoid pannidrukome???

Dear Kunjuppu sir,
The query is some persons are telling that some photos should be kept in north direction. If so, can we place photos facing north or they mean that photos should face south and we should face north????

Dear Kunjuppu sir,
The query is some persons are telling that some photos should be kept in north direction. If so, can we place photos facing north or they mean that photos should face south and we should face north????

thank you durga. much appreciated.

I saw your reply mr. durgadasan, but can we keep the dakshinamoorthy photo facing south in the house? and we can be facing north while worshippling. since always the dakshinamoorthy is facing south even in the temples. Kindlt clarify.

G. Kannan

durga,

i hope you don't mind my line of enquiry below. would appreciate your perspective on it.

.. what is this hangup we have with cardinal points?

after all, if we live on either the north or south pole, there are no directions as east west north south.

if we live in the southern hemisphere, i think the directions are reversed? at least impacted due to the polar switch?

after all, are we carrying our ritualistic limitations to a micro level? are these all part of hand me down traditions? or somewhere in the scriptures there are presrciptions re the potentials for goodness flowing from north? and such like....

thank you..

ps.. my first experience of such things, was when i was 14 i think, when my grandma died, and we have to lay her feet facing south .. and such like..

Thank you verymuch for your reply sir,I have sent that question in the Thanglish (tamil in english) just for a change.

Kunjuppu sir,

The major reason why we are avoiding south is because we have much of magnetic flow there towards north-south direction. Ofcourse, god has created all the directions. Iam not detaining the glory of south. Only thing I am mentioning is it is not worth for offering prayers. Thats all. South is also a direction meant for our pithrus. So, by a single way both god and pithrus can't come na??. As Kannan asked, we can place dakshinamoorthy facing south and we can even place other photos too facing south if there is noother possibility, but as I mentioned kindly avoid worshipping facing south. Kunjuppu sir, as you said aftr death we place the holy body facing south. If we people provide everything to god means, what is there to give for our ancestors??? So, for their sake south has been given totally under their control. Am not justifying this sir, but in small rooms and outhouse living culture, everything has to be adjusted. Sir, the only thing in our religion is though it has said so many things, it is not stressing not even a single thing regarding matters like these. If we are not accepting it's rites, it is accepting what we say right. Hope am not wrong.

Kannan sir,
we can very well face north and worship. Avoid south as it is meant for pithru margha.

I have observed some people do prathikshinam in the opposite direction in the Navgraha Murthys temples.I am not aware of the significance of this practice.It some times causes inconvenience both to the people doing prathikshnam and aprithikshnam in the narrow passage that is available around the Navagraha in many of the temples.
S.Sridharan

Dear all,

People says that in navagrahas the rahu and ketu (chaya grahas) revolves in apradhkshina way. So to pacify them, they also do like that. But, we people doesn't know how much rounds the person behind us has completed. All of a sudden, he will turn back, which really cause a disturbance to us. As swamiji said, it is a wrong way.

If those grahas are revolving in apradhkshina way, when we revolve in proper pradhakshina way, that will become apradhakshinam for them. Then only it will be correct. So, always do pradhakshna only.

Pranams

Directions

If u read some of the mantras it is clear that the primary god has been specified for each direction

East---- Indra
South east-- agni
South ------- Yama
SOuth west-- Niruriti
West-----Varuna
North west-- Vaayu
North------- soma
North east--- Ishana
Upward direction-- Brahma
Downward direction-- Vishnu

Based on the above the principles of Vaastu sastra are derived
Since Yama is given the direction of South it is to be avoided

It is entirely wrong as per sastras.....doing apradakshinam....
Planets revolve round the sun and earth also revolves in its own axis....

Based on the principles, sages fixed having worshiping the idols and murthys to have pradakshina namaskara...

Yaani kaani cha paapaani... Janmaantra Kridhani cha...
thaani thaani Vinasyanthi... Pradakshina pathae pathae....

Even for our own aathma, pradakshina namaskaram is being done only on clockwise direction and not on anticlockwise direction..

In Siva temples in Kerala I have seen worshippers not completing the pradakshinam-they do not cross the channel in which abhishekam water flows-- but retrace and do the other half upto the channel

Can you enlighten on this?

Greetings

Actually you should not jump or cross over the gomukha (abhisheka channel). While doing your pradhikshna you should not also cross the shadow of Gopuram. These are the respects that we gave to those things.

Anyhow, we have to complete the pradhakshinam. We should not return in halfway. Only at the time of pradhosham, we can do like that. That is called "Soma sutra pradakshinam". By doing pradakshina on outer prakara, we can totally avoid this problem in many ancient temples.

Umapathy sivachariar gave mukthi to a cactus plant which grew near the gomukh. That much powerful the channel is.

Pranams

SOMASUKTHA PRADHAKSHINA

During the pradhoSham time soma sUtra pradaxiNam is the suggested way of circumambulating the God. In some of the temples this is followed always. A point to note here is that the gomukhi is never crossed. gomukhi is the place where the water after anointing (abhiSheka tIrtam) would be flowing northwards out. By doing this way of pradaxiNam one does not step over this holy water.
As per the above marked symbols this pradaxiNam is to be done. First saluting the R^iShabha devar (Holy Bull) go anti-clockwise and salute chaNdIshar (not crossing the gomukhi). Now return in the clockwise manner salute R^iShabham and continue clockwise till the gomukhi (not cross it again). Then return in anti-clockwise direction salute the R^iShabham again and proceed towards chaNdIshar. From there return back clockwise without worshiping R^iShabham and reach the gomukhi. Finally return back anti-clockwise from there to salute R^iShabham and continue to chaNdIshar and return back to R^iShabham and worship the shiva li.ngam (at the altar) by viewing through the space between the two horns of the Holy bull. This is one pradaxiNam. Three such times pradaxiNam to be done. If you carefully observe the curve traced by doing the pradaxiNam is very similar to the periphery of the crescent. Hence this way of circumambulating is called soma sUtra pradaxiNam

Courtesy: www.shaivam.org

Pranams

There are some devotees to the temple after having dharshan of the diety or before that strike the bell hung from the ceiling.I do not know whether this is proper to do.Normally the bell is meant for use when the curtain is drawn and Neivediam is offered to the Lord or when the deeparaadhanai is performed.This practice is more prevalent in the north Indian temples than in the south.
S.Sridharan

Last edited:
The Bell, known in Sanskrit as the Ghanta/Ghanti is used in all poojas for invoking the Gods. The ringing of the bell produces what is regarded as an auspicious sound. It produces the sound Om, the universal name of the Lord. There should be auspiciousness within and without, to gain the vision of the Lord who is all-auspiciousness.
Another significance of ringing the bell is that they help drown any inauspicious or irrelevant noises and comments that might disturb or distract the worshippers in their devotional ardor (dedication), concentration and inner peace.
Agamaarthamtu devaanaam Gamanaarthamtu rakshasaam
Kurve ghantaaravam tatra Devataahvaahna lakshanam Means:
I ring this bell indicating the invocation of divinity, So that virtuous and noble forces enter (my home and heart); And the demonic and evil forces from within and without, depart.

During Naivedhya or deparadhana, archakas rang the bell to converge all the devotees to the particular shrine. Also, to avoid any unwanted discussions. It is not that only that time, you have to ring the bells. But the purpose they do by that time is to announce everyone inside the temple that pooja is over. Also, when the swami is veiled with curtain, normally we people will start talking or simply chatting, or sometimes they may even went off thinking that the shrine is closed. To avoid all these things, bells are ringing at that time. Even in the entrance doors of shrines, bells will be there. We can ring that too while entering.

So, ringing bells in temples is not a wrong thing I think. But it may sometimes disturb the people doing some meditation or reciting some slokas there. Ringing bells itself is a worship in buddhism. So, nothing wrong in ringing the bell sir. Ofcourse, the purpose is for it only. Ringing the bell gives you sparsha pleasure for hands, seeing its beauty, hearing its om kara thwani (ears). Three-in-one.

Pranams

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back