• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

sponsor / Donation required for Sri Maha Sudarshan Homam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freedom of expression, in this forum, is a wonderful thing; we can prop up stumblers against any thread anywhere in the forum, even though there is a place for it elsewhere.

Well, this is a general comment, as is this post.

For those atheists, agnostics and sceptics (AAS) who do not believe in Yagas and Yagnas and question homams and their benefits, I wish to share an interesting fact about a particular Yagam - Soma Yagam.

This is conducted in Kerala and the sampradaya devolves hereditarily. It is said that at the end of the Yagam, the priests set the Yagasala on fire and go for a dip in the river and before they return, rain falls. Now this is not something which I am pulling off from the net; one of my office colleagues, an elderly person from Kerala, said this to me. I knew of this Yagam only through him (about a year ago).

It is not certain when the next Yagam would occur. But when it happens, AAS can certainly visit the place along with their paraphernalia and check it out for themselves. Probably you may meet me too... :)

Addl. info - The malayalam movie 'Paithrukam' revolves around this... BTW, it is a wonderful movie.

Regards,

<<I would probably be out of action in this forum for probably 2-3 months... :bolt: >>

Last edited by a moderator:
... AAS can certainly visit the place along with their paraphernalia and check it out for themselves. Probably you may meet me too...

I would love to meet you in person and shoot some bull, and in this respect I will surely miss you here in this forum during your hiatus.

Here is what I have to say about the Soma Yagam conducted in Kerala.

• At least srinikam found a source where some motivated people took the time to setup a web site. You are citing an exchange at an office water cooler.
  • Whether it rains or not the next time the yagam is conducted, nothing conclusive can be established. A properly designed randomized and controlled study must be conducted to make a proper determination.
  • If indeed Soma Yagam will result in rain, it is unconscionable to keep this knowledge secret within Kerala or India. There are many placed on this planet desperate for rain. Those who are convinced rain can be made to fall by performing this Yagam has a moral obligation to demonstrate this and make it widely available for the benefit of the Vasudeva Kudumbam that Hinuds love to cite. When scientists who are convinced of their discovery try every way possible to bring the benefits of their discovery to the general public, why should we expect anything less from the Vaideekas? BTW, predicating success to faith is a cop out.
Cheers!

Folks,

With increasing affluence of TBs, homams at home and mass homams in public venues have become increasingly common. Lots of ghee, nuts, fruits, and expensive silk garments get thrown ritually into fire. Pious people standing around are awestruck, either genuinely or fake it very convincingly. Cameras click away. Photos get circulated in Picassa, Flickr or Facebook. An occasional pattern in the flames resembling Anjanesya or Garuda or Nandhi create frenzied excitement all around. All good fun.

nara,you are wrong.its not only tambrahms who do yagnam and homa but all personality traits people do like kshathriyas,vaishyas,shudras.

But, what is the purpose of conducting these mass homas? What benefits are supposed to accrue to those conducting them and those sponsoring them?

when pancha bhoothas are propitiated,harmony prevails.brahmanas,kshatriyas,viashyas,shudras have a job.

In general we can look at human activities productive or consumptive. Homam is at best a consumptive action, it does not produce anything. It may generate a lot of economic activity, but all of it is consumptive. If this consumption provides fun, excitement, and satisfaction to some -- say like seeing a good movie or reading a good novel -- then it is all fine I suppose.

production is for consumption.how you perceive it is your outlook.

But I am not very convinced. These kinds of activities promote gross superstitions and prepare the minds of the masses to accept any claim of spirituality blindly. It is no wonder a million godmen and godmwomen thrive even after getting outed. There is no use griping about the activities of these charlatans, they are only the drug pushers. It is the drug addiction that must be dealt with.

Cheers!

only if a demand for drug is there,drug pushers thrive.i am talking about natural demand not an artificial demand created by humanity.god men/women are there becoz of atheists and agnostics are there.if there are no atheists or agnostics,godmen or godwomen will not be there.

god men/women are there becoz of atheists and agnostics are there.if there are no atheists or agnostics,godmen or godwomen will not be there.

Huh, how is that?

In any case, truth be told, the godmen of India are amateurs, they mess around with consenting women and for that they get caught and end up behind bars.

Look at the godmen here in the U.S. They mess around with boys and male prostitutes, and when they are outed they go through some therapy, get cured and they are back on the saddle again. In the case of catholic priests messing around with alter boys, they get transferred to a different parish for a fresh crop of boys. These guys are pros.

But one thing is common, the gullible followers in both countries are ever ready to forgive and forget.

Cheers!

nara

Huh, how is that?

In any case, truth be told, the godmen of India are amateurs, they mess around with consenting women and for that they get caught and end up behind bars.

this would happen even if atheists try this,isn't it?

Look at the godmen here in the U.S. They mess around with boys and male prostitutes, and when they are outed they go through some therapy, get cured and they are back on the saddle again. In the case of catholic priests messing around with alter boys, they get transferred to a different parish for a fresh crop of boys. These guys are pros.

But one thing is common, the gullible followers in both countries are ever ready to forgive and forget.

Cheers!

i think laws are well implemented in usa,as there is an established tradition to prove,and its an ongoing process even now.yes,some stray incidents of choir boys girls by priets ,nuns have been reported,its not that entire priestdom or nunneries are infected with deperado pedo's and lesbo's,isn't it?

naturally we cannot have barbaric laws of chopping off genitals for their crimes,or are you insisting chopping?

but homam is good saathvic ritual,to harmonise nature and natural state of people.though i agree,abisekham,yagna,homam etc can be done with minimal usage of resources and the rest can be donated to poor people.

I read recently as under:
Adi Sankaracharya Teachings – On Rituals
"Rituals are like blankets that veil the truth. They are nets to trap our intellect, forcing us to confine our consciousness to the superficial values of the manifest world. The thinking of a person who believes exclusively in ritual practices becomes confined to this little world. Subtle thoughts of the mind and tender feelings of heart become outward oriented. Such a person begins to believe that everything can be accomplished with the help of rituals.
Adi Sankaracharya
(Source: The Tradition of the Himalayan Masters – Pandit Rajmani, Ph.D.

Humbly to state,may be we have not evolved to a level we can take cognisance of the above, but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back