• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Success sans ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends what success means to us..most people measure success on the material(money) scale and that is where all problems starts.

One should consider himself/herself successful if they have led a life based on ethics without any regrets.

I have seen many people who have been ethical all thru their life but in old age they sort of regret and feel those who have been unethical seem to be more "successful" than them and have more money etc.

This should not happen..when one decides to be ethical they should not regret ever even if the lack money cos ethics is priceless.

It all depends what success means to us..most people measure success on the material(money) scale and that is where all problems starts.

One should consider himself/herself successful if they have led a life based on ethics without any regrets.

I have seen many people who have been ethical all thru their life but in old age they sort of regret and feel those who have been unethical seem to be more "successful" than them and have more money etc.

This should not happen..when one decides to be ethical they should not regret ever even if the lack money cos ethics is priceless.
while conceding ethics is priceless, people require material wealth for decent living.many hide behind ethics to justify non action andnon performance. . these regret later that they did not take marginal decisions due to low risk appetite.
I know some non performers who talk about ethics all the time and are totally ineffective in life shunned by all
if the world around follows a set of rules to live well , it is wise to join the crowd.there is an amnesty for minor breaches. these non performers are the types which regret later

Last edited:
while conceding ethics is priceless, people require material wealth for decent living.many hide behind ethics to justify non action andnon performance. . these regret later that they did not take marginal decisions due to low risk appetite.
I know some non performers who talk about ethics all the time and are totally ineffective in life shunned by all
if the world around follows a set of rules to live well , it is wise to join the crowd.there is an amnesty for minor breaches. these non performers are the types which regret later

One should learn to live within one's own salary and make adjustments by trying to cut down on unwanted expenses.

Risk taking is totally different from being unethical..there are people who are ethical and also risk takers and have achieved material success too..I am not denying that.

I will give you an example about ethics.

Some few years back a driving school owner came with 100 medical test forms for his school drivers.

He told me that he wants me to sign the forms ..so I told him to bring his drivers for medical examination in stages cos I wont be able to conduct 100 medical examinations at one go.

To my surprise he said "doc ..who is asking you to conduct those examinations..just sign the form and I will pay you the same amount due..so you will get money without having even to do anything"

I told him NO and said I will not certify anyone fit without examining them cos here lives are at stake..an unfit driver should not be on the road.

Then he told me many other doctors would just lap up this chance and I let go of it..he walked away telling me "Doc you really dont know how to live"

I was thinking in my mind that his idea of living is money and my idea of living is being ethical.

I asked my other friends what they would have done in such a situation and they told me that I should have asked that guy to go to their clinics! My friends were willing to be unethical all for some extra bucks!LOL

So you see..thinking differs.

BTW I only call someone an under performer if he/she had not tried to do even the basic minimum of their job.

Someone who is ethical and lives within his/her means even if that seems "less" money from the worldy point of view is NOT an under performer.

Last edited:
One should learn to live within one's own salary and make adjustments by trying to cut down on unwanted expenses.

Well said Mam,

Most of us know Lal Bahadur Shastri, an honest and noble Prime Minister of India with impeccable qualities of leadership, simplicity, etc. He also proved to be a true administrator and an inspiration for the youth as well as nation builders. He rose from the rank of an ordinary party worker to the level to become Prime Minister.

An incident happened in his life which I would like to share here:

While Lal Bahadur Shastri was serving as a party worker, he was paid a sum of Rs.40/= towards monthly salary.

One day, a friend of his called on him and requested hand loan of Rs.50/- to meet out an emergency situation.

Sastri replied that how can he spare Rs.50/= while his whole monthly salary being Rs.40/= only.

Sastri’s wife who was listening to the discussion, considering the plight of the friend who has an urgent need, went inside and came out and offered Rs.50/= to the family friend who left happily.

Now, Sastri asked his wife as to how was she able to spare Rs.50/= to his friend.

She replied that she saved Rs.10/= every month’s salary. He appreciated her for running the family with strict economy.

Next day Sastri , went to Office and asked them to reduce his salary to Rs.30/= as his wife was able to run the family with a salary of Rs.30/= per month.

We had such noble personalities!!

renukaji
taking a stand based on ethics is fine as long one does not regret later the lost material gain for being ethical.
I know children who hate parents because they were ethical and did not use their position to place their children in good school/college /job
they come across others who are mediocre who are placed in good position by parents using their clout.

you have heard of quotas being used by influential people.for school ,college admissions . or placing kids in jobs utilising their position in govt. where is the ethics in this. those who do not do this would be considered fools if the kids do not take off in life due to parents foolishness to look after their kith and kin

this kind of holier than thou attitude and being impractical does not qualify these people for any awards.

I have a relative who refused to help his child in job placement when he was a top govt functionary.
his colleague found this out and got my relatives son placed in a job.
my relative rang up his sons employer and told him to withdraw the job offer to his own son. what would you call this behaviour. perversely ethical?

Ethics and values help create order in a society or community of individuals, as well as within oneself. Although there are some similarities between ethics and values, there are also some notable differences. In general, a person's ethics and values help them make decisions and form opinions about various topics and issues.

The differences between ethics and values can seem almost arbitrary, as the difference is subtle. Ethics determine what ought to be and help decide what is consistent with someone's own personal beliefs. Values are the principles and standards in which we judge worth. They lead us to take positions on social issues and guide the way we present ourselves to others. Both are important factors in shaping our opinions and our overall perceptions as individuals.

No two person has the same ethics, and even for that same person ethics may differ depending on time and space.
If one has very strong convictions, and lives by their values, they will have to face the consequence of their conviction.

Mahatma Gandhi's sons could not use their fathers name. In a way they felt it to be unfair, because all others used their family background to advance their personal goal. So as a father Gandhiji did not fulfill his children's dream, and he failed them on social responsibilities.

But who am I to judge such luminary as Gandhiji.

If you can live with your values, and it is not contradictory to your social value, you would be considered a ethical person.
Before leaving India, I had a strong ethical value, but since moving to USA it underwent some changes. Before marriage I had some ethical values, that had to be compromised after marriage.

renukaji
taking a stand based on ethics is fine as long one does not regret later the lost material gain for being ethical.
I know children who hate parents because they were ethical and did not use their position to place their children in good school/college /job
they come across others who are mediocre who are placed in good position by parents using their clout.

you have heard of quotas being used by influential people.for school ,college admissions . or placing kids in jobs utilising their position in govt. where is the ethics in this. those who do not do this would be considered fools if the kids do not take off in life due to parents foolishness to look after their kith and kin

this kind of holier than thou attitude and being impractical does not qualify these people for any awards.

I have a relative who refused to help his child in job placement when he was a top govt functionary.
his colleague found this out and got my relatives son placed in a job.
my relative rang up his sons employer and told him to withdraw the job offer to his own son. what would you call this behaviour. perversely ethical?

What is there to regret..my father used to tell us that he brought me and my brothers up and made all 3 of us professionals by saving his hard earned money.

My father too never used his top influence to get anyone of us jobs..he feels that may the best candidate get the job and we need to work hard to get a job and not get a job thru recommendation cos that is how unethical work starts

I feel that is the best advise a father can give his children.

Its not holier than thou attitude but just being capable without being dependent on others.

BTW how much money does anyone really need..I make a monthly list and actually frankly speaking we do not need that much money to have a comfortable life.

Its just that people tend to over spend.

Last edited:
Ethics is very important. I reject the notion that that success can be measured by material excess. The ultimate yardstick of success is whether one can maintain inner peace. This would mean that one can successfully withstand anything that tries to disturb one's peace and can think in a composed manner. One's emotions are healthy. Such a person would always take the right decision because his thinking has clarity and foresight. He will never regret his past decisions because of the foresight built into his thinking.

On the contrary a person who is after wealth generally thinks of instantaneous and the tangible. His emotions are generally not healthy. Even all his planning excludes the impact of the intangibles which may well twist his fate.

In my view success and ethics go together. Due to the nature of the present time, that may not seem to be the case. But this very nature of the time itself is a short term reality and not likely to sustain for long because of the inherent contradictions of this reality.

Folks, let us discern this truth and strive to be ethical in whatever we do. There is a real difference in the quality of the feeling that one gets in helping the needy and one gets in the enormity of one's wealth. Acquiring wealth per se is not bad but let us not make that our goal. Wealth may well follow ethics but ethics does not follow wealth.

What is there to regret..my father used to tell us that he brought me and my brothers up and made all 3 of us professionals by saving his hard earned money.

My father too never used his top influence to get anyone of us jobs..he feels that may the best candidate get the job and we need to work hard to get a job and not get a job thru recommendation cos that is how unethical work starts

I feel that is the best advise a father can give his children.

Its not holier than thou attitude but just being capable without being dependent on others.

BTW how much money does anyone really need..I make a monthly list and actually frankly speaking we do not need that much money to have a comfortable life.

Its just that people tend to over spend.
if children are brilliant , there is no need for parental support.

they are 10 percent of the educated.

the balance require to be kick started in life

job situation being what it is with quotas and sub quotas , the forward community finds it difficult to get a job

when I was young ,I faced with a similar predicament found a professor in my college who kick started my career

I was lucky to get a job without family support but an academic professor got me placed in a job which he need not have

to do.I had to wait for one year for the job. so I know what unemployment means.

now I do not hesitate to use my name to help employ anyone who comes with a need for job. I do not think of ethics

and such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back