• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

SriBhashyam

Hello All,

Till now, I had been much involved with myself and the goals that I set myself that I forgot the need to learn the scriptures. This can be seen from the threads that I have posted previously.

I am now trying to turn that around and start with reading about Sri Ramanuja Acharya's Sribhashyam. In this quest, I came upon Dr. M.A.Alwar's commentary on the subject which is available as a series of video lectures on youtube. But the videos are each approx. 1 hour long and so it is difficult to sit through a lecture in one sitting in this hectic kaliyuga.

To help memorize what is said in the lectures for myself and hopefully for the benefit of the members of this forum too, I will make a sincere attempt to first post the video and then post the transription of the data in the video as subsequent posts .. I will do my best to adhere to what is being said in the videos. Please post in this thread only if you have a strong basis for your comments. Frivolous comments and nitpicks are best avoided. Please do post on this thread if you have something to add to what has been written here and is relevant to sribhashyam without denegrating it.

I must note that the idea on this thread was in part inspired by the handle sravna who has been posting about spiritual energy in the General discussions sub-forum. I hope to gain more satsang here.

Thanks,

Sri Bhashyam by M A Alwar - Class 1
Transcription till 4:40s

As per our sampradaya and srivaishnava thought process, 4 Granthams have to be learnt. These are Sribhashyam, geetha bhashyam, bhagavath vishayam and rahasya grantham. All srivaishnava are supposed to familiarize themselves with these.

First two are samskrita grantham, Sribhashyam talks about the Bhagavad sutras and geetha bhashyam talks about the bhashyam of bhagavath geetha. Bhagavath vishayam is swami nammalwar thriuvazhmozhi

rahsya grantham talks about how a srivaishnava’s conduct should be in society, how to interact with other srivaishnavas, What mano bhavam should be there.

Bhadarayana maharishi wrote uttara memamsa soothram which is also the bhagavad sutras. Bhashyam is commentary in english but it is much more than commentary, it is called vyakyanam. Bhashyam should not be limited to the definition of commentary. Bhashyam is a technical term which has its own definition.

Latest ads

Back