• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Surrendering Green Card and Applying normal 10 year US Tourist Visa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surrendering Green Card and Applying normal 10 year US Tourist Visa

We have been toying with the idea of Surrendering our US Green Card and obtaining normal 10 Year US Visitors Visa quite sometime.

We got in touch with many of our friends including Dr. renukaji, and Raji Ram Madam for advice.

Everyone was giving their best advice to us and cautioned us to choose the best course suited to our family conditions.

We have a Son and Daughter; son and his family are settled in US and they are US Citizens; our daughter and son in law are doctors by Profession, British Citizens and their family is settled in UK.

Neither of them are willing to relocate to India and that is the position.

As we are holding only Green Card , we are not eligible for Free Medical Treatment, and to become an US Citizen, we need to stay in US for a continuous period of 6 years!! Then only we are eligible for free medical Treatment on certain conditions .

The cost of medical treatment is very High in US as compared to India.

As we , myself and my wife are aged, we were worried about our any serious medical issues we may be facing in future.

So we decided to surrender our Green Card and get normal 10 year US Tourist Visa and applied for it,( Necessary Forms for Lawfully surrendering Green Card and 10 year Tourist Visa ) although the thought of one of us becoming single and the problem of facing it haunted us quite sometime.

At the interview US Embassy Official gave us very good Advice:

He said that we can still retain our Green Card and at the same time apply for 10 year Visitors Visa, and once the Visitors Visa is issued , our Green card becomes ornamental only; but at a later date ,if we still wish to cancel / surrender our Green card we can still do so; and if we wish to surrender our Visitors Visa at a future date, Green Card can be used to enter US with all its Advantages.

In the meantime, our Visitors Visa is the only document with all limitations can be used to enter US, not Green Card.

This is something we thought is the Best for us as when one of us become single at a future date, still we can use the option of reviving Green Card and staying with our son's family.

So we got US Visitors visa valid till 18 th August 2024.... very long for us as both of us are old now itself.

This suits us for the time being , only future will tell us whether we did it rightly or otherwise.

I thought that this Thread might help someone in the Forum who are also facing a similar issue about

surrendering Green card and applying for 10 year tourist Visa

Last edited:
Dear P J Sir,

You have got the best advice from the U S Embassy official. :thumb:

FYI, many oldies touch their nineties with ease! So, worry not!

It is a long long way to go for you and your better half!

All the best to you both! :)

P.S: Your visit to our sweet home is overdue!

Congratulation on getting a good advice, and your decision.
Just out of curiosity, don't have to visit USA every six months to keep your green-card alive?

Congratulation on getting a good advice, and your decision.
Just out of curiosity, don't have to visit USA every six months to keep your green-card alive?

Prasadji

Green Card is only ornamental now, no need to visit US within 180 days, can revive Green Card at a later date if we surrender our Visitors Visa.

This seems to be a very good option.

Last edited:
PJsir, many senior citizens who went to work abroad in late fifties and sixties are facing relocation issues after they are in late sixties or early seventies agewise

india has irreparably changed in fifty odd years . it may not be the heavan they left behind

however lifestyle is still cheap by western standards

what kind of living options are you envisaging in India if it is not personal.

it would be nice if you can maintain your freedom with out getting into senior citizen homes

if I can do anything for you let me know. with best wishes

Dear Krish Sir

Thank you for your concern.

The purpose of myself and my wife re locating to Chennai is not only our Health issues but also to dispose off some property in our possession.

As this will take some time , we thought that it is better to resettle in Chennai, and visit our son and daughter as and when we wish.

We have our own income, no intention to stay in any old age home for the time being.

We intend to take a small rented home, nearer to my younger brother's home so that in case we need any help, it will be available

our Sambandhi is also a Practicing Doctor, attached to a Clinic, we can refer our Health issues to him for Advice and treatment.

As we have now Visitors Visa to US, we can visit our son's family, as and when we wish for a short duration, without being tied down there for months.

We have also UK Visa, and we can visit our daughter's place also whenever we wish, for a Short period.

So that's is it.

Dear Krish Sir

Thank you for your concern.

The purpose of myself and my wife re locating to Chennai is not only our Health issues but also to dispose off some property in our possession.

As this will take some time , we thought that it is better to resettle in Chennai, and visit our son and daughter as and when we wish.

We have our own income, no intention to stay in any old age home for the time being.

We intend to take a small rented home, nearer to my younger brother's home so that in case we need any help, it will be available

our Sambandhi is also a Practicing Doctor, attached to a Clinic, we can refer our Health issues to him for Advice and treatment.

As we have now Visitors Visa to US, we can visit our son's family, as and when we wish for a short duration, without being tied down there for months.

We have also UK Visa, and we can visit our daughter's place also whenever we wish, for a Short period.

So that's is it.

Your choice is ideal for you. I wish you all happiness.

Really agood decision .i suggested this to my sister age 70 years and who is tossing herself between US and India ,just to keep herself in touch with her relatives and friends and also to safeguard her interests here as well as in USA. When I told her about this option available to her, she was immensely pleased. our thanks to you sir and to forum

hi p j sir,

i have another option for u...i feel more safe this option....instead of surrendering green card....recently some months

back ..i got my U S citizenship...in reality...im not really interested in citizenship....becoz i dont want loose my indian citizenship...

im a indian govt pensioner...i have a property in chennai/delhi....even i have a property in U S too...still i dont want US citizenship...

my kids are in USA...they dont want to come to india....my wife also doesnt want to come to india....but i dont like severe cold

winter in USA....now im planning to come to every year for winter season...even i can get my US medical/social security in india....

i can visit most of the countries in the world without visa,...bacoz im an US citizen...if im an indian passport holder...i cant visit

many european countries with indian citizenship....so decided to get my US passport...now i got 10 yrs indian tourist visa...

im planning for OCI card...so better US passport with indian visa is an ideal for like us....our life is TRISANGU SWARGAM....

NA GHAR KA ...NA GHAAT KA....this is purely my view...

tbs garu

We also know about this option

This option is not possible for us as one has to stay in US for 6 years ( those days when you are out of US is deducted ).

That means by the time we are eligible for US citizenship , provided we complete 6 years of stay in US, i will be over 84 or so!!

We have to wait for many more years to become eligible for US Citizenship.

tbs garu

We also know about this option

This option is not possible for us as one has to stay in US for 6 years ( those days when you are out of US is deducted ).

That means by the time we are eligible for US citizenship , provided we complete 6 years of stay in US, i will be over 84 or so!!

We have to wait for many more years to become eligible for US Citizenship.
hi

surrendering green card may be easy.....but getting is tough...

tbs Garu

Did you read my thread fully? Please read it fully and then post your comment please.

I did not surrender my Green Card yet, it is with us, we can revive it at a later date if we wish so.

tbs Garu

Did you read my thread fully? Please read it fully and then post your comment please.

I did not surrender my Green Card yet, it is with us, we can revive it at a later date if we wish so.

hi sir

i know....but certain conditions to be followed for retaining card....there is no much differen between green card/citizenship...

ONLY VOTING IS DIFFERENCE....

tbs garu

Still i feel you are totally wrong about my Thread.

PLEASE READ AGAIN and AGAIN MY OPENING POST, probably you will understand it better.

I need not maintain Green card with all its conditions. it is for the time being only ornamental.

When i wish to revive it, i can do so by surrendering my tourist Visa and then only maintaining Green Card with all its rights and responsibilities come into force.

IF YOU STILL HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT SURRENDERING GREEN CARD AND AT THE SAME TIME HAVING TOURIST VISA >>>>>>>>>> No one can clear your doubt!!!!!

Last edited:
tbs garu

Still i feel you are totally wrong about my Thread.

PLEASE READ AGAIN AGAIN MY OPENING POST, probably you will understand it better.

I need not maintain Green card with all its conditions. it is for the time being only ornamental.

When i wish to revive it, i can do so by surrendering my tourist Visa and then only maintaining Green Card with all its rights and responsibilities come into force.

IF YOU STILL HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT SURRENDERING GREEN CARD AND AT THE SAME TIME HAVING TOURIST VISA >>>>>>>>>> No one can clear your doubt!!!!!

hi sir,

sorry...i can understand your view point...is it possible legally?..just curious...

Yes Tbs Garu

We have our Green Card still with us.

We need not maintain Green Card anymore as it is only ornamental as of now ; For entry into US , we can ONLY USE Tourist Visa with all its conditions and limitations.

Later on in Future, at any time, if we wish to surrender Tourist Visa, we can do so and revive Green Card !!

This option is useful, when one of us become Single!!

Yes Tbs Garu

We have our Green Card still with us.

We need not maintain Green Card anymore as it is only ornamental as of now ; For entry into US , we can ONLY USE Tourist Visa with all its conditions and limitations.

Later on in Future, at any time, if we wish to surrender Tourist Visa, we can do so and revive Green Card !!

This option is useful, when one of us become Single!!
hi
i understood now...it means ..you have both now...visa as well as green card....its ok....lets see...

hi sir

i know....but certain conditions to be followed for retaining card....there is no much differen between green card/citizenship...

ONLY VOTING IS DIFFERENCE....
There is a lot of difference between green card and citizenship.
Green Card:
Unlimited access to USA.
You are still Indian Passport holder and Indian Citizen.
No need for Indian Visa.
No Access to Medicare.
You must return to USA every six months.
Once you have surrendered or (kept it as a souvenir) your green card you can not be eligible to get US citizenship.
Getting US visa is at the whim of passport officer at that time.
My friends parents who used to visit every 3 years were denied their visa this time.

Last edited:
Well explained Prasadji.. Thanks
India does not allow duel citizenship. US allows Duel nationality.
If you get US passport, your Indian passport is VOID. But Indian Government has no way of finding out. So one must be very careful.

Really agood decision .i suggested this to my sister age 70 years and who is tossing herself between US and India ,just to keep herself in touch with her relatives and friends and also to safeguard her interests here as well as in USA. When I told her about this option available to her, she was immensely pleased. our thanks to you sir and to forum

Sir

If your Sister is holding Green Card and willing to obtain Visitors Visa in lieu of it, then only it is possible.

A sightly unethical (?) but perfectly legal way to get US medical benefits is to qualify for Medicaid (this is state by state requirement). Then even if you are Green Card Holder you become eligible for health benefits.

The children's income or their guarantee is not required.
One of my acquaintance in Texas is on this program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back