• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Splendid History of Triplicane

Maha52

Way back in 1970, I landed at Triplicane... during my first visit to Chennai.

It was then named Pycrofts Road now perhaps name changed and I was able to see Kannagi Statue on the shore of Bay of Bengal.

Cherishing memories of Triplicane...where I spent several years enjoying its close proximity to number of temples, Chepauk Stadium, Marina Beach, Madras University, Mount Road, Campfire at Lady Wenlock park, Iron Bridge, Rathna Cafe, Govt. Estate, etc etc

Let us revisit these historic important places.....

Memories of Madras - ‘My heart beats for Triplicane'
By Prince Frederick

Vikku Vinayakram on the city's rich cultural atmosphere and why Triplicane was at the centre of his universe

1573871924587.png

My heart beats in synchrony with the pulse of Triplicane, because I've lived there for 53 years. During the brief period I spent in Kilpauk, the longing to return to Triplicane was intense. I missed the many things I had grown up with — a confounding choice of cafes, a dozen theatres within a radius of a kilometre, weekend concerts and the mellow chanting of priests in temples.

Read more at:

Last edited:
Triplicane: Confluence of cultural riches
By Lalithasai

1573872116125.png

Jaya and her friends used to hurry home from school so that they could spend as much time as possible on ‘Radio Beach’ — the stretch on the Marina bang opposite Sunkuwar Street and the PWD building. After finishing their homework, they would run to the children’s park on Radio Beach. After a round on the swing and the seesaw, the tired children would sit on the cement benches, swaying their heads to the film songs that would play on speakers fitted on lean, tall poles.

85-year-old Rajammal recalls the days immediately after her marriage, when she would saunter along with her husband on the lover’s path, a few feet away from the children’s play area. “Lined with casuarina trees on either side, it was a roughly-laid pathway. Unlike today, all was quiet about the place,” she adds.

Last edited:
Memories of Madras – The call of concerts
By Divya Kumar

1573957079449.png

As a young boy living in Triplicane in the 1930s, I was crazy about both music and cinema. I just had to see the first-day first-show of all the Tamil films that was released at Star Talkies on Triplicane High Road. I'd go whenever I had four annas — enough for the wooden benches in the front or the ‘four anna seats', as they were called. I'd run small errands for my mother to earn that money!

Please read more at:

Chepauk - one of the great cricketing venues

It is acknowledged as one of the great cricketing venues in the world. It has history, tradition and a certain ambience all its own that has won the admiration of players, officials and mediapersons from all over the country and abroad. The MA Chidambaram stadium in Chepauk, Chennai, is also the most famous sporting landmark in a city that prides itself on sporting excellence and producing some of the greatest sportsmen and women in the country. Quite appropriately, the hallowed turf has seen numerous outstanding performances and has been witness to many stand-out international matches, headed by Tied Test II.

………………………………………..

The Chepauk crowd is among the most sporting and knowledgeable in the cricketing world. They appreciate good cricket irrespective of which team provides it and the crowning glory came when they gave a standing ovation to the Pakistan team as they did their victory lap after defeating India by 12 runs in January 1999. Javed Miandad was moved to say `Salaam Chennai' in his column in homage to the sporting nature of the Chepauk cricket fans.

Chepauk is also noted for providing sporting wickets. There is always something in it for batsmen and bowlers. The fact that both fast bowlers and spin bowlers have done well on this ground is testimony to the `fifty-fifty' surfaces laid out by the ground staff. Not unexpectedly, Chepauk has provided more decisive results than any other ground in India. Another notable factor in Chepauk's favour is the TNCA administration. Experienced officials ensure that the matches are organized smoothly and players' comforts are looked into by a dedicated and knowledgeable staff. The dynamic qualities of the pioneering administrators such as P Subbarayan, CR Pattabhiraman, KS Ranga Rao, S Sriraman and S Annadorai cannot be over emphasized and the incumbent president N Srinivasan follows in this tradition. The media too have always been happy with the highly professional arrangements at this ground.

Please read more at:

1. Chepauk Cricket Ground - 1891
In the foreground in is the famed long bar in the pavillion of the Madras Cricket Club. In 1865 the club moved from the Island grounds Chepauk. This bar was in use till 1990 before being replaced with a brand new bar. Watching cricket was never the same again.

1574041668357.png

Source: http://themadrasday.in/2008/madrasday2005/gallery1.htm

Last edited:
Did you know?
By Chitra Madhavan

1574129280149.png

Some interesting facts about this Divya Desam.

The Parthasarathy Swamy temple in Tiruvallikeni is the only Divya Desam among the 108 strictly within Chennai city limits. The other two Divya Desams close to Chennai are the Nityakalyana Perumal temple in Thiruvidanthai and the Ranganatha Swami temple in Thiruneermalai (both in Kanchipuram District).

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back