• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sir என்பதின் விரிவாக்கம் என்ன

Status
Not open for further replies.

ஆங்கிலேயர் நமக்கு அளித்த அடிமை வார்த்தை இது .சார் என்று அவர்களை அழைப்பதில் அவர்கள் பெருமை அடைந்தார்கள். SIR என்பதின் அர்த்தம் என்ன என்று கேட்டால் அது தான் Slave I Remain அதாவது நான் உங்களுடைய அடிமை என்பதை நினைவூட்டுகிறேன் என்பதே .ஒரு காலத்தில் அடிமைகள் சொன்ன வார்த்தை இது என்று தெரிந்து கொள்வோம் .அன்பர்களே தயவு செய்து முடிந்தவரை இந்த வார்த்தையை உபயோகபடுத்தாமல் இருக்க முயற்சி செய்வோம்.

According to my understanding the word "sir" is just an honororafic to address seniors in status or age.
An abbreviated form of "sire".
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

In Tamil you call it as Iyya...Even the word Iyer came from this...So there is nothing wrong in Sir..It is a polite way of addressing a man

The honorific Sir used to be added to names of people who were knighted by the King of England once. In the Victorian era and earlier eras in England it was bestowed by the King on those who performed rare feats. It became a honorific for noble families who monopolized it for some time.

So in effect the word means just a noble man.

The British empire extended it to its colonies also. Thus we got a Sir C.P.Ramaswamy Iyer, the Diwan of Travancore, and many others in the north and west and East India who served the British empire well.

Being an erstwhile colony of the British empire, India retained the Sir to address any one who is a noble man. So all Govt. Babus and Seniors in Office became Sirs. all Judges, senior judicial Officers, advocates, professors and all those respectable individuals in course of time became sirs.

While in the Victorian days there was no female sirs, in India we have such sirs in Kerala. I do not know whether they are there in other places. In Tamilnadu the female equivalent of a male Sir is Madam.

Pl tell me how sirji became the norm in north india for addressing all with respect. ..
​ Just an idea, what else?
icon3.png

d34a4054282f2e60bf7d60e6e8309c73.jpg

Google image-il chuttadhu! :)

"Sir" is the honorofic used for people who are awarded KBE Knight commander of British Empire. The equivalent for lady is "Dame" Dame commander of British Empire.

Last edited:
According to my understanding the word "sir" is just an honororafic to address seniors in status or age.
An abbreviated form of "sire".
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

What is the expansion of "sire" sir(I am addressing you just because u r a honourorafic senior in status)

“Sir “ is a respectful or formal term of address used while addressing to a man.
It is known to all persons who respect others and being respected by others. " lol"

Someone's idea to add the respectful suffix 'Ji' to the respected 'Sir'!
icon3.png

Looks overdose of Honour !! Alavukku Minginal amurthamum Visham or Vishamam!!

I think British honorific is SIR and not Siri - Hindutva's is Shree Shri or Sri - common in south - Siri common in north - Ji is like Avargal in Tamil tagged in the end and you got Siriji

Sir - prefix or postfix of the Name? I gathered this from name specisist (Numerologost) The Names are influenced ony by number & not by Vatsu Explanation If Lakshmi Sri is correct as per Numerology then it is so with Sri Lakshmi as well . Position is ignored only Number matters Vastu is only for Manai and Mansions & not for Man Son and their Names! So Sir Narayana or Narayana Sir are Numerology compliant !i

Any Idea? - I have no idea!!

What is the expansion of "sire" sir(I am addressing you just because u r a honourorafic senior in status)

Dear Sri Narasimhan,

As per my understanding the word "Sire" is an archaic form of addressing a "senior " must have been transmitted from Latin. We find its use as a noun in old English (Shakspearian) plays, meaning "father". The word "sired" is also used as a verb in animal (horse) breeding.
I believe "Sir" must be a corrupt form of "Sire".

Warm regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

1. Looks overdose of Honour !! Alavukku Minginal amurthamum Visham or Vishamam!!

.......... 2. Ji is like Avargal in Tamil tagged in the end ....
1. :nono: Ji!

Have you not heard how persons are addressed in meetings?
'madhippiRkuriya (name) aiyyA avargaLE? Sounds three much?? :popcorn:

2. You got it right!

Sir = aiyyA ; Ji = avargaL
Sir Ji = aiyyA avargaL!
icon3.png

What an idea! Tamil fonts in Gmail help in Maths.

How? We can easily copy paste the 'therefore' symbol' which is
'ஃ'.

Originally Posted by Janaki Jambunathan
1. Looks overdose of Honour !! Alavukku Minginal amurthamum Visham or Vishamam!!

1. :nono: Ji!

Have you not heard how persons are addressed in meetings?
'madhippiRkuriya (name) aiyyA avargaLE? Sounds three much?? :popcorn:

Too Much or Three Much of Pugazchi is really Vishamum! Ask the Pulavar specially Pen Paal they are good at it like Avviyar who specilized in Vuyarvu navirchi ! and stopped a war!

This might have been posted alrady in the Thread Poem a day to keep the agony Away

I have No idea !

95. புதியதும் உடைந்ததும்!
பாடியவர்: ஔவையார்.
பாடப்பட்டோன்: அதியமான் நெடுமான் அஞ்சி.
திணை : பாடாண். துறை: வாண் மங்கலம்,

"இவ்வே, பீலி அணிந்து, மாலை சூட்டிக்
கண்திரள் நோன்காழ் திருத்தி, நெய் அணிந்து,
கடியுடை வியன்நக ரவ்வே : அவ்வே,
பகைவர்க் குத்திக், கோடுநுதி சிதைந்து,
கொல்துறைக் குற்றில மாதோ ; என்றும்
உண் டாயின் பதம் கொடுத்து,
இல் லாயின் உடன் உண்ணும்,
இல்லோர் ஒக்கல் தலைவன்,
அண்ணல்எம் கோமான், வைந் நுதி வேலே"

More in this link

https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091226092155AAyStmY

Was this the idea in Dear Narayan Sir,

I have No idea !

............. Was this the idea in Dear Narayan Sir,

I have No idea !
I :wave: -ed to that thread long back! :D

When I wrote to Narayan Sir, I had NO idea whether that variety of grass had camphor smell or not! :confused:

After seeing Sri. Durgadasan's post, I got a clear idea and posted it - only to get into more problems!! :lol:

Too Much or Three Much of Pugazchi is really Vishamum! Ask the Pulavar specially Pen Paal they are good at it like Avviyar who specilized in Vuyarvu navirchi ! and stopped a war!

Let me correct myself It is Vanja Pugaztchi and not Vuyarvu Navirshi

I had no idea!

It is not only Penpal pulavars who have this gift Men also had done it Remember Brutus is an Honourable Man!

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interrèd with their bones.
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious.
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answered it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest—
For Brutus is an honorable man;
So are they all, all honorable men—
Come I to speak in Caesar’s funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me.
But Brutus says he was ambitious,
And Brutus is an honorable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back